Author Topic: The TUTS Jukebox > What Are You Playing This Week?  (Read 612811 times)

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
Re: The TUTS Jukebox > What Are You Playing This Week?
« Reply #2010 on: February 13, 2018, 12:55:38 PM »
New stuff (Calexico, Dirtmusic) and old stuff (K's Choice, P. Boa, Veljanov, The Sound...), as usual.  8)
Just around the corner and miles away...

Offline GJ

• Great Explorer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2011 on: February 14, 2018, 09:11:21 PM »
Sonny Vincent- Switchblade Summer and Sonny Vincent with Rocket From The Crypt.

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2012 on: February 17, 2018, 11:14:00 AM »
Good idea about Sonny Vincent, maybe I should get out my "Parallax In Wonderland" cd (or Sonny Vincent & Spite)...

After listening to Cheap's "Peel Sessions" (30 years old now), maybe it's time to listen to "Crossing The Red Sea With The Adverts" (40 years ago when it was released!). Will be good to hear some of the songs live next week.  8)

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2013 on: May 26, 2018, 03:24:10 PM »
Thanks to our recent discussion, I've listened to some 80's stuff... e.g.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wIXAkXFgTk

Also Iggy Pop's "Instinct" (1988), not his best album, but Steve Jones' guitar work is great and "High on you" is one of his best songs!

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2014 on: June 19, 2018, 08:36:18 AM »
Lovely interview with Stuart from Mogwai (and a new track from upcoming soundtrack):

https://theculturetrip.com/europe/united-kingdom/england/london/articles/mogwais-stuart-braithwaite-on-how-the-music-industry-has-a-class-problem/
“Probably the Scottish weather. That’s probably where it comes from. Either that or the failures of the Scottish football team.” Guitarist Stuart Braithwaite is chuckling to himself as he explains why his band Mogwai make such mournful music. “Those are probably the main sources of sadness in Scotland.”

The band are currently working on a soundtrack for a secret TV project and will be releasing the score for upcoming sci-fi film KIN next month. Mogwai’s music has been largely lyric-free over the years, although they occasionally bring in a guest vocalist like Aidan Moffat and Gruff Rhys of the Super Furry Animals and sometimes have a go at singing themselves.

There is one musician in particular they’re dying to work with. “Iggy Pop would be great. That’s definitely someone I’d like to get. He’s just a really passionate singer and has a really unique voice and great energy.”

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2015 on: July 11, 2018, 08:44:30 AM »
After seeing Alejandro Escovedo with Don Antonio live last year, I guess the upcoming album is a "must" for me:

True to Escovedo's nature, the upcoming album comes with a curious twist: It was recorded with Don Antonio, a group of young Italian rockers he recently toured Europe with as a backing band. He developed such a strong bond with the band leader, Antonio Gramentiere, that they ended up writing the songs for the album after riding around Texas soaking in the open landscape and eating both pasta and tacos.

"Sonica USA" is the first single off the upcoming album and the track is a loud and boisterous reflection — featuring Wayne Kramer of MC5 on guitar — on Escovedo's youth growing up in Austin when he and his brother Javier played in a punk-before-it-was-punk band called The Zeros.
https://www.npr.org/sections/altlatino/2018/07/10/627451103/alejandro-escovedo-returns-to-punk-roots-with-sonica-usa?live=1&t=1531243608054&t=1531294194568

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2016 on: September 14, 2018, 04:45:50 PM »
Big release day today, not just TV's new album, but also Alejandro Escovedo's new one is out:

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/8474636/alejandro-escovedo-interview-the-crossing
“We wanted it to be timeless,” says Escovedo. “Our story is really not just about what’s happening now. It’s been happening since man traveled looking for food and shelter and better weather or whatever the reasons. It was called migration then. With borders came immigration. Immigration, of course, has been close to me because of my father.”

Escovedo first linked up with Don Antonio in 2017, when he needed a backing band for a European tour. They played more than 30 shows in 45 days, traveling from city to city in a cramped van that somehow fit six musicians and Escovedo’s wife, Nancy. They all became fast friends, and Escovedo fell in love with Don Antonio’s music.

“They weren’t trying to be American in their sound,” he says. “They were sticking to their Italian roots. I liked the idea of soundtrack music and atmospheric music and their willingness to improvise.” The initial trek was so successful that Escovedo went back and played more shows with Don Antonio in southern Italy.
“Traveling in southern Italy, I came to the realization of how similar it was to Mexican culture,” Escovedo says. “It’s desert-like. There’s a lot of Africans there. That gives it a different flavor. The food is spicier. The language, the dialect, is a little different.”

Wayne Kramer of Detroit punk godfathers the MC5 lends his distinctive guitar firepower to “Sonica USA,” another love letter to rebellious rock ‘n’ roll. On that one, Escovedo affirms the power of minority representation in music while shouting out the Chicano punk band his brother Javier formed in L.A. in 1976: “I saw The Zeros and they looked like me!”

Other guests on The Crossing include Peter Perrett and John Perry of criminally unsung U.K. power-popsters The Only Ones. Their appearance on “Waiting for Me” marks their first time recording together in 40 years. Perrett’s low-energy, hyper-British crooning is so damn cool that Escovedo wishes he could record his vocals all over again.

Also, new song by Mariann Faithfull (feat. Nick Cave) is "released" today via yt:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwbCZ5mDZWM

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2017 on: October 06, 2018, 11:37:21 AM »
Apart from TV's excellent new one, I've been playing Alejandro Escovedo (with Don Antonio) "The Crossing": beautiful album!
https://www.austinchronicle.com/music/2018-09-28/alejandro-escovedo-the-crossing/
While preview single "Outlaw for You" plus word of cameos from James Williamson (Stooges) and Wayne Kramer (MC5) indicated Alejandro Escovedo's 12th studio LP might lean punk, The Crossing doesn't boomarang back to the Texan's slam-rock roots. Instead, teamed with Italian cinematic rockers Don Antonio, he and group leader Antonio Gramentieri become Mexican Diego and Italian Salvo searching for the America of the New York Dolls, Ramones, and Jack Kerouac. "I saw the Zeros and they looked like me/ This is the America I want to be!" exults Diego on "Sonica USA," alluding to Javier Escovedo's L.A. punks. Trump's America unfolds in proxy: "America is beautiful, America is ill," snarls Escovedo on "Teenage Luggage," one of his most withering songs

https://americansongwriter.com/2018/09/alejandro-escovedo-crossing/
A cameo from the MC5’s Wayne Kramer on first single “Sonica USA,” with its twisted sax and grinding guitar, is another highlight on this hour-long, widescreen venture. Escovedo is in fine, emotional voice throughout, especially on ballads like the lovely “Cherry Blossom Rain.”

As with the best concept sets, you don’t need to follow the story, or even know there is one, to enjoy these songs, since most stand on their own. They may not be the best or catchiest ones Escovedo has written, but this is one of the most passionate, relevant, politically charged and personal projects he has released in a career pushing 40 years. It’s injected with fire, fury and a thoughtful treatise of the immigrant issue from firsthand experience. But most importantly, he puts the music first, as it always should be.

Other than these new ones, I keep listening to any "old" stuff that crosses my mind: Blondie, Suzy & los Quattro, Sonny Vincent, The Saints, "Twin Peaks" soundtracks...
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 11:41:13 AM by Uli »

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2018 on: October 13, 2018, 10:41:44 AM »
"Are you listening?" is the title of The Franklys' album - and yes, I am listening to it.  :)

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2019 on: October 31, 2018, 03:07:47 PM »
Been listening to The Waterboys, Cranes, Mogwai...

Today maybe it's time to dust off this 7":

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2020 on: Yesterday at 04:44:50 PM »
There are some (newer) cds I never played very often, but when I dig them out in the right moment, I find they're very good, e.g. Family 5 or Ron Emory.