Author Topic: The Legend of Dave Thompson's TV Times  (Read 8240 times)

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • True  Results - People Change for Good
    • Email
The Legend of Dave Thompson's TV Times
« on: June 03, 2002, 08:49:50 PM »
Thanks for the copies C5 :D

Some great info on The Party Line, The 80's Demo's, Surpirise Surprise and lists from a certain Dave Allen 8O  

Main surprise surprise is that they are not all about TV Smith, The Explorers and The Adverts - that was quite a shock :o They are also quite a bit more Viz like than I expected.

Still I shall start some discussions on them shortly with you and anyone else that has copies or is interested. Including the great lyrics to Lies :D and the first chart  8O

Thanks again Mr Surprise Surprise (bet your glad they changed the title :wink: ) Keep lighting that Fire In The Darkness mate.

8)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 09:38:27 AM by Tj »
"Deep inside you know it's right to lean towards the light"

Tj Sundown
Leaning towards the Starlight

Offline C5

• Republican
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
    • http://www.liverpoolfc.tv
    • Email
TV Times
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2002, 09:30:46 PM »
TJ

Glad you liked them-was unsure how the copying would come out especially as they are 20 years old and the paper they were originally printed on was a bit iffy in the first place.
Thats about half-absolute bugger to copy

BUT

will copy you in on the rest a.s.a.p

I can see a "Fire in the Darkness" I think

MR C5
If It isn't invented yet, It will be"

Offline Klaus

• Administrator
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • ICQ Messenger - 47852913
    • View Profile
    • http://www.tvsmith.com
    • Email
TV Times
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2002, 04:52:21 PM »
Again, thanks from me, too, C5 :D

of course I will try to prepare all of the TV Times for the archives. :)
Wonder, when I find time for doing this. 8O  :?

Klaus
"And if our castle should come tumbling down - We'll fix it up again somehow
We can do anything - That' the wonderful thing...

Carrying On"

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: The Legend of TV Times
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 07:41:48 PM »
...Those posts bring back memories don't they Klaus? :)

As part of my journey through the life and times of TV Smith thanks to the magic ticket I bought from Dave Thompson, I've started printing and reading all C5's missing early editions of TV Times. This will also enable me to sort out C5's collection since he pulled all the staples out to copy them for me and Klaus way back at EARTHBOUND 2002 at Glastonwick 7 in Southwick.

Tj Sundown

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2009, 07:47:37 PM »
TV Times 1

The first edition introduced the TV Smith's (and Explorers) fanzine.

Dave Thompson describes TV Times as a kind of newsletter to keep people interested up to date on The Explorers. A band who are "the most exciting thing to come along in ages."

Sadly Dave's from page comparison to The Adverts doesn't later become true.. "Only this time the magic won't die out so soon.

Mind you as Richard Strange said at Doncaster "look here we are in 2006."

You were right Dave. Magic never dies.

Dave goes on to close the front page with the original plan. Which was for TV and Tim Cross to join forceswith another punk legend. As often happened that Unwelcome Guest called ego loomed larger and live and TV "contented himself merely with luring his drummer, John Towe."

The rest of the four pages in issue 1 focus on the formation of The Great Explorers and early music paper reviews.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 07:52:43 PM by Tj »

Tj Sundown

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2009, 08:01:58 PM »
TV Times 2

The second edition focuses on this forums unsung hero of TV Smith's career; Michael Demsey the Manager of The Adverts, The Explorers and the first few days of TV Smith's solo career.

Sadly Michael passed away after a tragic accident at home in December 6th 1981.

In the interview Michael talks to Dave Thompson about how he met TV and The Adverts and how the rapport in The Explorers is "really unbelievable."

Michael closes the piece with these words about The Great Explorers; "I don't think there's many bands around with so much potential and excitement as this lot. So, give them all you've got, cos that's what they're gonna give you." 

The 2nd edition closes with an advert for The Explorers Fulham Greyhound residence gigs in November and December 1980. 

« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 08:10:01 PM by Tj »

Tj Sundown

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2009, 08:05:19 PM »
Do you want some great news TUTS? :D

You can buy the entire TV Times back catalogue on disc...

TV TIMES - THE COMPLETE SERIES FOR SALE

Between 1980-1984, members of TV Smith's fan club received a free fanzine, running from two to twenty pages, for 43 issues.

The entire series has now been archived on CD, 357 black/white pages of text and images (.bmp) comprising a priceless 357 page archive not only of TV Smith, Adverts and TV Smith's Explorers news, interviews, reviews etc, but also a wealth of related artists... Richard Strange (including a 1981 interview), Doctors of Madness (including a complete band history), Lords of the New Church (three very early interviews, pre-first album), Ian Mitchell Band, Last Touch, many more.

Includes discographies, biographies, family trees, press cuttings, much more. Unpublished in any other form. Photos were taken from one of no more than three surviving complete sets, and reflect the occasionally haphazard photocopying that characterized the series - however, all are readable, while the bmp/bitmap format allows the user to print and reconfigure pages at will.

Disc also includes a couple of unpublished issues, and color originals of several covers.

PRICE $15 + shipping: $1 USA, $2 international.
Contact quatrmass@aol.com to reserve your copy and for payment details.

Tj Sundown

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2009, 11:03:54 AM »
TV Times 3

The third issue of TV's fanzine focused on the rising talent of Mel Wesson. The Great Explorers gifted second keyboard player.

One of the really interesting parts of the interview is where Mel talks about how The Explorers were "as democratic as any band can be." Mel talks about how TV engouraged members of the band to throw in ideas. "...I know I'll get a fair hearing. I don't think many other bands that operate along similar lines, just one principle songwriter, that would allow such freedom." 

...Mel letting is Imagination flow.

Mel's favourite band is Mott The Hoople. I wonder if he went along to the re-union show.

A great piece about a member of the band that I don't know that much about. Nice one Dave.

Does anyone know what Mel is doing now? I couln't find him when I last looked on the net. 
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 11:18:15 AM by Tj »

Tj Sundown

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2009, 11:15:35 AM »
TV Times 4

The fourth edition continues the focus on The Great Explorers with a close look at the Explorers versatile drummer, Dave Sinclair.

In it he talks openly on his decision to join TV's greatest ever band.

His two key reasons were the quality of Tomahawk Cruise which was just being released and how much he enjoyed the people in The Explorers and playing with them. "With The Explorers, I'm with some great musicians, who have some great songs, but most important, some really great people."

Dave's favourite pet is his son called Jack. ;D

Another great piece about the another Explorers I havn't yet met. Dave got in touch with me to wish the 'Exploring madness' tour all the best back in 2006.

Dave's now on guitar in the Dave Sinclair trio. He played a gig with TV several montsh back.

http://www.myspace.com/davidsinclair

http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/36/m_d4d37170e9d54c83a69f02c6432a43ee.jpg

Tj Sundown

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2009, 11:56:24 AM »
TV Times 5

The fifth issue includes lots of photo's of The Great Explorers surrounded by the words to Tomahawk Cruise as it crash lands at the base of the charts.

It also features a great Peter Frame type chart sketched by Tv's Smith's greatest 20th Cetury fan; Dave Thompson. It's called Famous Last Bands Of The Great Explorers.

It's interesting how tied together TV's career has been with The Damned and the Doctors of Madness.  8)

Tj Sundown

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2009, 11:57:40 AM »
In true C5 tradition that's a snippet at the first five issues of TV Times. If you want to find out about Colin Stoner, Erik Russell and the ongoing antics of TV Smith and his Great Explorers then you can buy the entire TV Times back catalogue on disc from Dave 'Ticket' Thompson...

TV TIMES - THE COMPLETE SERIES FOR SALE

Between 1980-1984, members of TV Smith's fan club received a free fanzine, running from two to twenty pages, for 43 issues.

The entire series has now been archived on CD, 357 black/white pages of text and images (.bmp) comprising a priceless 357 page archive not only of TV Smith, Adverts and TV Smith's Explorers news, interviews, reviews etc, but also a wealth of related artists... Richard Strange (including a 1981 interview), Doctors of Madness (including a complete band history), Lords of the New Church (three very early interviews, pre-first album), Ian Mitchell Band, Last Touch, many more.

Includes discographies, biographies, family trees, press cuttings, much more. Unpublished in any other form. Photos were taken from one of no more than three surviving complete sets, and reflect the occasionally haphazard photocopying that characterized the series - however, all are readable, while the bmp/bitmap format allows the user to print and reconfigure pages at will.

Disc also includes a couple of unpublished issues, and color originals of several covers.

PRICE $15 + shipping: $1 USA, $2 international.
Contact quatrmass@aol.com to reserve your copy and for payment details.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 08:02:01 PM by Tj »

Tj Sundown

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2010, 06:31:16 PM »
TV Times 44

Features...

;)

Tj Sundown

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2010, 06:33:07 PM »
This post is especially for my special TUTS friends C5 (whose Mother, Brenda, connected with me on Facebook this week) and Klaus (who's on holiday with those ace Fleagles and the great man this week in England)...

Thanks for the copies C5 

Some great info on The Party Line, The 80's Demo's, Surpirise Surprise and lists from a certain Dave Allen 8O 

Main surprise surprise is that they are not all about TV Smith, The Explorers and The Adverts - that was quite a shock  They are also quite a bit more Viz like than I expected.

Still I shall start some discussions on them shortly with you and anyone else that has copies or is interested. Including the great lyrics to Lies  and the first chart  8O

Thanks again Mr Surprise Surprise (bet your glad they changed the title :wink: ) Keep lighting that Fire In The Darkness mate.

Tj 3.06.10

Glad you liked them-was unsure how the copying would come out especially as they are 20 years old and the paper they were originally printed on was a bit iffy in the first place.
Thats about half-absolute bugger to copy

BUT

will copy you in on the rest a.s.a.p

I can see a "Fire in the Darkness" I think

MR C5 3.06.02

Again, thanks from me, too, C5 

of course I will try to prepare all of the TV Times for the archives. 
Wonder, when I find time for doing this. 8O  :?

Klaus 5.06.02

I've just realised Klaus that I was given the 80s Demos and C5's TV Times copies on the very same day.  :o At EARTHBOUND 1 in Southwick.

...And now almost eight years later TV has announced on the very same day that they are both back for good.

I feel a song coming on and this time it isn't Take That singing Back for Good. ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jXCfMvMYoM]]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jXCfMvMYoM

This ones for us mate, say goodbye to those grey gloomy clouds."

Tj Sundown (Fire in the Darkness Torch Lighter)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 06:48:20 PM by Tj »

Tj Sundown

Offline Klaus

• Administrator
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • ICQ Messenger - 47852913
    • View Profile
    • http://www.tvsmith.com
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2010, 01:14:02 AM »
 :)
Thanks TJ

BTW: Having a great time here with the Fleagles. :-)
It's like home...
They've been joking about the big suitcase I brought.
They will stop laughing when they find out, that this is indeed going to by my home, now....  ;-)

"And if our castle should come tumbling down - We'll fix it up again somehow
We can do anything - That' the wonderful thing...

Carrying On"

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2010, 09:06:12 AM »
Oh dear! They think you are joking.

Poor Fleagles.  :-[

They certainly are the hosts with the mosts.

...Or as the Midnight Creeps used to say "Our Gods!"

Err. Speaking of your homes from home, how big is the suitcase you are bringing to Sunrise House is May? ???

;D ;D ;D

Tj Sundown