Author Topic: Neil Young  (Read 84924 times)

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
Re: Neil Young
« Reply #90 on: May 03, 2012, 03:16:16 PM »
Oh, still not sure if I need this... probably not. Typical Crazy Horse sound, but I'd prefer own songs...  :-\
Just around the corner and miles away...

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 08, 2012, 10:07:45 AM »
Got to admit, this seems more interesting to me than the new album!
http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/neil-young-journeys/trailers/neil-young-journeys-theatrical-trailer-29214537.html#jumbo
A look at Neil Young's 2011 solo tour to Toronto's Massey Hall, an iconic venue in the city of his birth. At sixty-five, Young retains a youthful vitality and musical curiosity. Concert footage of the Massey Hall performances is interspersed with scenes from a road trip through Ontario. ... As he drives past the dramatically changed landscape, Young fondly embraces his memories of the past.

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 10, 2012, 01:47:59 PM »
TV SM!TH - for the beer and the company! (AND great songs too!)

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 18, 2012, 01:37:04 PM »
New album available only shortly after the last one!

Psychedelic Pill will be released in October. It was recorded right after Americana at Audio Casa Blanca. A double-CD and triple-vinyl will be released because of the lengths of many of the songs, some of which were previewed in Crazy Horse's live performances earlier this month.

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 22, 2012, 01:04:18 PM »
Autobiography is out already...
For the first time, legendary singer, songwriter, and guitarist Neil Young offers a kaleidoscopic view of his personal life and musical creativity. He tells of his childhood in Ontario, where his father instilled in him a love for the written word; his first brush with mortality when he contracted polio at the age of five; struggling to pay rent during his early days with the Squires; traveling the Canadian prairies in Mort, his 1948 Buick hearse; performing in a remote town as a polar bear prowled beneath the floorboards; leaving Canada on a whim in 1966 to pursue his musical dreams in the pot-filled boulevards and communal canyons of Los Angeles; the brief but influential life of Buffalo Springfield, which formed almost immediately after his arrival in California. He recounts their rapid rise to fame and ultimate break-up; going solo and overcoming his fear of singing alone; forming Crazy Horse and writing “Cinnamon Girl,” “Cowgirl in the Sand,” and “Down by the River” in one day while sick with the flu; joining Crosby, Stills & Nash, recording the landmark CSNY album, Déjà vu, and writing the song, “Ohio;” life at his secluded ranch in the redwoods of Northern California and the pot-filled jam sessions there; falling in love with his wife, Pegi, and the birth of his three children; and finally, finding the contemplative paradise of Hawaii. Astoundingly candid, witty, and as uncompromising and true as his music, Waging Heavy Peace is Neil Young’s journey as only he can tell it.

Throughout Waging Heavy Peace, Young takes a refreshingly honest approach to telling his own story in a voice that engrosses the reader as he reveals his inner thoughts, feelings and motivations. Rather than presenting a chronological look at his life, Young ricochets between memories and reflections, capturing moments in time, past and present.
http://www.music-news.com/shownews.asp?H=Neil-Young-releases-autobiography-Waging-Heavy-Peace-audio-extract&nItemID=58265
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 01:13:43 PM by Uli »

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 23, 2012, 01:38:29 PM »

The new album sounds quite good. I'm sure most old NY&CH fans will be happy. Why is that?
Neil gives it away in one of the songs' lyrics:
"Brand new song with familiar chords".
 ;D

Talking of lyrics, some of them are bit, erm, strange:
"Gonna get a hip hop haircut"...  ??? Wtf?  :P

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 07, 2012, 10:21:33 AM »
Young also recently published his memoirs, titled “Waging Heavy Peace,” which he began to write after he broke his toe in a pool. When Speakeasy talked to Young recently, we asked him if he had bought many rock ‘n’ roll memoirs lately. The only one he could name off the top of his head that he had read was Bob Dylan’s “Chronicles: Volume One.”

“Actually I haven’t read that many of them,” Young said. “I read Bob’s because I like Bob. I just wrote this because basically I didn’t have anything else to do and I couldn’t walk.”
  ;D

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2012/12/06/neil-young-doesnt-read-many-memoirs-but-wrote-one-anyway/

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 25, 2013, 12:27:51 PM »
Young has played with Crazy Horse for about as long as I'm on the planet...

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/how-crazy-horse-jump-started-neil-youngs-career-20130423

Hoping to see them live in July.  :)

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
Neil Young & Crazy Horse Stuttgart
« Reply #102 on: July 23, 2013, 11:14:42 AM »
Good gig last night!  8)
As the ticket was valid for public transport around Stuttgart I parked my car in Plochingen and took the S-Bahn to Bad Cannstatt, a little walk to the "Schleyerhalle" in the heat...
Met my mate and went in. Surprisingly, there was a support band, Okta Logue from Germany. Strangely, my mate had told me he'd seen a Pink Floyd box set in a store earlier that day - and now that band sounded very much like the Floyd in "Shine on you crazy diamond" mood!  :o
After that Neil Young's roadies took like forever to set the stage, some of them wearing strange outfits ("mad scientists") and acting like they were having endless discussions...  ::)
Finally, something happened: believe it or not, the German National anthem was played from tape. Not all of the audience appreciated it, some booing, one person closer to the front showing "the finger".  ;D
Then the gig eventually started with a great number from "Ragged Glory", next up was "Powderfinger", much to my enjoyment, then some newer stuff (incl. a noise excess), later there was an acoustic middle part (just Neil & guitar & harmonica), including his big hit "Heart of gold". Even 2 new unreleased songs were performed by the band. All in all a good show.  8)

Love And Only Love
Powderfinger
Psychedelic Pill
Walk like a giant
Hole in the sky  (new one)
Human Highway
Heart Of Gold
Blowin' in the wind
Singer without a song (new)
Ramada Inn
Sedan Delivery
Surfer Joe...
Mr Soul

Like a hurricane

http://m.schwarzwaelder-bote.de/inhalt.schleyerhalle-neil-young-begeistert-stuttgart.5fa86774-b69d-4c7a-840c-724b366dbca3.html

http://www.neckar-chronik.de/Home/nachrichten/nachrichten-freudenstadt_artikel,-Wahnsinn-live-Neil-Young-und-Crazy-Horse-in-der-Schleyerhalle-_arid,222864.html

http://youtu.be/cYxxywBh16k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5D2c1-FNko
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 11:03:14 AM by Uli »

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 17, 2014, 01:42:00 PM »
http://www.music-news.com/shownews.asp?H=Neil-Young-attacks-Canadian-government&nItemID=74713
Neil Young has gone on the attack against the Canadian Government for 'trading integrity for money'.

Young is assisting with stopping the expansion of the Jackpine mine which currently covers 7500 hectares. The Canadian government has given Shell the approval for the mine to expand to 13,000 hectares. (...)

Neil Young is performing a series of benefit concerts for the First Nations fight in Alberta to protect their lands. The first show was on Sunday night at Massey Hall in Toronto.

Offline slaughterboy

• Cast Of Thousands
  • Now tick-free
    • View Profile
Re: Neil Young & Crazy Horse Stuttgart
« Reply #104 on: January 19, 2014, 11:17:35 AM »

Then the gig eventually started with a great number from "Ragged Glory", next up was "Powderfinger", much to my enjoyment...

Not a huge fan of Neil Young but there is something about 'Powderfinger' that I find exceptionally compelling. Great tune.
Down like a stick...