Author Topic: Johnny Rotten / Lydon Interview  (Read 66084 times)

Offline Rockula

• Global Moderator
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
Re: Johnny Rotten / Lydon Interview
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2008, 08:25:04 PM »
The Pistols outdoors:

Finsbury Park 1996: BRILLIANT!

Crystal Palace 2002: NOT so brilliant... Crap sound and poor atmosphere didn't help though.

Were you thinking of seeing them at one of their gestival gigs? Once they got going (properly!) yesterday they seemed to be going down a storm - I only saw Pretty Vacant and Bodies though... Don't know if they showed anything else.

They only showed the two versions of 'Pretty Vacant' (the 'skiffle reggae' version followed by the full on version) and 'Bodies' but the BBC show repeats of the festivals for weeks so I expect we'll get to see more of it.
 There was a short interview with Lydon where he admits he still enjoys 'butterflies' or stage nerves before going on. Nice to hear performing still gives him a buzz and it's not ALL about the filthy lucre.

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2008, 11:11:49 PM »
At Brum he said he hates ticket touts - as that's money he could well use! Filthy lucre after all!!!
TV SM!TH - for the beer and the company! (AND great songs too!)

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2008, 01:33:53 PM »
Sex Pistols: 'Coldplay Are Just Men In Anoraks' He launches strong attack...

by Jason Gregory 16 June 2008

Sex Pistols frontman John Lydon has launched a vicious attack on Coldplay, comparing the group to “men in anoraks.”

In an interview with the Sun newspaper, Lydon said that he felt sorry for the “poor bastards” that have to watch the band.

“They are utterly humourless. I met them a few years ago, said hello and realised they were just men in anoraks,” Lydon said.

“They looked like a gang of little poncy masturbators.

Although he said that the band's songs have "a couple of quite nice tones here and there", Lydon criticised the people who buy them, calling them "slightly inadequate, half-baked people.”

Lydon's comments came backstage at the Isle of Wight Festival, where the Sex Pistols headlined on Saturday (June 17th).

The singer also spoke about the possibility of the a new album from The Sex Pistols, which would be only their second studio LP.

“There could be a new record. That would be nice,” he said. But I won’t do anything in a patronising way.

“The music, the subject and the attitude all have to be right at the same time. Everything has to be from the heart.”

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2008, 01:50:35 PM »
Sex Pistols 'plan to release second album'
By Lucy Cockcroft
Last Updated: 11:40AM BST 16/06/2008
The Sex Pistols have announced that they may record another album, three decades after their first and only studio LP.

Sex Pistols frontman John Lyndon performs at the Isle Of Wight Festival
Lead singer Johnny Rotten, whose real name is John Lydon, has said the punk band are finally considering a follow up to their 1977 offering, Never Mind the *********, Here's the Sex Pistols.

But he said the record will only be made if they can capture the right "attitude".

Rotten said: "There could be a new record. That would be nice.

"But I won't do anything in a patronising way. The music, the subject and the attitude all have to be right at the same time. Everything has to be from the heart."

The band, whose line-up includes guitarist Steve Jones, bass-player Glen Matlock and drummer Paul Cook, disclosed the plans after their performance at the Isle of Wight Festival on Saturday.

True to form they re-started an old feud with 70s band The Stranglers at the festival after the band mocked them for playing songs from just one album.

But Rotten said: "We only needed to make the one record. They're touring 30 records they could have put into one.

"Beware people with less talent. The Stranglers are jealous because they are idiotic. There's nothing there, they don't stand for anything."

The Sex Pistols formed in London in 1975 and are widely credited with initiating the punk movement in Britain.

They became as famous for their outrageous behaviour as their song lyrics. Their 1977 single "God Save the Queen" was regarded as an attack on the British monarchy and British nationalism.

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2008, 02:20:58 PM »
Sex Pistols: 'We were never punk, we bitterly reject it'
Sex Pistols at Isle Of Wight Plus John Lydon takes aim at George Bush at Isle Of Wight

Jun 15, 2008

Sex Pistols have denied they are a punk band following their headlining performance at the Isle Of Wight festival last night (June 14).

Despite being so closely associated with the genre and the 1977 British "summer of punk", frontman John Lydon declared the band wanted nothing to do with punk moments after stepping off stage.

"We never liked the moniker 'punk' right from the start," declared Lydon. "That’s something like the press gave to us or attached to us. I’ve always, myself personally bitterly rejected it. I don’t like the term. It means in American, you know, Mr Big’s Bum boy in prison. I really don’t think any big fat Yank fancies my bottom!"

Lydon said though that he enjoyed playing his biggest British date in several years – "a thoroughly enjoyable gig. It’s nice to see the English amusing themselves as per usual – Sex Pistols stylie!" – he had a few words of warning for the country of his birth.

He told Virgin Radio: "Tony Blair's Britain! All right! An upper class twat teaching me working class values! Look what he's done! He took Britain to war! He took us to war right? He became George Bush's lapdog, and by association we're what? We're Yankee poodle pus? You know, we're like lap fodder for that?

"It's insane! And the only troops that did any good anyway over there was the Brits, as per usual, you know with our crappy outfits, and boots that don't fit, and water bottles that leak. You know! We're in Basra, in hardcore gaffs, and they sod off to you know, the centre of the city to open up a disco!"

However Lydon, who now lives in America, added he was not anit-American but, on the eve of his last visit Britain as president, he was just anti-Bush.

"I'm not anti-American, I live in America and the soldiers that are sent out there, they're coming back so distraught and so disillusioned by their government," he explained. "Don't hate Americans, hate, like most decent Americans, hate that government. Not the people, hate that government. All right?"

Live highlights of the band's set are being broadcast at Virginradio.co.uk.

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2008, 02:46:06 PM »
Always funny to read what Johnny has to say...  ;D
Just around the corner and miles away...

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2008, 12:49:26 PM »
Sex Pistols' New Stuff
John Lydon confirms they have made new songs
17 June 2008 - The Sex Pistols scooped up the Icon Award at last night’s MOJO’s (16 June) and speaking to 6 Music, frontman John Lydon responded to reports the band have new material ready.

He said: “It’s a nice rumour and it might possibly be true we are attempting to. It’s like all things Sex Pistols – it’s riddled in chaos.

“You know, who knows what the future will hold, maybe no future. So far I’ve proved that wrong. I’ve got a splendid future.”

Isle Of Wight

The Sex Pistols were fresh from heading up the Saturday night (14 June) of the Isle of Wight Festival.

Lydon seemed to enjoy himself at the event, saying: “The Isle Of Wight was splendid fun. A weird, odd crowd but that’s alright because we cater to all types, even the middle class on holiday.”"It’s a nice rumour and it might possibly be true. It’s like all things Sex Pistols – it’s riddled in chaos."
John Lydon

Sex Pistols’ Pantomime

Back in January, 6 Music reported that Julien Temple - who has documented much of the Sex Pistols’ early work and continues to do so now - had intentions to make a pantomime with John Lydon sometime next year.

The director also scooped the Vision Award at the MOJO's last night, but when Lydon was asked about Temple’s theatrical intentions, he was strongly opposed.

Lydon said: “Listen, Julien Temple is not a Sex Pistol. Never quote to me anyone who is not about what we do. Thank you, good night.”

Temple’s most recent effort, The Sex Pistols - There’ll Always Be An England, is a showcase of the band’s recent Brixton Academy gigs and is due out at the end of the month (30 June).

MOJO Icon Award

This award was attributed to the band because of their overall impact on music and culture from fashion to the media, film and literature - as MOJO’s Editor-In-Chief said:

“As punk’s standard-bearers, the Sex Pistols truly redefined modern music in the space of one solitary album.

“They remain totems for rebellion in a manner that is totally unique and which we are proud to salute with this award.”

Georgie Rogers

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2008, 12:14:16 PM »
Oh my! Aren't there a lot os Pistols stories!

" Sex Pistol tells Duffy to 'f**k off' 

Duffy was reduced to tears after Sex Pistols star Johnny Rotten told her to 'f**k off'. 

The Welsh singer approached the punk backstage at the MOJO Honours List awards ceremony on Monday (16.06.08) and tried to hug him. Johnny allegedly brushed her off, saying: 'F**k off, you ****. You never do that to me.'

The 'Warwick Avenue’ singer was so shocked she burst into tears. A source said: "Duffy could not believe it. It came completely out of the blue. "

She went to throw an arm around John as they posed up for their group photo. He obviously wasn't expecting it and jumped when she touched him. "

Then he let loose with his tirade - it was still totally uncalled for. Duffy looked terrified and began to cry."

A spokesperson for Duffy – real name Aimee Anne Duffy- said: 'Duffy was completely shocked by Johnny’s outburst. She just wanted to give him a hug and introduce herself. She was really shaken and upset and went home immediately in tears.'

The Sex Pistols frontman later claimed he hadn’t realised who Duffy was, saying: 'Oh, she got an award? I quite like her.'

Duffy won Single of the Year for 'Mercy’ at the awards bash in London, while the Sex Pistols picked up the Icon prize."

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2008, 07:16:12 AM »
Oh my! Aren't there a lot os Pistols stories!

" Sex Pistol tells Duffy to 'f**k off' 

Disgraceful behaviour, eh?  ;)

Lots of Pistols stories, surely a pure coincidence there's a tour and upcoming DVD...
Just around the corner and miles away...

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2008, 08:46:43 AM »
No!

Say it can't be so!!!

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2008, 12:46:08 PM »
Sex Pistols' John Lydon Calls Modern Day Festivals 'Posh Butlins' - He wants the 70s back...

by Jason Gregory 03 July 2008

Sex Pistols frontman John Lydon has compared modern day festivals to “posh Butlins”, where the crowd are full of “polite schoolteachers”.

Although the Sex Pistols headlined the Isle of Wight Festival last month, Lydon said that it didn't compare to events in the bands heyday.

“I was remembering festivals in the 70s and how crazy mad they used to be and what great fun,” he told the Daily Star.

“This lot were deckchairs, posh Butlins – what I was performing to was polite schoolteachers.”

“But it’s all right because it’s not the kids that need education – it’s that lot. I didn’t go to Glastonbury because what’s that without the hippies and the rave?”

Personally, I think he's talking bollocks - "Polite Schoolteachers" indeed - loud, rude lecturers more like!

Offline Rockula

• Global Moderator
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2008, 03:07:21 PM »
John Lydon once said he prefered a nice cup of tea to sex. I bet it's Horlicks or Bovril these days gawd luv 'im. ;)

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2008, 04:09:23 PM »
I though that was Boy George?

If they both said it they could open a nice Olde-fashioned Tea Shoppe!

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2008, 10:10:11 AM »
John will be appearing live on BBC 1, The One Show, today, Monday,
July 28th at 1900 (BST) talking about the excellent 'There'll Always
Be An England' DVD.

See JL.Com for more info...

JL.Com: Army of One
http://www.johnlydon.com
http://www.youtube.com/rottentv

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2008, 05:18:54 PM »
Sex Pistols on Bill Grundy's 'Today' show most requested clip

Punks' TV swearing tops new poll

The Sex Pistols’ controversial appearance on Bill Grundy’s 'Today' programme is the most requested TV clip ever, according to a professional survey.

The band's sweary live appearance was aired in December 1976, a year before their legendary debut album 'Never Mind the Bollocks, Here's the Sex Pistols' was released.

The poll was conducted by Freemantle Media, which controls the Thames TV back catalogue, who have recently celebrated their 40th birthday.

The Sex Pistols were not intended guests for the early evening show but were replacements for labelmates Queen, who had pulled out of the interview at the last minute.

Grundy, who has since claimed he was drunk at the time, flirted with Siouxsie Sioux before Sex Pistols guitarist Steve Jones reprimanded the host, resulting in the following exchange:

Jones: "You dirty sod. You dirty old man."
Grundy: "Well keep going chief, keep going. Go on. You've got another five seconds. Say something outrageous."
Jones: "You dirty bastard."
Grundy: "Go on, again."
Jones: "You dirty fucker."
Grundy: "What a clever boy."
Jones: "What a fucking rotter."

Jones' language, along with Johnny 'Rotten' Lydon's use of the word "shit" prompted the headlines 'The Filth And The Fury' in the Daily Mirror and 'Punk? Call It Filthy Lucre' in the Daily Express, which went on to become names of Sex Pistols' 2000 film and 1996 tour, respectively.

In the recent survey - which counted requests from TV companies to use the clip - Paul Potts' first appearance on 'Britain's Got Talent' came in third.

Leona Lewis winning 'X Factor' in 2006 was the fifth most requested and Will Young's victory in the first 'Pop Idol' back in 2001 was sixth.