Author Topic: A Great Big Untidy Interview with TV Smith  (Read 2842 times)

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • True  Results - People Change for Good
    • Email
A Great Big Untidy Interview with TV Smith
« on: August 29, 2007, 06:02:34 PM »
Finally got to read that big untidy birthday present that Santa Klaus sent me.

I just love reading TV interviews. He always comes over so well. :D

These are some of my favourite clips...

If I had to choose just one Adverts track for my desert island jukebox, I´d go for Cast Of Thousands.

Clive Product

It was with the release of his 1992 album March Of The Giants that TV´s luck began to change. An album of acoustic songs (folk-punk, if you like), more mellow than before, sure, but certainly not lacking in spirit and social awareness. It is possibly TV´s masterpiece. March Of The Giants put TV back on track and he´s been touring successfully as a solo artist ever since.

Clive Product

Now in his 50s, TV Smith remains a pioneer, a true innovator of the punk movement and, to many a budding musician, a huge inspiration.

Clive Product

People think of punk rock as this kind of typical four blokes in leather jackets playing 100mph music very loud. But then, everything from X-Ray Spex to the Buzzcocks, to The Adverts to The Clash, to the Sex Pistols, you know. Everyone sounded completely different... And they all had great lyrics.

TV Smith

Maybe with punk rock it was just a thing that had to burn, and then fizzle, and then that was it. Then go on to the next thing.

Clive Product

Yeah, I think you´re right. The only shame, it could have developed into a big indie scene, as you were saying, with all the various Rough Trade stuff that was going on. In fact what happened was it all got taken over by the industry and got turned into, you know, new romantic and this Duran Duran and Spandau Ballet thing, which wass totally ghastly. So it was a real shame that the potential was not fulfilled. Although it came back. The punk ethic is now back in the mainstream pretty much, so it wasn´t for nothing.

TV Smith

I mean, the first thing was that we weren´t going to play any Adverts songs. It was a totally new band. And after the nightmare of working in a band where we all hated each other one of my first priorities was that we all got on. I kept Tim Cross, who was in The Adverts at the end, who I got on with really well. The bass player, Colin Stoner, from the Doctors Of Madness who had just broken up, I got on very well with him. These were two very good musicians so I had them as the kind of basis for the band.

TV Smith

The Explorers might not have been a commercial success but this must have been an important stepping stone to what eventually became your solo career.

Clive Product

Totally, totally. I mean, everything has been important to me. There´s nothing I´ve done that I´m unhappy with as a move. It´s easy to look back and then say, “Well, this step was wrong” or “that step was wrong”, but everything developed from the step before. My plan is to get out of where you are and go somewhere else.

TV Smith

I felt if they´re not interested after March Of The Giants then they´ll never be more interested because, to me, March Of The Giants is a classic. (Laughs). I don´t want to boast. It´s really one of my favourite albums.

TV Smith

Finally, when you´ve retired and you´re sitting in your armchair, looking back on your life, what would you like to see?

Clive Product

Frankly, when I´m sitting in the armchair, when I´m retired, hopefully the first thing I´ll do is pick up the guitar and write another song. I certainly don´t like the sound of this sitting around in the armchair, looking back on my life stuff. No thank you! (Laughs).

TV Smith

...Too right Teev. You keep on CARRYING ON. :D

Great to hear the track Cast of Thousands and the album March of The Giants win such aclaim. :D

Hopefully that's enticed you enough to read the full interview TUTS (see the link below).

23 Jul 07 Big Untidy interview
TV's in depth interview with BIg Untidy fanzine from 1999 now available on the web.
Go to this address to download it:
http://www.biguntidy.com/Articles/TVSMITH.pdf
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 06:17:52 PM by Tj »
"Deep inside you know it's right to lean towards the light"

Tj Sundown
Leaning towards the Starlight

Online Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
Re: A Great Big Untidy Interview with TV Smith
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 12:38:36 PM »
Thanks for the link Klaus and TJ!
TV SM!TH - for the beer and the company!

Offline Klaus

• Administrator
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • ICQ Messenger - 47852913
    • View Profile
    • http://www.tvsmith.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2007, 01:47:41 PM »
To be honest, all thanks have to go to TV.
I am lazy nowadays. ;)
I programmed a tool which enables TV to add and edit the news by himself. ;D
"And if our castle should come tumbling down - We'll fix it up again somehow
We can do anything - That' the wonderful thing...

Carrying On"

Online Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007, 01:53:47 PM »
Ok, thanks TV.

Klaus - get your bloody finger out! Too lazy at your age indeed!
TV SM!TH - for the beer and the company!