Author Topic: The TUTS Jukebox > What Are You Playing This Week?  (Read 734293 times)

Offline Rockula

• Global Moderator
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
Re: The TUTS Jukebox > What Are You Playing This Week?
« Reply #2025 on: March 20, 2019, 10:41:39 AM »
I've been devoting a whole day (or two) to a single artist/band.

I started with The Adverts/TV Smith last week and today I'm listening to the entire recorded output of The Boys.

Tomorrow it'll be all of Buzzcocks.

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 03:45:13 PM by Uli »
Just around the corner and miles away...

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2027 on: May 07, 2019, 09:50:52 AM »
Been playing the new albums by The Strange and Hugo Race Fatalists. Both excellent, somehow they complement each other (seeing Hugo Race and Chris Eckman sometimes perform together in Dirtmusic)!

Listening to 'Phenomenon' I can't help getting all sorts of names in my head of artists who have come and some have already gone before. The low talk-sing style immediately brings Leonard Cohen to mind, like the way Hugo Race's voice resonates reminds me of The Walkabouts' Chris Eckman. When later on in the album there are a few duets with Lisa Crawley the light and the dark mix perfectly like the tandem Eckman - Torgerson used to do.

In general reading my reviews of Distance, Light & Sky or more recently The Strange and now Taken By The Dream I can only derive at one conclusion: This worlds needs The Walkabouts. Race and Eckman have worked together in Dirtmusic, so the connotation is not that strange.

The album takes care of some intense listening, quality time with music. With a headset on or when played loud enough all the richness hidden in the songs come forward and makes the songs on the album sparkle. A sparkle that certainly is not there at a first glance. The investment of your time in this album is a prerequisite to be able to enjoy it. Invest and you will be rewarded, if folk noir is your thing of course. It is mine in the right doses and at the right moment.
https://wonomagazine.blogspot.com/2019/05/taken-by-dream-hugo-race-fatalists.html

Again Chris Eckman manages to do something that I had not heard from him before. There's no use comparing here to his previous work, as it doesn't have much to do with it. Yes, the voice is unmistakable. The music is much different. The Calexico side of Americana, mixed with mariachi violins, 60s film music and a deep longing mysticism...

Where The Strange scores is in the diversity. (...)
All through the album The Strange manages to capture different moods in a captivating way. Clean, dirty, Americana, jazz, rock, it's all here and more. I got onto the album by accident, the stumbling into shuffle mode of my iPod. I stayed on the album ever since.
https://wonomagazine.blogspot.com/2019/03/echo-chamber-strange.html
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 10:01:58 AM by Uli »

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2028 on: June 27, 2019, 08:38:45 AM »
Apart from the aforementioned (Hugo Race & Chris Eckman projects), I've been listening to new stuff by The Waterboys (the new album is a very mixed bag), Calexico/Iron&Wine (collaboration)...

Also I found a few old tapes, e.g. Deborah Harry "Def, Dumb & Blonde" (1989), hadn't listened to this in ages. ("End of the run" is my favourite song of it.) Ten years later, Blondie released "No Exit"... some good tracks on it.  8)

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2029 on: July 20, 2019, 10:09:48 AM »

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2030 on: September 05, 2019, 11:56:15 AM »
Still listening to Hugo Race Fatalists & The Strange.

Also digging out old stuff from '89 or so: Psychedelic Furs, Tin machine, Kate Bush, The Creatures...

Nothing has changed, but... everything has changed.  ???

Offline Rockula

• Global Moderator
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
« Reply #2031 on: September 10, 2019, 04:00:09 PM »
This week I'm mostly playing Half Man Half Biscuit who were brilliant in Cambridge last Friday.

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2032 on: September 23, 2019, 01:38:36 PM »
Been playing old stuff: The Stranglers - The Raven (40 years old), Lou Reed - New York (30 yrs old)
and some new(er) stuff, mostly the 2 albums by Distance, Light & Sky.

Next week I might be playing Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds.  :o
https://louderthanwar.com/nick-cave-and-the-bad-seeds-announce-surprise-new-album/
Right out of the blue Nick Cave has announced a new album, Ghosteen, which will be released next week. There have been hints of the new album in Cave’s spoken word tour where he has mentioned it

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2033 on: November 14, 2019, 09:13:45 AM »
Been playing lots of music recently, e.g.
Adrian Borland & the Citizens - Alexandria (beautiful album)
The Waterboys (new and old albums)
Heather Nova (Live Nov. 2009)
The Cure (Live in Hyde Park dvd)
The Damned (MGE & more)
Hands Off Gretel
Hugo Race Fatalists
Dirtmusic

and I want to play:
The Adverts - Cast Of Thousands
Ruts DC
and many more
« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 10:21:02 AM by Uli »