Author Topic: Final Photo's of Colin Stoner at his last ever gig (with The Doctors of Madness)  (Read 279332 times)

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • True  Results - People Change for Good
    • Email
Re: Fantastic Very Special Photo's of TV Smith - Your Xmas Gift from Tj and Ian
« Reply #360 on: December 17, 2009, 06:55:10 PM »
Here's the full amazing gallery for the photo's above.

Watch them right now as this very special gallery of TV Smith photographs taken by a professional photographer is only on line for one month...

http://gallery.me.com/igphotos1/100183

"I stand between the two and it's great. IT'S GRREEEAAATTTTT!!!!"

Thanks for the link, TJ. Some really nice shots in there.

email from Jamie Palmer Film Maker of Exploring Madness

My pleasure Jamie. I recall how much TV loved thes photo's when he first saw them. 8)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 07:01:04 PM by Tj »
"Deep inside you know it's right to lean towards the light"

Tj Sundown
Leaning towards the Starlight

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #361 on: December 22, 2009, 12:04:47 PM »
Don't you just love this gallery? I wish I could take photo's like these...

Can someone tell me the best way to copy these photo's onto a disc? I've not quite done that before.

Tj Sundown

Offline fleagle

• Cast Of Thousands
  • you will never know who you really are
    • MSN Messenger - info@stagefrite.co.uk
    • View Profile
    • stagefrite - keepin it live!
    • Email
« Reply #362 on: December 22, 2009, 01:10:43 PM »
I will post one to you TJ - easier than explaining ! lol ::)

fleags
I got some presents for you boo-boo

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #363 on: December 22, 2009, 01:13:59 PM »
That's two bits of Fleag magic today.

That makes you my TUTS hero of the month.  8)

Thank you.

Tj Sundown

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: December 22, 2009, 01:34:53 PM »
Many very good pics there! Thanks.  8)

I was going to say "ask the photographer to send you a disc", but it's even easier if fleagle does it!  :D
Just around the corner and miles away...

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #365 on: December 22, 2009, 01:38:03 PM »
I'd already asked Ian, but instead he put them into a gallery so lots of other people could see them all for the very first time. :D

Fleags being a very good dog today.  :D :D :D

Tj Sundown

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #366 on: December 23, 2009, 07:01:47 PM »
Great to read Stoner's story in issue 6 of Dave 'Ticket' Thompson's TV Times.

"The Doctors of Madness, like the new york dolls, were one of the bands who find themselves treated like lepers throughout their careers, then, when its all over, magically become the band everybody saw/was into."

Dave Thompson

...Doctors Stoner the Frankenstein monster and Kid The Strange

Dave goes on to talk about the Doctors being one of the prime influences on punk... "It can only be proved to the individual by listening to the three excellent albums put out by the doctors during their three year lifespan."

This is the story of Stoner The Doctor. Who? You ask? Colin Stoner The Explorer and Colin Stoner the Sadista Sister. :o

Dave goes on to talk about how Kid Stange first met TV Smith. A story I hadn't heard before. :o

...Dik Kid Strange and TV Smith drive the fans round The Bends at the last ever Doctors of Madness show in October 1978.

That part about the difference in ambition bewteen Kid & Stoner on one side and Blitz and Dilemmaon the other was new news to me and really interesting.

Much like Dave Sinclair in his TV Times interview, Stoner was so excited about joining The Explorers because he really rated TV and he loved how the band were all working together as one. 

...Erik Russell, Colin Stoner and TV Smith. Together Alone as one.

Erik Russell is in issue 7. Buy the TV Times disc to find out his story...

TV TIMES - THE COMPLETE SERIES FOR SALE

Between 1980-1984, members of TV Smith's fan club received a free fanzine, running from two to twenty pages, for 43 issues.

The entire series has now been archived on CD, 357 black/white pages of text and images (.bmp) comprising a priceless 357 page archive not only of TV Smith, Adverts and TV Smith's Explorers news, interviews, reviews etc, but also a wealth of related artists... Richard Strange (including a 1981 interview), Doctors of Madness (including a complete band history), Lords of the New Church (three very early interviews, pre-first album), Ian Mitchell Band, Last Touch, many more.

Includes discographies, biographies, family trees, press cuttings, much more. Unpublished in any other form. Photos were taken from one of no more than three surviving complete sets, and reflect the occasionally haphazard photocopying that characterized the series - however, all are readable, while the bmp/bitmap format allows the user to print and reconfigure pages at will.

Disc also includes a couple of unpublished issues, and color originals of several covers.

PRICE $15 + shipping: $1 USA, $2 international.
Contact quatrmass@aol.com to reserve your copy and for payment details
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 07:17:56 PM by Tj »

Tj Sundown

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #367 on: December 23, 2009, 07:21:02 PM »
Hmm I've just remembered as I post the 367th post in this TV>Stoner>Kid theme, that my Doctors and TV Smith journey began when I spoke to Richard (and later TV) about doing a joint TV & Kid website. Fortunately for me (and you) Hugh Galland and Klaus Fleischer had already stepped up to the line. 8)

So folks think of this theme as Tj's TV & Kid Exploring Madness website. ;)

Your first task on this website is to check out these amazing photo's of TV, Stoner, Kid and err little old me living the dream...

« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 07:25:05 PM by Tj »

Tj Sundown

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
The Secret of the TV Smith & Kid Strange 'Raw Meat for the Missionaries' Demo's
« Reply #368 on: December 24, 2009, 02:32:48 PM »
I've just been reading the best TV Times so far. Issue 8 focuses on TV and The Adverts. Dave Thompson asked TV about the TV & Kid demo's.

Dave Thompson: "Hey, Tim, will we ever get to here the other TV and Kid Strange demo's?"

TV Smith: "Well, I hope so, I'd hate to think of them being lost fprever. At the moment, though Kid's doing other things, and so am I, but I hope at some stage, we'll be able to get together, and do something with them."

You can buy the 43 issues of TV Times CD direct from Dave 'Ticket' Thompson... quatrmass@aol.com

After a few years I persuaded TV and Kid Strange to play some of the demo's again. I gave the demo's the 'Raw Meat for The Missionaries' title to help me in this goal. The first step was the 'Strange Bloody Xmas' show with TV and Kid gig in Leeds on 13.12.04.

The next step was the Exploring Madness TV, Kid & Stoner re-union show in Doncaster and Leeds on 10/11.09.06. Here Richard 'The Kid' Strange sold copies of the demo's with a great pic sleeve and my Raw Meat for The Missionaries title.

...I just wish he'd talked to TV about this first! Teev would have ensured the demo's were cleaned up in quality and they'd have both made more money out of these once hidden gems.

Those of you wanting to hear some of these great TV & Kid songs can check out these You Tube video's by Alan the Fat Bloater...

Some Kind Of War: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUGCohLt1zA

Dance of Death: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cN5G2C4iqU4

The Last Human Being (In the World): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WU5FFWTbfSI

The Big Break: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEg3hujYSjA

Back From the Dead: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPCC3hjuApY

Here's a link to the great photo's from the shows: http://gallery.me.com/igphotos1/100183

« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 02:39:32 PM by Tj »

Tj Sundown

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
Here's a quote from the Dave T Wake Up interview taht ties in with the above raw Meat For The Missionaries post...

TV: "I was still very excited about song-writing. I was using the mellow period preparing the second Adverts album to do some song-writing with Richard Strange from the Doctors of Madness, who were also getting near their break-up point. Whenever I had some spare time we'd put down some songs on 8-track and I felt that was much more creative than the end of the Adverts, I was really enjoying that. We never recorded it with any commercial purpose; that never entered into it. So that was keeping me going creatively and I'd started writing songs that I knew were not going to work with The Adverts. I was still up, still writing, but not knowing what I was going to do with it.

Tj Sundown

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
My penultimate day of posting and I'm getting obsessed about TV and Kid's Raw Meat for the Missionaries demo's again...

TV Smith: “As the group began to buckle under the strain of going from nought to sixty in a year, I´d been keeping the creative juices flowing by writing with Doctors Of Madness front man Richard Strange. Back From The Dead is the only song from this collaboration that ever came out.”

Tj Sundown

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
The Legend That is STONER
« Reply #371 on: July 16, 2011, 06:34:15 PM »
When I look back at my life one memory will be right out at the top of the pile...

Watching and singing with TV Smith, Richard Strange and Stoner at the Exploring Madness gigs in September 2006.

I was really sad to hear from Colin 'STONER' Bentley last night that in May 2010 he had to have his left kidney removed, because of a very large tumour and that since then the cancer has migrated into his bones.

Colin was as optimistic as ever as he e-talked about still enjoying life and his love of music even though he has what he called a season ticket to the hospital car park.

He said it was okay and he can live with it.

Things like this and what happened to a good friend of mine last month really make you realise how precious live is.

Below are several video's of Stoner's latest project for you to enjoy...

http://thepullband.com/vid.htm

When he stayed at our place for the Exploring Madness he was such a joy to have around the house. He always makes me smile when I think of him then. When he arrived Colin had thoughtfully wrapped two antique brass beer taps as presents because he heard about my love of real beer. I remember Teev also being really touched by that.

Love you Colin.

The best dahn bass player in the world in my book.

Tj Sundown

Offline Nick

• Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
    • Nick
    • Email
Re: Some Challening News About The Great Explorer Colin STONER
« Reply #372 on: July 18, 2011, 02:16:04 PM »
Sorry to hear about Stoner's health problems. Keeping positive is the best medicine though.
Thanks for sharing your memory Tj, they must of been great gigs.

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #373 on: July 19, 2011, 06:53:50 PM »
Real dream come true moments Nick.  These are a few from the first night at The Leopard in Doncaster...

For both shows check out this awesome gallery...

http://gallery.me.com/igphotos1#100183&view=grid&bgcolor=black&sel=60
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 06:56:07 PM by Tj »

Tj Sundown

Offline Nick

• Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
    • Nick
    • Email
« Reply #374 on: July 19, 2011, 08:52:45 PM »
Wow! great pictures!
To this day I have not heard any Doctors of Madness music. I really should investigate them. No wonder I have no time for new music, there is so much older stuff I need to catch up on. Do you know that I listened to Patti Smith - Horses lp for the first time a couple of weeks ago. I have just got hold of The Pretty Things - Emotions & S.F. Sorrow lp's which I have not heard yet. So much music, so little time  ;D