Author Topic: TV, Damned, Penetration, Yobs, 999 Play Rebellion: Kentish Town, London 13.12.08  (Read 42213 times)

Offline Kalle

• New Discoverer
    • View Profile
    • http://www.greatbigkiss.de
    • Email
iŽll be at bull&gate about 1.00, i think ;D

Offline Alan

• The Newshound
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
Kalle

Hopefully see you there!

Just thinking - as the Yobs normally feature Vom does that mean Vom will also play with TV.....

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
Just thinking - as the Yobs normally feature Vom does that mean Vom will also play with TV.....

Very unlikely: Die Toten Hosen are currently touring Germany with lots of sold-out gigs!
Just around the corner and miles away...

Offline Mrs Fleagle

• Cast Of Thousands
    • MSN Messenger - aliensathome@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Bloody hell, I am going to have to wear my wellington boots today , it is very heavy rain, just been out and now look like a drowned rat >:(

Not the type of weather to be hanging around int so revised arrival time for Fleagles is just before TV is on  :)

Mrs Fleagle  ::)

e have guided missiles and misguided men.

Offline GJ

• Great Explorer
    • View Profile
    • Email
Great gig-no TUTS in the Bull and Gate (which was a bit of a dive) so me and the Mrs went in to watch Goldblade,who were OK. Great to meet up with Alan and Fred,and we all enjoyed The Shapes. TV was next and was brilliant,as usual, not wasting a second of his 30 minutes (didn't seem that long). It had been pretty quiet till then but I was pleased to see TV pulled a good crowd by the end of his set. Then we took a break for some excellent beer, food and company (The Fleagles and Alex) in The Pineapple. The Yobs turned out not to be The Boys, but John Plain and friends, so we gave them a miss. Back in for 999 who were on top form,Guy especially,and who wiped the floor with the Subs. Pablo arrived at the venue and phoned Guy to report that it was really quiet. He was correct-the reason being he'd gone to The Astoria instead! The Subs are consistent though,this weeks line up being as dull as the others. They were followed by Penetration who were really good. Johhny Moped turned up! Very enjoyable he was too and great to see him again 30 years on. Then it was The Damned,who started with a new one and followed that by a dreadful version of Neat Neat Neat. Another less than impressive new one featured backing tapes,which didn't impress me,though they did do a good Fan Club. It's been ages since I've seen a decent Damned gig and after The Captain anounced a song from the 80s (can't remember which one but it was shite and also had backing tapes) we left. Worth going for TV and 999 who were by far the besT on the day, but I enjoyed Penetration a lot more than I expected to.

Offline Alan

• The Newshound
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
Yeah sorry about not making the Bull & Gate, me and Fred had a hell of a drive down - I even had to drive my little car through a river of a flood.....

Anyways once there it was great to see everyone again! Sadly it wasn't easy to chat as the sound was up at "11" most of the night (I think the Yobs fiddled with the dials)

I agree with most of Gareth's write-up, although I enjoyed the Subs more than him!

The Damned were very hit and miss - Neatx3 was strangled, and the '80's number did nothing for me either. Mind you Curtain Call and the middle section was great, but boy did they get the ending wrong.. I had said to Fred that the 13 minute epic that ends the otherwise excellent new Damned album would probably be better live - it wasn't /isn't! The Captain kicked it off with some very proud words to the effect that this was the song that they had long intended to make, and had hoped that Syd Barrett as producer would take them there... the Floyd drummer that they got for Music For Pleasure however "couldn't mix a gin and tonic". On this showing just maybe he was better than they thought...

The final song meandered on, and on, in a way that was horribly pre-punk and self-indulgent, and in the end left just Monty and the Captain drumming furiously on two mini drum kits at the front of the stage, and eventually petered out... to a stoney silence... the song had no end to applaud so nobody did, it was a surprise to find the band had left the stage... the silence was long and grim, in the end the Devilish Presley bloke had to come on to persuade the crowd to make the Captain come back on stage, the cheers came, but not as loud as normal. When they did reappear the Captain seemed to acknowledge the failure with "You'll like this next one.." Ouch!

But it was a great day, and TV was brilliant, as were 999, the Subs, the Shapes, Radio Stars, Johnny Moped, and (not a band I normally enjoy) Penetration also - the Yobs were enjoyable but disappointing, and I guess ditto for the Damned. Doubley for the Damned as they have a great new album and when I last saw them a year or so ago they were really on form....

Anyway here's TV with Christmas Bloody Christmas...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=hpVZ-jFGHNs

And the Shapes with Wot's for lunch...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=JbIyKJLuAmQ

That's it on the vids as Security stopped me..... (right at the end of Christmas Bloody Christmas so it is a little abrupt when it finishes)

« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 04:45:13 PM by Alan »

Offline Rockula

• Global Moderator
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
An Alternative View.

Arrived at Bull & Gate at 11.30am. Met friends from all over but no TUTS in evidence. Stayed to drink the beer as I knew the Forum's bar sucks. No twig juice but some decent bitter. Totally missed Picture Frame Seduction so can't comment on the opening act.
 Went in the venue to see my young friends The Rabble battling against a terrible sound (bad set up, bad engineer) but they gave it their all as usual and as I know the songs I could 'dicipher' what they were playing through the interminable muddiness pumping through the speakers. Hope they get better sound in Glasgow tonight. They're decent chaps.
 Now don't get me wrong. I like Goldblade. I've seen them 8 times this year and they are entertaining but I needed more beer and had arranged to be back in the pub to meet some more mates so only caught the end of the set. John Robb will get a cold if he doesn't at least TRY to keep his shirt on.
 Came back for The Shapes who were very entertaining and did the only two songs of theirs I actually knew. I liked them. Batman in the launderette indeed!
 Then came the first real highlight of the day. Mr. Smith of course. Great set and all the TUTS down the front. Seemed like a rather short set but quality none the less. I think Fred's got the setlist. Christmas, Christmas, Christmas BLOODY Christmas. ;D
 I didn't catch ANY of Radio Stars 'cause I never liked them so didn't bother. Back to the pub for more beer and conversation.
 Came back for The Yobs but I FUCKING HATE Christmas so all those Xmas songs, jokey or not, got my back up and I spent most of the set chatting outside on the pavement smoking myself stupid. I came in for the encore as that was at least a real Boy's song. The First Time. Again.
 999 were superb. Nice to hear the tracks from the latest album as well as the selected 'oldies'. I hoped for 'No Pity' but got 'Nasty Nasty'. Fair trade. 8)
 UK Subs, in my opinion were excellent, much tighter than the last time I saw them (last week, ho ho) and I managed not to get recorded singing along and get posted on YouTube again (Alan was not in my vicinity). Despite what the last review says I think the current line up with Kata and Alvin pisses all over the 'classic' line up musically. But I do prefer them in smaller venues. I generally prefer anybody in a smaller venue.
 PENETRATION! What can I say! THE highlight for me. One of my all time favourite bands and THE best female vocalist. And they actually sounded BETTER than 30 years ago. Loving the new single and really looking forward to the album in 2009.
 Johnny Moped. No comment.

And finally...The Damned. Started superbly with 'There'll come a day' (a song that only Dave was in the recorded version of the line-up) was a great opener then...
 Two bars into 'Neat Neat Neat' some INCREDIBLE wanker threw a whole pint of lager at Pinch covering him, the drums and the electrics. It obviously pissed him of royally (it would me too) another was thrown all over the front of the stage and another hit the Captain's guitar. It sort of went down hill after that. Shame. I love the new stuff and was looking forward to it. Seems some crowds can't get past the material on the first two albums and haven't even bothered to listen to anything since. A dissapointing end to an otherwise excellent day.

I won't go in to the disabled and smoking policies of the venue as that's nothing to do with the music. I would simply say that slipping over in 3 inches of beer and dislocating my thumb was not exactly a highlight.

And at the end Gaye was right. It was time for a nice sit down with a lovely cup of tea. ::)

Offline Alan

• The Newshound
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
I forgot about the idiot throwing the beer at the Damned - but I think that last song in it's elongated glory would have sank like a stone anyway... but the good bits were very good indeed! :)

Oh DJ if you check out the TV Smith vid you'll see a did capture you...

Offline Rockula

• Global Moderator
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
I forgot about the idiot throwing the beer at the Damned - but I think that last song in it's elongated glory would have sank like a stone anyway... but the good bits were very good indeed! :)

Oh DJ if you check out the TV Smith vid you'll see a did capture you...

Ah. Caught again. But I'm almost in tune this time. And half way through if you listen carefully you can hear my 'percussion' as my steel caps kick the barrier. ::)

Offline fleagle

• Cast Of Thousands
  • you will never know who you really are
    • MSN Messenger - info@stagefrite.co.uk
    • View Profile
    • stagefrite - keepin it live!
    • Email
well what can I say..

Bad Points:

1) the sound for all the bands was basically pretty poor ..much like killing joke at the same venue a few weeks back..eg

999 - guy days guitar - very low
Subs - slightly better
Penetration - no vocals
Damned - initially no vocals, then a complete mush..not helped by idiots with beer trying to fuck whole set!!

2) no cider on tap after about 4 pm - only crap watered down lager
3) outside smoking area - sorry sheep pen.
4) lack of bins to put plastic glasses - I expect 50% of people are adult enough to use a bin which would probably save most of the floor being like a obstacle course.

Good points:

1) TV sound was good - set was really powerful and well appreciated by a good crowd
2) the pineapple pub is a great little oasis for nice food and beer! thanks Gareth!
3) all the evening bands were on form  Even Johnny moped played as well as he possibly could  ::)(the band are quite underated) loved 999,subs penetration (highlight for me) and the damned new stuff could have been really good...if not for outside factors - but they did play short version of curtain call - a fave of mine.
4) always good to see fellow TUTS,Alan,Fred,DJ and Xa,Mr and Mrs GJ and the ever delightful Gaye and John...and a special mention to Kalle from Germany who came over just for the gig - cheers mate see you soon!

nuff said except I am really reconsidering going to any more of these 'bigger events' as the fun factor seems to be deteriorating fast ... :(

despite that - glad I went

fleags

« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 08:56:01 PM by fleagle »
I got some presents for you boo-boo

Offline lemming

• Bored Teenager
    • View Profile
i thought tv was great as were 999
pentration were a let down for me and johnny moped was just plain boring
as for the damned i thought they great but they struggled against poor sound and a lot of beer throwing

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
Thanks for all your reports. Glad to hear most of you enjoyed at least a few bands. (And Johnny Moped did turn up!!)
Just around the corner and miles away...

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
Good news - yep, got the setlists for TV and The Damned!
Bad news - left them at home - put them up / review tonight...

Great to see so many TUTS - shame you couldn't really talk in there.

I SAID, IT WAS A SHAME YOU COULDN'T REALLY TALK IN THERE!
TV SM!TH - for the beer and the company! (AND great songs too!)

Offline GJ

• Great Explorer
    • View Profile
    • Email
Well, there's 1 exception, but we seem to agree on how good Penetration were (and I'm sure Fred wouldn't disagree). Like Rockula I think the new single's great too. one or two complaints about the sound-the only band I noticed when it was a problem was Goldblade. Penetration sounded excellent from my position (a few feet away from you Rockula).

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
The sound really did seem to vary - not just from band to band, but from position to position within the venue. "The Yobs" really didn't do themselves any favours by being so loud on stage that everything was TOO distorted to start with - they had only had one rehersal apparently, so they were probably trying to hide the errors!

I did indeed think Penetration were great - thought the new single sounded very pop on first hearing. Why do bands bother with singles these days?
TV SM!TH - for the beer and the company! (AND great songs too!)