Author Topic: Hobbies for Winter  (Read 2852 times)

Offline Mrs Fleagle

• Cast Of Thousands
    • MSN Messenger - aliensathome@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hobbies for Winter
« on: November 14, 2006, 10:53:34 AM »
I have recently found myself a new hobby for winter, tracing my family tree (yes somewhat inspired by the series 'Who do you think you are'.) It's something I can do from the comfort of my living room in the winter and by the warmer weather I should have enough info for the heavy duty research  8)

Now here is a bit of advise to anyone else who may have considered doing this, chat to your older relatives for as much info as possible and if there are any old family photo albums make sure someone puts names by the pictures :?

I have my Grandmothers photo album full of old photos with no names  :cry:

I also have two Grandparents of which I have no real starting point at the moment as nobody is certain what their parents were called, and both these grandparents have common names  :cry:

On the grandparent I have progressed with I have managed to go back to 1810, no rich relatives, mainly agrigcultural labourers and coachman so far  :D  

Warning if you do do this it is horribly addictive and you can end up hunched up over your computer until all hours of the morning  :?

Mrs Fleagle
e have guided missiles and misguided men.

Offline jock

• Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mohawks.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
    • Email
Hobbies for Winter
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 08:16:35 PM »
Sounds very interesting Mrs F .  i hope you manage to find your tree,and follow it back many hundreds of years , wouldnt it  brillaint to find some famous people in your familly tree.

is there a site where you can suss out who was in your familly then ? to trace them back ?

8)
Bloody hell !

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
Re: Hobbies for Winter
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2006, 05:46:30 PM »
Quote from: "Mrs Fleagle"
Warning if you do do this it is horribly addictive and you can end up hunched up over your computer until all hours of the morning  

Oh, so I better don't start with it...  :roll:
Don't want to stay on the PC that long. Not good for my back/neck. I'd rather go out and take a walk. (At the mo we have nice weather.)  :)

Guess over winter it's time to listen to old/new records/CD's and watch some DVD's and so on... drinking tea... reading books...  8)
Hope this time I won't have loads of snow to shove around.  :roll:
Just around the corner and miles away...

Offline Mrs Fleagle

• Cast Of Thousands
    • MSN Messenger - aliensathome@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hobbies for Winter
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2006, 10:47:05 PM »
Jock

I have used the Ancestry.co.uk site.  You have to subscribe to see an original census, but you can still search without a subscription you get some information just not all, like the persons proffession, the birth deaths and marriage search is free, although you only get reference numbers on them for the original certificates.  :D

Uli you can play your CD's, drink loads of tea and coffee, whilst your searching  :lol:

Mrs Fleagle  :roll:
e have guided missiles and misguided men.