Author Topic: Lemmy - oh dear!  (Read 17745 times)

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile

Offline Nick

• Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
    • Nick
    • Email
Re: Lemmy - oh dear!
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2009, 02:04:53 PM »
The way I see it is that everybody knows what the nazi's did and what they stand for, therefore if you choose to wear nazi paraphanelia then you are a nazi. It's that simple!

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2009, 04:10:46 PM »
It's not that simple. I thought we'd already come to the conclusion that Lemmy isn't?  ::)
(Btw, this is an old discussion from 2008. Fred just posted a new interview link in here...)
Just around the corner and miles away...

Offline Rockula

• Global Moderator
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2009, 07:53:09 PM »
The way I see it is that everybody knows what the nazi's did and what they stand for, therefore if you choose to wear nazi paraphanelia then you are a nazi. It's that simple!

I almost agree. However, as the Nazi uniforms were designed by Hugo Boss does that mean anyone wearing the perfume/aftershave is planning world domination. I ponder.

Offline Nick

• Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
    • Nick
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2009, 10:00:16 AM »
It's not that simple. I thought we'd already come to the conclusion that Lemmy isn't?  ::)
(Btw, this is an old discussion from 2008. Fred just posted a new interview link in here...)

The way I see it if I go out wearing a TV Smith t-shirt it is because I want people to know that I am a fan, if I go out wearing a CND badge it is because I want to advertise the fact that I am against nuclear arms. Likewise if anyone sports nazi attire it sends out the same message- I am a nazi. Otherwise why wear it?
I know Lemmy collects war memoribilia and there is nothing wrong with that, but out of all his collection he chose to wear a nazi cap. That sends a message to me and most probably to other nazi's as well.
Further more, you can decide if you want that Lemmy is not a nazi, but I will make my own mind up. This may be an old post but it's the first time I have seen it.

Offline Alan

• The Newshound
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2009, 10:09:16 AM »
Fair point Nick - personally I don't see Lemmy as a Nazi, but others can easily make the association. Reminds me of the impact that Siouxsie & Sid had wearing swastikas all those years ago......

Personally I wouldn't be seen wearing such stuff.

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2009, 10:55:25 AM »
Me neither - nor a cowboy hat in light of recent posts!

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2009, 11:07:28 AM »
The way I see it if I go out wearing a TV Smith t-shirt it is because I want people to know that I am a fan, if I go out wearing a CND badge it is because I want to advertise the fact that I am against nuclear arms. Likewise if anyone sports nazi attire it sends out the same message- I am a nazi. Otherwise why wear it?

To show off his great collection?  ::)
Maybe you shouldn't think that everyone on the planet acts like you would? (Or as Tj used to say "never assume".)

Anyway, if you read the interviews with Lemmy (or people who worked with him, went out with him etc), you will be able to get your own picture and make up your mind.

I myself don't think Sid or Siouxsie or anyone of those early "punks" who wore swastikas (for provocation, I guess) were ever Nazis (which according to your "theory" they would've been).

Btw, was Lemmy ever sued for wearing that hat or not?  ???

Edit: as far as I know he wasn't seen wearing it all that often, now that would be different...  ::)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 11:12:16 AM by Uli »

Offline Nick

• Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
    • Nick
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2009, 02:59:21 PM »
Fair point Uli

I do not think Lemmy is actually a nazi. But I do think that wearing any "gang colours" so to speak will always affiliate you with that group in the eyes of others.  :)

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2009, 08:41:15 AM »
Yeah, as we'd already said, it wasn't very clever of Lemmy. (But who knows, Lemmy might be shocked if we called him clever...*lol*)

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2011, 12:26:59 PM »
Metal night next Friday including the Lemmy Movie and "Do Not Panic", the rather excellent Hawkwind documentary:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour/programmes/schedules/2011/07/22

Lemmy: The Movie

This two hour film celebrates the life and rock 'n' roll philosophy of Motorhead frontman and bassist Lemmy.

Lemmy became the bass player in Hawkwind and sang their biggest hit Silver Machine before forming his own hard rockin' metal trio Motorhead in the mid-70s, blending punk and primal rock n roll into a foot to the floor, hard driving rock n roll aesthetic which resulted in monster hits like Ace of Spades and the live album, No Sleep Til Hammersmith in the early 80s and to which he has remained constantly steadfast.

Still touring, still enjoying the rock 'n' roll lifestyle, still inspired by Little Richard and The Beatles, Lemmy remains the ultimate unredeemed and unrepentant rock 'n' roll star. Joining Lemmy and members of Motorhead to celebrate his life and times are Hawkwind's Dave Brock, Metallica's James Hetfield, Dave Grohl, Alice Cooper, Peter Hook and Jarvis Cocker.

Hawkwind - Do Not Panic

The inside story of Hawkwind, one of Britain's wildest acid rock bands. Emerging from the Ladbroke Grove underground at the end of the 60s, the band trailed radicalism and counter-culture in their wake, and have been a direct influence on punk, metal, dance and rave. Includes interviews with some of the band's enduring legends, including bassist Lemmy, writer Michael Moorcock, founder members Terry Ollis, Nik Turner and Mick Slattery, and former managers Doug Smith and Jeff Dexter.

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2011, 10:30:00 AM »
Do Not Panic - but they are on tonight!

Offline Nick

• Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
    • Nick
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2011, 10:43:38 AM »
I have seen the Hawkwind documentary. I thought it was good. I am not that interested in the Lemmy one though.  :)

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2011, 10:53:32 AM »
Lemmy is cool - much cooler than me...  8)

Offline Nick

• Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
    • Nick
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2011, 11:16:28 AM »
Lemmy is cool - much cooler than me...  8)

Well if Lemmy is cooler than you Uli, I had better watch it because you are obviously very cool.  :)