Author Topic: Johnny Rotten / Lydon Interview  (Read 66077 times)

Offline jock

• Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mohawks.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
    • Email
Re: Johnny Rotten / Lydon Interview
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2008, 09:19:49 PM »
Mr rotten was allright on the today  show ,     tonight   ::) 

i thort eeewas aawight  guv. :P
Bloody hell !

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2008, 07:46:24 AM »
Today or tonight?, now I'm confused Jock!  :P

Anyway, guess I'll have to check out the new live DVD, anyone seen it yet?
Just around the corner and miles away...

Offline jock

• Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2008, 10:04:27 AM »
yeh uli it was the Today show last night   ::)

and the new DVD is ace ! i recognise a few folks in the DVD esspecially one bauldy bloke
from our home town !  good crowd shots etc   and the extras on the DVD are good as well .

but now i was Pie and Mash - you'll see why when you watch the extras !
Bloody hell !

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2008, 02:31:17 PM »
Thanks Jock, I should receive a copy soon and be able to watch it the next few days...
I'll let you know how I like it.

Offline Rockula

• Global Moderator
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2008, 04:19:40 PM »
yeh uli it was the Today show last night   ::)

It's actually called The One Show, cause it's on BBC One. ;D

And I don't think Johnny thought much of the cameramen putting on thier fancy dress punk wigs did he. :D

Offline jock

• Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2008, 08:42:43 AM »
OOPS  the ONE show   ::) ;D  ive got a one track mind ...whats the the Today show then ?   Gawd .
 ::)

yeh the cameramen dressed up didnt go down too well heheeeee  ..   

im off to loch Lomond on Sunday to catch the Pistols live ..might be allright for a giggle ...IF it doesnt rain !  and i just realised that i dont own waterproof boots anymore ...   OH DEAR ! 
Bloody hell !

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2008, 01:41:56 PM »
John Lydon slams 'Aimless Winehouse' for 'imitating black music'

Sex Pistol hits out at the singer's 'idiotic' jazz style

Sex Pistols frontman John Lydon has hit out at Amy Winehouse, criticising her for "imitating black music in her idiotic way".

The star added that he believes artists who embrace jazz are just covering up for a lack of talent.

Speaking to the Daily Record, Lydon said: "Poor old Amy. Aimless Winehouse would be a better term. I love all kinds of music but the one thing I have never done is imitate black music in her idiotic way.

"There's not a single word that means anything. It's not like these songs are deeply moving or inspirational or cultural in any way you could find useful."

Referring to his distrust of artists influenced by jazz, the punk icon said: "I don't like pale imitations and shades of things and I am always wary when people go jazzy because jazz is the best cover up for a lack of talent the world has ever known. It don't wash real with me.

"And the cover up for her which is probably the guilt trip is that she requires vast amounts of drugs to hide the fact that she is fake."

As well as branding Coldplay "passion killers" and calling Pete Doherty "selfish and cowardly", Lydon spoke out against the Isle Of Wight Festival, which the Sex Pistols headlined in June, saying: "It is orchestrated deckchair seating and gay rainbow flag waving. It's very, very absurd."
TV SM!TH - for the beer and the company! (AND great songs too!)

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2008, 03:11:06 PM »
Referring to his distrust of artists influenced by jazz, the punk icon said: "I don't like pale imitations and shades of things and I am always wary when people go jazzy because jazz is the best cover up for a lack of talent the world has ever known. It don't wash real with me.

Ha ha, maybe not true, but very funny to read. (I don't really like Jazz as well...)

Amy Winehouse is overrated, her voice ain't all that bad, but she only got famous for doing drugs and singing "I won't go into rehab" and then having to do rehab... etc.  :P

Getting back to the Pistols: I watched parts of the DVD and it's not bad. Jones still plays a mean guitar and Cook's drumming along with Matlock's apt bass playing pushes the songs forward. (At some points they still sound a bit like "cartoon versions" to me though...) Lydon is funny when talking to the audience. (And yes, the crowd shots are good, they seem to have more fun than the band, he he.) Why the fuck does he have to wear a PiL shirt? This reminded me of his sentence: "I fully intend to carry on with PiL in the future". Said it in '99 or so...  :(
Like I said, not bad, but doesn't fully convince me. I've always been rather hesitant about the Pistols' reunions...  :-\
Guess the extras with the old sods reminiscing about their old playgrounds in London will be nice to watch.

Offline Rockula

• Global Moderator
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2008, 04:28:46 PM »
These 'reunions' have been about every other year since 1996 so are they actually reunions....or the ongoing live dates of a REALLY lazy band. ::)

Get in the studio and do new stuff. :D

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2008, 06:19:52 PM »
These 'reunions' have been about every other year since 1996 so are they actually reunions....or the ongoing live dates of a REALLY lazy band.

Good question. Well they had a "break" of a few years, as the 'reunions' happened 1996-97 and then 2002 and again 2007-08. There was talk of new stuff recently, but as yet... nothing.

Offline Rockula

• Global Moderator
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2008, 04:57:56 PM »
These 'reunions' have been about every other year since 1996 so are they actually reunions....or the ongoing live dates of a REALLY lazy band.

Good question. Well they had a "break" of a few years, as the 'reunions' happened 1996-97 and then 2002 and again 2007-08. There was talk of new stuff recently, but as yet... nothing.

It's like waiting for a Guns And Roses LP. ;)

Ps. I am NOT waiting for a Guns And Roses LP.

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2008, 12:22:23 PM »
I think Guns N'Roses played new stuff live (at least)...

As I'd expected watching the extras of the Pistols DVD was good fun, they're showing places all over London where they rehearsed, played, lived, drunk etc. Especially the bus ride with Lydon was funny.
Dare I say it, somehow this was more interesting than the live footage...  :o

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2008, 03:37:21 PM »
Sex Pistols' John Lydon takes aim at George Bush at Live At Loch Lomond

Sex Pistols closed this years Live At Loch Lomond festival last night (August 3) with a storming set which frontman John Lydon used to hit out at the newspaper claims that he is racist.

The singer also took aim at US president George Bush during the main stage set.

"I don't know if anyone reads the newspapers, but they have a fucking liberty to call me a racist," the singer angrily declared just before his band played 'Holidays In The Sun'.

Lydon, who teased the mud-soaked crowd throughout the set, then slated Bush by demanding that the president be "erased".

Sex Pistols played:

'Pretty Vacant'
'Bodies'
'Baghdad Was A Blast'
'I'm A Lazy Sod'
'New York'
'No Feelings'
'Liar'
'Holidays In The Sun'
'Submission'
'(I'm Not Your) Stepping Stone'
'No Fun'
'Problems'
'God Save The Queen'
'EMI'
'Anarchy In The UK'
'Silver Machine'
TV SM!TH - for the beer and the company! (AND great songs too!)

Offline jock

• Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2008, 04:16:17 PM »
The Sex Pistols were indeed on top form last night , they were superb , one of the best times ive seen them for sure with Steve joking around too they all seemed in great spirits.
Im glad they cut out that 'skiffle' start to pretty Vacant , but they did Silver machine , i cant stand
that song !!

the festival site itself is small !  not a big festival but it is expensive !  one of the worst ive been too for prices !!  15 for four beer tokens ( you cant buy any less than four )  thats 3.75 per pint or HALF pint of vodka ice ...  or for a jack daniels or whatever !!!  FUCKIN RIP OFF Bastards !!  >:(
we suggled in a bottle of vodka and two tins of red stripe but that didnt last long ...  sadly 30 's worth of beer tokens didnt last long either .

It was easy to get to the front to see the band which makes a change .  Id go back to Loch Lomond festival if there were good enough headliners but id certainly go  on a smuggeling trip first cos the prices to eat wasnt much better !   two shitty cheeseburgers 7.50 !

BUT the Pistols were superb , so that made my weekend --- now all i need is some TVSmith this week to make my year complete !

Bloody hell !

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2008, 09:01:54 PM »
Great to hear the band was on tp form and you enjoyed yourself Jock!
Don't worry, it's the same with festivals almost everywhere - beer, food etc. is a rip-off...  >:(