Author Topic: Final Photo's of Colin Stoner at his last ever gig (with The Doctors of Madness)  (Read 279293 times)

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • True  Results - People Change for Good
    • Email
Re: TV Smith, Richard 'Kid' Strange & Stoner are Just Exploring Madness
« Reply #345 on: October 27, 2009, 07:40:03 PM »
Hey! Nice to see my Dare to Dream gigs with TV, Richard and Stoner get a mention by Richard. Tj :D

Do you think the interpersonal dynamic affected that as well, you mentioned Blitz’s style as irritating, I gather there was a bit of tension… Hugh

Yeah, we didn’t really get on, I never felt comfortable with him, he was very… I think he was probably very troubled, looking back… but I don’t know… you know, Peter was always a good friend to me, and Stoner too, as you know I did those gigs with TV Smith and Stoner, it was brilliant, great fun, it was very nice to see him and catch up and all the rest and there’s no bad blood between us at all. But there was, I think it’s probably typical of most bands, there’s a tension in a band that makes it bristle, if it’s working, whether it’s Morrissey and Johnny Marr, Lennon and McCartney, Richards and Jagger, Strummer and Jones… yeah, whoever it is, there’s usually a bit of conflict in there that sort of urges the other on, and it’s sort of, it makes the sum totally bigger than its component parts somehow. The Doctors were certainly like that, individually I’m not sure that any one of us would have made it as a professional musician, not at that time. But collectively we sort of whacked out this totally fucked up sound and narrative, we all sort of contributed in our ways and managed to make very much our own. That’s why it was good when it was good, because no one could touch it. Because we weren’t comparable to anything or anyone we weren’t trying to be like anyone, so we never fell short of anything, we were just seeing how far we could take it. Then musically, historically what happened, we arrived at a certain point, we were the closest thing that the Damned or the Sex Pistols or the Clash or the Jam could see to themselves and they sort of tagged on supporting us, because we were the headline band, we were the sort of band who were getting what they considered an audience probably closest to an audience they imagined might be theirs… Penetration, all those bands… we did gigs with Joy Division when they were called Warsaw… yeah, that’s early! So all those bands, Skids, Simple Minds, Julian Cope, all that stuff, was sort of on the back of it in a way.

And what happened of course was that this huge sort of punk rock juggernaut rolled into town and anything that had been around too long and wasn’t punk rock was old hat, regardless of quality or influence or integrity or…

You were probably in an odd position, in certain ways the Doctors were so ‘wrong’, with the almost-prog sequences, on the other hand so ‘right’, the graphics of that first album, the lyrical concerns… Hugh

Exactly, the lyrical concerns, it ticked so many boxes, the cartoon sort of names…

Who thought of those was it you? Hugh

Nah, well I was Kid Strange, and I said, look we should all have names, you will be Peter DiLemma I think I said, Colin came up with Stoner and Urban Blitz came up with Urban Blitz, we all thought it was a good idea and there was no problem with that, the blue hair, no one had blue hair in those days, it’s so commonplace now I’m almost embarrassed to say I’m probably the first…

Richard Strange
"Deep inside you know it's right to lean towards the light"

Tj Sundown
Leaning towards the Starlight

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: TV Smith, Richard 'Kid' Strange & Stoner are Just Exploring Madness
« Reply #346 on: October 27, 2009, 07:42:59 PM »
I really enjoyed reading about The Doctors again. Many thanks Hugh and Richard.  :D

Here's the full 10 page interview again if you are interested TUTS...

http://www.doorag.f9.co.uk/doctorsofmadness/Meetthedoctors_RS1_newJan09.html

After all this is one of the most popular long runing themes of this forum.  :D

Tj Sundown

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: TV Smith, Richard 'Kid' Strange & Stoner are just Exploring Madness
« Reply #347 on: October 27, 2009, 08:30:17 PM »
Here's my email to Uli on March 20th 2002 that started this long running theme...

Hi Ulrich,

Some facts on TV Smith and the cast of the Doctors Of Madness following on from Ulrich's question under The Damned and The Adverts section.

TV Smith and Gaye Adverts were big fans of The Doctors Of Madness in 1976.

Dave Vanian was in The Damned and briefly in the Doctors Of Madness.

Richard Strange  :P (vocals) was in the Doctors Of Madness and very briefly in The Adverts.

Stoner :P (bass) was in the Doctors Of Madness and played throughout the journey of TV Smith's Explorers  :P

Richard Strange  :P and TV Smith  :P wrote, played and sang several songs together and some of the demo's have been available as bootlegs.  :o I titled the Demo's Raw Meat For The Missionaries after one of the lines in the fantastic track Some Kind Of War. :P

Richard Strange and TV Smith played together at the Doctors Of Madness last gig - now available as a Japanese CD ("You be Japan") on Captain Trip records under the title Into The Strange.  8O

TV Smith and Stoner were re-united a few years ago for a one off gig. I missed it. :cry:

TV Smith and Richard Strange were re-united at Southwick last year. I caught it. :P  :D but, I forgot my camera  :'(

Fortunately Rocket Ron didn't...  Tj 27.10.09

TV Smith and Richard Strange are performing seperately  :cry: at the moment :roll: at Southwick on June 1st 2002.  :D

My favourite ever artist is TV Smith  :P and my favourite ever band is the Doctors Of Madness. :P

My favourite two albums ever are Late Night Movies, All Night Brainstorms :P and March Of The Giants :P

So which Doctors Of Madness CD should you buy you ask :?:

The best Doctors Of Madness album was indeed Late Night Movies, All Night Brainstorms.

However, as Ulrich is clearly a punk fan I would start off with the harder edged Sons Of Survival.

The three albums (which includes Figmets Of Emancipation, featuring Marie and Joe; one of the greatest songs ever recorded) are soon to be all available from Ozit records on www.tractor-ozit.com .

"Dressed up like Adam and Eve - Raw Meat For The Missionaries" Some Kind Of War
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 08:40:48 PM by Tj »

Tj Sundown

Offline Nick

• Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
    • Nick
    • Email
« Reply #348 on: October 28, 2009, 10:54:00 AM »
That is a coincidence as I was going to ask which of the Doctors of Madness albums would be a good starting point for a new listener. I have never heard any of their music before.

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: October 28, 2009, 01:53:06 PM »
1st one to listen to should be this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPCC3hjuApY

;)
From there you might find more youtube stuff by TV/Kid/Stoner and the Doctors of Madness. Watch out for Billy.  8)

@Tj, you were digging out 7 year old emails? Or did you mean the first posting in this theme?  ???
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 01:56:02 PM by Uli »
Just around the corner and miles away...

Offline Nick

• Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
    • Nick
    • Email
« Reply #350 on: October 29, 2009, 12:21:38 PM »
That is a great version of back from the dead uli.

I like it when a new artist is pointed out to me as there is a wealth of material waiting for me to discover.
I always knew about the Doctors of Madness but for some reason never bought any of their recordings. I can't say why, they just slipped through the net so to speak.

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #351 on: October 29, 2009, 05:57:49 PM »
That is a coincidence as I was going to ask which of the Doctors of Madness albums would be a good starting point for a new listener. I have never heard any of their music before.

Maybe there's no such thing as conincidence Nick. ;)

I'd start with Late Night Movies (the equal best album ever made along with MOTG)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFpldX8aR3Q

Then Figments...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWhbnOBIpgY&feature=related

Then S. O. S. featuring TV Smith live and a TV Smith penned song sang by Dave Vanian co-lead singer of the Doctors of Madness. :o

It really is T.V. time...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBMInVKFKbg&feature=related
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 06:03:31 PM by Tj »

Tj Sundown

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #352 on: November 04, 2009, 09:35:53 PM »
Getting all nostalgic tonight.

Dare To Dream…

Success Coach, Tim Downes (alias Tj Sundown) of Rising Talent Ltd has spent the best part of seven years cajoling and influencing master singer-songwriters TV Smith (The Adverts/The Explorers) and Richard Strange (Doctors Of Madness) to unite with bass player extraordinaire, Stoner (Doctors of Madness/The Explorers) to play together, for the first time ever since the Doctors of Madness last gig in October 1978. On 10th September in The Leopard in Doncaster and on the 11th September in The New Roscoe this ‘Just Exploring Madness‘ dream, comes true. 

Back in 1976 The Doctors of Madness were tipped (along with Midge Ure’s, Slik) to become the new Beatles. The band signed a major record deal with Polydor and just as the land of milk and honey came into view the Sex Pistols arrived, supporting the Doctors at their first Northern gig, and stole their crown for good. They did however go on to make three inspirational albums that ignited many up and coming new bands including Joy Division and Simple Minds. The Doctors also influenced many of the early punk bands including TV Smith and Gaye Adverts band, the lost legends called The Adverts. The Adverts shot to fame with their top 20 hit Gary Gilmore’s Eye’s. They became not only one of the first Punk Rock bands on Top Of The Pops and the John Peel radio show, but also the very first Punk band to brave the hallowed halls of the Whistle Test. Post the Doctors Of Madness, Richard Strange commenced a solo career and has now recorded a total of ten albums (at one point uniting his songsmith genius with his punk peer TV Smith). In 1983 he became a professional movie (Mona Lisa, Batman, Robin Hood - Prince Of Thieves), stage (Hamlet) and television (Men Behaving Badly) actor. His phenomenal life is captured in his 2002 autobiography, the STRANGE memoirs. Richard recently completed a world tour with Robert Wilson/William Burroughs/Tom Waits collaboration, The Black Rider, which won critical acclaim in the UK, USA and Australia.  Post Doctors, Stoner joined TV Smith in The Explorers. Another band that looked like they were on the crest of the wave with the much loved by John Peel song, Tomahawk Cruise, but the small record Company couldn’t keep up with demand and the moment was lost. Colin (Stoner) Bentley went on to leave London and play with several local South West bands, including working with violinist Nigel Kennedy covering Jimi Hendrix songs. After the sad demise of The Adverts and The Explorers TV Smith released a solo album, formed the band Cheap (who released a posthumous album) and went on record seven stunning solo albums to critical acclaim, particularly in Germany, where TV drafted in top German band Die Toten Hosen as his backing band. His new album Misinformation Overload sees a return to the punk of protest, winning rave reviews “This is a bona fide protest album… barbed and imaginative lyrics carried by carousing tunes and rip roaring punk power chords…” – Classic Rock. His ability to keep carrying on despite what ever is thrown at him is chronicled in his brand new book of punk rock tour diaries, GETTING THERE.

Seven years ago Tim Downes saw the photo of TV Smith Kid Strange and Stoner together at the final Doctors of Madness gig in 1978 and he just knew he had to re-create that scene by somehow arranging this his dream gig, even though he knew the artists concerned were not exactly jumping through hoops about re-union gigs. “People told me to give up- it was never going to happen,” says Tim “but if coaching others to focus on their dreams for themselves has taught me anything, it’s that you never give up looking for ways and sooner or later you’ll get there, if you want it enough. I’m ecstatic that they have agreed to It, so thrilled that I thought let’s really go for it and have two dream gigs.” Like all good Yorkshiremen, beer is another of his passions, and Tim has decided to add a different twist to the gigs by brewing a special Exploring Madness beer with award wining local brewer Dave Sanders at Elland Brewery and Mark Smith of the new Two Halves Brewery in Market Deeping. This ultra pale and hoppy real ale will be served at both gigs.

Working on this dream come true has lead Tim to unite with fellow coach, Jeni Mumford of Starfish. Jeni’s dream is just reaching fruition as she is the author of the soon to be released Life Coaching For Dummies book. Together they are working on a project called Starfish Rising to inspire people to go for it and live their dreams.

Dare to dream – you can do anything!

...I was begining to think I'd dreamt all this.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 09:53:01 PM by Tj »

Tj Sundown

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email

Tj Sundown

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #354 on: November 06, 2009, 06:15:23 PM »
Just played the TV & Kid Raw Meat for Missionaries album as part of mt Your Ticket Out of Here great TV journey.

I seemed to really hear the words to Big Break and Torpedo today for some reason. Never noticed that line about the ship of Self love before. I've just been using a galleon in ametaphor whilst coaching.

Still love Some Kind of War, Dance of Death, Last Human Being (in the World) and Summer Fun the most though.

Have you heard the alternative version of Summer Fun Dave? 

Tj Sundown

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #355 on: November 11, 2009, 11:38:04 AM »
I was involved with helping with the editing but some of my replies missed the deadline (sorry Dave) so here's a few updates for you TV Smith completists out there...

Raw Meat for The Missionaries (Your Ticket Out of Here by Dave Thompson pages 36-38 / 49 - 50)

The above title for the TV Smith and Richard Strange demo's was created by Tj Sundown in this very TV Smith forum*. My feet were so humbled it felt like treading on gold.

It was Last Human Being (in the World) that was played live at the final Doctors of Madness gig not Kings of the Wreckage. This is correctly reported on the review of the gig on page 49.

Dave Vanian sang the TV Smith and Richard Strange penned last Doctors of Madness single; Don't Panic England.

* Let's see if I can do a Uli and SEARCH out the post.

Tj Sundown

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #356 on: November 11, 2009, 11:43:27 AM »
I titled the Demo's Raw Meat For The Missionaries after one of the lines in the fantastic track Some Kind Of War.

Tj on this themes opening post on March 23rd 2002

It looks like I came up with the demo's title even before the start of this forum. I'll let you know if I find out when that was.

I know that I first found out about the demo's in a letter I received from Richard Strange a few years earlier when Attila re-connected TV and KID for this very special show in Southwick on March 23rd 2001...

The photo above is the only available record of the first 21st Century re-union of TV Smith and Richard Strange. It was taken by Rocket Ron who helped me arrange the first 'Just Exploring Madness' Explorers and Doctors re-union gig in Doncaster. Here's Ron meeting his hero for the first time at Attila's Barn in 2001...

TV Smith and Richard Strange
Friday 23rd March 2001
Brighton - Southwick, Barn Theatre

1 Only One Flavour     
2 No Time To Be 21     
3 Cast Of Thousands     
4 Immortal Rich     
5 This Year, Next Year...     
6 The Future Used To Be Better     
7 For Every Hit There's A Miss     
8 One Million Pounds     
9 Soon As I Found It I Lost It     
10 I Know What You Want     
11 My Place     
12 The Day We Caught The Big Fish     
13 Eurodisneyland Tomorrow     
14 Gary Gilmore's Eyes     
15 Bored Teenagers     
16 Runaway Train Driver     
Encore 
17 Back From The Dead with Richard Strange

« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 11:52:47 AM by Tj »

Tj Sundown

Offline anotherdt

• Bored Teenager
    • View Profile
    • http://www.davethompsonbooks.com
« Reply #357 on: November 11, 2009, 02:27:07 PM »
Here's my email to Uli on March 20th 2002 that started this long running theme...

Richard Strange  :P (vocals) was in the Doctors Of Madness and very briefly in The Adverts.

Hmmm... a slight exaggeration there, don't you think?  A bit like saying TV was briefly in the Phenomenal Rise band....
cross London Bridge, the night crashes in
I'm being shipped to America limb by limb...

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #358 on: November 11, 2009, 03:13:23 PM »
Very briefly as in for a few minutes. ;D ;D

As for Radio Jones! I've never heard of him.  ;)

At one of the Strange TV re-unions Richard annouced he'd never been paid for his synth services.

Don't worry though TV got his own back. ;) ;D 

Tj Sundown

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #359 on: December 17, 2009, 01:57:17 PM »
Christmas time is for special gifts. Enjoy these gems...

« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 02:05:03 PM by Tj »

Tj Sundown