Author Topic: Marky Ramone  (Read 6476 times)

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
Marky Ramone
« on: September 09, 2003, 06:07:01 PM »
I had the great good fortune to attend the "Ramones around the world spoken word tour" at Nottingham's Rescue Rooms on Sunday night to see Marky Ramone. It was one was of those events that would either be very tacky or a real night to remember. I'm glad to report it was very much the latter!!!

He had a couple of support bands, Buick 6 and Panic. Buick 6 delivered a very MC5/Iggy and The Stooges style set, but rather disappointing I'm afraid! The singer mumbled between tracks and sang barefoot!

Panic are a far more established and accomplished local punk band who delivered a great set that went down a storm.

Time then for the main event...

Marky had put together some rare Ramones footage (travelogue, live, Induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, etc.) and then wandered on stage to present a couple of sets of slides covering his life (from a photo of him in a suit and bow-tie at 5 that even his mother laughs at!) and career.

Here is a man dubbed "Punk Rock Royalty" by my mate Kim. After recording a couple of "glam" inspired albums with Dust at the ages of 16 and 17, he was in Wayne County's first band - The Back Street Boys! (He said Wayne/Jayne jokingly called him when the boyband of the same name got big so that they could record another album and sue them! This line up recorded the brilliant "Max's Kansas City" single -  a true American classic.

He was next a Voidoid supporting Richard Hell and runner-up to Jerry Nolan for the drum stool in The New York Dolls ("I played "Trash" and "Pills" like I was Keith Moon - you don't do that in a punk band. I learned my lesson that day!!!"). This stood him in good stead for when he was asked to replace Tommy in The Ramones (as he wished to concentrate on songwriting and production for the band).

The first track he recorded was my favourite Ramones track - "I Wanna Be Sedated". The story of his drink-inspired temporary exit followed, before replacing Richie when he recovered. (Apparently they never gave Richie full "Ramone" status, so he left - Marky had just recovered and no longer drinks.)

As he took questions, I asked if he had any Johnny Thunders anecdotes. "Hundreds" he replied rolling his eyes to great laughter. "Give us the first one that comes into your head" I asked. "There was the night at CBGB's that he went to the bathroom to shoot up and got shy" Marky said. He needed to use the toilet, and as it had no door, Johnny wouldn't let him in. As he was desperate, arguing became shouting, then shoving and finally a full scale fight. Blondie's Clem Burke then walked in to find the two friends knocking lumps out of each other, split them up and asked them why they were fighting. Marky and Johnny looked at each other, burst out laughing and went to the bar!!!

The singer from Buick 6 returned (wearing Ramones style baseball boots) with the guitarist and bassist from Panic to blast through a dozen Ramones classics:

Sheena is a Punk Rocker
Rockaway Beach
I Don't Care
I Wanna Be Sedated
Rock and Roll High School
Beat on the Brat
Teenage Lobotamy
I Just Wanna Have Something to Do
Pinhead
Havana Affair
The KKK Took My Baby Away
and Blitzkreig Bop

Great Stuff!

After the show he was happy to answer other questions, etc. and I found him to be a great bloke and very approachable (like TV!).

By the way, he named his favourite British bands as The Pistols, Clash, Damned, Adverts and Sham 69!

If you get the chance to see him - don't miss it. He said he was enjoying it and hoped to return!
TV SM!TH - for the beer and the company! (AND great songs too!)

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
Marky and Captain
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2003, 06:56:41 AM »
Thanks for the review, Fred!
Apparently Captain Sensible will make a guest appearance at his show in Bristol :!: So it is announced on the official Damned website.
Just around the corner and miles away...

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
Captain Ramone!
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2003, 09:10:22 AM »
That would be worth seeing! I can't really imagine a Ramones song with the Captain's wailing lead guitar over it - but I'd love to hear it!

If any one's in the Bristol area any chance of a review?

Offline jock

• Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mohawks.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
    • Email
Marky Ramone
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2003, 09:39:22 AM »
Nice one Fred ... sounds like another great night out for you there m8  8)

do you know if he plans to play Scotland at all ? i know dozens of hardcore ramones fans through this way  ... i wouldnt mind seeing him
too now ...

Uli your right , Captain is doing a slot with him so i heard  ... that'd be great to see ....  8)
Bloody hell !

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
Future Plans
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2003, 02:25:03 PM »
I don't know any specific plans - I managed to ask him if he was going to keep doing this and he said he would as it was fun! Keep your eyes open - it was a great night (and good to see The Adverts getting a namecheck!).

Offline InaG

• Bored Teenager
    • View Profile
Marky Ramone
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2003, 06:11:05 PM »
Sounds like it was a really special kind of gig.
Probably he'll come to Germany anytime. Then I would have the chance to see him.  :)
Give me some place that I can go
where I don't have to justify myself..."

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
Info from The Damned's website - go along if you can...
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2003, 03:47:51 PM »
Captain to guest in Bristol with Marky Ramone

News just in that Captain Sensible will be singing a few Ramones tunes with his mate Marky Ramone and his band at the Bierkeller in Bristol this Sunday (Sept 14th).

They must've hatched this plot during the recent Fiend Fest where Marky was playing in the current Misfits lineup.

The Ramones are Caps favourite punk band and they were the means by which Brian James managed to get the Groundhogs and Egg off Mr Sensibles record player.... well, for a short while anyway!

Cap sang back up vocals on Joey Ramones excellent posthumous album, 'Dont Worry About Me' (we here think 'What a Wonderful World' should have been a monster hit) and is VERY much looking forward to this one... and hearing Markys pre music Ramones anecdotes... they was a wacky bunch, indeed!

Heres Markys September gig list and the tour blurb.............

Sun 7th Rescue Room, Nottingham
Tue 9th Carling Academy 2, Birmingham
Wed 10th The Underworld, London
Thu 11th Rose Theatre, Rugeley
Fri 12th Rock Cafe Stourbridge
Sat 13th Half Moon, Paignton
Sun 14th Bierkeller, Bristol - only show with Cap as guest singer

Marky Ramone - taking his 'Ramones Around The World' spoken-word/multimedia/video experience around the UK very soon. It's described as "the incredible story of the band that invented punk rock and changed the face of popular music forever, told by the man who brought the beat. Marky delivers the no-holds-barred tale of how 4 kids from Forrest Hills, Queens turned the rock world upside down - from 'Teenage Lobotomy' to 'I Wanna Be Sedated' to 'Rock'n'Roll High School' - complete with behind the scenes anecdotes, tales from around the globe and tons of incredible, high energy, rare and never before seen concert footage, questions and answer session, autographs and more!".

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 02:51:48 PM by Uli »

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
Re: Marky Ramone
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2015, 08:46:04 PM »
Stream or listen to Marky talking about his new book:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/extraedition

I heard a little bit in the car about Joey's OCD and it's effect on the band.

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
Re: Marky Ramone
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2015, 12:28:38 AM »
Just listened to this - worth a download.