Author Topic: Johnny Rotten / Lydon Interview  (Read 52644 times)

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
Johnny Rotten / Lydon Interview
« on: May 29, 2008, 01:44:22 PM »
TV SM!TH - for the beer and the company! (AND great songs too!)

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
Re: Johnny Rotten / Lydon Interview
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 01:45:00 PM »
Some soundbites from the end of it:

Johnny on...

Britain: 'A bland menagerie of pomp and idiocy. America's a pretty f----ed up place, but it's amazing to come back here and see it done even worse.'

Sex: 'There was so much sex around in the Seventies, it got very boring.'

Death: 'There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.'

Bono: 'He should lay off the preaching. If you mean to do some good in this world you don't need to go bowing to the Pope.'

Sid Vicious's famous girlfriend, Nancy Spungen: 'Nancy was a pain in the arse, all over me. So I fobbed her off on Sid. From that moment, that was the end of both of them.'

The Eagles: 'Irrelevant. A band like that doesn't write songs that mean anything.'

Self-harming :'There are scars all up my arm. I stopped it [burning myself with cigarettes] when I got up to the top by my shoulder.'

The Queen's Honours List: 'They're bound to offer me a knighthood. They can stuff it - those institutions are the Devil incarnate.'

Malcolm McLaren: 'The most evil man alive.'

'The Sex Pistols: There'll Always be an England' is out on 30 June. The band's world tour starts at Birmingham Academy on 11 June

Offline Alan

• The Newshound
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 06:28:38 PM »
Cheers - interesting interview; he's definitely getting mellower!

Alan

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 01:36:54 PM »
Johnny Rotten accused of assault

The Sex Pistols singer is accused of punching a woman in the face because he didn't like his hotel room

Sean Michaels
Friday June 6, 2008
guardian.co.uk

Johnny Rotten's teeth may no longer be rotten, but the same cannot be said for his attitude. The Sex Pistol is being sued by an LA television producer for sexual harassment and assault.
Rotten, who these days prefers to be called boring old John Lydon, was ridiculed this month for his $22,000 dental makeover in Los Angeles. This is perhaps unsurprising as being a punk-rock legend hardly goes hand in hand with advanced teeth-whitening technology. However, any criticisms of his approach to dental hygiene have now been superseded by the allegations of Roxane Davis, assistant producer on Bodog Battle of the Bands, on which Rotten was a judge. According to TMZ, the Los Angeles County Superior Court lawsuit describes a 2007 incident where Rotten "beat the crap out of [Davis] after calling her every horrible name in the book".

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 08:49:43 AM »
Johnny was on great form last night - loads of one liners and comments to get us going!

The boys were absolutely CRACKING - best I've seen them (Better than last November, FAR better than Crystal Palace - even better than 1996!), although the small venue obviously helped with a fantastic, if very over-heated, atmosphere!

No support - saved a bit of cash no doubt.

Usual set played over an hour and twenty minutes - still no "Satellite" or "I Wanna Be Me" though...

Offline Alan

• The Newshound
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 08:59:42 AM »
Excellent but bloody hot and sweaty night only let down by lack of movement in our Motorway system on the way back...

I've posted a couple of videos;

Bodies - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1tASpO3tJY
Anarchy in the UK - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0fx32OdWPM

To get the authentic feel put your central heating on full and try to get as many people as you can in front of your PC screen, really prise 'em in! And then enjoy!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 09:15:45 AM by Alan »

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 09:22:25 AM »
Just seen the Anarchy clip - great, and as usual, very fast work Alan!

Cheers matey!

Offline Alan

• The Newshound
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 09:24:49 AM »
I don't hang about Fred!

EMI with that brilliant catch by the roadie of a missle is going up as we speak as well - and then that's my lot as the others are just crowd shots really!

Cheers

Alan

Offline Mansunkid

• Great Explorer
  • Peter
    • ICQ Messenger - 458532593
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2008, 09:40:48 AM »
...very, very, very, very fast  :o
By the way, Alan: when did you sleep? :D
Trust Not Those in Whom Without Some Touch of Madness (Thalia Zedek)

Offline Alan

• The Newshound
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2008, 09:42:19 AM »
Peter
sleep is later.....

EMI is now posted, http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=2ThGwi22Sz4  and I'm off to work!

Cheers

Alan

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2008, 12:38:16 PM »
I caught a bit of the Pistols at the Isle of Wight festival on tv last night. What the hell was that cabaret/country and western Pretty Vacant start to the set about? Thank gawd they didn't do that in Brum!

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2008, 12:59:08 PM »
I've seen all the clips now - BRILLIANT stuff under the circumstances Alan! I see what you mean about the roadie's catch!

Talking of roadies, Glen Matlock's bass "roadie" was none other than The Buzzcocks/Chelsea/etc. Tony Barber!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2008, 04:49:07 PM by Fred Owen »

Offline Alan

• The Newshound
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2008, 02:28:26 PM »
It was a great gig - I must admit that I'm a little doubtful of the Pistols being great at an open air festival.... I'll check out some clips and think about it!

Offline Alan

• The Newshound
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2008, 02:33:53 PM »
Oh, and an interesting piece on Sid Vicious today...

From The Sunday Times, June 15, 2008

Best of Times, Worst of Times: Eileen Polk
Eileen Polk, 53, is a photographer who was a close friend of the Sex Pistols’ Sid Vicious and his girlfriend Nancy Spungen. Here she recalls their volatile relationship, and their tragic deaths
I first met Sid Vicious in the summer of 1978. He and Nancy used to show up at Revenge, a punk shop I worked at in New York’s East Village. Sid wasn’t noticeably high. He would always shake hands and talk to people in the shop. Unfortunately, people didn’t like Nancy. She annoyed a lot of the other girls, because they used their looks to meet the guys in the band and Nancy used drugs. The only way she could make money for drugs was from prostitution.

I’d been working as a photographer since about 1973, so everyone was used to seeing me with my camera. I knew Nancy could be trouble, but I was also somebody who gravitated towards the underdog, so Nancy and I became friends.

During the next couple of months, they would come into the shop every now and then, and I could see Sid was getting more stoned. He was drinking a lot too, and was obviously very depressed. There was a lot of strong heroin coming into New York at that time and Nancy was calling up every drug dealer in town, annoying all the wrong people.

The drugs were making Sid and Nancy’s volatile relationship even more troubled. There was domestic violence — on both sides. It was no surprise one of them ended up dead. It just happened to be Nancy. How it happened has always been open to speculation. Sid was arrested for murder, but I’ve talked to people who were at the Chelsea hotel that night and they say Sid was totally out of it. Maybe it was an accident?

They used to play with knives — literally. Anything could have happened.

Sid got out on bail, but he was distraught about Nancy and attempted suicide. His mother, Anne, had come over to look after him and Sid was taken to Bellevue hospital. That cleaned him up for a time. I remember seeing him after he came out. Blondie were playing at the Palladium and he was with his new girlfriend, Michelle Robison. I knew Michelle. She was a nice middle-class girl, but she and Sid bonded after they met at a club. Sid still got into trouble.

A few weeks later he was in a scuffle and this time he went to Rikers Island — with all the real criminals.

On February 1, 1979, Michelle, Anne and I went to the courthouse and he was released on bail. Anne was determined to keep him on the straight and narrow. She decided to throw a dinner party at Michelle’s place and cook Sid’s favourite meal, spaghetti bolognese. Sid was in a great mood, telling us stories about his time in prison. Jerry Only of the Misfits and Howie Pyro of the Blessed were at the flat, but they were good guys. It was only when Jerry Nolan [former drummer with the New York Dolls] turned up that

I started to worry. Jerry was a notorious junkie. We ate and listened to more of Sid’s stories, and then these London friends of Sid’s showed up. Immediately the atmosphere changed. I could tell drugs were in the room. I said to Jerry and Howie: “Look, if they’re going to start shooting up, let’s go.” We got our coats on, but that’s when Sid overdosed.

Anne knew what to do. She’d seen it before. We started wrapping blankets round him, rubbing his arms, shaking him. Suddenly he came round. The first thing he said was: “Sorry I scared you all.” He seemed a bit shocked he’d overdosed, but he was okay. He even had a cup of tea.

I left around 2am and that was the last time I saw him. He died sometime after we left and the police report said it was an overdose. Everybody assumed it was suicide, but the Sid Vicious I saw that night didn’t look like he was about to commit suicide. I think the strength of that heroin took him by surprise.

When you overdose you’re not supposed to sleep, because the heart can slow down and stop. Maybe that’s what happened — he died in his sleep by accident. But that’s not “exciting” enough for the punk myth, is it? We need murder and suicide! Everything about his life has been turned into a myth. The media has trampled on his grave, on Nancy’s grave and on Anne’s grave [she died in 1996].

It’s easy to blame Nancy and Anne for his death, but who can you blame in a situation like that? Nancy and Sid both seemed to have mental problems. Anne had her own troubled life and didn’t know how to be a normal mother. How can you talk about blame? What about the drug dealers? What about the guys who paid Nancy for sex? Why not blame them?

Sid and Nancy have become the poster children for punk. That wasn’t punk. Punk was something that came along and challenged the way things were. Sid and Nancy were part of punk, but the media are only interested in two dead kids. If Sid and Nancy had been around today, maybe they’d be in rehab, having therapy sessions, getting help. Their story might have had a happy ending.

Eileen Polk’s images are included in the exhibition Sid Vicious: No One Is Innocent, at Proud Camden in London, until August 12; www.proud.co.uk

Interview by Danny Scott.

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2008, 04:53:25 PM »
The Pistols outdoors:

Finsbury Park 1996: BRILLIANT!

Crystal Palace 2002: NOT so brilliant... Crap sound and poor atmosphere didn't help though.

Were you thinking of seeing them at one of their festival gigs? Once they got going (properly!) yesterday they seemed to be going down a storm - I only saw Pretty Vacant and Bodies though... Don't know if they showed anything else.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 02:21:40 PM by Fred Owen »