Author Topic: Iggy Pop  (Read 25193 times)

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
Re: Iggy Pop
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2010, 02:36:40 PM »

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2010, 11:10:15 AM »
Iggy is guesting on the solo album by Slash (ex GN'R and whatever):

Slash said about the recording process Iggy was the first guy to come in the studio and put a vocal down. When I sent him the song he called me up a couple of days later and over the phone, on my answering machine he left him singing the words while the demo I sent him was playing off the stereo in the background. It was so rock n roll, it was really, really cool.
I flew him in from Miami and he came in and put that down. It was just great, he sort of set the tone for the whole record.

http://lyricsslashalbum.blogspot.com/2010/03/were-all-gonna-die-lyrics-slash-and.html
Just around the corner and miles away...

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2011, 02:54:21 PM »

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2011, 04:02:45 PM »
...suggested that he would prefer to "make the score for an intelligent video game" rather than release a traditional LP.

Trouble is that many of those games are really stupid...   :P

I'd prefer an LP/CD especially if it's a band of old sods like the Stooges.  ;D

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2011, 06:23:35 PM »
Ditto - looooooooooooooooooooooove The Stooges!

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2012, 08:17:09 AM »

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2013, 01:12:02 PM »
New Stooges album to be called "Ready To Die":
http://www.music-news.com/shownews.asp?H=The-Stooges-name-new-album-Ready-To-Die&nItemID=62182
The Stooges are readying the follow up to their 2007 album The Weirdness with a new set of raw music to be called Ready to Die.

James Williamson is back in place of the late-Ron Asheton, joining Iggy Pop, bassist Mike Watt and drummer Scott Asheton, and he's also taken on production duties. James was last with the band in the early-70s, co-writing all of the songs on the 1973 classic Raw Power with Iggy.

Looks like the "video game" idea was put off and they went for a "traditional" LP then. Phew.  8)

Offline Rockula

• Global Moderator
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2013, 05:24:53 PM »
Iggy and James together again. Could be brilliant. Just so long as it's not French interpretive jazz again. :)

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2013, 11:02:38 AM »
http://www.music-news.com/shownews.asp?H=Iggy-and-The-Stooges-showcase-at-SXSW&nItemID=63924
"Iggy and the Stooges put on a 16-song/70-minute show that featured nine songs from their upcoming album Ready to Die along with three from Raw Power and two each from The Stooges and Fun House."

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2013, 11:47:23 AM »
Didn't know they have a homepage:
http://www.iggyandthestoogesmusic.com/us/news

Pre-listening clip from new album can also be found here:
http://www.triggerfish.de/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=21096&Itemid=90

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2013, 09:52:40 AM »
Gotta admit what I heard so far sounds a bit "Stooges by numbers", but I guess I'll buy the album...

Nice interview with Williamson:
http://www.fasterlouder.com.au/features/35551/Iggy_and_The_Stooges_How_do_you_live_up_to_an_album_like_Raw_Power

A few sentences from it:
I was fat, dumb and happy as an executive at Sony Electronics so I really had no interest and no idea that Id be playing music again. James Williamson is recalling the moment Iggy Pop asked him to re-join The Stooges back in 2009. Following the death of Ron Asheton, Iggy decided the only way forth for his band was with Williamson, who had quit the biz over three decades earlier. As fate would have it, Williamson was offered a redundancy package from Sony just as his old friend Ig came calling. He decided he owed it to the guys to pick up his guitar again.
"Well, we think that part of the responsibility of being in a band is to do new material, to keep going. So youre right, there is a risk that you run. Especially when you have a seminal album like Raw Power. How do you live up to that? As the producer of this record, I was very much aware of that, but by the same token we thought about all that stuff and this isnt 1971. You cant write in a rear-view mirror, and you cant ever live up to a legacy like that, so what we should do is just write topical songs about whats going on today and write the music the way we feel it today. We cant help but sound like The Stooges because we are The Stooges. I feel now that weve gotten past that hurdle, that the album actually holds up very well. Weve been playing it within the set and I think it all sounds pretty seamless within the context of all our other work. So overall Im very, very happy with it.
We just kind of picked up where we left off. Were a lot older and were hopefully wiser so were not completely drugged out and irresponsible. Were kind of professional now, I guess, that is a better term for it. Basically its the same guys doing pretty much what we started out doing and in that sense its really pretty much the same."

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2014, 12:49:21 PM »