Author Topic: Final Photo's of Colin Stoner at his last ever gig (with The Doctors of Madness)  (Read 299069 times)

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • True  Results - People Change for Good
    • Email
Re: TV Smith, Richard 'Kid' Strange & Stoner are Just Exploring Madness
« Reply #330 on: August 23, 2007, 07:33:56 PM »
The Japanease Doctors of Madness. 8) 8) 8)

Richard & David Coulter meet Sister Paul - incredible stuff...

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=13840082

"Deep inside you know it's right to lean towards the light"

Tj Sundown
Leaning towards the Starlight

Offline Klaus

• Administrator
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • ICQ Messenger - 47852913
    • View Profile
    • http://www.tvsmith.com
    • Email
« Reply #331 on: August 23, 2007, 07:36:55 PM »
?
"And if our castle should come tumbling down - We'll fix it up again somehow
We can do anything - That' the wonderful thing...

Carrying On"

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #332 on: August 24, 2007, 10:01:24 PM »
What did you mean by ? mate?

Tj Sundown

Offline Klaus

• Administrator
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • ICQ Messenger - 47852913
    • View Profile
    • http://www.tvsmith.com
    • Email
« Reply #333 on: August 25, 2007, 12:33:56 PM »
When I first saw your post, the link was missing.
Guess you were in the middle of posting it.
The preview button is very handy in cases like that.
Now everything's alright! :D
"And if our castle should come tumbling down - We'll fix it up again somehow
We can do anything - That' the wonderful thing...

Carrying On"

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #334 on: August 27, 2007, 11:06:54 AM »
Ah! Now I see clearly.

Tj Sundown

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #335 on: July 24, 2008, 03:37:30 PM »
Hey look who's back today on my facebook link...

a very happy birthday to you

xx richard strange

:D

Tj Sundown

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #336 on: September 09, 2008, 08:53:57 AM »
In some ways I wish it was two years ago today. :D :D :D

Or am I Just Exploring Madness?

Or dreaming of dreams that came true? ;) :D :D :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQCRaeapYsw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yo1qDfiwYIE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fixOAgIi8Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFpldX8aR3Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cN5G2C4iqU4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUGCohLt1zA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WU5FFWTbfSI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xt0MDQel7PU

Many thanks for making dreams come true to TV Smith, Richard Strange, Colin Stoner, Rocket Ron and Alan the Newshounding Bloater.  :D
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 09:35:54 AM by Tj »

Tj Sundown

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #337 on: September 09, 2008, 09:36:10 AM »
Still buzzing from those two great shows. Shall we do it all again next weekend, TJ? Very best love and thanks to you all for making it so memorable. Richard x

Hi everybody, Big thanks to you all for such a memorable experience. ‘til the next time, my best wishes. Colin Stoner

Just want to add my thanks to everyone for those Earthbound gigs. It was a real pleasure to play for you, and great for me to get the chance to try out some of those rare songs knowing that I was among friends! Those gigs were very special to me and I really appreciate the work many of you put into helping to organise and promote them, and the long distances many of you had to travel to attend. Teamwork did it. Isn't it exciting making something happen? It really was a couple of weeks that I'll never forget (despite the Exploring Madness...never was a beer more aptly named!) TV

TV Smith last played with Richard ‘Kid’ Strange and Stoner at The Doctors Of Madness last gig in October 1978. This cult re-union attracted fans from as far a field as Germany. TV smith hit the stage first blasting out the punk classics Gary Gilmore’s Eyes before the infectious tune and poignant lyrics of Not In My Name. Stoner soon took to the stage to take TV Smith’s Explorers tunes to another level. His fret bass playing was simply sublime.  After a string of Explorers classics and the appropriate dare to dream lyrics of Carrying On. I briefly took to the stage to sing The Servant – all part of the live out your dreams theme. Enter the diversity of the Richard Strange show and a song for Tony Blair “You Will Die.”  Headliners, Kid and Stoner, from The Doctors Of Madness, played melodic timeless songs that transported several of the hard core fans back 30 years to their pre punk hey day. The highlights were Billy Watch Out and the mesmerising Marie & Joe. I again entered the fray to sing a solo on the Ziggyesque Suicide City. The grand finale saw the return of TV Smith as TV, Kid and Stoner played four of the rare demo’s written by TV and Kid at the close of the 70’s; Raw Meat For The Missionaries. The crowd headed for the bar to sink the last few pints of the special Elland ‘Exploring Madness’ ale. Tj Sundown
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 12:55:17 PM by Tj »

Tj Sundown

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #338 on: October 10, 2008, 05:29:44 PM »
Well, well, well at last someone has started talking about "The legends called The Doctors Of Madness."

:D
I'm actually listening to a Japanese CD of Doctors Of Madness' last gig called 'Into The Strange'. Unfortunately the encore with TV Smith is missing from the recording.
 Luckily, however 'The Last Human Being In The World' IS on the recent re release of the 'Sons Of Survival' album on CD as a 'bonus track (as well as the 'Don't Panic England' song with Mr. Vanian).

But, when I looked up the gig it mentions it was a two hour gig which also included an encore with Dave Vanian.

Does anyone know if there's actually a recording of that complete gig out there, and are there any other live recordings of the band WITH the violin before Urban Blitz quit the band?

There doesn't seem to be much in the way of other stuff out there. 

DJ
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 05:36:26 PM by Tj »

Tj Sundown

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #339 on: October 10, 2008, 05:35:35 PM »
:D Thank YOU DJ...

Does anyone know if there's actually a recording of the complete last Doctors of Madness gig out there?

DJ

Send me an email to tj@tvsmith.com, DJ, and I'll send you the rare live recording of TV Smith, Richard Strange, Stoner and Pete Dilemma performing Making Machines at the final Doctors Of Madness gig at the Music Machine. I don't have the complete gig but I do have this, the most important missing song.

...Well it is for me anyway. :D

You can find out more about the Doctors of Madness and the TV Smith & Kid Strange 1978 Demo's called Raw Meat For The Missionaries at the following links...

http://www.tvsmith.com/forum/index.php?topic=44.0

http://www.doorag.f9.co.uk/doctorsofmadness/ They have a forum like this if you click on The Afterglow (the name of the Doctors Of Madness fan club). Hugh who orinated the site has recently interviewed Richard Strange and Pete Dilemma about their days withe the doctors. His first interview was with Doctor Dave Vanian.

When I looked up the gig it mentions it was a two hour gig which also included an encore with Dave Vanian.

DJ

Dave Vanian didn't play at the final gig, that is just a rumour. Dave was however the co-lead singer of the Doctors Of Madness for one last tour prior to the final gig.

Are there any other live recordings of the band WITH the violin before Urban Blitz quit the band?

DJ

Yes. ...An awesome gig at Oulton School.

The Doctors Of Madness were one of the very best live bands I've ever seen. If not THE best.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 06:18:59 PM by Tj »

Tj Sundown

Offline Rockula

• Global Moderator
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: October 10, 2008, 07:48:40 PM »
Thanks a lot TJ. There's a heap of stuff for me to get my teeth, erm, ears into there. I'll message you soon. 8)

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #341 on: October 14, 2008, 04:17:18 PM »
Thansk for the message DJ, let me know what you think of these posts, the music and the Doctors site and AfterGlow forum?

Tj Sundown

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #342 on: October 27, 2009, 06:55:13 PM »
Great to see the Doctors of Madness website is back up and runing and they have a new interview with the great Strange one by Hugh Gulland.  8)

Tj

Strange pray tell... Richard Strange interview, summer 2008

http://www.doorag.f9.co.uk/doctorsofmadness/Meetthedoctors_RS1_newJan09.html
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 07:19:37 PM by Tj »

Tj Sundown

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #343 on: October 27, 2009, 07:24:17 PM »
These are some of the best bits. It's cool to see Bowie's influence get a mention and how The Doctors of Madness influenced a young TV and Gaye who were both fans. Tj

Tj

So the whole blue hair, the eyes thing, there’s a line in your book I think, some journalists asking “who was this outrageous Kid Strange and where did he come from” and it’s still kind of puzzling even after reading your book… Hugh

I knew I wanted to do something theatrical, although I’d come through… my songwriting is very much based in singer-songwriter tradition, Dylan and Jacques Brel and people like Roy Harper, that’s the stuff I was listening to from the age of 14 and that was a form I knew well, but I wanted to adapt it to a different sort of performance model. I like the idea of shock and surpise and outrage, and not many people did. Pop music, you must remember around that time, had become very po-faced until Bowie came along, it was very much about virtuosity more than anything. Ok, there’s an element of bombast and show and lasers and mirror balls and dry ice and all that stuff. But there wasn’t that much in the way of characterisation, of ‘who is this person’… you knew what this band represented as a ‘brand’ if you like. But outside of Bowie, and to an extent, Lou Reed, but… by then the Velvet Underground had broken up and Lou Reed was going through this rather odd period, not really being sure if he was a glam rocker or a serious poet, you know. And remember all this was before punk rock came along. So there is this weird, er, hiatus if you like between the prog rock and the glam rock… and the punk rock.

And that’s roughly where the Doctors set up, 1974, 5, was when I first started writing those songs, ’73, 74, 75, songs like Mainlines and Billy Watch Out, Mitzi’s Cure. All those songs were sort of put together in a two/three year period and that record came out in ’75 remember, so, those songs had been written 72, 73, two or three different permutations of the Doctors before we got signed. And then pretty soon after we got signed in 75 we were in the studio making that record, the four of us who were the Doctors of madness for the duration of those three albums. And it was exciting, an exciting time, we made it up as we went along and not everything we tried worked, commercially, not much that we tried worked but…. Looking back, I know even now, I mean, I get so much feedback or just mail from people who tell me in some small or large way, the Doctors of Madness changed their life, you know. Either artistically, or the way they thought about stuff, we set them off on a career path or a lifestyle path, that, they said would never have happened if they hadn’t seen that band, so you know… people like, I don’t know, Julian Cope or Jim Kerr, whoever it is… Jobson, The Adverts, people like that, all people who were avowedly influenced… Joe Elliot… were sort of fans. Retrospectively that’s all very satisfying, and doesn’t actually mean a great deal one way or another, except that it’s flattering to think these people who did take something and carried the baton in some way.

Richard Strange

Tj Sundown

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #344 on: October 27, 2009, 07:34:27 PM »
Here's another great excerpt from Hugh's interview with Richard Starnge talking about Punk and the forever rising talent of Urban Blitz and Stoner. Tj

Were you conscious at the time, it’s hard not to look at the Doctors as something in the continuum of punk, did you feel something had to change… Hugh

Yeah, because the one thing we weren’t, especially I wasn’t, was ‘musicians‘! I was a writer who’d picked up a guitar, because that was my ticket in a way, even now I’m not a virtuoso… I’ll never be, you can go into a guitar shop in LA and you can hear a twelve year old kid playing these licks with his teeth or something… fucking hell! That’s not what I do, I’m impressed by virtuosity for a minute, I don’t think that’s really what I want to do. I love words, I love performance, I love phrasing, I love nuance, and emotion and articulation and intelligence and mystery and light and dark, those are the things that interest me in songs and music

Probably no percentage in competing with musically Blitz or Stoner either… Hugh

Absolutely, I was terrified! Stoner and Blitz in particular were the ones that gave the Doctors their sound, their signature if you like. It was that very competent, melodic baseline and that raucous, neurotic, irritating violin, not many people use a violin, the Velvets used a viola, which is not the same instrument, but not many people, Curved Air at one time I think and then later Ultravox!

Richard Strange

Tj Sundown