Author Topic: Neil Young  (Read 69646 times)

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
Re: Neil Young
« Reply #180 on: June 24, 2019, 01:42:55 PM »
http://www.music-news.com/news/UK/122781/Neil-Young-heartbroken-after-death-of-longtime-manager

"Roberts also managed the careers of Joni Mitchell, the Eagles, Tom Petty, the Talking Heads and Devo, and Young praised him for always putting his clients first."
TV SM!TH - for the beer and the company! (AND great songs too!)

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 22, 2019, 08:57:19 AM »
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/20/magazine/neil-young-streaming-music.html

Young was no longer the righteous wandering hippie avatar of his early album covers. He’s an old man now at 73. He’s fleshy and jowly and red-faced, with long, stringy hair. He looked like a prosperous prairie farmer (hogs or cows, some form of livestock) minus the overalls. You can imagine Farmer Neil attending church every Sunday and preaching manic sermons from the pews. What’s still the same are his eyes, smoldering like two hot coals stuck beneath his overhanging brow that featured so prominently on the cover of “After the Gold Rush,” his third album, released in September 1970, back when young people, stoned on primitive weed, might plausibly spend an entire weekend listening to his visions of a lone wanderer adrift in a lost Eden.

As we went back and forth about the dynamics of digital sound-compression and the general evil of big tech, Young got mad about his Facebook user agreement, which not even his high-priced lawyers can untangle. “I’m pissed off about my user agreement,” he says. “I’m pissed off about my privacy policy.”

Yet I could tell that this wasn’t what he wanted to be talking about. Young doesn’t want to be a downer. He is passionate about music. The point of music, and of Young, is to make people feel less lonely. I had taken him to a dark place that he didn’t want to go.

“I really wish this interview hadn’t happened,” he later said, seeming more downhearted than angry.

“I feel horrible,” I answered, and I did. I was hoping to soothe the old rock star, who spoke to me through the headphones of my Sony Walkman at the moments I felt most isolated and alone. The last thing I wanted to do was make him feel bad. It felt awful. What I wanted was to hear him play music and to write more songs. “I mean, the worst thing I could have done is to make you feel defeated,” I told him, “and now that’s what I’ve done.”

Neil Young has always been a little too hot to handle, so passionate and smart and always a little bit off his rocker, which might be part of the glory and also the downside of being Neil Young.  ...

The idea that big technology companies are engineering all that back-and-forth out of his music just kills him. It’s gotten to the point where he doesn’t want to write music anymore, he admitted. I tried once again to console him.

“The songs always came to you in bunches,” I said. It’s an encouraging thought. But Young was only willing to meet my optimism halfway.

“I’ve got great melodies, and the words are all profanities,” he answered. “I was just telling Elliot the other day, I’m not interested in making any more records,” he insisted, plunging us down once more into the void. “They sound like [expletive].”
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 09:02:02 AM by Uli »
Just around the corner and miles away...

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: November 07, 2019, 11:17:00 AM »
http://www.music-news.com/news/UK/125987/Neil-Young-turned-down-millions-to-tour-his-classic-album-Harvest

Congrats on that to him!  8)

(Haven't bought the new album w/ CH yet, what I heard so far wasn't really convincing...)

"It hurts a little to play now where it didn't before. I don't hear quite as well as I did before. My voice is not like it was before.

"Show me something that is like it was before. I feel good about the future. The idea is, do not stop moving."

:)
Just around the corner and miles away...

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: November 10, 2019, 11:17:56 PM »
Yep, he's one of the good guys - on this, and many other, issues.

Meanwhile:

Neil Young says his application for US citizenship has been delayed because of his marijuana use

https://www.nme.com/news/music/neil-young-us-citizenship-delayed-marijuana-2566453

I can think of several other reasons why the current US 'Government' might not want to grant him citizenship - despite all the millions he's paid them in tax!