Author Topic: 'THE GREAT BRITON's Mistake' Tj's Manchester Gig Review  (Read 10539 times)

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • True  Results - People Change for Good
    • Email
'THE GREAT BRITON's Mistake' Tj's Manchester Gig Review
« on: April 25, 2004, 03:17:08 PM »
THE GREAT BRITON’S Mistake

What a good day!

84 degrees and scorching. Walked Shady and phoned Jock, Fleagle, Alan, Class and Frenzbob. It’s also boiling in Scotland, London, The South West and The Midlands!

Set off over the Pennines and phoned C5 to see if he had got lost on the way to the gig in Manchester, “Yeah I’m a bit lost because there are some traffic diversions. Hey! That’s TV Smith…” CLUNK!

I phoned back a while later. “Sorry about that Tj, I gave TV a lift to the gig. I told TV that I was his roadey and TV replied, how can you be a roadey, you have only driven me 100 yards?” laughed an excited C5.

I parked up with C5’s help and we met for a drink inside the excellent Briton Protection heritage pub. We saw TV and C5 bought us some of the excellent Gunpowder Mild. ‘Hmm Gunpowder Mild… Guy Fawkes, is that an omen to hear the Ghost Of Westminster tonight’ I think to myself.  TV led me and C5 into the garden on this beautiful evening. I updated them on mine and Lisa’s Dream Quest. I told TV that he wouldn’t like Lisa’s new accounts administration job. “Not McDonalds” gasped TV. “No a venison farm” I nervously replied. “GAWD that’s even worse than McDonalds. Mind you I once found out that one of my biggest fans was a Butcher. After the look on my face when he told me he packed it in and joined the Navy.” I explained about how, after setting my thumb on fire with a serviette and busting my back by picking up the world’s largest rockery stone, my life coach agreed an action with me to not hurt myself for a full week.” “We all had a good laugh about this and made up a few what if stories. We also discussed C5’s Baby Give Me Your Love Tonight. C5 is still not sure, but he is clearly tempted by the thought of supporting THE GREAT MAN at EARTHBOUND 3, next month. Later I explained the song to TV and went through my theory that the reason the baby can’t pick up the phone is that it is on a cupboard that is too high for her to crawl up.

I followed TV and C5 upstairs and as I turned to view the stage I walked straight into a table full of drinks. “Watch it Frank Spencer don’t injure yourself,” joked TV.    

As C5 met his mate Steve, who was at The Manchester Star gig last year, me and TV discussed Spinning Jenny the support band we were watching. “He looks like the bastard son of Paul McCartney” I teased. “Yeah! But he’s not got his ego, the singers a really nice bloke.” As if by design the next song had a Beatles song title in the lyrics. I liked them, some of their songs reminded me off the La’s. I though the singer looked a little like a masculine Pete Shelley.

As me and Steve were discussing the fact that; The Only Ones had indeed recorded more that Another Girl, Another Planet, on came The Came From The Wrong Side Of Town. “This is a bit like what The Only Ones sounded like,” I said to Steve. The singer was a bit of a comedian and he dedicated a song to his late uncle Frank a performer who had played his last gig on the same stage 20 years earlier. “He used to do an amazing act with three ferrets up his trousers and on his last gig he just went one step too far and tried it with three Jack Russell’s,” the singer reminisced dryly.

The room wasn’t too full and then a large group of local popped up large lads had just arrived. “Not sure how to play this one,” said TV to me. “You’ll be great, err break a leg” I hesitantly responded…

“They bought a rocket, they bought a nuclear submarine, they’re playing war games in the snow and mud, with a white flag flying, they put a red bill in my hands, it’s nothing to do with me.” At first I had a ‘Ghost Of Westminster photo moment when I couldn’t figure which song TV had started with. TV performed a real punked up version of Can’t Pay, Won’t Pay at great speed. I told C5 about my moment. “Tj forgets TV Smith lyrics, I can see the headlines in print,” said C5, pulling my leg.

Time for rich man poor man…

As Expensive Being Poor closed TV talked about the rich.

“Fuck ‘em,” shouted one of the lads. “Fuck ‘em indeed,” agreed TV, bursting into Immortal Rich.

Followed by the under-rated Haves and Have Nots. At the back, I made my way around the loud lads and sat right at the front.

“One thing our ‘glorious leader’ has not delivered is the equality he talked about. Tony Be-liar and Margaret Thatcher are just the same.” “It’s Going To Be A Good Day,” sang one of the lads, killing off TV’s planned set and repertoire. “Close, in fact so close…” Enter Not A Bad Day.

The jukebox was up and running as requests flew in left and centre. “One Chord Wonders.”

“Some old punks out there, but not as old as me,” laughed TV hitting the first notes of No Time To Be 21. “You bunch of sad old punks,” jibed TV.

“Being a punk is not all about being loud and aggressive,” announced Teev as he started to play the next shout for Lion And The Lamb.

“We are so obsessed with the fact that we have to be macho and aggressive. They say we agree, when we don’t. It’s Not In My Name.  As TV sings ‘Bad guys come first’ I recall the email he sent me when I got made redundant. It read; I hate it when the bad guys win.

At the back C5 shouts “The Lords Prayer.” “You got it,” responds TV.

“On the same subject,  “New Church.” I screech out “strength within you,” as I sing along in a lack of alcohol induced kind of way.

“Politics and religion try to lead you where you don’t want to go. What IF? They lead the way and no-one followed?” TV really goes for it at the end with a 100 miles per hour guitar climax!

“This song is about one of the biggest influences,” grimaces TV. Enter and Exit Televisions Over.

“Gary Gilmore’s Eye’s,” shouts a sad old punk. “Perhaps he’ll not play it… Of course I’ll fucking play it, but first my Punk Rock Poem.” “A grand is a lie, but it rhymes well,” cuts in TV.

That’s the single, now for some folky crap about the generation after punk I called Generation Y.  

“The day after Saint Georges Day and I’m playing live in Briton’s Protection. Yesterday I was playing in The George in Birmingham. It is ‘The Great British Weekender’. But just to show I’m not really some Great British Fan…Half way through and TV realises his Great British Mistake, as he pushes up the revs and bursts a string.

He makes up for the his mistake of playing such a fast song on acoustic guitar with the world fastest string change. “Fucking hell that was fast!” Follow that? What else but; My String Will Snap.  

“Politicians tell us we are something we are not. Tony is about the death of democracy and this is a song about its sad death. “I ran the gauntlet and they stabbed me through the heart, my world went cold and now I’m The Ghost Of Westminster. – It’s the witchcraft of my peers that left me in this state, so I am condemned to walk besides the stinking Thames.” Wow! The first song off the next album is a gem. A crown jewel. I really like the approach TV takes with the lyrics, very dark and gothic and what a subject matter – the sad death of democracy and its doom, damnation and constant torture. TV is the true GREAT BRITON.

“Free World” shouts Steve. “March Of The Giants,” “Quickstep,” My Place,” shout other fans. “Wow! So many requests at my age my memory can’t keep up with you,” quips TV. “I haven’t played Free World for ages so let’s kick off with that. We all know the environment is fucked, but they only talk about it when they feel like it.”  

What were those other requests?” “One was March Of The Giants,” I remind TV.  Since I became 48 I lost my memory. A round of applause for being 48 please… I received a Zimmer frame as a present, but the problem is, is that you can tell what it is, before you take the wrapping paper off.

After the Giants fade, TV says “They promised me the G-mex, at least we are opposite their car park. This is how I like it, up close, friendly and personal. It doesn’t matter how big and important you are what is important is who you are and where you are.” Welcome to My Place. “I live of hope of better days.”

Thanks to you all for coming. Thanks to Spinning Jenny and We Came From The Other Side Of Town. If we had a different record industry you would all be superstars. Not Britney Spears and the other pop idols. This painting behind me has a picture of Britney Spears in 10 years time on it.” The audience howled with laughter. “Just a couple of minutes of go, so time for a fast finish. “Quickstep,” shouted the last jukebox caller. “It’s quicker than Quickstep, its Bored Teenagers.”

“Mooorrreeee, mooorrreeee, mooorrreeee,” scream the enthusiastic audience.

Re-enter THE GREAT BRITON… “As I am playing in front of Britney, and look he is Robby Williams and he’s Justin Timbershite,” jokes TV pointing at the other characters on the painting. This one is for pop idols everywhere, because I Know What You Want. I take a last minute photo of TV as he gives his best Britney, Robby and Justin specimen grin.    

“HEYYYYYYY!!!!! You’re a star!” screams Quickstep, clearly forgiving TV for not playing his jukebox request. “What a nice gig, I’ll come back again!” Thanks TV.

As TV opens the shop and chats to his fans I sneak downstairs and acquire the classy TV advertising poster. ‘Time to bring back the back of the bog door gig shrine,’ I think to myself. C5 and I say farewell to a well chuffed Free World Steve and we go over to say farewell, thanks and sign my poster m8 to Teev. “Is this for the back of the bog door?” asks TV. “Yes, but don’t write ‘I’m glad I can’t see what you are doing on it’, because Lisa made me take down my last one like that.”

TV was clearly pleased with the gig, as was C5 and I. “The Ghost Of Westminster, was great this second time round, the death of democracy, great subject,” I said to TV. “I know from the demo that it’s a good song, the first off my next album,” TV grinned, “I’ve just got to get it right live.”

“See you at EARTHBOUND 3,” we almost say in unison, United on Tour indeed!

8)
"Deep inside you know it's right to lean towards the light"

Tj Sundown
Leaning towards the Starlight

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
Most Played Songs At Manchester Stats
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2004, 03:45:26 PM »
It's a gig with some surprising songs played stats:

Red Sea  :arrow: 6
March Giants :arrow: 5
Gen Y :arrow: 4
Cast 1000's :arrow: 2
NABD (including NIMN!) :arrow: 2 8O
I Rich :arrow: 1
New Ghost :arrow: 1
Great Explorer :arrow: 0 :cry:
Channel 5 :arrow: 0 - C5 :cry:
80's Demo's :arrow: 0 :cry:

Mind you I decided with EARTHBOUND 3 coming up, not to call out for any requests. :wink:

8)

Tj Sundown

Offline C5

• Republican
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
    • http://www.liverpoolfc.tv
    • Email
WHAT A GREAT REVIEW TJ
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2004, 06:19:42 PM »
UP THERE WITH YOUR BEST
 :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D
If It isn't invented yet, It will be"

Offline Klaus

• Administrator
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • ICQ Messenger - 47852913
    • View Profile
    • http://www.tvsmith.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2004, 08:01:46 PM »
Thanks, TJ. :D
"And if our castle should come tumbling down - We'll fix it up again somehow
We can do anything - That' the wonderful thing...

Carrying On"

Offline shan

• Bored Teenager
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bigbeat.tk
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2004, 09:01:15 PM »
Blimey tj you can gab!!  :wink: Only joking mate - brilliant review  :D
ttp://www.bigbeat.tk

Offline jock

• Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mohawks.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2004, 10:12:53 PM »
8)  8)  8)  8)  well done TJ !  a memory like a computer !! great reveiw

( im sure he should be working for the N M E or Rolling Stone )

8)
Bloody hell !

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
Jock! How could you suggest such a thing!
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2004, 09:04:09 AM »
Surely nobody deserves to write for the NME!

What a pile of crap it is!

Ah for the good old days - when it was decent but Sounds was far better...

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
TJ The Gabbing Memory Man?
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2004, 09:57:25 AM »
Blimey tj you can gab!!  Only joking mate - brilliant review

Shan

No. It is true. I can talk for Briton. :oops:

Well done TJ ! a memory like a computer !! great reveiw

( im sure he should be working for the N M E or Rolling Stone )

Jock

Gee thanks Jock. :oops: Got to admit it's more to do with a pencil and my trusty Tj Sundown Gig Review Books than a good memory. Although it did help doing it the next day. Pitty Lisa wasn't too happy about me writing a gig review while she mowed the lawn. The bad back line didn't work very well iether. So I made a big effort and played "smash the green" at the local bottle bank. Believe me that's a big job. :wink:  :roll:  :oops:

Ah for the good old days - when the NME was decent but Sounds was far better...

Fred

Oh know it's happened yet again. I was a big Sounds reader too. :o

What did you all think off the gigs song stas? Not enough NABD for me. Manchester is always Giants mad though, which is nice. :D Free World was great. :D

8)

Tj Sundown

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
Manchester vs. Derby
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2004, 07:09:26 PM »
Enjoyed this one too, as I did the "Derby Crawl" one...  :D
This one was obviously done a lot faster, still it's as good as the other one.  :o
Just around the corner and miles away...

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
Derby 3 Manchester 2
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2004, 11:59:30 AM »
It was close Uli, but Derby was the best gig of those two, thanks to XBX, The Easy Way and Walk In A Straight Live. TV was on top from full of joy and life. See full brand new review :arrow: http://www.tvsmith.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1193

The Manchester gig review was more detailed because I only had two pints and if you ask Fred and Class, you will find that I was completely shit faced at Derby. :roll:

:D  8)  :D

Tj Sundown

Offline jock

• Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2004, 04:14:25 PM »
OK i take it back about the NME  :oops:   ...  its been a long time sinse i last bought of those music papers ..infact it was when Punk was front page news .

ill stick with Rolling Stone then as thats a heavy weight ...TJ could write for one of those rags im sure tho.

allthough no lists please TJ  :wink:
Bloody hell !

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
No Lists?????
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2004, 12:22:58 AM »
Allthough no lists please TJ

Jock

8O  8O  8O Waaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :cry: :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:

:cry:  8)  :(

Tj Sundown

Offline Mrs Fleagle

• Cast Of Thousands
    • MSN Messenger - aliensathome@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2004, 08:59:34 AM »
Fleagles dad has just picked up 2 copies of old music papers at a boot fair  :roll:

Musical Express and Sounds both from August 27, 1977.  Both have Adverts articles so Fleagle will scan them and send them to Klaus  8)

One does mention Gays birthday, it may give away her age and as a ladies age is something that shouldn't be discussed I am not sure if we should scan this one  :roll:

Mrs Fleagle

P.S Another excellent review TJ
e have guided missiles and misguided men.

Offline jock

• Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2004, 05:09:36 PM »
AH Mrs F we all know what age Gaye is anyway ...

shes 22  :wink:
Bloody hell !

Offline admin

• Administrator
  • New Discoverer
    • View Profile
    • Email