Author Topic: 999  (Read 3472 times)

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • True  Results - People Change for Good
    • Email
« on: November 30, 2002, 02:14:06 PM »
For my 999th post I thought it appropriate to tie in the 999 posts.

The first famous gig I ever reviewed featured 999 as headliners 8O of the Ashton-Under-Lyne gig at the Witchwood. Note that it was so early on that this gig review hadn't even got a title.

Ashton-Under-Lyne, 20 Sep 2001, Thursday
Review written by: TJ

As promised, here's a review of the Ashton gig on the 20th September at the Witchwood.
Arrived early. Timed it well 'cos my old mate Nev was just getting them in. Nev had gone to see The Adverts with me twice back in '77 and he was with me when I first saw TV again in December '98.
Ordered an excellent pint of Nottingham's finest; Castle Rock.

I thought I recognised one burly punk bloke in the bar, but, couldn't figure out where from. We decided to leave the bar and go through into the concert room after an old bloke had nearly puked on my jacket - at last after all these years someone actually puking at a punk gig!!

999 where much more popular than I realised - there were dozens of punters, many with 999 regalia.

We got a seat right at the front. The support band were a Punk/New Wave tribute band called the Geckos. They where far more New Wave than Punk and played such fringe Punk music as XTC and Elvis Costello. To cry's of "play something Punk" and a wave of fleeing mohicans, they responded with an untimely Tommy Gun. The singer was okay and the bassist was a laugh, but, a guitarist chewing gum and wearing an Addidas shirt just doesn't seen very Punk to me.

My concern went towards TV - how would this crowd respond to the likes of the classic "Soon As I Found It I Lost It"?

TV came over and we chatted about the Sheffield gig and the racisism being stired up in the hatepapers. He asked about the gang (Smit & Henry - they will be catching up with TV in Cambridge - see ya their lads).

Then it was TV's turn on stage and he just went for it - bursting into Only One Flavour. With comments like I'd like to play this one before we all die - he dived into his past and pulled out New Church. This was followed by an appropriate request for The Future Used To Be Better - TV blistered through it. After a much too short 30 minutes TV finished off with his sung-a-long hit, GG's Eyes. The applause brought him back for a final rapid fire version of One Chord Wonders.

The first time I'd seen TV in a Punk setting since '77 and he produced the goods - nice one Teev!

999 finished off a good night and I polished off another few pints of Castle Rock (so the second half of the night was a little blury). "Chicane Destination" was the highlight of their set for me. The guy in the bar turned out to be 999's bass player for the gig, but, that didn't explain where I knew him from, 'cos I unfortunately missed 999 in '77.

I remember Nick Cash (the vocalsit) shouting out something about "they hit me and they hit TV Smith" (I think this was connected to that late '76/early '77 fun pass time of Punk bashing!).

Nick thanked the bass player from the Lurkers and it all began to fit into place. The Lurkers bass player is the guy who is interviewed at length (in his mums front room whilst watching Top Of The Pops) in the "Punk in London" German video I got from Chris Savage. I went over to have a chat with him and see if I was right. yep it was him - he seemed like a bloody good bloke as well!

The mystery solved I said my farewells and headed back to the local Hotel for a kip.

This was the second gig in TV's biggest British tour for years - miss it at your peril!

Tj

Alan

Post subject: Cheap

The unrecorded songs of Cheap, '200 Blows' and 'Cheap', are quite interesting to me. They hint at a possible rock'n'roll / poppy punk direction, which, I guess, TV and the band decided wasn't for them. These songs are almost 999 / Boys like.

Alan

Tj

Post subject: 200 Cheap Blows

I love 200 Blows Alan! I remember TV played this at a recent European gig  

Cheap is a great larf! It explains exactly what the band is about and why they are called... CHEAP!

... and now it is also begining to grow on me.

I like Cheap the most I've ever liked them at the moment.

Have you heard their awesome version of Lies live?

Tj

Post subject: Sweet + 999 = Cheap

Err do these two quotes add up to Sweet sounding like Cheap?  

"Sweet = 999?

Sweet were wiped out by Punk...

...but have you noticed how often 999 sound like Sweet?"

...and...

"The unrecorded songs of Cheap, '200 Blows' and 'Cheap', are quite interesting to me. They hint at a possible rock'n'roll / poppy punk direction, which, I guess, TV and the band decided wasn't for them. These songs are almost 999 / Boys like.  Alan

Uli

Post subject: We got it!

Now we finally know: Cheap sounds like The Sweet  
TV will be proud!  

When I first heard Cheap, to be honest, they reminded me of the only other TV band I knew at the time: The Adverts...
Hmmmm...  

jock

Post subject:  

I like SWeet , there best Off CD is great , Blockbuster is an all time favourite ..... Ballroom Blitz is a classic , Great band.

jock

So TV Smith's Cheap sounded like 999 when singing 200 Blows and 999 sound like Sweet...

...are you keeping up TUTS :?:  :roll:

Here's more on the 200 Blows  :arrow: 999  :arrow: Cheap sound-a-like...

Tim B. Wolf

You can howl at the moon...

They say you're safe, you say that's good,
They may be wolves - Red Riding Hood.

Mrs Fleagle

Great thought Mr Wolf. Or is it that TV the Lyric Genius has reached perfection  

I have to ask where does the Red Riding Hood thing come from, I like that  

Mrs Fleagle  

Klaus

Mrs Fleagle wrote:
I have to ask where does the Red Riding Hood thing come from, I like that    

200 Blows - unreleased Cheap (No. 131 in the archives)

Mrs Fleagle

Klaus

Thankyou for that, have to say I have never heard it, has TV ever played it at a gig, is it worth shouting for or will it be a definate no  

Mrs Fleagle  

Klaus

Mrs Fleagle,

As far as I know, TV played it only once solo, so far.
Last year in Germany. (I have been there  )
Definitely, worth a try shouting for it.

Klaus

Tj

Yeah! fleagles - you can shout for 200 Blows at Canterbury along with my request for a Cast Of Thousands...

...Because I won't be their...Bwwwwaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!    

Tj

My two requests for Canterbury were going to be:

1. 200 Blows: An ace unrecognised classic. Blows reminds me of the 200 things that have got in the way of me making the Canterbury gig. See my 999 topic for more on 200 Blows.  
2. Cast Of Thousands

Da da 999 connections  8O  :roll: between 999  :arrow: TV smith  pulled together on my 999th post. :D  8)

8)
"Deep inside you know it's right to lean towards the light"

Tj Sundown
Leaning towards the Starlight

Offline Mrs Fleagle

• Cast Of Thousands
    • MSN Messenger - aliensathome@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2002, 02:34:12 PM »
TJ

'300 Blows' and 'Cheap'
 :?

&

See my 999 topic for more on 200 Blows

Is one to asume that the market for blows at the moment is a bit volatile, fluctuating between 300 & 200  :?:   :lol:  

Obviously Cast's are remaining pretty stable at Thousands

Mrs Fleagle  :roll:
e have guided missiles and misguided men.

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
Mid Creation
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2002, 02:37:28 PM »
Ah ha! very clever and observant Mrs F.

I shall of course reduce my Blows by 100 straight away.

Unfortunately you have caught me in my mid post creation and editing phase :wink:

Have a great time tonight - I will be their in spirit 8)

8)

Tj Sundown

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
300 Blows?
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2002, 02:58:25 PM »
Phew! I've edited the 999 post Mrs F.

It was actually Alan that called 200 Blows, 300 Blows  8O Sorry m8 :wink: but at least he was right that it does sound like 999.

Great song...

Maybe the Fleagles will actually hear it tonight.

8)

Tj Sundown

Offline fleagle

• Cast Of Thousands
  • you will never know who you really are
    • MSN Messenger - info@stagefrite.co.uk
    • View Profile
    • stagefrite - keepin it live!
    • Email
and we did
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2002, 08:55:47 PM »
Tj or should we say tim b? 8O

we did

tra la la ...la la la la (the fleagle happy song!)

thin green line was very sad with only me shouting 'you first!'

lion and lamb - the mr fleagle favourite - was superb ...drooling like a diamond in a bowl of porridge

missed the TUTS!!

fleags
I got some presents for you boo-boo

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
MISS!
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2002, 11:00:18 PM »
missed the TUTS!!

Not as much as I missed being their m8 - what a shite weekend.

8)

Tj Sundown