Author Topic: Patti Smith Interview / Review  (Read 11203 times)

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
TV SM!TH - for the beer and the company! (AND great songs too!)

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
Re: Patti Smith Interview / Review
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2016, 01:43:02 PM »

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
Just around the corner and miles away...

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
Re: Patti Smith Interview / Review
« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2019, 09:58:23 AM »
https://www.newstatesman.com/culture/music-theatre/2019/09/patti-smith-i-m-american-artist-and-i-feel-guilty-about-everything

Her new volume, Year of the Monkey, is an incantatory, ambulatory travelogue spun from a notebook entry on New Year’s Day 2016, a few hours after playing a gig at the Fillmore in San Francisco. It reflects more than a hint of life on the road as a rockstar – morning after morning in motel rooms, endless cravings for grits and black coffee, fruitless journeys to diners not yet opened. In Just Kids Smith points out that she and Mapplethorpe’s obsessions were art and food.

“I spend a lot of time on my own,” she tells me, “so that’s the little touchstone – where you’re going to have your coffee, where you’re going to have lunch. When I’m by myself, sometimes days go by and the only people I talk to are shopkeepers or café owners. That’s why it’s nice, if you have a café where they’re used to you, and a little bit of social engagement. But I’m not very social, so it doesn’t really bother me not to have social engagement.”

Her habits as revealed in the book – she has conversations with inanimate objects – bear the marks of an introvert. “I’m just not social – it’s a little different,” she says. “I’m not shy, I just find it difficult in social situations. Sometimes all I want to do is escape – I was like that as a child, Thanksgiving dinner with a bunch of relatives, I just wanted to high-tail it out of there. It’s no judgement on anybody.”

« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 10:06:12 AM by Uli »
Just around the corner and miles away...