Author Topic: What and When was TV talking about when the "World Pissed On My Purple Patch?"  (Read 16047 times)

Offline jock

• Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mohawks.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
    • Email
ive treid to work this one out for a while but i have to give and ask about the line in the  'future used to be better '   the line ...  ' the world pist on my purple patch '  whats the purple patch ? what does that line mean ? is there any significance to the purple patch ?  just asking as i was asked this same question and to be hinest im not sure about the line myself.

anyone ???
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 12:30:00 PM by Tj »
Bloody hell !

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • True  Results - People Change for Good
    • Email
TV's Purple Patch
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2005, 04:23:31 PM »
I think that the Purple Patch is your finest hour Jock. The time in life when you are performing at your absolute peak.

The thing with TV is he has had so many Purple Patches that I never can work out which is his true Purple Patch.

Here are some examples...

TV's Purple Patch :arrow:

70's

Adverts: Red Sea John Peel sessions.

80's

The final line up of The Mighty Explorers.

90's

The awesome March Of The Giants.

00's

Tv solo at EARTHBOUND 3 in Elland - Not A Bad Day!

...Or maybe he still hasn't reached it yet as Teev keeps getting better and better all the time.

8)
"Deep inside you know it's right to lean towards the light"

Tj Sundown
Leaning towards the Starlight

Offline jock

• Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mohawks.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
    • Email
Thanks
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2005, 01:03:16 PM »
Thanks TJ
That does help a lot ... im sure your spot on there m8 ...and now i can tell
Carol and Moon and my mate who all asked that very question .

cheers
Bloody hell !

Offline JS

• Bored Teenager
    • ICQ Messenger - 157508960
    • View Profile
Purple patches
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2005, 08:20:15 PM »
Hi Jock and TJ,

Once I translated that line into German and I think "purple patch" is something wounded people wear around their arms.
Just like the yellow thing with the black spots blind people wear around their arms....
Well, I could be absolutely wrong, but thatīs how I remember it.....

Jessica
Sometimes life is stranger than fiction

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
The World Pissed On My Bandage
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2005, 06:45:06 PM »
Hmm can't quite see why someone would urinate on such a thing JS 8O

...I think I'll stick with my version, I guess it's an English double meaning saying.

Nice to speak to you again JS. :D

Tj 8)  8O

Tj Sundown

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: What Does TV Mean By The World Pissed On My Purple Patch?
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 11:57:38 AM »
I thought I'd look purple patch up on the internet for you Jock as I want to post about this subject again.

Purple patch, an over‐written passage in which the writer has strained too hard to achieve an impressive effect, by elaborate figures or other means.

The term purple patch is also used in a more general, and more unequivocally positive, sense to refer to a period of outstanding achievement.

A period of good luck.

A purple patch is a period of time when someone or something is successful and doing well.

For me I think TV is probably referring to the second and fourth definitions listed above.

Reading Dave Thompson's book on TV Smith I again began to get obsessed in which period TV was talking about.

Tj Sundown

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
This was my previous guess...

TV's Purple Patch :arrow:

70's

Adverts: Red Sea John Peel sessions.

80's

The final line up of The Mighty Explorers.

90's

The awesome March Of The Giants.

00's

Tv solo at EARTHBOUND 3 in Elland - Not A Bad Day!

Tj 13.02.05

Tj Sundown

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
As stated I think that writing wise TV started a purple patch with his writing of The Future Used To Be Better. This was just as I first saw him live again. In fact he played the song on that occasion. Look what followed.... Not A Bad Day, Swimming In The Flood, Earthbound, Not In My Name, Xmas Bloody Xmas. A definate purple patch, but of course he can't have been talking about the future, so out also goes the EARTHBOUND gigs, the tours with all his great live support bands like Die Toten Hosen, Garden Gang, Punk Lurex OK, 1977, The Midnight Creeps, Bored Teenagers etc etc, Useless with DTH, the mighty MO, his awesome new album In The Arms Of My Enemy and his amazing next album which might just 'Probably' be his best ever.

Here are my best more specific guesses about when TV might have been talking about...

70's Adverts Crossing: First John Peel sessions. The period that followed Gary Gilmore's Eyes up to the release of Red Sea. Safety, 21 and Red Sea should all have been hits. Would Bored Teenagers, Great British Mistake and a '77 release have faired better? We will never know, but this clearly was when TV was most VISIBLE. But was it the purple patch he was singing about?

70's Raw Meat for the Thousands: I still see Cast of Thousands as TV's best Adverts song. Strange was on synth. Their Raw Meat for The Missionaries songs like Some Kind of War, Dance of Death, Summer Fun and Last Human Being are awesome. Cast was shat on my you know who... The GB mistake!  :( And Dik Kid and TV's Raw Meat was never properly released. Was the end of the 70's the pissed on purple patch? 

80's Explorers 1: When Tomahawk Cruise was first released it looked like The Explorers had cracked it. Then it all went a little off kilter. The album wasn't quite what it could have been and the UK Undertones tour and the tour in Germany fell apart. Was this purple patch THE one? 

80's Explorers 2 / 81's Demo's: The group of songs being listed under the Explorers second album post include such classics as the two Dave's favourite demo; Open Up Your Heart, mine and Klaus's favourite Carrying On and me, Lari and Meike's favourite; People Don't Know. TV's voice was simply glorious in this periood. Was this the patch? It might have been. Only TV knows.

80's Channel 5: Dave Thompson and C5 see Channel 5 as TV's purple patch. Does TV agree? Is this THE patch?

80's Demo's: The three albums long post Channel 5 demo's are incredible. They include such classics as Lion and The Lamb and wonders as Drowning On Dry Land and Land Of Plenty. Was this THE patch?

80's Cheap: TV loved Cheap but they were invisible to many. Was this the time he went all purple and the world pissed on him?

90's Giants: Regarded even by TV has a real purple patch. His tour with Tom Robinson is still one of his personal favourite times playing live. But does TV see that the world pissed on him when Giants was released?

90's Immotals: The two Dave's see Big Fish as one of TV's greatest songs. Was Immortal Rich TV's puple patch that the world ignored?

So TUTS what's your view on TV's purple patch that the world pissed on?

We could run a quiz, but we know one man might already have the answer.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 12:36:10 PM by Tj »

Tj Sundown

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
The term purple patch is also used in a more general, and more unequivocally positive, sense to refer to a period of outstanding achievement.

Well, that's what I always thought, I never dared to ask though...  ;)
Just around the corner and miles away...

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
So when do you think TV's purple patch was pissed on Uli?  ;)

Tj Sundown

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
This one is a good guess:
90's Giants: Regarded even by TV has a real purple patch. His tour with Tom Robinson is still one of his personal favourite times playing live. But does TV see that the world pissed on him when Giants was released?

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
Giants and the Tom tour was certanly a clear purple patch Uli, but why do you think TV thinks the World pissed on him at that point?

Tj Sundown

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
Because the album didn't really get the recognition it deserved...
Here's a word from the Tim Cross interview about it:
Tim Cross: As I said earlier, we did our best on "March..", but still no
significant interest from the industry or the press, so what do you do?
You all move on. I couldn't have tried harder to interpret T.V.'s songs
as best as I could, and I couldn't start a new one thinking, "Right,
they didn't like that, so what now?"

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
You could be right, Uli.

What your guess TUT?

Tj Sundown

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
Now that you ask Tj my guess in TV's purple patch that the World pissed on started 30 years ago this month in a rehearsal studioin London and lasted for seven incredibly creative years until Winter 1986 when Cheap took to the stage at the Fulham Greyhound for their first gig.

In other words it was The Explorers > Channel 5 > Legend of the 80's Demo's period.   

Tj Sundown