Author Topic: The TUTS Cinema, DVD & TV Box > What Are You Watching This Week?  (Read 147672 times)

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
Re: The TUTS Cinema, DVD & TV Box > What Are You Watching This Week?
« Reply #510 on: December 27, 2019, 06:37:14 PM »
Well-written article:
https://metro.co.uk/2019/12/26/twin-peaks-the-return-is-the-most-underrated-tv-show-of-the-decade-11955853/

Created by cinematic auteur David Lynch and Mark Frost, the show followed FBI agent Dale Cooper (Kyle MacLachlan) who is dispatched to the isolated town of Twin Peaks to investigate the death of teenager Laura Palmer. To say he finds more than he bargained for is a bit of an understatement.

Following a perfect first season, Peaks suffered a significant drop in quality during its sophomore series, thanks to pressure by US network ABC for Lynch and Frost to wrap up the show’s central mystery and unveil Laura Palmer’s killer just eight episodes into a 22-episode run.

And then, after changing the TV landscape, Twin Peaks disappeared. After two years of Black Lodges, silent giants and evil demons, it shone too bright, too fast to keep up with the culture that it had already started to shape and shift.

It would take 25 years for Peaks to return to our screens, but when it did…well…what a return. 

From beginning to end, the third series of Twin Peaks is as confounding and confusing as it is brave and singular. It picks up 25 years after the events of the second season but is at the same time a completely new story. Eschewing a new murder mystery, the main plot of the new run of episodes concerns Agent Cooper’s efforts to make his way back to Twin Peaks after being trapped in the Black Lodge by his demonic doppelganger. (...)

As a work of art, it is confusing, difficult and absolutely beyond categorisation. As I’ve said, it’s not an easy watch and not everyone will appreciate it. But if you do appreciate TV as an art form, Twin Peaks: The Return is absolutely essential viewing because it shows just what the medium of TV can achieve when it pairs an all-star cast at the top of its powers with writing so singular it seems to define (several) dimensions.

Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2019/12/26/twin-peaks-the-return-is-the-most-underrated-tv-show-of-the-decade-11955853/?ito=cbshare
Just around the corner and miles away...

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: January 16, 2020, 09:37:47 AM »
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/richard-stanley-director-of-color-out-of-space-is-/1100-6472771/
Filmmaker Richard Stanley, director of the H.P. Lovecraft adaptation Color Out Of Space, has announced that he's writing two follow-up films. Color Out Of Space is intended to be the first film in a trilogy of Lovecraft adaptations.

https://rue-morgue.com/exclusive-richard-stanley-talks-his-upcoming-dunwich-horror-and-the-island-of-dr-moreau-series/
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 11:10:17 AM by Uli »

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: February 04, 2020, 09:11:05 PM »
I LOVED the first episode of the new series of "Inside No. 9" last night. I didn't see that final twist coming:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05p650r
TV SM!TH - for the beer and the company! (AND great songs too!)

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: February 25, 2020, 04:05:17 PM »
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2020/feb/25/director-richard-stanley-interview-color-out-of-space

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/film/richard-stanley-i-m-the-guy-for-the-doomed-project-1.4182713

“I was used to the idea that the government was corrupt and wasn’t going to help you,” he says. “It was the old punk maxim. There was essentially no future. There was no point putting down roots or trying to build for anything. Plus, in South Africa everyone gets two years of military training to learn about weapons and killing people. I made a conscious decision at 16 to desert the South African army and get the hell out of Dodge. I like to imagine that if I had I been growing up in 1930s Germany that I would have had the good sense to do the same. It also makes it very difficult to turn a blind eye when you see the same things happening in other parts of the world.”

Happily, after the best part of a quarter of a century, Stanley – one of the movieverse’s most unique voices – is finally back in action. He’s currently working on the second instalment of a proposed Lovecraft trilogy.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 11:09:24 AM by Uli »

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: March 03, 2020, 10:33:37 AM »
Well I'm happy that I'll be able to see "Die Farbe aus dem All" (aptly translated, eh?) in a cinema next weekend (well it's not a big one and it's only on late at night, but never mind)!!  8)

http://www.filmstarts.de/kritiken/271206.html

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: March 10, 2020, 10:06:12 AM »
"Die Farbe aus dem All"

Well I enjoyed it! Not the biggest "horror movie" fan here, but it was well done (and includes a few "easter eggs" for fans of Stanley). Some scenes seemed "generic", some more suprising to me. Nic Cage does a bit of "over-acting" in places, which to me was quite funny!

https://dmrbooks.com/test-blog/2020/3/9/review-color-out-of-space-starring-nicolas-cage
Those familiar with Lovecraft's story will know that there was a cosmic essence within the meteorite, manifesting as a strange color. As in the story, this color seeks shelter in the darkness of the Gardners’ well and from this bastion, its corrupting radiation begins to change everything in the vicinity, eventually escalating into an apocalyptic fury.

Color Out of Space does a magnificent job of gradually building the strangeness and tension. Director Richard Stanley is to be applauded for the restraint to allow his film the right amount of pacing to maintain that feeling of mounting dread. As the corruption spreads, it warps not only matter but time and space, creating moments when not only are characters uncertain of what has happened – or when it has happened – but the audience is drawn into that same sensation of being out of sync. The more physical manifestations of the color's presence are likewise handled with care. I was very surprised by just how much of the effects work was practical as opposed to computer-generated. And some of the things here are truly gut-wrenching in their design.

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: March 26, 2020, 06:34:31 PM »
Can we have some recommendations for shows/series/box sets to watch during these current turbulent, and soon to be VERY boring, times please?

I'll start with: https://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-windsors

I find this very funny - and Harry Enfield was born to play Charlie!

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: March 27, 2020, 09:10:55 AM »
Well I'm watching "The Tudors" (pretty late with this, I know) and re-watching some of "The Sopranos".

Most things I watched I already mentioned here: "Mr Robot", "Boardwalk Empire", "Peaky Blinders", "Fargo", "True Detective", "The Wire", "The Deuce", "Vinyl"...
for fans of "Breaking Bad" I'd recommend "Better Call Saul" 1-4 (haven't seen the 5th yet).
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 09:13:01 AM by Uli »

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: March 27, 2020, 12:44:16 PM »
Some crackers there Uli. I've never seen The Wire, but I've heard good things about it, so I shall give that a go soon. Thanks for the tip matey.

Over the last two nights, I've watched the first two movies in "The Purge" franchise as I knew what they were about and they seemed fitting for these difficult days!

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: March 27, 2020, 04:10:25 PM »
For those of you who haven't seen "Eastern Promises" by Cronenberg yet, it's one of my fave movies ever!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPSqWOWgCRQ

... I've never seen The Wire, but I've heard good things about it, so I shall give that a go soon.

It's one of the best. (Alongside Sopranos, Twin Peaks etc.)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 04:11:57 PM by Uli »

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: March 27, 2020, 05:03:27 PM »
High praise indeed!

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: March 29, 2020, 10:23:40 AM »
Anyone else got any recommendations?

Offline GJ

• Great Explorer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #522 on: March 29, 2020, 01:44:43 PM »
Some crackers there Uli. I've never seen The Wire, but I've heard good things about it, so I shall give that a go soon. Thanks for the tip matey.

Over the last two nights, I've watched the first two movies in "The Purge" franchise as I knew what they were about and they seemed fitting for these difficult days!
.          All the purge movies are good. So is the TV series on Amazon prime. I watched the Runaways movie last night which was very good.

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: April 11, 2020, 03:22:52 PM »
With weeks of enforced isolation behind us and many more stretching ahead, it’s the perfect moment to reflect on Twin Peaks, which marked its 30th anniversary on Wednesday. The message running like a ghostly thread through David Lynch’s oeuvre is that nothing is as terrifying as life lived day by dreary day. It’s a lesson that resonates more loudly than ever as we reckon with empty streets, creepy calm – and a sense of profound wrongness in the universe.

“It was a slow show, but you never felt it dragged,” observed Caleb Deschanel, the acclaimed cinematographer who directed three episodes of Twin Peaks during its original two-season run from 8 April 1990 to 10 June 1991.

“You always sensed there was something going on under the surface that you had to find. The leisurely pace of it felt like there was a time bomb in a bag in the side of the room. It had this sense that at any moment something terrible could happen.”
Blue Velvet had been a critical and commercial success. It also foreshadowed Twin Peaks in its negative-image take on the American idyll – Norman Rockwell turned upside down, dragged, wailing and hyperventilating, through the looking glass. And it featured an Agent Cooper-esque performance from a 26-year-old MacLachlan (already a Lynch veteran having starred in his baffling but brilliant 1984 adaptation of Frank Herbert’s Dune).

“If the show was a boat moving along, Angelo’s music was the river that carried it,” Frost reflected. “It helped create and support the mood of the show. It gave you a very specific sense of time and place that felt outside of real time and real place. It helped elevate the show into a mythological realm that really separated it from the usual TV view of what the world is. I can’t imagine the show without the music. Angelo is such a fun guy and so great to work with, he’s just as important in the Twin Peaks tapestry as anybody else’s contribution and you know, that turned out pretty well.”
https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/features/twin-peaks-david-lynch-30-anniversary-the-return-fire-walk-with-me-a9446376.html

Offline EastKentTaff

• Cast Of Thousands
  • F..k me, Wales have qualified
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #524 on: April 12, 2020, 07:06:51 PM »
We have watching the complete Spooks on BBC i-Player, also London Kills.  Also on the play list are Repair Shop and Find it, Fix it, Flog it, but not for me.

Have just started reading Tracey Thorn's Bedsit Disco Queen, quite entertaing so far
Phil Nicholson
Whitstable