Author Topic: The TUTS Cinema, DVD & TV Box > What Are You Watching This Week?  (Read 68359 times)

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
Re: The TUTS Cinema, DVD & TV Box > What Are You Watching This Week?
« Reply #450 on: January 19, 2018, 01:30:28 PM »
Yes, it is very good indeed. However I hope I can buy S3 & 4 on blu/dvd (like I did with 1&2), because the German synchro is just not the same as the original...
Also, instead of broadcasting the remaining 3 episodes next Thursday (as they usually do), Arte decided to bring them tonight, but at a later starting time as yesterday, so I will have to watch until 0.40!  :o

« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 01:33:07 PM by Uli »
Just around the corner and miles away...

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: February 14, 2018, 10:42:44 AM »
Last night I watched "Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri". Pretty dark one, dark humour, but also difficult to take.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jit3YhGx5pU

However, some people have strange problems:
https://edition.cnn.com/2018/02/12/entertainment/three-billboards-analysis/index.html
When the movie begins, it's easy to surmise the audience is expected to identify with, and root for, McDormand's grieving mother, who puts up the billboards demanding justice for her murdered daughter. Yet as the story progresses, she proceeds to do a number of terrible things in her conviction about the righteousness of her cause, in a way that makes her less sympathetic.

Similarly, one can argue that Dixon's noble act doesn't change who he is in any significant way. He simply demonstrates himself capable of doing the right thing under certain circumstances.

Imho that's exactly what makes this film different and interesting.

(Some Americans seemingly have problems when anything isn't typical "Hollywood"-style...)  ::)

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: March 10, 2018, 09:46:38 AM »
It's good to hear so many actors from "The Wire" are still busy...

http://www.lifeandstylemag.com/posts/the-wire-cast-where-are-they-now-90589
Can you believe it's been 10 years since the finale of the HBO series The Wire! Since the show has come to an end, many of the show's stars have gone on to attain superstar status, including Idris Elba and Michael B. Jordan.

We think it's time for another binge-watching session — it's considered the best show ever for a reason.
8)

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: June 15, 2018, 11:06:28 AM »
https://www.slashfilm.com/twin-peaks-season-4-might-happen/

Lynch, who co-wrote and directed all eighteen episodes of the long-awaited third season for Showtime last year, recently sat down for an interview with Deadline, and when the reporter asked if he was finished forever with the world of Twin Peaks, Lynch replied simply, “Well, for right now, you could say I don’t want to talk about that.”

That’s not an outright denial, and the phrase “for right now” certainly implies that he’s leaving the door open for more episodes.

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: July 05, 2018, 03:44:36 PM »
Better late than never...
http://www.thehollywoodnews.com/2018/07/04/harry-dean-stantons-final-film-lucky-finally-gets-a-uk-release-date/
Lucky, is at once a love letter to the life and career of Harry Dean Stanton as well as a meditation on mortality, loneliness, spirituality, and human connection, and will be released by Eureka Entertainment in cinemas nationwide (UK & Ireland) and On Demand from 14 September 2018.

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: July 18, 2018, 03:27:24 PM »
Well, I still do go to the cinema from time to time, but I prefer the small ones where you can watch a movie in original language with subtitles and so on. (Next up I might watch "Sicario 2".)

https://www.screendaily.com/news/cinema-is-already-dead-says-david-cronenberg-/5130906.article
David Cronenberg, the director of Crash and Naked Lunch, delivered a damning verdict on the medium of cinema at the Neuchatel International Fantasy Film Festival in Switzerland, an event he is attending as member of the international jury.

“I don’t go to the cinema any more. [in Neuchâtel] I’ve seen more movies than I’ve seen in the last five years. [The jury] are seeing 16 films. I don’t think I’ve been to the cinema 16 times in the last five years. In that sense, for me, that cinema is already dead,” the Canadian director told Screen.

“However, filmmaking is not dead. Image-making is not dead. Cinema becomes something else. It is no longer the cathedral that you go to where you commune with many other people.”
“I started to think maybe the cinematic equivalent of the novel is really a Netflix series that maybe goes on for five years or seven years,” he said on stage. “ Really, this is a new art form. It’s not like old television series. I am seeing some series I thought were really quite brilliant, like Tom Tykwer’s Babylon Berlin. Fantastic - and like a novel. I thought maybe the cinema as we know it is really writing a short story but if you want write a novel, then you have to do a series. I started to think maybe I am not finished with the cinema exactly if we think of the cinema as it is evolving…it is possible that instead of writing a novel, I would do a series for Netflix.”

Offline GJ

• Great Explorer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #456 on: July 25, 2018, 12:28:55 PM »
The new Sacha Baron Cohen series on Channel 4 is the funniest thing I've seen in years.

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: August 14, 2018, 07:23:54 PM »
https://bloody-disgusting.com/indie/3515416/hardware-director-richard-stanleys-next-neo-noir-malware/
Frank Murray (First Reformed) of London based Lux Capta Films has signed on to the neo-noir drama Malware from cult director Richard Stanley (Hardware, Dust Devil), joining David Gregory of Severin Films as producer, Bloody Disgusting can report.

“Malware’s inception came about as a result of the alarm felt by many over the role technology is playing in bringing about this strange new ‘dark age’ of populist sentiment,” says Stanley. “Without giving too much away, I felt inspired by the sinister nature of the dark web and it’s invisible hand’s effect on modern society. I think now more than ever, subversive visual storytelling is poised for a comeback, and Malware is definitely that.”