Author Topic: Iggy Pop  (Read 25199 times)

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
Re: Iggy Pop
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2009, 01:43:56 PM »
Iggy Pop plans to re-form the StoogesThe frenetic frontman hopes to reunite with Stooges guitarist James Williamson to complete the band's Raw Power-era lineup

Sean Michaels guardian.co.uk, Friday 22 May 2009 09.39 BST Article history

Raw is more ... Iggy Pop plans to revive the second incarnation of the Stooges.

Five months after the death of guitarist Ron Asheton, Iggy Pop announced this week that he plans to re-form the Stooges. The singer hopes to reunite with Stooges guitarist James Williamson to perform tracks from their legendary Raw Power album.

"There is always Iggy and the Stooges, the second growth of the band," Pop told the Australian. "I had a meeting in LA last week with James [Williamson]. It was the first time we had seen each other in 30 years. So we talked about doing something together. Raw Power would be the repertoire."

Released in 1973, Raw Power is a punk-rock touchstone. Its eight songs were co-written by Pop and Williamson, and mixed by David Bowie. Nirvana's Kurt Cobain frequently called it his all-time favourite album and Henry Rollins has the title of one of the album's songs, Search and Destroy, tattooed on his back.

If the Stooges go back on tour, Mike Watt of the Minutemen is strongly rumoured to replace the late Ron Asheton on bass. No dates have yet been announced.

Iggy Pop's new album, a jazzy record inspired by a Michel Houellebecq novel, was released this week.

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2009, 01:22:28 PM »

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2009, 01:28:10 PM »

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2009, 05:32:57 PM »
Thanks for the link, Fred, might give it a listen via the stream later on...  8)
Just around the corner and miles away...

Offline Nick

• Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
    • Nick
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2009, 12:04:16 PM »
Not that "Raw Power" is bad, not at all, it's "proto-punk" at it's best, but the sound is awful...
I don't listen to my vinyl very often. Some songs are classics (Search and destroy etc.) and I got them on mix tapes, in live versions etc., but the album itself is hardly listenable to as a whole (for me)...
Should I ever meet David Bowie, I'll first shake his hand for all the songs he wrote and sang - and then I'll give him a kick for ruining the sound on "Raw Power". (Well, it might have to do with the believable rumour of him and Iggy shooting up the advance money from the record company up their arms instead of investing in studio time...*lol*)

Raw Power was the first Iggy lp I bought. I have no problem with the sound quality I thought it sounded great. It is still my fave iggy album (although I have not heard all of them)

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2009, 12:37:37 PM »
Hm, the way I remember it, the drums are way too low in the mix etc.
It's a good record, but compared to the two previous Stooges albums doesn't sound too well to my ears.

Anyway, should Iggy & the Stooges indeed reform to play this album (plus other stuff?), I might like to go and see them.  8)

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2009, 01:48:32 PM »
Might?

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2009, 07:43:16 AM »
Yes, I said "might", as it depends on where they play and how long etc. (I won't be travelling for hours to see them play for 45 minutes)!

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2009, 09:44:10 AM »
Do!

Seriously, I really hope this comes off!

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2009, 12:59:52 PM »

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2009, 01:40:46 PM »

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2009, 01:42:58 PM »
It's all going very wrong...

"8th October 2009
Source: NZ Herald

Telecommunications and internet provider Orcon have signed a deal with 62-year-old punk rock legend Iggy Pop for a promotion inviting musicians to audition for one of eight spots to re-record his track The Passenger, via the company's Facebook page. Images from auditions, plus the final recording, which will made over an internet link with Pop at his Miami studio, will be used in a television commercial to screen in November. Customers of any internet service provider are able to enter, with the finalists connected to the Orcon service for the recording session.

To upload your audition visit www.facebook.com/Orcon
Entries close October 22."

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile