Author Topic: The Damned + The Adverts = Four Chords  (Read 35536 times)

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
The Damned & The Adverts
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2004, 08:50:44 AM »
Quote from: "mart2986"
Nothing better than a good band, loud music, loads of people and a small venue!

And a foul-mouthed guitarist wearing a dress...  :lol:
Watch out for Captain Sensible!
(If you're lucky he won't abuse bananas on stage.)  :wink:
Just around the corner and miles away...

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
What I forgot to say!
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2004, 06:04:18 PM »
Was that they played 2/3 of "Machine Gun Etiquette" for some reason!

Offline jock

• Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mohawks.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
    • Email
The Damned & The Adverts
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2004, 07:42:42 PM »
Hi folks..yeh i seen the Damned last night in edinburgh ..they were superb ! best ive seen them in years , and playing LOADS of old hits ...gret set and like Fred said Jet boy Jet girl ..and Magic Potion is in there , along with loads from Machine gun ettiquete .

i wish they'd drop Eloise from the set cos ive seen them play this for ...well...YEARS at every bloody gig , they couldbve added a few songs in place of this track , but hey i cant complain ..the gig was first class.

jock
Bloody hell !

Offline Alan

• The Newshound
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
Damned
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2004, 10:08:50 AM »
I was always a big Damned fan and was lucky enough to catch them on their first 'come back' tour supporting their new single 'Love Song', when of the best gigs I ever attended... Glad to hear they are back on form, because I was a little disappointed at Morecombe a couple of years ago where they seemed to mangle some of their classics by extending and distending them into something they should never have been...

Alan

Offline jock

• Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
    • Email
The Damned & The Adverts
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2004, 10:44:17 AM »
Yeh Alan your right ..they still do that to Neat N N ,it mutates into Jim Morrisons , Break on through .they done that at the gig a few night ago and its OK but just should be in the middle of N N N  EVER as far as im concearned.
the set started of the same as the first M G E tour with the first song being Love song then belted out a wonderfull M G E set taking me right back to the days when the album hit the shops..GAWD i felt young ,and it was just superb .  the banter between Dave and Captain was great ..also dave saying to Monty (because Monty forgot the intro to a song )  ' This stage reminds me of one of those chocolate bars , you know the ones full of nuts '   hahaa great stuff.  

go see them if you get the chance cos they are worth every penny ..i may try for Glasgow tonight but thats pushing it a bit for us two ,but id LOVE to see that set once more.
Bloody hell !

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
Damned gig
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2004, 12:08:32 PM »
Hey Jock, good to hear you enjoyed the gig so much! Though it's abit nostalgic, I'd love to see them (it's called MGE 25 tour after all)...
Also I hope they'll come up with new material next year and hopefully a German tour again - the last one was in 2000, when I watched a great club gig in Weinheim (surely one of the best I've been to).

Agreed "Eloise" could be dropped, it was okay to play it for a while as it was a big hit, but now it's enough...

Alan, was that around 1996-1997? I think they were doing kinda "greatest hits" shows round that time, simply because the previous line-up had broken up and they had no new stuff (yet)...  :roll:

Offline Alan

• The Newshound
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
The Damned & The Adverts
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2004, 11:20:56 AM »
Uli,

It was the 2003 Wasted event. The newer stuff was fine, they simply wrecked Neat Neat Neat / New Rose...

Loved  'History of the World Part 1' though..... never heard this love before - even on the Black Album tour

Alan

Offline jock

• Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
    • Email
The Damned & The Adverts
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2004, 01:01:12 PM »
Uli
they done a  track called Magic Potion , its good and fitted in with the set ,allthough id have to hear it again to get it set into the old grey matter.

we couldnt make it to Glasgow last night  :cry:  but hey at least we seen em last week . and theres allways the december gig on the 12th IF we manage to get there .

Uli i totally enjoyed that gig , and doing it sober was great too  :roll:  
i might just start a trend here  :wink:  i felt like a teenager again at that show , it just took me right back to the original release and im still buzzing yet ..great stuff.long live punk rock .
Bloody hell !

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
The Damned & The Adverts
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2004, 03:16:36 PM »
Quote from: "jock"
Uli i totally enjoyed that gig , and doing it sober was great too  :roll:  

Wow!  8O
These two words together we have to get used to - Jock and sober :!:

But you're right, being sober at gigs can be better, as things start to blur if you drink much...
For me it's very relaxing to be able to have more than one or two beers at a gig, as most of the time I am the driver anyway, so I'm happy for the few times someone else drives...  :roll:

Hope you'll make it to Wasted, I probably won't!  :(

Alan, HOTW is one I never heard live, don't even know if they played it much back when it was new.  :o

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • True  Results - People Change for Good
    • Email
You Choose!
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2004, 05:00:55 PM »
But you're right, being sober at gigs can be better, as things start to blur if you drink much...
For me it's very relaxing to be able to have more than one or two beers at a gig, as most of the time I am the driver anyway, so I'm happy for the few times someone else drives...

I can never decide which is best being sober and remembering all the gig or being high on ale and energy.

...So I do both. :wink:

I'll be sober at The Damned gig. Drunk at A Strange Bloody Xmas.

8)
"Deep inside you know it's right to lean towards the light"

Tj Sundown
Leaning towards the Starlight

Offline jock

• Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
    • Email
The Damned & The Adverts
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2004, 07:37:55 PM »
Astoria gig on the 12th December ...looks great for TV ..a good slot ..
Doors open 12 noon sharp
ATV - 12.20
SPLODGENESSABOUNDS (with special guests Wurzel, Dave Treganna etc) - 1.05
THE VIBRATORS - 1.55
CHELSEA - 2.45
999 - 3.45
UK SUBS - 4.45
TV SMITH acoustic - 5.40
THE AVENGERS - 6.05
HAZEL O'CONNOR AND SUBTERRANEANS - 7.10
SHAM 69 - 8.30
THE DAMNED - 10.00

Compere for the day is none other than ED TUDORPOLE who'll be entertaining everyone in between sets and there's DJ Dabble who'll be playing all your favourite tunes.

Show finishes at 11.30
Bloody hell !

Offline Mrs Fleagle

• Cast Of Thousands
    • MSN Messenger - aliensathome@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
The Damned & The Adverts
« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2004, 10:12:30 PM »
We're really looking forward to the Wasted Xmas gig it's the only December gig we can get too :D

It's great that TV is playing now aswell the makings of a perfect day and a good excuse to wear our new T Shirts 8)

Mrs Fleagle  :roll:

P.S. Did you see the Damned were turning on the Xmas lights in Cambridge, how cool is that  8) all we got in Sutton was Barney Bear  :cry:
e have guided missiles and misguided men.

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
I said WOT!
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2004, 10:10:26 AM »
Couldn't believe this Mrs F - check out the link!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cambridgeshire/4019459.stm

Offline Mrs Fleagle

• Cast Of Thousands
    • MSN Messenger - aliensathome@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
The Damned & The Adverts
« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2004, 12:26:22 PM »
Fred

Excellent article, I originally read about it in the Metro  :D

So I promptley sent in a letter, saying they should be honoured.  Stating the ammount of work the Damned and other Punk groups do for Punk Aid, unlike the Mega Rich Pop Stars who come out once every 20 years (refering to Band Aid), they didn't print the bit about Mega Rich Pop stars and Band Aid though.

Mrs Fleagle  :roll:
e have guided missiles and misguided men.

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
Nice one!
« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2004, 03:00:26 PM »
Do let us know if you get a reply!!!