Author Topic: The TUTS Boox > What Are You Reading This Week?  (Read 29916 times)

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • True  Results - People Change for Good
    • Email
Bored Teenagers
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2008, 07:09:05 PM »
Just finished reading How To Be A Happy Teenager by Andrew Matthews.

Matthews is king when it comes to finding happiness... www.seashell.co..au

I asked Smit's son Benj to read and review it for me because so many of my coachees believe they have issues with their teenagers and I wanted to help them.

Bej's review was so good I pcked up the book and read it cover to cover in two days.

Wish I'd read the bloody thing back when I was a teenager. :-[

Actually 95% of it is totally pertinant to us older less Bored Teenagers.

"Deep inside you know it's right to lean towards the light"

Tj Sundown
Leaning towards the Starlight

chris

Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2008, 08:14:33 PM »
Granted I've only read the key bits required for my critical analysis (around 4-5 chapters) but I've just read/am reading '"Surely you're joking, Mr.Feynman"' which is an autobiography/collection of annecdotes about Richard Feynman who was one of the theoretical physics staff members at the Los Alamos site (where they made the first atomic bombs).

This man has been described as "half genius, half buffoon" and I can see why.This book is a surprisingly entertaining read.  This guy was really funny and he rarely bothers talking about physics (phew).  I'm actually going to read the whole book as opposed to just the chapters needed as it is just that good. 

Winner of the Nobel Prize for Physics in 1965, Richard Feynman was one of the world's greatest theoretical physicists, but he was also a man who fell, often jumped, into adventure. An artist, safecracker, practical joker and storyteller, Feynman's life was a series of combustoble combinations made possible by his unique mixture of high intelligence, unquenchable curiosity and eternal scepticism. Over a period of years, Feynman's conversations with his friend Ralph Leighton were first taped and then set down as they appear here, little changed from their spoken form, giving a wise, funny, passionate and totally honest self-portrait of one of the greatest men of our age.

Recommended for sure. 

chris

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2008, 01:57:26 AM »
On top of that i've just started reading 'world war z' by max brooks (author of the zombie survival guide).  This book is damn good fun, 'an oral history of the zombie war' that almost wiped out human life as we know it recounted by the survivors.
god i love zombies...

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2008, 10:41:54 AM »
...and zombies love you!

BUT DO SOME BLOODY WORK!!!!!

Offline Alan

• The Newshound
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2008, 11:02:41 AM »
the youth of today.... why can't he be a Bronte fan?

chris

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2008, 01:42:40 PM »
...and zombies love you!

BUT DO SOME BLOODY WORK!!!!!

I'll have you know I completed a 3000 word critical analysis the other day and handed it in EARLY. 
I'm just that good...

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2008, 01:57:30 PM »
Excellent news Chris - very well done.

That means you'll have more time to dedicate to your next essay! GET ON WITH IT!

chris

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2008, 06:57:39 PM »
Excellent news Chris - very well done.

That means you'll have more time to dedicate to your next essay! GET ON WITH IT!

You are very hard to please, you realise this don't you?

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2008, 12:42:38 AM »
Just saving your Dad a job! Just think, the harder you work now, the more you'll enjoy Blackpool - where I'll get you a beer or three!!!

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2008, 11:34:19 AM »
One of my fave books is going to get a German translation!!  8)

"Rat Scabies und der Heilige Gral" von Christopher Dawes

http://www.verlag-seeling.de/05.html

Nice review from German paper Musikexpress too (reviewed in 2005, i.e. the English version):

»Punkrocklegende löst größtes Rätsel der Geschichte (Oder: ?)
In den Londoner Vorort Brentford gezogen, stellt Ex-Musikjournalist Dawes fest, dass eines seiner Jugendidole gleich gegenüber wohnt: Rat Scabies, explosiver Trommler und Schlagzeugvernichter der Punklegende The Damned – ein Riesenglück mit Haken. Denn Scabies erweist sich nicht nur als höchst schrullig, sondern geradezu aufsässig, wenn es um sein Hobby geht: die Jagd nach dem Heiligen Gral. Es beginnt eine bizarre Spurensuche und abenteuerliche Herumreiserei zwischen Brentford, Schottland und Frankreich. Können die beiden das Großrätsel der Menschheitsgeschichte lösen?
Es wäre unfair, die Antwort zu verraten; und ist auch gar nicht das Wesentliche an diesem herrlichen Buch, in dessen Verlauf der Leser u.a. Scabies’ Eltern kennen lernt, einen irrwitzigen Festivalkoch, einen verrückten Photovagabunden, den berühmtesten Bücherdetektiv der Welt (früher Gitarrist der Pink Fairies), einen französischen Dorfkneipenwirt aus Manchester, einen vermeintlichen CIA-Agenten, einen geheimnisvollen Pfarrer und einen barfüßigen Gelehrten und Bestsellerautoren. Die beiden ›Helden‹ kriechen in dunkle Höhlen, erklettern verbotene Türme, nehmen an einer Tempelritterzeremonie teil, wälzen Alpen von Büchern, schlagen sich mit Grillen, Wellensitichen, Esoterikfreaks, Geistern, dem Bau einer ›Bundeslade‹, Miniaturaffen und verschlüsselten Dokumenten herum, geraten auch mal in Lebensgefahr, machen mehr als einen erstaunlichen Zufallsfund und sind am (rührenden) Ende ein gutes Stück schlauer.
Ganz nebenbei erfährt man aus Dawes’ ebenso witzigem wie stichfesten Buch (von dem er sagt, man könne sich gar nicht vorstellen, wie sehr er wünsche, er hätte auch nur ein bisschen davon erfunden) derart viele historische und andere Details, dass man am liebsten selbst ... zumindest die eine oder andere mittelalterliche Kirche aufsuchen möchte. Aber es erweist sich eben auch, dass die Suche nach mythischen Schätzen im Grunde etwas ganz anderem gilt ... «
* * * * * Michael Sailer (Musikexpress 8/05)
Just around the corner and miles away...

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2008, 12:01:56 PM »
I love Babel fish!

"Punkrocklegende solves largest mystery of history (or: ?) In the Londoner suburb Brentford pulled, tightens ex music journalist Dawes that one lives equal its Jugendidole opposite: Advice Scabies, explosive Trommler and impact things annihilator of the Punklegende The Damned - a giant luck with hooks. Because Scabies proves not only when most schrullig, but almost aufsaessig, if it concerns its hobby: the hunt for the holy Gral. It begins a bizarre tracing and an adventurous Herumreiserei between Brentford, Scotland and France. Can the two solve the large mystery of mankind history? It would be unfair to betray the answer; and is not also at all the substantial at this wonderful book, in its process of the readers among other things. Scabies ' parents to know learns, a err-funny festival cook, a moved photo vagabond, the most famous book detective of the world (in former times guitarist of the Pink Fairies), a French village tavern landlord from Manchester, an alleged CIA agent, a mysterious minister and a barfuessigen scholar and best-selling authors. The two > Helden< creep in dark caves, erklettern forbidden towers, participate in a temple knight ceremony, roll alps of books, strike themselves with crickets, Wellensitichen, Esoterikfreaks, spirit, the building of one > Bundeslade<, miniature ape and coded documents around, turned out also times in mortal danger, make more than an amazing coincidence find and are smarter at (agitating) the end a good piece. Completely besides one experiences from Dawes ' just as funny as unassailable book (of which he says, one cannot at all introduce itself, as much he wishes, he would have also only a little invented of it) in such a manner many historical and other details that one would like to dearest even visit... at least or other medieval church. But it proves evenly also that the search for mythischen treasures in the reason applies somewhat for completely different one... " * * * * * Michael Sailer (music express 8/05)

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2008, 12:12:48 PM »
Horrible, I hate Babelfish...  :P

I'm always suprised about the "habit" of this program to leave words totally un-translated:
erklettern forbidden towers

I mean it's not that difficult to find out it means they're climbing towers...

Btw, if you're looking for decent English reviews, here you'll find some:
http://www.geocities.com/ratscabiesholygrail/

I liked this one:

"The Da Vinci Code gets the punk rock treatment"(The Bookseller)

And this:
the true story of a punk rockers search for the Holy Grail.
Rat Scabies, the former drummer with The Damned and his music-journalist neighbour Dawes start in Rennes-le-Chateau and cross Europe on what must be the oddest road trip of all time. Dan Brown eat your heart out.
Just around the corner and miles away...

Class of 79

« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2008, 09:36:30 AM »
Reading 'A Piano in the Pyrenees' by the comedian Tony Hawks.  I've read all of Tony's other books, but this isn't his best.

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2008, 11:54:40 AM »
Cheers Uli.

I mean I love the dodgy translations - makes me laugh out loud!!!

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • True  Results - People Change for Good
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2008, 12:39:43 PM »
The Seven Spiritual Laws Of Success.

Read it once and loved it so I'm now reading it agian and taking notes in my Moleskine Legend notebook.

It's really help take this hell of a challenging month and turn it into heaven. :D

...Next up the CD.

Check it out Mrs F? :D
"Deep inside you know it's right to lean towards the light"

Tj Sundown
Leaning towards the Starlight