Author Topic: The TUTS Jukebox > What Are You Playing This Week?  (Read 829970 times)

Offline GJ

• Great Explorer
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: The TUTS Jukebox > What Are You Playing This Week?
« Reply #2040 on: August 23, 2020, 12:34:27 AM »
Have to say I was really disappointed with Duncan Reid's new CD. The 3rd CD was really good which made up for their 1st 2 which had a couple of great songs but nothing else. The new one starts well with 3 good songs but after that all we get is weak wimpy pop. Hard to believe that such a great live band can put out something so poor. Duncan's vocals are awful, he sounds like he's auditioning for Supertramp.

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2041 on: August 23, 2020, 09:32:04 AM »
I have to admit: I haven't listened to Duncan's cd on my stereo (yet), it just seems to me it was made to be listened to while driving my car!  :o

What I don't like about it: some tunes seem "not really new", they remind me of older songs (plus one is a blatant rip-off, I encourage everyone to discover it themselves).

The new one starts well with 3 good songs but after that all we get is weak wimpy pop.

I'd had the same impression with the 3rd one ("Bombs away")... which included quite a few weak pop songs (to my ears).

he sounds like he's auditioning for Supertramp.

He always sung like that, even for The Boys (who now struggle to deliver those vocal parts live).
Just around the corner and miles away...

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2042 on: August 31, 2020, 10:18:59 AM »
Finally I've been able to listen to The Sinclairs. (Last track sounds a bit like The Shadows meet Ennio Morricone!  ;D )

Other than that, I've been digging out old vinyl: Stiv Bator (Disconnected 10"), Neil Young (After the Goldrush)...

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2043 on: September 06, 2020, 04:23:25 PM »
I've found myself playing through the recorded outputs of several bands recently.

The Lurkers two weeks ago - always good fun whatever version of 'the band' you hear.

Last week it was The Runaways - far better in their early glampunk days than the more metal later stuff. I also watched the 'Edgeplay' documentary again last night. Parts of it are really heartbreakingly sad.

Looks like Wire this week - first two albums and associated demos/live recordings so far...
TV SM!TH - for the beer and the company! (AND great songs too!)

Offline Rockula

• Global Moderator
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
« Reply #2044 on: September 08, 2020, 04:42:30 PM »
This week, and for the last couple of weeks, I've been playing mostly Ennio Morricone.

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2045 on: September 28, 2020, 02:42:25 PM »
Needed cheering up and felt nostalgic, so lots of classic Sweet for the last couple of days.
TV SM!TH - for the beer and the company! (AND great songs too!)

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2046 on: September 30, 2020, 10:34:23 AM »
Still love The Sinclairs, very cool.

Other than them, I've been listening to The Dead Boys, Replacements, Keith Richards, Hugo Race, Calexico and others.

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2047 on: October 11, 2020, 12:39:51 PM »
The Waterboys - Room To Roam

Keith Richards - Talk is cheap

The Damned - Live at Shepperton 1980

Hugo Race Fatalists - 24 hours to nowhere