Author Topic: The Who  (Read 9897 times)

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
Re: The Who
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2019, 08:45:36 PM »
TV SM!TH - for the beer and the company! (AND great songs too!)

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
Re: The Who
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2019, 09:51:25 AM »
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/11/25/magazine/pete-townshend-the-who-interview.html
The massive question was: Who are we? What is our function? What is our worth? Are we disenfranchised, or are we able to take society over and guide it? Are we against the establishment? Are we being used by it? Are we artists, or are we entertainers?

Is there an honest reading other than a pessimistís for what the answers to most of those questions ended up being?
I think so. Rock íní roll was a celebration of congregation. A celebration of irresponsibility. But we donít have the brains to answer the question of what it was that rock íní roll tried to start and has failed to finish. Neither do our journalistic colleagues, no matter how smart they think they are. Greil Marcus is not going to write the book that has the answer. Heís not going to come up with the goods. For Godís sake, neither could the Rolling Stones or the Who. Thatís not going to happen. That postwar vacuum that we tried to fill ó we did fill it for a while, but then we realized it was fizzling out. The art proposed the questions without offering solutions. So what the Who are doing at the moment ó weíve made a good album. I hope itíll do O.K. I donít need it. Nobody needs it. ...

How does nostalgia ó your own and your fansí ó affect the criteria for what makes a good Who concert in 2019? That criteria must be different than it was in 1969.
Now I perform the wonderful music that I wrote when I was young, that was so successful that people still want to hear it, and I perform it to the best of my abilities. Blah, blah, blah. What I really want now is a couple of moments on the stage in which I have the potential to wreck the whole thing. If I can do that, then Iím happy. Just for a moment.
Just around the corner and miles away...