Author Topic: Climate Change and CO2?  (Read 18175 times)

Offline Alan

• The Newshound
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
Re: Climate Change and CO2?
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2007, 08:49:36 AM »
Uli

He'll probably just send more to Iraq.....

Offline mart2986

• Bored Teenager
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2007, 11:26:34 AM »
I saw the programme in question, and just the week before had been with my housemate to see Gore's Inconvenient Truth.

I really don't know which one is more/less 'true' if either.

The problem I had with Gore's film, although there were admitantly gaps and questions raised (which one soon answered by the other programme), was that it was just an 'I'm bitter at bush' film. He even opens with the line 'Hi, I'm Al Gore, the ex-future-president of the United States' and continues to be a bitter politician all the way through and seems not to be able to get out of the role, thus undermining the supposed meaning and expression of his film.

Gore also brushes over/misses out bits that would somewhat disprove the theory, such as the temperature rise in the middle ages (where average temperatures were a lot higher than those of today). Whereas the other programme seemed to cover everything, it explained the rise in CO2 etc and then explained Sun Spots etc.

I think out of the two, the second programme appeared more 'scientific' and covered all the facts. Yet, I still find it hard to believe that CO2 isn't the cause.

Our politicians wouldn't be shutting up scientists to get their own point across would they??  :-\

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • True  Results - People Change for Good
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2007, 12:11:24 PM »
Hi Mart,

Nah! I can't believe that.

Or that programme makers would fix their 'facts' to get their point over.

Damned lies and... 
"Deep inside you know it's right to lean towards the light"

Tj Sundown
Leaning towards the Starlight

Offline Alan

• The Newshound
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2007, 01:04:08 PM »
Industry and Government have no reason to make up Global Warming as a man-made condition, quite the opposite. Politicians hate:

- industry hurting distractions
- issues that need the public to change their behaviour
- long-term problems (ie beyound the 4 years of the average Government)
- things they can't bomb

Inconvenient Truth is one-dimensional but it needs to be put in the context of particularly strong ignorance of the issue in the US, if it had been more balanced it would not have had the necessary impact.

The evidence is extremely strong that Global Warming owes a lot to man's actions, and as such we need to act, inaction, waiting for a scientific breakthrough (favoured by Bush), is not the answer

Alan

Class of 79

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2007, 01:17:41 PM »
Try this link if it works to calculate your carbon footprint.
http://www.carbonfootprint.com/calculator.html
My household has 13018 kg of CO2, the average per household is 12034.  My biggest problem is the 10000 a year I drive to and from work.  But the biggest use is the whole family taking 8 flights to Eurpoe. (that's only all 4 of us going on one holiday to the Med) = 4800 kg of CO2. 
I for one am going to make a pledge to lower my carbon footprint.  I'm starting this weekend by buying low energy light bulbs for the whole house and over the coming weeks I'll work out other ways to help.

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • True  Results - People Change for Good
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2007, 05:17:37 PM »
Hi Class.

You Rock!

Good to have you back!
"Deep inside you know it's right to lean towards the light"

Tj Sundown
Leaning towards the Starlight

Class of 79

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2007, 08:42:15 PM »
TJ said
Good to have you back!
I've never been away TJ.  I've just not got much to say.

Offline Alan

• The Newshound
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2007, 10:33:55 PM »
Well now we have a month's worth of rain in a day and I get a tornado outside our house:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSkPJG7IUFc

Not quite the drowning of New Orleans, but i does all point to climate change.....

Alan

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2007, 08:42:07 AM »
So, The Newshound becomes The Weathergirl!

Nice one Al - even the weather is interesting around you!

Offline jock

• Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mohawks.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2007, 09:45:48 AM »
yeh and Scotlands weather allthough IMPROVED is  still very wet and windy...WE NEED SUNSHINE
our winters have calmed down a bit tho ..not so cold anymore ... or is it just me eating too much ready break ?
Bloody hell !

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2007, 10:12:41 AM »
It was like a monsoon here last night - torrential rain and strong winds. The river has burst its banks, the roads are flooded, the weather's awful - hang on, is that Wimbledon? It must be summer!

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2007, 01:01:06 PM »
It seems we get more extremes... If it's hot, it's really hot, if it rains it rains a lot, if it's windy it becomes a storm...  ::)
Just around the corner and miles away...

Offline Gabumon

• Cast Of Thousands
    • ICQ Messenger - 131442393
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gabumon18
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2007, 02:12:47 AM »
It seems we get more extremes... If it's hot, it's really hot, if it rains it rains a lot, if it's windy it becomes a storm...  ::)

normal things during a climatic chance..

My household has 13018 kg of CO2, the average per household is 12034

my had 36510 kg Co²..  :o
Welcome to the Chelsea Girl Store!

:D

Offline Alan

• The Newshound
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
It's Warming Up
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2010, 09:56:50 AM »
It's Warming Up.....

A Greenpeace investigation has identified a little-known, privately owned US oil company as the paymaster of global warming sceptics in the US and Europe.

The environmental campaign group accuses Kansas-based Koch Industries, which owns refineries and operates oil pipelines, of funding 35 conservative and libertarian groups, as well as more than 20 congressmen and senators. Between them, Greenpeace says, these groups and individuals have spread misinformation about climate science and led a sustained assault on climate scientists and green alternatives to fossil fuels.

Greenpeace says that Koch Industries donated nearly $48m (£31.8m) to climate opposition groups between 1997-2008. From 2005-2008, it donated $25m to groups opposed to climate change, nearly three times as much as higher-profile funders that time such as oil company ExxonMobil. Koch also spent $5.7m on political campaigns and $37m on direct lobbying to support fossil fuels.

In a hard-hitting report, which appears to confirm environmentalists' suspicions that there is a well-funded opposition to the science of climate change, Greenpeace accuses the funded groups of "spreading inaccurate and misleading information" about climate science and clean energy companies.

"The company's network of lobbyists, former executives and organisations has created a forceful stream of misinformation that Koch-funded entities produce and disseminate. The propaganda is then replicated, repackaged and echoed many times throughout the Koch-funded web of political front groups and thinktanks," said Greenpeace.

"Koch industries is playing a quiet but dominant role in the global warming debate. This private, out-of-sight corporation has become a financial kingpin of climate science denial and clean energy opposition. On repeated occasions organisations funded by Koch foundations have led the assault on climate science and scientists, 'green jobs', renewable energy and climate policy progress," it says.

The groups include many of the best-known conservative thinktanks in the US, like Americans for Prosperity, the Heritage Foundation, the Cato institute, the Manhattan Institute and the Foundation for research on economics and the environment. All have been involved in "spinning" the "climategate" story or are at the forefront of the anti-global warming debate, says Greenpeace.

Koch Industries is a $100bn-a-year conglomerate dominated by petroleum and chemical interests, with operations in nearly 60 countries and 70,000 employees. It owns refineries which process more than 800,000 barrels of crude oil a day in the US, as well as a refinery in Holland. It has held leases on the heavily polluting tar-sand fields of Alberta, Canada and has interests in coal, oil exploration, chemicals, forestry, and pipelines.

The majority of the group's assets are owned and controlled by Charles and David Koch, two of the four sons of the company's founder. They have been identified by Forbes magazine as the joint ninth richest Americans and the 19th richest men in the world, each worth between $14-16bn.

Koch has also contributed money to politicians, the report said, listing 17 Republicans and four Democrats whose campaign funds got more than $10,000from the company.

Greenpeace accuses the Koch companies of having a notorious environmental record. In 2000 the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) fined Koch industries $30m for its role in 300 oil spills that resulted in more than 3m gallons of crude oil leaking intro ponds, lakes and coastal waters.

"The combination of foundation-funded front groups, big lobbying budgets, political action campaign donations and direct campaign contributions makes Koch Industries and the Koch brothers among the most formidable obstacles to advancing clean energy and climate policy in the US," Greenpeace said.

A spokeswoman for Koch Industries today defended the group's track record on environmental issues. "Koch companies have consistently found innovative and cost-effective ways to ensure sound environmental stewardship and further reduce waste and emissions of greenhouse gases associated with their operations and products," said a statement sent to AFP by Melissa Cohlmia, director of communication. She added: "Based on this experience, we support open, science-based dialogue about climate change and the likely effects of proposed energy policies on the global economy."

Top 10 Koch beneficiaries 2005-2008

Mercatus center: ($9.2m received from Koch grants 2005-2008) Conservative thinktank at George Mason University. This group suggested in 2001 that global warming would be beneficial in winter and at the poles. In 2009 they recommended that nothing be done to cut emissions.

Americans for prosperity. ($5.17m). Have built opposition to clean energy and climate legislation with events across US.

Institute for humane studies ($1.96m). Several prominent climate sceptics have positions here, including Fred Singer and Robert Bradley.

Heritage foundation ($1.62m). Conservative thinktank leads US opposition to climate change science.

Cato Insitute ($1.02m). Thinktank disputes science behind climate change and questions the rationale for taking action.

Manhattan Institute ($800,000). This institute regularly publishes climate science denials.

Washington legal foundation ($655,000) Published articles on the business threats posed by regulation of climate change.

Federalist society for law ($542,000) advocates inaction on global warming

National center for policy analysis ($130,000) NCPA disseminates climate science scepticism.

American council on science and health ($113,800) Has published papers claiming that cutting greenhouse emissions would be detrimental to public health.

From today's Guardian

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2010, 10:00:26 AM »
Comes as no surprise to us I'm sure.

But if it is warming up, why's it bloody freezing today?!