Author Topic: Brighton, Basildon and Back  (Read 4220 times)

Offline Mrs Fleagle

• Cast Of Thousands
    • MSN Messenger - aliensathome@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Brighton, Basildon and Back
« on: November 04, 2006, 02:08:56 AM »
Fleagle and I are just back from Basildon, lady luck shined upon us and we got a lift  8)

We have just done our own 48 hour mini tour  :D

Thursday night we were in Brighton, we went to see one of Fleagles old friends playing in his 11 piece Jump, Jive band, they were great musicians and singers and we had a great evening and had a bit of a boogie too.  :D

Tonight (Friday) we went to see one man and his guitar and after the set I realised despite having a great night on Thursday, those 11 people on stage, were not as captivating as the one man and his guitar  8)

Review and full set list to follow (going to bed now)

Mrs Fleagle  :roll:
e have guided missiles and misguided men.

Offline The Parish

• New Discoverer
    • View Profile
Last night in Basildon
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2006, 03:40:41 PM »
Really sad that more Basildonians didn't turn out last night. The event wasn't advertised at all in the local papers and word of mouth doesn't work in these parts because nobody talks to each other.
On a brighter note, being local, it gave my 15 year old daughter the chance to see TV for the first time so it's unlikely I will see the Adverts, Explorers or solo cd's again since I bought her that guitar & mandolin....(Strange that she's denied taking them but I'm woken, along with the neighbours each morning by bursts of "The Great British Mistake" a theme she has heard constantly since being conceived)
Never mind I've still got the vinyl  :lol:
Looking forward to hearing "No Time To Be 51" in the sets next year.

Offline The Parish

• New Discoverer
    • View Profile
Last night in Basildon
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2006, 03:41:08 PM »
Really sad that more Basildonians didn't turn out last night. The event wasn't advertised at all in the local papers and word of mouth doesn't work in these parts because nobody talks to each other.
On a brighter note, being local, it gave my 15 year old daughter the chance to see TV for the first time so it's unlikely I will see the Adverts, Explorers or solo cd's again since I bought her that guitar & mandolin....(Strange that she's denied taking them but I'm woken, along with the neighbours each morning by bursts of "The Great British Mistake" a theme she has heard constantly since being conceived)
Never mind I've still got the vinyl  :lol:
Looking forward to hearing "No Time To Be 51" in the sets next year.

Offline Alan

• The Newshound
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2006, 04:54:12 PM »
Would loved to have gone just a little bit too far....

Offline Mrs Fleagle

• Cast Of Thousands
    • MSN Messenger - aliensathome@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Basildon
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2006, 07:04:49 PM »
Dave from the Straps (who lives just up the road) rings on Thursday to confirm there’s room in his mate Fergie's people carrier for us if we want to go up with them to Basildon.  8)  So the Fleagles are off to Essex. 8)

They want to leave early to miss the traffic chaos of the Friday mass exodus, so we’re at Daves at 2.30pm.  Lloyd the Straps drummer is coming up with us too, but Lloyd is notorious for being late, he lives up to his notoriety and arrives at 3.30pm.  :evil:  There is a lot of fretting as there is still a drum kit to collect and we’re now likely to hit the traffic. Fortunately Lloyd escapes with his life this time, the traffic is not as bad as expected :D On the journey up there’s a lot of swapping of jokes on phones and Lloyd gets Dave to send him the ultimate must have boys ringtone to his phone.  It goes ‘Would the man with the 10 inch penis please come to………..’, I never did catch the end bit due to the sniggering.  :roll:  Lloyd loads it on to his phone straight away.  :D

We find the venue, it’s in quite a residential area and doesn’t look like a pub, the buildings appearance is sort of a cross between a social club and a roadside café.  :?  It’s too early to set up so we drive over to the Library for Grilly's photo exhibition.  We are a bit early for the exhibition and the library is still open with a few people milling about and we head over to look at the photos.  Then we have a classic moment, it’s perfectly quiet as a library should be and Lloyds phone rings, and wonderfully loud and clear ‘Would the man with the 10 inch penis please…’ booms out across the library, the result is one rather flushed and flustered drummer and 4 persons with shaking shoulders, trying not to laugh out loud.  :lol:

Grilly is in the car park and we help him bring in some drink and nibbles, then go off in search of food. Not much to choose from the others settle for that Mc place and we settle for  Subway. We rendezvous back at the exhibition, have another look at the photo's, a drink and a natter and then it’s off to set the gear up. Fleagle phones TV he is still an hour away.  :?

Inside the venue it’s quite a nice size hall with a bar and stage, much better than the outside appearance suggested. We get our hands stamped with DRFC (seems someones borrowed the local football club stamp)  :D  The Straps run through a few songs and then TV finally turns up  with Dirty Love, the other band playing, there had been trouble with the trains.  :?

The place starts to fill up, but alas as tends to happen down south the crowd is knowhere as big as it should be.  :cry:  Dirty love play their set, the voluptuous lead singer makes the most of her long mike lead and goes out into the audience, and singing seductively to some of the men, who look a little bit unnerved by the experience.  :D Then it’s Teev’s set next, he takes this slot so he has time to get his last train. :?

He kicks off with

Only One Flavour
Then one of my top 5
What if  8)
Back from the DeadLion and the Lamb (Fleags fav)

He says that he was speaking to Vom whilst in Germany who comes from the area, when Teev says where he’s playing, Vom says he knows the place he was bottled of stage there about 10 years ago  8O  Teev is impressed 4 songs in and no bottles have been thrown.
Then it’s another of Mrs F’s top 5
Tomahawk Cruise (ok I did ask for this one before Teev went on)
And yet another of Mrs F’s top 5
Bring The Bull Down
NIMN
Punk Rock Poem
GGE
Bored Teenagers
Xmas Bloody Xmas
And last but not least
One Chord Wonders.

During the set there were a couple of guys standing next to us and we could hear phrases such as ‘he’s fucking brilliant’ Fleagle spoke to them and I heard them ask who is this guy? :D  It took me back to the first time I saw Teev’s solo set and wouldn’t be surprised if we see these guys again sometime. 8)  Later whilst Teev was manning his merch one of the guys got Teev to sign his T Shirt and Fleagle took their photo.  :D

Then the Straps were on, I hadn’t seen them before and was pleasantly surprised. Certainly will go and see them again (missed them when they last played locally, due to work). Unfortunately a bizarre thing seemed to happen, everyone was drifting off, I don’t know if it was that got to get the last bus/train home thing or you don’t go out after a certain time in Basildon, but there were surprisingly few people left by the end of the evening.  :?

The evening is over and it's back home to Surrey and the journey was so quick we even managed to get the drums dropped off. :D

Mrs Fleagle  :roll:
e have guided missiles and misguided men.

Offline C5

• Republican
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
    • http://www.liverpoolfc.tv
    • Email
fantastic review Mrs F
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2006, 10:17:45 PM »
Thank you

C5

:D  :D  :D  :D
If It isn't invented yet, It will be"

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
great review!
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2006, 12:36:49 PM »
Yeah, a good read, feels almost like being there when reading it.  :)
Just around the corner and miles away...

Offline Alan

• The Newshound
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2006, 05:29:08 PM »
Must got that ring tone....

Cheers for the review Mrs F!

Alan