Author Topic: Iggy Pop  (Read 25183 times)

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
Iggy Pop
« on: December 19, 2006, 10:47:48 AM »
Having listened to Iggy Pop from time to time, especially recently (as I got a live album from '79 with Brian James and Glen Matlock in his band!), it was about time to start a thread on him. He was a major influence on TV Smith (mentioned in the Punkrock poem) after all...  8)

One of the albums which got me started on Iggy was 1990's "Brick By Brick", described as a "patchwork" later, but I liked the guitars on most of the tracks and there's good songs all over it. Of course I also got older albums which I enjoyed a lot, like "Lust For Life" and, needless to say, the old Stooges discs...  :D

What are your favourite albums/songs by Iggy? Or general views on him and his live shows etc. :?:
Just around the corner and miles away...

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
Absolutely brilliant with knobs on!
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2006, 01:16:09 PM »
When he and The Stooges played all of Fun House last year it was fantastic - Tim and Gaye were there and they thought so too!

Offline jock

• Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mohawks.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
    • Email
Iggy Pop
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2006, 02:16:23 PM »
iggy is superb live , a great showman, MENTAL but great .  id like to see him at rebellion , that would be ace .
Bloody hell !

Offline abused and confused

• The Impossible Person
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
im worth a million in prizes
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2006, 08:44:13 PM »
agreed !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i love the bloke !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
now this man is original.
his antholgy is ace though im not too keen on disc two which is the more modern stuff.cd one is sheer fucking brilliance.
markus mellow.  8O
ts not the end but,the BEGINNING.

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
iggy stooge
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2006, 09:59:35 PM »
Well, I just listened to a lot of his stuff. Had a "weak phase" in the 80's it seems. I had the feeling that e.g. the live versions from '79 (like "Dog Food" a.o.) sounded better than the studio versions...
He still had a few good songs, but the awful 80's production is a downer on many of his records between 1980 and 1986... In 1988 he released "Instinct", a hard rocking album with Steve Jones on guitar. Not bad, but still not perfect ("High on you" is one of my favorite songs though).
Having just listened to it, I have to say "Brick By Brick" is still a brilliant album, great songs, good lyrics, also a good production (Don Was). I realised how often I must have listened to these songs in 1990-'91 and how much some of the lyrics had impressed/influenced me...  :o

I saw him in concert in 1993 in Stuttgart and was absolutely blown away, great show! Continued to buy his albums, good songs still to be found.
Didn't like the "Beat 'em up" album from 2001 though, too many boring heavy metal riffs for me. But the song "Ugliness" (which I heard him perform live in 2000) was a good one.
Latest album (with The Stooges and some other bands) was quite good again, let's see what comes next. Is he still playing with The Stooges currently :?:

Offline abused and confused

• The Impossible Person
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
uli
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2006, 10:31:40 AM »
get some one to burn the first disc of the antholgy its great loadsve stooges etc. live and studio.
disc two ,most of its awfull.
ts not the end but,the BEGINNING.

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
stoogies
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2007, 11:08:35 AM »
Had a look at the Anthology in a shop not long ago...
But I think I got most or all of the tracks on disc 1 in some form or other. One album I will get that is missing in my collection though is "Kill City" by Iggy & James Williamson (or wots his name).

Apparently Iggy & The Stooges are (were) recording a new album due for release in 2007 :!:
Bass duties will be handled by Mike Watt, the other (original) members are the Asheton brothers I think...

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
The Stooges
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2007, 10:29:40 AM »
Meanwhile I got the new studio album by The Stooges called "The Weirdness".
It's okay, but (as expected) not as good as the old ones. Considering they're old sods of about 60 years, they still kick some ass...
Lyrics are pretty poor though; Iggy should ask TV for some advice, he's whining about women who took his money or ran off with a mexican guy. Yawn.  :P
Still, I would probably go and see them play live if they came up close (and it's not 50 Euro+ prices), just to hear some of the old stuff would be worth it.  :)

Offline Rockula

• Global Moderator
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
Re: Iggy Pop
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2007, 04:39:09 PM »
Get 'Raw Power'. It's all you'll need. 8)

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2007, 06:27:08 PM »
Not that "Raw Power" is bad, not at all, it's "proto-punk" at it's best, but the sound is awful...
I don't listen to my vinyl very often. Some songs are classics (Search and destroy etc.) and I got them on mix tapes, in live versions etc., but the album itself is hardly listenable to as a whole (for me)...
Should I ever meet David Bowie, I'll first shake his hand for all the songs he wrote and sang - and then I'll give him a kick for ruining the sound on "Raw Power". (Well, it might have to do with the believable rumour of him and Iggy shooting up the advance money from the record company up their arms instead of investing in studio time...*lol*)

Offline Willi

• Bored Teenager
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2007, 05:33:43 AM »
Uli - Have you heard the remixed version of Raw Power?  It came out a few years back - remixed by Iggy. 

The sound is still...raw...but in the way you might want it to be and the remix salvages a lot of the lost drums and bass from the original. 

It is a much better version and much more listenable.

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2007, 11:15:40 AM »
No I haven't heard it. It came out shortly after I'd bought my vinyl copy of Raw Power and I couldn't be bothered to buy this album for a second time...  >:(
Maybe I should give it a try now. Or maybe not, I can still listen to the other albums by The Stooges.

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2008, 12:24:38 PM »
 Iggy Pop injured on London stage 

Iggy Pop injured his leg badly during a performance in London.

The wild rocker hurt his limb after falling awkwardly from a speaker stack he was climbing at the Get Loaded in the Park festival on Sunday (24.08.08).

Iggy, 61, gave an energetic and raucous performance with his band The Stooges, which saw the crowd invited on stage during the song 'No Fun'. He also jumped into the front row of the crowd for 'I Want to be your Dog'.

Despite his injury, Iggy gave an energetic performance to close the festival against a backdrop of fireworks.

Iggy is no stranger to crowd interaction or injury, and he recently vowed not to hold back during performances despite his advancing years.

He said: "Only once has it turned out really badly. I was on this dumb tour and was determined to outdo The Bloodhound Gang. All these little kids were looking at me thinking, 'Who is this weird old man?' So I did a predator drone on them - a surprise dive. They moved away and I dislocated my shoulder." 

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2008, 07:54:02 AM »
Unfortunately I'm going to miss Iggy & the Stooges tonight (they'll be playing Rock am See with Die Aerzte and others). I have to go to a birthday and drink lots of beer (I know, it's a hard task but someone's gotta do it).  :P

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2008, 10:26:03 AM »
You have our deepest sympathy...