Author Topic: Hugh Cornwell News  (Read 17394 times)

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
Re: Hugh Cornwell News
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2014, 03:55:52 PM »
Ahhh! Reunited at last:

Hugh Cornwell has announced a UK tour with Hazel O'Connor for November/December 2014. Hugh and Hazel will perform separate electric sets with Hazel on stage first followed by Hugh.

Tickets are on sale now - visit Hugh's website http://www.hughcornwell.com for dates and booking details.

Hugh is also headlining the Golden Fields Festival at Mount Pleasant Farm (near Tonbridge), with an acoustic performance on Friday 5th September 2014. Details and ticket links can be found on the festival website - http://www.goldenfieldsfestival.co.uk/
TV SM!TH - for the beer and the company! (AND great songs too!)

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2014, 10:04:02 PM »
For the north-east TUTS:

"Hugh will be signing copies of "Arnold Drive" at The Whitby Book Store (88 Church Street, Whitby) on Saturday November 1st 2014 at 1pm."

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2014, 02:06:40 AM »
Interview With Hugh Cornwell 2014 - Mystery Tour Radio Show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXUgw4-TCCg&app=desktop

A few surprises in here!

Offline GJ

• Great Explorer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2014, 01:29:28 PM »
Interview With Hugh Cornwell 2014 - Mystery Tour Radio Show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXUgw4-TCCg&app=desktop

A few surprises in here!

What do you mean- was he polite?

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2014, 02:20:26 PM »
Let it go Gareth - it's Xmas Bloody Xmas!

When you met him, you weren't impressed, when I met him, he was lovely - seems like an average guy to me!

Offline GJ

• Great Explorer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2014, 09:31:41 PM »
I think we'll let Chris have the casting vote!

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2015, 03:57:45 PM »
Just around the corner and miles away...

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile

Offline Rockula

• Global Moderator
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2015, 01:10:33 PM »
http://www.music-news.com/shownews.asp?H=The-Fall-And-Rise-Of-Hugh-Cornwell-album-+-tour&nItemID=91364

Hmm. Strange track list. Not what I'd call the best of his solo recordings. But I suppose everyone has different favourites.

And as I've got the original albums I guess I'll just make my own 'best of' instead.  ;)

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2015, 01:54:45 PM »
With a couple of tracks from each album my immediate thought was more of a "taster" than a "best of".

Offline Rockula

• Global Moderator
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2015, 04:29:37 PM »
With a couple of tracks from each album my immediate thought was more of a "taster" than a "best of".

Yes. And not even the tastiest bits. Not to my ears anyway.

I'd have had at least one track from 'Nosferatu' (1979), probably the title track and 'White Room' (although it's a cover) and maybe 'Wrong Way Round' (featuring Ian Dury). But as the album was made with Robert Williams and Cornwell doesn't consider it a solo album maybe that's why it was ignored.

Then there's the 'One In A Million' single from 1985 which sounds like it should have been on 'Feline' anyway. Maybe because it sounds to much like what The Stranglers were doing at the time is the reason it was ignored.

I'd have had 'Rough With The Smooth' (the theme from the TV series 'King & Castle) the single he did with Nigel Planer in 1986. Although Nigel's singing the main vocal thier voices are so similar I don't thing anyone would notice.

I'd have included 'Facts And Figures' from the 'When The Wind Blows' soundtrack (1987).

Then from 'Wolf' (1988) I'd definitely have included 'Another Kind Of Love' and 'Never Never' instead of 'Break Of Dawn' or 'Getting Involved'.

Then 'Sweet Sister' by CCW (featuring Hugh Cornwall, Roger Cook & Andy West in 1992).

From 'Wired' (1993) I'd have to agree with picking 'Hot Cat On A Tin Roof' but I'd have gone for 'Mr. Insignificant' and/or 'Stone Free' rather than 'First Bus To Babylon'.

From 'Guilty' (1997) I agree with 'One Burning Desire' and 'Long Dead Train'. But I'd have had 'Five Miles High' as well.

From 'Hi-Fi' (2000) I agree with 'Leave Me Alone' and 'Lay Back On Me Pal' but I'd add 'All The Colours Of The Rainbow' and 'Miss TeazyWeazy'. Both my picks are a very psychedelic.

From 'Footprints In The Desert' (2002) I'd take his version of Buffalo Springfield's 'For What It's Worth'. That's all. Not impressed with that album on the whole.

From 'Beyond Elysian Fields' (2004) I'd say 'Cadiz' and 'Under Her Spell' are good choices.

From 'Hooverdam' (2008) 'Beat Of My Heart' is good. But I've never liked 'Please Don't Put Me On A Slow Boat To Trowbridge'. I'd have 'Going To The City' and the Hendrix sounding 'Wrong Side Of The Tracks'.

And why nothing from 'Totem And Taboo' (2012). Too recent? I'd definitely include 'In The Dead Of The Night' and 'I Want One Of Those'.

And the 'bonus' track of 'Live It And Breathe It'? It's o.k. But it's been available as a pretty decent 'live' recording already. The recorded version doesn't really add much.

So, my 'Hugh Cornwell Best Of' would be...

CD 1
1. Nosferatu (with Robert Williams).
2. White Room (with Robert Williams).
3. Wrong Way Round (with Robert Williams).
4. One In A Million.
5. Rough With The Smooth (with Nigel Planer).
6 Facts And Figures.
7. Another Kind Of Love.
8. Never Never.
9. Sweet Sister (with CCW).
10. Hot Cat On A Tin Roof.
12. Mr. Insignificant.
13. Stone Free.
14. One Burning Desire.
15. Long Dead Train.

CD 2
16. Five Miles High.
17. Leave Me Alone.
18. Lay Back On Me Pal.
19. All The Colours Of The Rainbow.
20. Miss TeazyWeazy.
21. For What It's Worth (Buffalo Springfield cover).
22. Cadiz.
24. Under Her Spell.
25. Beat Of My Heart.
26. Going To The City.
27. Wrong Side Of The Tracks.
28 In The Dead Of The Night.
29. I Want One Of Those.
30. Live It And Breathe It (Bonus Track).

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2015, 04:12:33 PM »
Bloody Hell Ken - you've given it far more thought than he did!

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2015, 10:03:38 AM »

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2015, 10:21:35 AM »
Finally I got to see Hugh Cornwell live and it was a very enjoyable experience!

"Franz. k" is a nice venue in Reutlingen (I've been to it a few times, it's a former French cinema and not a bad room for gigs). It's not very full for this show (I wish more people would've come), but at least it looks like an "audience" when the trio gets onstage at 8.30 to play the first set (Rise & Fall) consisting of songs from the "best of" album. I only have some of his solo albums on old tapes (a mate has many of his records, but he's away on holiday and can't see the show...), which I hadn't listened to in a long time, but I do recognise most of the songs, surprising to myself!  :)
I stand quite close to the stage, the sound is remarkably good. It's nice to see and hear Hugh play his guitar. His voice sounds like it's always sounded! His band (Caroline Campbell on bass and Chris Bell on drums, I think) is really good.
Set was something like this (only one song I didn't recognise, but with help from the setlist on stage I found it out):
One Burning Desire, Leave Me Alone, Hot Cat On A Tin Roof, Break Of Dawn, Getting Involved, Under Her Spell, Beat Of My Heart, Lay Back On Me Pal, First Bus To Babylon, Slow Boat To Trowbridge, Long Dead Train.

After a break, they perform the 2nd set (Death by Stranglers) at 9.30, I can't give a full setlist but songs included were:
Nice & Sleazy, Skin Deep, Duchess, Tank, Nuclear Device, Goodbye Toulouse, Straighten Out, Golden Brown, Always The Sun, Hangin’ Around, Get A Grip On Yourself, I Want One Of Those (from his latest album) & No More Heroes.
Got to admit they sounded pretty good and it was nice to hear them performed from the original singer & guitarist! Of course the keyboard was "missing" in some songs (especially Golden Brown & Grip), but no big problem (one guy had to mention this to Hugh afterwards, he just said "you can imagine it")... For me, it was enough that the guitar/voice on the old songs is there and Caroline plays a mean bass and the drummer performs them fine too!  :)

To my surprise, Hugh announces that he will sell cds & books, so I wait around a bit and then join the queue, it takes ages, because some people tell old stories from '78 and so on (Hugh listens with patience, mentioning "I don't remember this, I can't remember what we did last week!") and get old records signed. Finally I get to ask about the book (had indeed forgotten about this, even though it's been mentioned in this thread!) and buy it plus the "best of" cd, he gives me "Totem & Taboo" demo cd for free. He reminds me that he can sign them all, which is nice of him. (Guess I will give the demo cd to my mate, he will be pleased about such a gift! - After I listened a few times of course...)
The couple behind me get "told off" by Hugh because the girl filmed with her laptop ("I'm selling merch, why are you filming? You could at least ask me before..." etc.), but I don't mind, I get all my stuff signed, Hugh tells me it's been nice to meet me and I say bye and make my way out.  8)
In the café next door is some kind of "disco" and I hear a Violent Femmes song before I disappear into the night...
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 10:28:24 AM by Uli »

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2015, 08:26:17 PM »
Glad you finally got to see him Uli. I also thought that he was lovely when I met him - we even had time to chat about the first "copyrighted organism" news that broke out that day. I think he enjoyed being able to talk about biology again for a change. Mind you, we also discussed our shared love of Fender Telecasters.

Unfortunately, Gareth got the same treatment as the couple behind you!