Author Topic: The Waterboys  (Read 13383 times)

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
The Waterboys
« on: January 28, 2008, 04:05:47 PM »
Found this on The Waterboys' website:

The fifth Waterboys’ album, 1990’s Room To Roam, is being prepared for remastering and reissue by EMI during 2008. Like the recent remasters of This Is The Sea and Fisherman’s Blues, it will be issued as a 2CD set, the second CD comprising previously unissued material recorded during the same era as the original album. Mike Scott is currently selecting tracks for inclusion. As soon as we have more details and a release date we’ll let you know.

Good news to me, as this was the first album I heard by them (around 1991), subsequently I bought others and followed their career up till now (latest album "Book Of Lightning", 2007).
I do have "Room To Roam" only on an old tape, so the reissue is gonna be great for me. Btw, the remastered editions of Fisherman's Blues and This Is The Sea were fab as well.  :D
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 06:04:08 PM by Uli »
Just around the corner and miles away...

Offline Steve P

• New Discoverer
    • View Profile
Re: Waterboys Remastered
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 06:03:51 PM »
This reminded me of something that happened a good few years ago. I was round at a friends house and he played the album 'A Pagan Place' by the Waterboys. It was great and I thought I must tell TV about this album when I see him as there were similarities to the stuff he was doing then (mid eighties) Then I turned the album cover over to look at the track listing and he's on it!! (backing vocals)

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 08:47:00 AM »
Nice one Steve! One of the first times I met TV, the subject of chatting also got to the Waterboys and he told me he and Mike Scott lived in the same house for a while (back in the 80's)...

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 10:58:35 AM »
News just in about the remastered album (17 bonus tracks, not bad!):

The remastered 2CD version of Room To Roam will be released by EMI on 11th August. The beautiful package includes new sleevenotes by Mike Scott...
Read more:
http://www.mikescottwaterboys.com/mikescottwaterboys/News/

Offline Rockula

• Global Moderator
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 10:44:39 PM »
I bought the remastered/extended 'This Is The Sea' a couple of years ago and they did a good job. So, this one's on my list. :)

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • True  Results - People Change for Good
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2008, 10:27:30 PM »
The version with TV singing backing vocals is called This Is The Red Sea. :-*
"Deep inside you know it's right to lean towards the light"

Tj Sundown
Leaning towards the Starlight

Offline Rockula

• Global Moderator
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2008, 06:17:03 PM »
The version with TV singing backing vocals is called This Is The Red Sea. :-*

:D

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2008, 09:22:51 AM »
I haven't played my old tape for a long time, so I'm really looking forward to listening again to songs like he haunting ballad "Something that is gone" or the romantic "In search of a rose" etc.! (Gotta admit the traditional "Raggle-taggle gypsy-o" is a bit overplayed and I could do without...)

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2008, 04:08:02 PM »
Aug 5th 2008
The 2CD remastered edition of Room To Roam will be released by EMI this coming Monday, August 11th, containing the original album in improved sound plus seventeen fascinating bonus tracks selected and edited by Mike Scott and featuring the magical 1989-1990 line-up of The Waterboys, with Steve Wickham, Anthony Thistlethwaite, Sharon Shannon and others. You can listen to one of the previously unreleased songs, Sunny Sailor Boy, on our myspace page here, and pre-order the album from our online store here

My copy should be here with me next week, looking forward and all that!  :)

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2008, 05:15:49 PM »
It arrived and I played the remastered album! Really nice to listen to these songs again.  :)
And when you've finished playing the 'regular' album there's still a full bonus CD to play!!
Nice informative booklet with all lyrics too.

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2010, 05:57:29 PM »
Nice page to listen to some "rare" stuff from Mike Scott (live versions, demos etc):
http://soundcloud.com/mickpuck

These are songs and mash-ups from my home studio. Some feature The Waterboys, some just me, some are other stuff.

Nothing here is issued on an album - at least not in this form. And none of it is from current Waterboys projects (An Appointment With Mr Yeats and beyond that the next all-new WBs album), though I may post material arising from those at some stage.

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
Re: The Waterboys
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2010, 10:33:17 AM »
Nice article in Scottish newspaper:

In 1985, just when the Waterboys were searching for the Whole of the Moon and threatening to take their Big Music to the big league, Scott decamped to Ireland, lured by the fiddle and the promise of fresh adventures. Later, when he wearied of the band’s enchanting blend of folk, country, blues and rock, he rediscovered his electric guitar and headed first to New York and then to Findhorn, following the muse and the music to the detriment of his record sales but to the benefit of his soul.

Scott has never shown much interest in following a straight line, which is why he remains one of our most interesting if erratic rock stars. His latest project may be his most ambitious. In An Appointment with Mr Yeats, the Waterboys recontextualise the words of Ireland’s most venerated poet by setting them to rock music.
Read more here:
http://www.heraldscotland.com/arts-ents/music-features/fighting-a-poet-s-corner-1.1062317

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2011, 04:05:39 PM »
New album out soon:

The long-awaited new Waterboys album AN APPOINTMENT WITH MR YEATS will be released across Europe by Proper Records on September 19th.  North American release will follow in 2012.  The album was produced by Mike Scott and Waterboys' bassist Marc Arciero, and contains 14 new songs created from the lyrics of Ireland's greatest poet, WB Yeats (1865-1939).

http://mikescottwaterboys.com/waterboys-mr-yeats-album.php

The Waterboys' first single from An Appointment With Mr Yeats, Sweet Dancer, has started to receive radio play. It has been heard already on Radio 2, Radio 3, 6 Music, XFM, Clyde, Radio Scotland and BBC Northern Ireland. And we're delighted to announce that the single is available for download NOW from iTunes Europe.

We've uploaded a short video of the band performing the mighty September 1913 from An Appointment With Mr Yeats. The film was shot at Dublin's Abbey Theatre last year, and is intercut with Mike Scott interview extracts.
http://www.youtube.com/user/Buff00#p/a/u/0/PgnaOzmcK2w
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 04:08:16 PM by Uli »

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2011, 12:32:09 PM »
Live dates next year, UK and Europe:

http://www.mikescottwaterboys.com/waterboys-shows.php

The first two shows of the European leg of 2012's AN APPOINTMENT WITH THE WATERBOYS tour have just been announced. They are:
March 14: BERLIN Huxley
March 15: COLOGNE Gloria

All the 2012 touring shows will be divided into two sets - one of vintage Waterboys, one of music from the new Appointment With Mr Yeats album - and will feature Mike Scott (vocals, guitar, piano), Steve Wickham (fiddle), Katie Kim (vocals), James Hallawell (keyboards), Marc Arciero (bass), Ralph Salmins (drums) and Melvin Duffy (guitar and pedal steel). More European shows will be announced shortly.

Only 2 German shows - this is not very good for me, as I plan to travel to other gigs in February (Members) and April (Stranglers).  :(