Author Topic: The TUTS Boox > What Are You Reading This Week?  (Read 29918 times)

Offline Alan

• The Newshound
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
Re: The TUTS Boox > What Are You Reading This Week?
« Reply #90 on: October 15, 2015, 06:02:03 PM »
Mary Beard's Pompeii and so far really engrossing.... thanks to my school trip to the London exhibition in 1979 this is one date - 79AD that I always remember...

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 23, 2016, 11:14:19 AM »
I really want to get the book "Road Series" by Hugo Race.
This interview is quite interesting:
http://www.killyourdarlingsjournal.com/2016/03/music-as-illusion-of-life/

That’s always been one of the reasons why I travel: I find the differences even between cities in the same country incredibly interesting, along with the ways these differences affect the people who live there.
I think the first time anyone visits Italy, they’re impressed by the obvious features of life: the incredible architecture, the great food, the outgoingness of the people. It takes a while in a place like that to see that there’s a shadow side to all of those things. The maintenance of the historic beauty of the Italian cities comes at some cost to the people who actually live in those cities.

What was really challenging about writing Road Series was going way back into the past and remembering things. I dug up old journals, lyric books, press clippings that I’d kept… I looked at things on the internet, particularly for the chapters about the 1980s, because for me, the 1980s are so blurry. I had these memories, but I couldn’t date-stamp them. I had to find cross-references.
http://www.hugoracemusic.com/
Just around the corner and miles away...

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 20, 2016, 08:41:59 AM »
Must get this when it's out...

http://welcometotwinpeaks.com/news/mark-frost-reads-from-twin-peaks-book/
Mark Frost’s The Secret History of Twin Peaks, due in October 2016 as a book and on CD, will be a dossier of documents about our favorite Pacific Northwestern town, compiled by a mysterious person (we’ll discover his or her identity by the end of the book). Last weekend, for the first time ever, the author not only revealed a page from his upcoming tie-in book, but narrated it at The Ojai Valley Museum in his hometown.

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 07, 2016, 02:38:40 PM »
This, in the near future:

http://www.tvsmith.com/images/alt50-large.jpg

Not before time either - A canny understaind a wird he says maist o' ra time!

Offline Rockula

• Global Moderator
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 07, 2016, 03:25:07 PM »
I believe Sir meant:

Och aye! Me an' a'!

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 07, 2016, 06:02:11 PM »
A canny understaind a wird he says maist o' ra time!

Erm, huh?

Och aye! Me an' a'!

Huh?

Anyway, surprising news (to me at least)! Especially as today I defended Rollins a bit on a Damned FB group. And, even more coincidence here, I'd just read the name Andy Vella on my The Cure ticket for Stuttgart - he was part of 'Parched Art', who designed many Cure album/single covers etc.!  :o

The first ever book of lyrics by TV Smith. Published by Foruli Codex, “The Alternative Top 50” presents fifty of TV’s best lyrics presented in the format of a poetry book. stunningly designed by Andy Vella. With a projected release date of Autumn 2016, the book will launch in two editions: a straightforward paperback, as well as a limited collector's hardback including a ten inch vinyl disc featuring a two track collaboration between TV and Henry Rollins. Watch this space for more information and details of how to pre-order!

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 12, 2016, 07:09:05 PM »
"TV's first ever book of lyrics is to be released on November 3rd at the Stoned Bar in Leipzig, where he will be reading a selection of lyrics from the book and playing some songs too. Books will be on sale at the gig, and shortly after through the webshop on this site."

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 28, 2016, 09:56:52 AM »
Will start reading Chrissie Hynde's "Reckless" this week.

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 29, 2016, 02:26:08 PM »
Still not finished Chrissie Hynde's book, because I read Lol Tolhurst's "Cured" book instead.
Now I will continue with Chrissie's, but also just started looking into this one:

From the co-creator of the landmark television series Twin Peaks comes a novel that deepens the mysteries of that iconic town in ways that not only enrich the original series but readies fans for the upcoming Showtime episodes.

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 14, 2016, 11:33:51 AM »
I'd never read a book by TC Boyle before (although I knew his name somehow), recently I stumbled across "The harder they come" and I've enjoyed it so far (even in the German translation I'm reading)...
http://www.tcboyle.com/page2.html?2
The book opens with Sten Stensen, father of the shooter-to-be, who is on a cruise ship that makes a stop in Costa Rica, where he and his wife join a group of their fellow senior citizens for a nature hike.  The group is attacked by three young muggers and Sten reacts instinctively, killing one of them with his bare hands as the other two run off, an act for which he is hailed in the press as a hero.  On returning home, he finds that his son, Adam, is becoming increasingly delusional.  Adam’s break with reality is swift and violent.  The third major character, Sara Hovarty Jennings, is a member of the Sovereign Citizens’ Movement that rejects governmental authority.*  She becomes Adam’s mentor and lover and helps nurture his hatred of authority.  Don’t tread on me, indeed.

Recent events—the massacre in Santa Barbara in the spring of 2014, the Pennsylvania shootings later that year (in which, like Adam, the gunman took to the woods to avoid capture), and the 2015 Charlie Hebdo murders—serve only to underline the central questions here: why is it, I wonder, do the mentally unstable in our societies have access to lethal weapons?  And why are the shooters (in this country, at any rate) young, white and disaffected, let alone hard, isolate, stoic and killers through and through?  I’m not a sociologist.  I have no answers.  But The Harder They Come is an attempt to enter the mind of one such shooter, as well as that of his father and lover, to imagine just how he might see the world, our world, the one in which we all, increasingly, seem to be targets.

* This has its echoes in Germany too, currently there's news reports about so-called "Reichsbuerger" (and similar crazies), who reject governmental authority...

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 16, 2017, 12:16:30 PM »
Guess I should get this (after I finished Viv Albertine's book, which I'm currently reading)...

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/sex-pistols-steve-jones-looks-back-it-just-seemed-doomed-w456503

Steve Jones, born in London but a Los Angeleno for decades, is considering a move to what he describes as the "middle of nowhere" in northern California. "It's just beautiful, it's not too hot and they have a lot of rain," he says. "And there's not a lot of people. Most people get on my nerves these days, maybe 'cause I'm turning into a grumpy old man."

The guitarist has been considering his journey from handkerchief-headed Sex Pistol to grumpy old man a lot lately, as he worked on his recently released memoir, Lonely Boy. In the book, he structured his life into three parts: "Before," "During" and "After." "It's like a guitar solo – start, beginning and end," he says, sounding more thoughtful and witty than grumpy.

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 16, 2017, 01:41:36 PM »
Meanwhile I did get Steve Jones' book and will start reading soon. Some interesting pics in it: Gaye Advert (with a snake) and Malcolm McLaren in drag (from the movie set of "Great rock'n'roll swindle).  ;D

Offline slaughterboy

• Cast Of Thousands
  • Now tick-free
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 26, 2017, 08:26:35 PM »
Just started 'Black Monk Time'.

Think I'm going to have a lot of reading time on my hands in the coming months  :(
Down like a stick...

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 28, 2017, 10:05:44 AM »
One to get for next year:

http://welcometotwinpeaks.com/lynch/david-lynch-room-to-dream-biography/
Room to Dream, David Lynch’s memoir-biography hybrid co-written by Kristine McKenna, will hit the shelves on June 12, 2018, so you can start crossing your fingers for a book tour!

In this hybrid of biography and memoir as unusual as the man himself, Lynch opens up for the first time about a life lived in pursuit of his incredibly singular vision and the many heartaches and struggles he’s faced to bring his unorthodox projects to fruition—sometimes successful, sometimes not. Lynch’s lyrical, intensely intimate and wholly unfiltered personal reflections riff off of shorter, preceding biographical sections, written by close collaborator Kristine McKenna and based on hundreds of new interviews with surprisingly candid ex-wives, family members, actors, agents, musicians, and colleagues in various fields who all have their own take on what happened.