Author Topic: Final Photo's of Colin Stoner at his last ever gig (with The Doctors of Madness)  (Read 269290 times)

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • True  Results - People Change for Good
    • Email
TUTS 10 TAGS 3
« Reply #90 on: September 30, 2003, 11:25:13 PM »
Fancy meeting you hear.

Yet another Tv fan from www.doctorsofmadness.co.uk

...Slag off a fellow Alias Smith & Strange fan. Not in a million years.

Did you say no old Strange stuff on the new tour? Erk! 8O  :roll:

8)

PS: Yes Hoxton was awesome. :D
"Deep inside you know it's right to lean towards the light"

Tj Sundown
Leaning towards the Starlight

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
TV Smith Speaks Out On The Doctors Of Madness
« Reply #91 on: October 11, 2003, 08:53:08 PM »
Just read this in the excellent The Big Take-over magazine (see www.bigtakeover.com ) It's in issue 51. It's a great mag based around pure passion for music with a complete lack of pretense - check it out!
Tv and Editor Jack Rabid were talking about John Leckie producing records for XTX, X-Ray Spex, The Fall, PIL.....

TV Smith: Yeah and Doctors Of Madness. I think that's why we chose him actually - he had done one of their records, and I was a fan of theirs.

Jack Rabid: I reember hearing about them way back when Dave Vanian joined them on stage, after The Damned broke up. Until then I had never heard of them.

TV Smith: They were one of the few bands around before punk who were not following the mainstream format, and so on stage they were quite aggresive and energetic and had this great violin thing going through. So they were a great band to go and see in '75 and '76. Nothing else was really going on.

Awesome stuff also buy issues 25, 51 and 52 for more on TV. :D

8)

Tj Sundown

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #92 on: April 02, 2004, 07:25:12 PM »
Just got this message from the other GREAT man, when he learnt that both Lisa and I lost our jobs on the same day:

So sorry to hear about your double whammy TJ. What a pisser!

I hope that you misfortune is soon rectified.and that your situation is vastly improved.

Yes Ron's CD cut is very enjoyable and reminds me that we weren't a bad band.

Remind me of your address again

All the best

R

Bloody nice bloke. :D

8)

Tj Sundown

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #93 on: April 02, 2004, 07:30:36 PM »
Just got this message from the other GREAT man, when he learnt that both Lisa and I lost our jobs on the same day:

So sorry to hear about your double whammy TJ. What a pisser!

I hope that you misfortune is soon rectified.and that your situation is vastly improved.

Yes Ron's CD cut is very enjoyable and reminds me that we weren't a bad band.

Remind me of your address again

All the best

R

Bloody nice bloke. :D

8)

Tj Sundown

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
A Strange Rumour
« Reply #94 on: April 17, 2004, 09:30:52 PM »
Rumour has it that two of my Monday night drinking m8's, The DRAY Riders, are turning up at EARTHBOUND 3, to alledgedly help Dave Sanders with the beer and organisation. :roll:

I wonder if anyone else rather Strange will turn up?

8)

Tj Sundown

Offline $ Deal Dave

• Driver Or Passenger?
    • View Profile
TV Smiths Explorers & Doctors Of Madness Leeds 11.09.06
« Reply #95 on: May 04, 2004, 09:48:19 AM »
[I wonder if anyone else rather Strange will turn up?

I hope you do get a "suprise " guest at the gig but I believe he's appearing in a play @ the Barbican at the time.

Should he manage to get a night off all you need is Stoner to turn up and youll have one hell of a group.

Have a great evening I'm sure the music will be awsome, not to sure about the beer though !!!

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
Stoner TV Time
« Reply #96 on: May 04, 2004, 09:44:02 PM »
OK $ Dave,

I admit it was a ruse.

But I do know that Stoner lives bear Bristol.

Big help Frenzbob.  :D

8)

Tj Sundown

Offline frenzbob

• Bored Teenager
    • View Profile
Re: Stoner TV Time
« Reply #97 on: May 04, 2004, 11:48:12 PM »
Quote from: "Tj"

But I do know that Stoner lives bear Bristol.

Big help Frenzbob.  :D

8)

Lives bear Bristol? (there's a zoo there if that's any help?)

Big help Frenzbob? (what've I done?)

Have the Fleagles been feeding you those red n white mushrooms again?  8O   :twisted:
ello, good evening and welcome........

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
Stoner and TV Live
« Reply #98 on: May 05, 2004, 08:32:54 AM »
I was trying to drink as fast as Fleagle, that's why I wrote such rubbish. :roll:  :oops:  :lol:

Mrs F says I've had a touch of Spring Fever (the name of the beer). :lol:

What I meant is that Stoner, the bass player from The Explorers (and the Doctors Of Madness), lives near Bristol and in the late 90's he played live with TV and if you are arranging a gig there...

:wink:  :wink:

8)

Tj Sundown

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
The Greatest Combined Acts Ever
« Reply #99 on: May 05, 2004, 08:08:57 PM »
I thought I'd better change the title of TV Smith and Richard Strange (Greatest Combined Act Ever) to Just Exploring Madness with TV, Stoner and Richard Strange as we are now also talking about my favourite ever bass player. :D

'Just Exploring Madness' was the name of the internet site that I was going to create when I first got a PC. Before I fully realsied my the depth of my PC skills. Instead I opted to support the TV Smith and Doctors Of Madness Forums and become an obsessed mad demon poster. :twisted:

The title comes from the line in a Doctors Of Madness song called No Limits. It's about one of my dream goals to see TV Smith, Stoner and Richard Strange on the stage live together again. They first and last did this at the Doctors Of Madness farewell concert in October 1978. I also chose the title because the words Exploring (from TV and Stoners band The Explorers) and Madness (from Richard Stranges and Stoners band The Doctors Of Madness). Ironically the only Doctors Of Madness song that Stoner sang was No Limits.

Of course the other connections between TV and Richard Strange are;

:arrow: The two Southwick gigs where they performed the song they wrote together called Back From The Dead
 :arrow: The syhnthesiser on The Adverts Cast Of Thousands was played by Richard Strange
 :arrow: And of course there are the awesome seventies demo's called Raw Meat For The Missionaries, featuring the stunning Some Kind Of War and the Dance Of Death.

Hmm Some Kind Of War was mainly sung by TV. :idea:

8)

Tj Sundown

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
100 Not Out
« Reply #100 on: May 08, 2004, 12:56:27 PM »
As this is the 100th post in this section  8O I thought I would link it in to the Doctors of madness site and vice versa.  :D

I'm dead interested in nurturing the seeds of possibility and opportunity in enabling TV and Stoner to have another reunion gig. This time in Bristol. Where Frenzbob is hoping to arrange a TV gig. Stoner lives nearby. :D

It would be pure heaven. :D  :D  :D And another step nearer the TV, Stoner and Richard Strange reunion gig.

Here's the direct link to the Doctors Of Madness site :arrow: www.doctorsofmadness.co.uk simply enter The AfterGlow Discussion Board and then go into Just Exploring Madness - 100 pots on TV, Kid & Stoner.

And here's a couple of photo's from TV and Richard Stranges's last two reunion gigs :arrow:

This photo is of the day TV introduced me to Richard Strange; "Good evening my name is Richard Strange, pleased to meet you." said Richard, as ever the perfect Gentleman. The shot is at the end of TV's encore of Back From The Dead. The gig was on March 23rd, 2001 at The Barn Theatre in Southwick and the photo is taken by Ron from The AfterGlow. :arrow:

This photo, taken by me, was at the same venue over a year later, on June 1st, 2002. The event was Glastonwick Music and Beer Festival 7, the gig is sometimes refered to as Southwick 2. This time round TV joined Richard on stage half way through his set to again play Back From The Dead. Some Kind Of War was also practiced, but it never made the set in the end. Later that night TV played the first EARTHBOUND gig. This not only started the fan club get togethers but also became the event that actually started the TV Smith fan club called the TUTS. The best night of the year - no contest :arrow:

8)

Tj Sundown

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
The AfterGlow of the Leppard Hunter 2
« Reply #101 on: May 26, 2004, 10:40:49 AM »
On the way out I bumped into Joe Elliott again. He spotted my my t-shirt, a Rocket Ron creation, that I save for late night's like this. As soon as he saw it he dived at me and grabbed hold of it with his eyees bulging out of his head and a massive grin, shouting "I want three, I want three."
I asked him if he knew where a certain TAG called Smogmorton was. "Wait here, I'll go get him, wait 'till he sees that shirt."

I waited with my mate Rob, who saw The Doctors Of Madness with me at Leeds University when Be-Bop lost the plot and missed the gig due to performing on Top Of The Pops.

Another bloke came up to me and said "Doctors Of Madness! I saw them support Be-Bop Deluxe at Leeds University. They were fantastic and then we got our money back because Be-Bop didn't turn up." The AfterGlow was burning bright.

Spogmorton arrived and was bowled over by Ron's handy work. I can feel a franshise coming on ;o) We chatted about Hunter, TV Smith (he's seen TV several times, including the legendary TV and Tom Robinson tour), but most of all we talked about those strange years of long ago.
Great close to a great night!

8)

Tj Sundown

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
TV's Dirty Dozen
« Reply #102 on: June 01, 2004, 12:18:59 AM »
Sorry to repeat this post TUTS, but some of The AfterGlow read the posts in this section. Hope you don't mind. :D  

Some Kind Of War is currently at number 12 in the average scores TV Songs chart  

1 (1) Xmas Bloody Xmas 9.83
2 (2) Not In My Name 9.31
3 (3) Only One Flavour 9.28
4 (4) Expensive Being Poor 9.08
5 (5) Not A Bad Day 9.05
6 (6) Immortal Rich 8.90
7 (7) The Future Used To Be Better 8.83
8 (8 ) Runaway Train Driver 8.64
9 (9) Generation Y 8.54
10 (10) Soon As I Found It I Lost It 8.45
11 (11) Tomahawk Cruise 8.37
12 (12) Carrying On 8.33
  :arrow: (12) Some Kind Of War 8.33
14 (14) Great British Mistake 8.30
15 (15) One Chord Wonders 8.29
16 (16) March Of The Giants 8.28
17 (17) Gary Gilmore's Eyes 8.24
(17) Swimming In The Flood 8.24
19 (19) Gather Your Things And Go 8.15
20 (20) Thin Green Line 8.11

8)

Tj Sundown

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
How Rather STRANGE
« Reply #103 on: June 01, 2004, 12:21:14 AM »
Here's a quote from Richard Strange's awesome book 'STRANGE - The memoirs of Richard Strange' a collection of great life tales of Punks and Drunks and Flicks and Kicks  :arrow:  

I got together with TV Smith who had been through a similarly wrethched run, and we started writing a lot of songs together. We didn't know what we were going to do with them, but TV used to come round to our flat in Streatham and we would write a song every day. Some good, some lousy, but we had a good working relationship; we were on the same wavelength and could work together without getting on each other's nerves.

Despite the enthusiastic reception they got from both TV's mnager, Michael Demsey, and from my manager Bryan Morrison, nothing ever happened to any of those songs we wrote.

And then out of the blue, 25 years later, TV played one of them at a piss up in a brewery and blew away the party's host.

BANG!

Flat out he was.

Thanks again Teev.   :D  

8)

Tj Sundown

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email