Author Topic: Final Photo's of Colin Stoner at his last ever gig (with The Doctors of Madness)  (Read 301403 times)

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • True  Results - People Change for Good
    • Email
Fame At Last For Tj
« Reply #105 on: June 08, 2004, 04:13:22 PM »
I've just been reading this from my m8 Joern on :arrow:  http://strange.qxite.de/index.php

The end bit was a bit of a surprise. 8O

Wait untill you check out the 'he most certainly is the only man you' ll ever need' link on Joerns site. 8O

Richard Strange has been the charismatic frontman of the now legendary proto-punk group ' Doctors of Madness '. Since their demise he has been artistically involved in numerous enterprises. Everything is excellently documented at his very own web-site which has been launched by the end of March 2002. You will not only get the latest infos there, but you can even order a variety of goodies and exclusives! Some minor updates have been added to the site since it's start. Check out the press-section and enjoy the confusion Richard created at the BBC.

The story of the Doctors of Madness is told at their official website which is kept by Hugh . As a bonus he even keeps an active messageboard . Amongst the regular posters you will find TJ Sundown who must be considered as the greatest living combined TV Smith and Richard Strange fan-base ever, Brian Harding - a very fine and friendly gentleman, who never was a roadie for the Doctors , but at least got stuck on Danish girls and a certain 'Richard' will sporadically post exciting news. On the board he announced the imminent release of a new Doctors of Madness live album on the Japanese label Captain Trip and you get regular updates for his somewhat hectic schedules. Recently he indicated that there will be new 'Happiness' recordings available and there might be the chance that a new 'Doctors' live CD with the help of Japanese band 'Sister Paul' might see the light of the day.

The album Into The Strange is on sale in Japan since February 02 and can be obtained either from Captain Trip directly or through various online sources. Be sure to get it , because it is not only a historical recording of the last ever performance by the `Doctorsī but also contains a very fine version of the Velvet Underground `What Goes Onī.

All 3 classic Polydor Albums have been re-released by the small Ozit label . The fantastic debut album 'Late night movies - All night brainstorms' has been on the market since 1998 with added bonus tracks . A very fine review recently appeared on Newspaper Taxi Meanwhile Ozit has released 'Figments of Emancipation' and 'Sons of Survival' as well. If you have not bought the Japanese CD releases a couple of years ago they are a special treat with bonus tracks and guest appearances by Dave Vanian and TV Smith.

If you still need further information on the 'Doctors' you can visit the All Music Guide. They have very favourable reviews of the Doctors and their albums. Another great review seemed to be lost forever but thankfully the Trouserpress pages are active again again ! An extremely valuable source - give it a try.

Richard' s solo career as a musician is documented on the All Music Guide as well. Though it does not mention his latest offerings with his group 'Happiness'. You can listen, buy and download their music at Vitaminic in mp3-format or order the cd version at Richard' s site. An absolute must have item since it contains the new classic 'You Will Die!' which was brought to a wider audience at BBC's Today Show.

A collection of Richard' s solo 'Masterpieces' seems to be in the making on the German label 'Ausfahrt' but has not been officially confirmed yet!

All his solo albums and various singles are long deleted and thus hard to find. If you still want to get hold of any of those check out www.cybercd.de, www.netsounds.co.uk, www.musicstack.com, www.gemm.com or www.ebay.com .

Mr. Strange has appeared in several box office hit movies as supporting actor. The latest addition is the forthcoming Martin Scorcese directed movie 'Gangs of New York'. Obviously the scenes with Richard have been edit out - so let' s see whether the DVD version will have some additional footage. His movie and tv activities can be followed at the International Movie Database. Richard even made guest appearences in German TV as a 'butler' which is documented here .

And finally Richard wrote down his story which is being published by Andre Deutsch Ltd. You can order 'Punks and Drunks, Flicks and Kicks' at www.Amazon.co.uk or www.Bookshop.co.uk (WH Smith). Excerpts can be found at Richard' s website. The reviews have been very favourable and the book is enjoyable and intelligently written. Starting in the 50ies and heading straight into the future it is a journey through more than 4 decades. Buy it now !

Accompanying the release of his book Mr. Strange has done a couple of rare live appearences in 2002. He appeared at the 'Glastonwick Beer Festival 2002' and 'Hoxton Hall, London' and did a couple Radio and Tv shows. I will put up some material from the radio shows soon. April 2003 saw him appearing on a short tour in Japan together with David Coulter and the Japanese Group 'Sister Paul' billed as the 'Doctors of Madness' . The tour seems to have been very successful (see also in the news section). The latest developments indicate though that Richard' s career is getting a very new and unusual twist again and he is becoming some sort of very modern ballet-dancer (or maybe my English is just too lousy).

If you want to find out for yourself what can be found in the internet on Richard and 'Doctors' - just try 'Google' or 'Altavista' . Or try an metasearch at Vivisimo.com with it' s cool features

Meaning Serious Business

Our dear friend the most wonderful Mr. Tim Downes (alias Tj Sundown) has finally established his own business. If you need coaching for life, he most certainly is the only man you' ll ever need

Big thanks Joern, you're a star. :D

8)
"Deep inside you know it's right to lean towards the light"

Tj Sundown
Leaning towards the Starlight

Offline Klaus

• Administrator
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • ICQ Messenger - 47852913
    • View Profile
    • http://www.tvsmith.com
    • Email
Re: How Rather STRANGE
« Reply #106 on: June 10, 2004, 12:27:23 AM »
Quote from: "Tj"

And then out of the blue, 25 years later, TV played one of them at a piss up in a brewery and blew away the party's host.

BANG!

Flat out he was.

Thanks again Teev.   :D  

8)

Thanks from me, as well.
Can't remember how many times I got blown away during that gig. :D

Klaus
"And if our castle should come tumbling down - We'll fix it up again somehow
We can do anything - That' the wonderful thing...

Carrying On"

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
Klaus Gets A Blow
« Reply #107 on: June 10, 2004, 09:53:01 AM »
Yep there were so many peaks Klaus and I wanted to jump every single mountain top. But on hearing Some Kind Of War this Golden Eagle was spread out on that cold concrete flour like a good un.

...Good job Jock's photo didn't come out. :wink:  :lol:

Today I will be mostly playing...

Late Night Movies All Night Brainstorms, Mainline Resistance Is Low (live at Oundle School 1976), Figments Of Emancipation, Sons Of Survival, Into The Strange (live at The Music Machine in London 1978), The Live Rise Of Richard Strange (live at Hurrah's in New York 1980), The Phenominal Rise Of Richard Strange, Going Gone, The Rest Is Silence and All Banged Up.

...Ah! Pure Happiness.

8)

Tj Sundown

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
STRANGE On Stoner And The Afterglow
« Reply #108 on: June 27, 2004, 11:06:53 AM »
I've just finished re-reading (again) the 'Doctors Of Madness - Kid & TV Smith Demo's - Phenominal Rise' part of Richard's STRANGE book.
I thought it would be appropriate to share his words on Stoner (awesome bass player with TV Smith's Explorers) and the Afterglow (the name of the Doctors Of Madness fan club that I recently founded).

"Afterglow was a big, squelchy, amorous ballad about pos-coital bliss. It was essentailly an acoustic guitar song, but on the recording the bass guitar really becomes the lead instrument. Stoner plays a beautiful aching, yearning line, full of melody and yet somehow very controlled and restrained. At his best he was a bass player with sublime taste taste and touch. Phil McMeil of the NME got it dead right when he said "[Stoner] is a superbly fluent bassist whose every note, whether guiding the music or soloing against it, is totally in accord with the meaning of the song."

Drums and violin completed the instumental line up, with Peter adding some congas on the middle-eight. The song featured a lot of vocal harmonies from Stoner and Peter, and a certain amount of flanging on the guitars and violin, which made the whole thing swirl and sound very pretty. On reflection I think now that the song starts and stops too often, but that aside, it is one of the best tracks on the album."

Richard goes on to describe the "standout track," a certain Mainlines, recently voted by The AfterGlow, as the best ever Doctors Of Madness song.    

If you haven't got Richard's STRANGE book get it now. It's a definate must read!

8) Tj 'Kid' Sundown

Tj Sundown

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
Doctors Of Madness To Reform Rumour
« Reply #109 on: July 09, 2004, 04:15:56 PM »
8O  8O  8O  8O  8O

8O  8)  8O

:D

Tj Sundown

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
Just Reforming Madness
« Reply #110 on: July 10, 2004, 01:49:47 PM »
Here's my letter to Stoner (bass player with TV Smith's Explorers) on the Doctors Of Madness reformation rumour.

THE EVENT OF THE 21st CENTURY.

You read it first hear TUTS. :D  

I sent a similar email to Richard Strange. :arrow:

How are you Stoner?

I just wanted to tell you about a couple of things.

TV Smith played a special 40 song leaving do gig for me at the Eastwood & Sanders brewery in Elland just over a month ago. He played loads of great and rare songs including The Servant, The Easy Way, Walk Away and a certain Tomahawk Cruise. The free beer on the handpumps that day were First Light (same name as my new Success Coaching Company) and the explosive taste of Tomahawk Cruise. Yep an Explorers beer Ė can you believe it?

The second thing is even more unbelievable. There is a rumour going round that the greatest British band of all time the Doctors Of Madness are due to reform with three original members and tour Japan. Hereís a clip from the www.doctorsofmadness.co.uk The AfterGlow discussion board:

Reformation

Carl Fitch    posted 7/7/04 5:39 PM    

I notice the Doctors of Madness are reforming for a short Japanese tour. Anyone yet heard of dates etc?

Ron    posted 7/7/04 9:50 PM    

WHHHAAAAAAAT??? or in American- Excuse me????

Carl Fitch    posted 7/8/04 7:23 AM    

Apparently all but one of the original members are to reform for about 8 dates around Japan and some of this stuff could be recorded.
hugh    posted 7/8/04 7:51 AM    

news to me... Richard???

Kid Sundown    posted 7/9/04 1:15 PM    

Hmm. If they did it anywhere it would be Japan.
Could it have been confused with Richard's last 'Doctors' tour in Japan?
Blitz has got to be the one missing if it is ligit.
I've allways wanted to go to Japan.
Pitty I'm broke at the moment.  :(
Kid

Tj 'Kid' Sundown    posted 7/10/04 12:19 AM    

I've just emailed Richard and Stoner to see if they know anything about the Doctors Of Madness reforming.
If they genuinely don't then I think it's just a case of 'japanease whispers.'
Tj

Come on Colin tell me itís true please!!!!

Tj    

8)

Tj Sundown

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
It's A Bloody Rumour!
« Reply #111 on: July 11, 2004, 01:12:24 PM »
Just got this email back from Richard. :arrow:

News to me - But I wish them well!

Richard Strange

:cry:  :(  :cry:  8)  :cry:  :(  :cry:

Tj Sundown

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
Such Madness To Be Stoned In This Urban Dillema
« Reply #112 on: July 11, 2004, 02:13:23 PM »
Hi TUTS and The AfterGlow,

As I was getting a shave I thought about Richard's words and then the unthinkable came into my head. What if the three original members that are reforming the Doctors are Stoner, Pete and Blitz?  8O  8O  8O

That way Richard's message made sense.

Eeeeek!

I know Sweet, Mott and The Bay City Rollers did it, but the Doctors of Madness without Richard Strange????  8O  8O  8O

Itís possibly still just a rumour based around Richard's last Japanese tour with David Coulter. But saying that stranger things have happened at sea.

8)

Tj Sundown

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
Is The Dream Over?
« Reply #113 on: July 20, 2004, 02:42:41 PM »
Just got this message from Stoner that answers the rumours about the reunion of the Century. :arrow:

Hi The AfterGlow,
This is part of an email I have just this minute received from Stoner.
It's not good news I'm afraid.

"Hi Tim,
Well Iím sorry to say itís news to me as well. Richard is the only Doctor Iím still in touch with, I havenít seen Pete or Urban for many years, Iíve no idea where they are.
All the best"
Colin

Tj Saddown

:cry:  :cry:  :cry:

This is how the rumours all began. we then had loads of emails flying about but only these few posts on the site. :arrow:

Reformation  
Carl Fitch  posted 7/7/04 5:39 PM    
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I notice the Doctors of Madness are reforming for a short Japanese tour. Anyone yet heard of dates etc?  
Ron  posted 7/7/04 9:50 PM    
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WHHHAAAAAAAT??? or in American- Excuse me????  
Carl Fitch  posted 7/8/04 7:23 AM    
Apparently all but one of the original members are to reform for about 8 dates around Japan and some of this stuff could be recorded.  
hugh  posted 7/8/04 7:51 AM    
news to me... Richard???  
Kid Sundown  posted 7/9/04 1:15 PM    
Hmm. If they did it anywhere it would be Japan.
Could it have been confused with Richard's last 'Doctors' tour in Japan?
Blitz has got to be the one missing if it is ligit.
I've allways wanted to go to Japan.
Pitty I'm broke at the moment.:o(
Kid  
Tj 'Kid' Sundown  posted 7/10/04 12:19 AM    
I've just emailed Richard and Stoner to see if they know anything about the Doctors Of Madness reforming.
If they genuinely don't then I think it's just a case of 'japanease whispers.'
Tj  
Tj  posted 7/11/04 12:23 AM    
Hi TAG's I've just got this email back from Richard:
"News to me - But I wish them well!"
Richard Strange
(_!_) ! Looks like someone has mixed this Japan tour up with the one Richard did with David Coulter a few months ago.
Oh well it was a great thought while it lasted.
Sob! Sob!
Back to arranging the special Yorkshire gig...
Tj Sad&down  
Tj Welldown  posted 7/11/04 12:26 AM    
"I notice the Doctors of Madness are reforming for a short Japanese tour. Anyone yet heard of dates etc?
Apparently all but one of the original members are to reform for about 8 dates around Japan and some of this stuff could be recorded."
Carl Fitch
So Carl where exactly did you find these japanease whispers out and what exactly did it/they say?
Tj

Tj  posted 7/11/04 1:09 PM    
Hi TAG's,
As I was getting a shave I thought about Richard's words and then the unthinkable came into my head. What if the three original members that are reforming the Doctors are Stoner, Pete and Blitz?
That way Richard's message made sense.
Eeeeek!
I know Sweet, Mott and The Bay City Rollers did it, but the Doctors of Madness without Richard Strange????
Itís possibly still just a rumour based around your last Japanese tour. But saying that stranger things have happened at sea.
Tj

Tj  posted 7/12/04 11:51 AM    
Come on Carl and Stoner the suspence is killing me.
PPlllllllleeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaasssssssssseeeeeeeeeee.
If it is true that Stoner, Pete and Blitz are getting together it's nice that Richard has given the reunion tour his blessing. :o)
WAITING!
Tj  
Tj  posted 7/16/04 7:47 AM    
Still WAITING!
No reply to my two emails to Stoner and Carl Fitch has not told us where he got his information from.
Tj
PS: Good to hear that Mainline Steve and $ Dollar Dave, from The AfterGlow, went to see TV Smith with the Midnight Creeps as his backing band in London this week. Apparently it was awesome. I'm off to see them at the Morecambe WASTED Punk Festival on Sunday. :o)

Tj  posted 7/17/04 11:44 AM    
COOL!
I know patience is supoosed to be a virtue but this is getting crazy.
Please can someone confirm or deny these rumours of a reformation? Or at least provide us with some more information and a source of that information so that we can check it out.
Still WAITING!
Tj  
Ron  posted 7/17/04 8:56 PM    
As the replies are not forthcoming I think it is safe to assume that the information is, as suspected, reports of the Richard Strange/Coulter performances past, and anyway I wouldn't have thought it likely that Stoner, Dilemma and Blitz would follow in Richard's tracks through Japan. Shame, Mr. Fitch had us all going there for a moment......  
Tj  posted 7/19/04 1:41 PM    
It's looking that way ron. :o(
I just wish Carl Fitch or Stoner would put us out of our misery.
For a second it looked like a dream come true.
I wonder if it was a wind up or just a missunderstanding based around Richard's recent Japanease tour.
Speaking of which. Does anyone know when that will be released?
Saw TV Smith and the Midnight Creeps headlining at The Wasted Punk Festival last night.
Truely awesome!!!
I bet Mainlines Steve and $Dollar Dave really enjoyed the London show too. :o)
Tj

:P Pants!

Tj Sundown

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
Don't Dream It's Over!
« Reply #114 on: July 20, 2004, 02:44:40 PM »
Hmm

So Richard and Colin are still in touch.

And Colin and TV played a gig together a few years ago.

And Richard and TV have played twice together in Southwick even more recently.

:idea: Hmm I wonder?

Am I JUST EXPLORING MADNESS again?

Tj 'Kid' Sundown  

Tj Sundown

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
question
« Reply #115 on: July 21, 2004, 08:03:39 PM »
TJ, just one question: if the Doctors Of Madness reunion would indeed be happening - would you fly to Japan to see them :?:
Just around the corner and miles away...

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
Tj Takes Japan!
« Reply #116 on: July 23, 2004, 09:28:26 AM »
Well it's clearly not happening as a full reunion, so I am focusing on trying to get TV, Richard and Stoner together for my dream gig. :D

I can't afford any sort of trip abroad at the moment so no I wouldn't go. I've just missed one of the greatest Sparks gigs ever thanks to having no cash. :(

If it happened later I would really love to go. Japan is high on my must visit Countries list and the Doctors of Madness are my favourite Britsih band ever. :D

8)

Tj Sundown

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
Vanian Heads Up The Reformed Doctors Of Madness Shock!"
« Reply #117 on: July 30, 2004, 08:59:39 AM »
Hi TUTS

This is the lastest on the Doctors Of madness reformation. apparently the lead singer is going to be Dave Vanain.

In Carl Fitch's dreams. :P

8)

posted 7/20/04 1:28 PM    
Hi The AfterGlow,
This is part of an email I have just this minute received from Stoner.
It's not good news I'm afraid.
"Hi Tim,
Well Iím sorry to say itís news to me as well. Richard is the only Doctor Iím still in touch with, I havenít seen Pete or Urban for many years, Iíve no idea where they are.
All the best"
Colin
Of course it doesn't rule out my dream of a Richard Strange - Colin Stoner - TV Smith gig. Or am I Just Exploring Madness again?
Tj Saddown

Carl Fitch  posted 7/29/04 7:30 AM    
Yes Urban Blitz Peter Di Lemma and Dave Vanian are to tour Japan with Dave handling vocals. There will only be 8 gigs but these are to be recorded and a DVD made. A fourth member will be guesting for these dates but not announced yet. This is now common knowledge in Japanese Music Press.  
Joern  posted 7/29/04 11:07 AM        
Hi Carl,
which music papers -'Lolling Stone' or 'New Musical Expless'? From what I heard there are even some Korean sources spreading the news that there will be only 1 concert but 8 DVDs insteadt.
:-)

Tj  posted 7/29/04 5:06 PM    
Carl Fitch posted 7/29/04 7:30 AM

"Yes Urban Blitz Peter Di Lemma and Dave Vanian are to tour Japan with Dave handling vocals. There will only be 8 gigs but these are to be recorded and a DVD made. A fourth member will be guesting for these dates but not announced yet. This is now common knowledge in Japanese Music Press."
First how the hell is Dave Vanian "an original member" and second sureley someone would think to ask Stoner and Kid Strange to a Doctors Of Madness reunion.
Thirdly again Strange and Stoner know nothing about it, so who could possibly be "the fourth member" attending as a guest.
This all sound like a bag of shite to me.
Please can you scan and send some of the press cuttings to Hugh at this site.
Tj Getting Bored Now  
Joern  posted 7/29/04 8:04 PM        
Hi TJ,
the fourth member has to be Andy Fordrey. At least he claimed to be a member of the Dox in the past. (See link posted below)
Joern

http://www.texasflood.co.uk/gigs1.htm

hugh  posted 7/29/04 9:10 PM    
ah yes, Andy Fordrey. I asked
Richard about this guy a couple of
years ago. 'Never heard of him' I think
was the reply.
Can't be any worse than the Doors
with Ian Astbury and that bloke from
the Police on drums I suppose. I
can't talk anyway, i have a ticket to
see the 'mc5' with, er, Evan Dando
on vocals...  
Ron  posted 7/29/04 11:04 PM    
Me thinks perhaps Mr. Fitch may need a doctor of, or rather for, madness (a Psychiatrist) as there appears to be some delusional stuff going on here. I too am becoming pissed of at these hope building 'reports' which have no basis in reality. This stuff can only cause real fans to get angry. I Shall look forward to TJ sending me the scanned article. If the information is true my bare arse will be appearing in Woolworths' window, as they say!  
Tj  posted 7/30/04 7:54 AM    
I'm not too happy about this either as this assumed red herring has diverted some of my attention away from setting up my own business.
If it's a joke I just don't get it.
Oh well it's a free world I suppose.
Life goes on.
Tj  

Tj Sundown

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
Re: Tj Takes Japan!
« Reply #118 on: July 30, 2004, 12:49:25 PM »
Quote from: "Tj"
If it happened later I would really love to go. Japan is high on my must visit Countries list and the Doctors of Madness are my favourite Britsih band ever. :D

8)

Yeah, I'm sure Japan is very interesting.

This is the lastest on the Doctors Of madness reformation. apparently the lead singer is going to be Dave Vanain.

Uh, oh, I'm sure Dave Vanian would be surprised to hear such news!
For a good laugh I might mention this on the Damned message board.  :lol:

However, DV will play Japan soon, but with The Damned of course...
Just around the corner and miles away...

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
DV & The Doctors
« Reply #119 on: July 30, 2004, 07:25:40 PM »
I've asked Jock to ask the Captain about it Uli. :wink:

8)

Tj Sundown