Author Topic: MISINFORMATION OVERLOAD ( LP2005 )  (Read 16022 times)

Offline C5

• Republican
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
    • http://www.liverpoolfc.tv
    • Email
MISINFORMATION OVERLOAD ( LP2005 )
« on: February 08, 2006, 04:41:07 PM »
MISINFORMATION OVERLOAD-C5's REVIEW JAN 2006

Well the time has come-arguably the most anticipated release from TV Smith for many a year has finally landed on C5's doorstep here in Southport.

How does it rate?

Does it hold up to the pre-release frenzy communicated via these very forums?

MISINFORMATION OVERLOAD

Good Times Are Back

Once again TV's judgement is absolutely spot on, as it was this track that was released as the radio play single previewing the album. And what a cracker.
I love the power and pace of the song.The production throughout gives the song the live feel of a gig as it races through 4mins 37 secs.
I particularly love the lead guitar that weaves around the melody throughout and the disguised keyboards work well, but to be fair the whole production and arrangement of the track is as tight as a drum..The best track and the highlight of the album 10/10

"Maybe they never went away
Or never really were so great
Maybe they're just a distraction"

Bring The Bull Down

This track has been played live regularly for a while now and is clearly a firm favourite of many T.U.T.S, although it hasn't really stood out of the crowd for me.
It is fair to say then that I was very pleasantly surprised and delighted with the arrangement.
Lyrically I do feel that this song is up there with one of TV's very best -political, biting and blunt.
However the success of this song is in the musical arrangement-how the bass and drum combine to provide the soundtrack to the lyrics and the driving force for the melody is undoubtedly one of TV's finest production moments. Unique, completely different to anything TV has tried before
And it works  9/10

"I'm not dumb
I've got principles
I know right from wrong
Its not difficult"

Not In My Name

About bloody time this song got a full band arrangement. Brilliant absolutely brilliant. What more can I say. It just all works-particularly the guitar work throughout and again the keyboard helps to build the sound not smother it (says he of channel 5 worshipping!)
Methinks Mr Smith is a better guitarist than he gets credit for .
Enough said  10/10

"All my heroes died
When they were still alive
Confused or compromised
Their values undermined"

Small rewards

Another song that has been regularly previewed live and indeed the song that spawned the album title. A pleasant tune, well written, produced and played. Again the guitar work stands out and the keyboard comes to the fore with good effect weaving a beautifully haunting pattern throughout.A welcome addition to the album 8/10

"Where waves of groundless panic
Engulf the planet
We barricade the door

Second Class Citizens

Another song very familiar to the T.U.T.S following its numerous live outings. Carefully crafted lyrics that blend successfully with the music to form another consistent song for the album. Once again the production lends itself to the feel of a live performance, professionally played and vocally very strong. 8/10

"So we zipped our lips
We worked for tips
We aimed ever lower but still missed"

You saved my life then ruined it

This song wins the award for the best intro on the album-don't you just love that keyboard. How catchy is that? It is also probably in the running for the most political song on the album that is in your face. Lets all guess what this is about eh?  :wink:
Very catchy, commercial and the nearest to an anthem on the album. Lets all chant-"My life is not a soap opera"-see what i mean?
Again the keyboard wins the day-leading the musicians and vocalist a merry dance all the way to the finish
Another polished performance   9/10

"Were you the ringmaster
Or just the clown
I trusted you
You let me down"

Right Hands Rise

Can someone tell me where this came from? Oh i know the song, heard it live numerous times blah blah blah but can someone tell me how it became this good. This strong. This GLORIOUS. I mean accoustically its alright-no great shakes but ok! But on this album it is the one track that has been completely transformed overnight.
The production, the vocals-in fact the whole performance has brought out hidden depths that were so well hidden that I didn't know they existed. How I love the verse that bounds along on the back of the rhythm produced by guitar, bass and drum in complete harmony, coupled with the anthemic chorus of "Right Hands Rise"-pushing "saved my life" for the role of the anthem of the album
It works and works well!
Magnificent 10/10

"Who wants it
All the right hands rise
Who deserves it
All the right hands rise"

Ark of Suburbia

One of the newer songs probably less familiar to many T.U.T.S and this song probably represents TV's best vocal performance on the album- a gutsier vocal in tune with the darker sound of the song. Again keyboards and guitar in perfect harmony but for me the drums provide the(weak) glue that pulls everything together-now is that clever or what?  :lol: . The most intriguing song on the album and possibly the one song that will grow more than any other on the album  7/10

"Outside-insurrection
No-one here really cares
Great yawns of apathy everywhere

More than this

Another less familiar song finds its way onto the album. A pleasant if unspectacular little ditty that gently meanders from start to finish.Again expertly played and produced.  7/10

"Still the feeling persists
we're worth more than this
We're right to insist
We deserve more than this

Ghost of Westminster

Probably my favourite new song played live, this has transferred very well to disc. The production and performance are spectacular with once again the keyboards taking centre stage as they move the performance to another level, although the guitar, bass and drums work in perfect harmony. Probably the best lyric on the album and another sterling vocal performance from the Great Man himself  9/10

"Once I was just like you
Substantial, whole and true
Able to influence
The passage of events"

Es Stort Mich Nicht

A new song to me and another fairly dark production and arrangement with the keyboards very striking and at the forefront of this. What is important about this song is what it means-recognition from TV Smith to his german fanbase-a song written and performed in their native language. If you talk about lyrics, deep meanings and thought provoking feelings, then this song says it all.
And I don't understand a word of it-but I don't need to

Worthy of inclusion on the album as a thanks to the German T.U.T.S

10/10 for what its message means

7/10 for me

Es Stort Mich Nicht-sorry google didnt help much  :lol:

Carrying On

And now for the humiliation of C5  :oops: .I get a bad press.People say that I am not a fan of the 80's demos and this is not strictly true. If they were recorded onto an album it would be a good album-not channel 5 quality despite the era but a good album nonetheless. As for Carrying On, it was not one of the best 80's demos but it was a good song. So why do I love the 2006 version as much as I do?

I don't know. I do prefer the softer, gentler reworking with it's summery almost reggie(reggae feel) with the guitar(s) leading the way but it just all comes together to forge the perfect end to the album

This has come as quite a shock to me and I don't know how I will live it down! A very positive end to the album 10/10

"Now we're never gonna look back
Because we've had enough of that"

So that completes the tracklist and the album.

TV has made a very definite change of direction from N.A.B.D. The last album was very very strong in terms of songs but was criticised for its "over the top glossy production" .If you imagine an audience weaned on "Useless" then it is easy to see how N.A.B.D came as a bit of a surprise. As a result TV has hardened the sound, roughened up the edges a bit and produced an album that is more in tune with his following(large numbers of which are in germany and of course his on-line fanclub "THE T.U.T.S.

AND if anyone is in doubt about what his followers mean to him........

READ THE SLEEVE NOTES

It only remains for me to thank TV for this latest album, wish him every success with it, as I believe it has the potential to become his 2nd or 3rd biggest selling album ever.

AND IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE THIS INFORMATION

YOU ARE SADLY

MISINFORMED

C5
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 06:53:20 PM by Tj »
If It isn't invented yet, It will be"

Offline Klaus

• Administrator
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • ICQ Messenger - 47852913
    • View Profile
    • http://www.tvsmith.com
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2006, 06:12:36 PM »
Thanks C5.
Enjoyed reading it.
And I can't tell you how much I was relieved when I saw your 10/10 for Carrying On. 8)

Klaus
"And if our castle should come tumbling down - We'll fix it up again somehow
We can do anything - That' the wonderful thing...

Carrying On"

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
WOW
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2006, 08:29:27 AM »
Wow, C5, another great review, good read and all that.  :D
Liked the way you put in fitting quotes from the songs. Don't always agree with your rating though (only 8/10 for 2nd Class Citizens?)...
 :)
Just around the corner and miles away...

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • True  Results - People Change for Good
    • Email
C5 Alive!
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2006, 03:32:13 PM »
Yeah Uli it's a great song is 2nd Class.

And I was wondering if C5 and I were going to do our special two man review. Guess not. Serves me right for playing Mr Ostrich. :lol:

Great review C5. :D Sounds like once again TV has beaten your expectations. :D

You could resist this line though could you...

People say that I am not a fan of the 80's demos and this is not strictly true. If they were recorded onto an album it would be a good album-not channel 5 quality.

C5

:P Pants I say. :D

And your kind words about Carrying On proves it. With a little bit of fine tuning and the picking out of the best tracks the 80's Demo's would be the second best TV Smith album ever. :D

Not played the Mighty MO much yet as I am busy listening to the new Sparks album before their gig tomorrow night...

Then it's TV's turn prior to Poulton. :D

Can't wait!

8)
"Deep inside you know it's right to lean towards the light"

Tj Sundown
Leaning towards the Starlight

Offline C5

• Republican
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
    • Email
sorry TJ
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2006, 07:59:56 PM »
:cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:

Thought about out 2 man review

And then thought you would be too busy

My fault mate-should have rung you

trying to give you some space

Next time  next time  

C5

Offline HosenFan

• Bored Teenager
    • ICQ Messenger - 320709888
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2006, 02:50:58 PM »
my favourite songs (already live) are:
second class citizens
the ghost of westminster
good times are back
They'll tell you that they love you, like a spider loves a fly.
Promise you you're safe but never look you in the eye.

Offline Gabumon

• Cast Of Thousands
    • ICQ Messenger - 131442393
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gabumon18
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2006, 10:55:38 PM »
my favs live are

You saved my life than ruined it
Ark of Suburbia
All the Right Hands rise
Bring the Bull down
Welcome to the Chelsea Girl Store!

:D

Offline HosenFan

• Bored Teenager
    • ICQ Messenger - 320709888
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2006, 01:33:35 PM »
"bring the bull down" and "you saved my life then ruined it" are good live songs together with garden gang
They'll tell you that they love you, like a spider loves a fly.
Promise you you're safe but never look you in the eye.

Offline jock

• Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mohawks.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2006, 12:21:10 PM »
Great reveiw and now that ive heard the album too i can relate to all you said there .  The album is SUPERB , im blown away by it , classic TV Smith ..superb  8)  8)  8)
Bloody hell !

Offline C5

• Republican
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
    • Email
glad you enjoyed it Jock!
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2006, 12:27:16 PM »
:wink:

hahahahaha

C5

Offline jock

• Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mohawks.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2006, 05:58:25 PM »
MRC5 ..im over the Moon with this album , we all love it ,and after playing it now for just over 10 days im getting into every note , we'll be playing the album again tonight whilst downing a few beers ,so im off to get the disk player ready and the CD inserted  :wink:  :)

TOP CLASS ALBUM !   8)  8)  8)

SUPERB !   8)  8)  8)  8)  8)
Bloody hell !

Offline C5

• Republican
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
    • Email
Now that you all know the album Please rate each track
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2006, 10:26:18 PM »
:D  :D  :D

C5

Offline C5

• Republican
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
    • Email
CMON TUTS
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2006, 12:28:55 PM »
Let me know what you really think?

C5

:D  :D  :D  :D

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
rating
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2006, 12:56:46 PM »
The good times are back 10/10
Bring the bull down 9/10
NIMN  9/10
Small Rewards 10/10
2nd Class Citizens  10/10
You saved my life... 6/10
Right Hands Rise  9/10
Ark Of Suburbia  7/10
More than this  6/10
Ghost Of Westminster  8/10
Es stoert mich nicht  5/10
Carrying On 10/10

All in all a great album, some songs I like better than others, but none of them is average at all...  :D
Just around the corner and miles away...

Offline C5

• Republican
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
    • Email
Great Minds think alike
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2006, 01:47:25 PM »
Good scores Uli

For a very strong album

Glad the album carries as well to German Shores

I guess it has gone down well with the DTH fans