Author Topic: New Jam  (Read 21120 times)

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
New Jam
« on: December 05, 2007, 03:36:11 PM »
I know this should be with the other Jam strand, but my work computer has decided that several sections of TV's webite are "Harmful and Stealth" - does this describe you accurately Klaus???!!! (So probably not long until I disappear from the Forum again - HOORAH I hear you cry!)

I saw "From the Jam" again last night at Nottingham's Rock City - they seem even more confident than in the spring and have spent a bit of money on logos and backdrops! The tour must be going well - they sold out De Montfort Hall months ago...

More album tracks this time in a shorter set - an hour and a half in comparison to the two hours on the shorter tour of smaller venues. Got to save your voice / energy I suppose.

Still worth catching - whilst the main singer does do a clear (and compulsory) Weller rip-off, it is good to see some of the old stuff played so well by most of the original band: Foxton was always a great bassist and on "So Sad About Us" Buckler did a fair impression of old Moonie!!!

Catch them if you can - the new London date (all the rest have sold out) is being filmed apparently...

Offline jock

• Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mohawks.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
    • Email
Re: New Jam
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2007, 11:35:30 AM »
Hi Fred
I was told by people who seen the Jam recently that the show was amazing .
The people were old Jam fans , hard to please without Weller being there
but the gigs were superb , i just wish id gone now tho.
Bloody hell !

Offline step taylor

• Bored Teenager
    • MSN Messenger - steptaylor@ntlworld.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 03:07:39 PM »
I have been telling you all for months how good FTJ are!!!

I caught them at Ipswich on the first night of the tour (following Guildford in May) and I'm at the last gig of the tour at The Brighton Centre on Dec 21st (last night  of tour here to reflect the last ever gig here in 82).

The band are quite simply a powerful tight act and the songs are as good today as they were back in the early 80s.

Accept Russell, the lead singer, for what he is  a mad JAM fan. He was 'in the crowd' at Brighton in 82 for the last night so must berelishing the final night of this tour at the same venue.

Get there if you can.Few tickets remain. 

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 03:27:45 PM »
I'd heard they were recording new stuff for the tour, but no record or new songs when I saw them - any info anybody?

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2008, 08:51:49 PM »
I can answer my own question! I saw this on Ceefax and this is from Billboard:

From The Jam Prepping DVD, New Album
From The Jam

February 01, 2008, 11:35 AM ET

Gary Graff, Detroit
Now that they've got their show on the road, there should be some new product from From The Jam in the near future.

Bassist Bruce Foxton -- who along with original Jam drummer Rick Buckler leads the revived version of the legendary punk/new wave band -- tells Billboard.com that From The Jam hopes to release both a live DVD and possibly an album of new material, and perhaps both this year.

The DVD is a done deal; the group -- which also includes guitarists David Moore and Russell Hastings in place of original frontman Paul Weller -- filmed a December show in London, which it plans to release in May.

As for new material, Foxton says From The Jam plans to start rehearsing song ideas in April, after the group finishes its early-year tour commitments. "There will be new material, (but) it probably won't see the light of day until the end of this year," he says. "We've got a few good ideas kicking around. We'll see what we come up with. We don't want to rush it. There's no pressure from a record label or anybody. It's a great position to be in."

While Foxton says it's "premature" to guess what the group's original songs will sound like, he notes that "it's not that dissimilar from (the Jam) from the rhythm section department" but notes that Hastings and Moore will likely bring some different influences and sounds to the mix. "It's experimental," Foxton says. "When we go into the studio, that's when we'll really see what we've got."

Similarly, he's not predicting whether From The Jam will be as politically minded as the Jam was. "I'm not sure what direction we're gonna go in," Foxton says. "We're not sure who will actually come to the forefront on the lyrical side yet."

Whatever transpires, however, Foxton says he and Buckler are pleased that From The Jam is doing good business on the road and feeding the Jam appetite that still exists more than 25 years after the original group split.

"The audience is coming out in hundreds and thousands," Foxton reports. "Everybody is kind of a winner with this. The audience do want to hear the music performed again. There are a lot of cover bands out there playing Jam songs, so why don't we get out there with two-thirds of the original band and play these songs? It's more credible, you know?"

And hasn't their website got flash!

http://www.fromthejam.net/

Offline jock

• Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mohawks.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 07:21:09 PM »
Cheers Fred !!
 8)
Bloody hell !

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008, 02:40:55 PM »
A few dates in May and July and a December tour:

http://www.fromthejam.net/ftj_gigs.htm

Offline Mansunkid

• Great Explorer
  • Peter
    • ICQ Messenger - 458532593
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2008, 10:51:47 AM »
...by the way: do they have a better haircut?  :o

Excellent music in the past...the worst haircuts I've ever seen in my life! ;D
Trust Not Those in Whom Without Some Touch of Madness (Thalia Zedek)

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2008, 01:42:15 PM »
Bruce Foxton looks remarkably similar.

Rick Buckler has no hair cut as he has no hair!

Offline Mansunkid

• Great Explorer
  • Peter
    • ICQ Messenger - 458532593
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2008, 01:46:45 PM »
Bruce Foxton looks remarkably similar.

Rick Buckler has no hair cut as he has no hair!

Foxton  >:(
Buckler  :o
Trust Not Those in Whom Without Some Touch of Madness (Thalia Zedek)

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2008, 01:55:28 PM »
Phew, folks I'm soooo glad for you that you have no bigger problems than Foxton's and Buckler's hair!  ;D  :D
Just around the corner and miles away...

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2008, 01:57:48 PM »
Oooh Hooo! Get her!

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2008, 01:59:06 PM »
Just around the corner and miles away...

Offline step taylor

• Bored Teenager
    • MSN Messenger - steptaylor@ntlworld.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2008, 04:14:17 PM »
Next big do in the South is July 9th At Chichester Jazz Festival!!!
2500 capacity under a marquee (apparently it was great last year).

Cheapest accommodation is Chichester Uni.Walking distance to Priory Park. £29 B & B with student bar open all night (subject to punters).

Come and sample the pure class of these guys and re live the greatest sounds of the punk/mod era.

FTJ are on the opening night Wed July 9th.

Do not miss out. 

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2008, 01:51:01 PM »
"Paul Weller: 'Jam Reunion Would Be Utterly Pointless' Even if he was impoverished...

by Jason Gregory 21 June 2008

Former Jam frontman Paul Weller has said that a full reunion of the band would be “totally and utterly pointless”.

Weller, who rejected the chance to reunite with his old bandmates Rick Buckler and Bruce Foxton last year, said that even if he was “impoverished” he wouldn’t consider it.

"That (reunion) will never happen, I can promise you,” Weller said, in an interview with Spin.

"It would be totally and utterly pointless. Even if I was impoverished - and thank God I'm not - I'd go off and do something else, playing pubs and clubs instead.”

Weller added that it was more important to maintain “some sort of dignity.”

“The Jam was a great statement at the time, and many of our records still stand up today, but it's over, it's the past, and that's where it should stay."

Buckler and Foxton have spent the last twelve  months touring under the name From The Jam, with Weller’s role as frontman replaced by a guest singer."