Author Topic: Rat Scabies solo album PHD  (Read 4849 times)

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
Re: Rat Scabies solo album PHD
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2018, 12:39:40 PM »
https://mongolcult.wordpress.com/2018/06/14/chewing-on-you-an-interview-with-rat-scabies/
You know when youíve just got a lot of stuff going on around you that you donít really like very much and none of it is good news? But there was always one thing I could do which was mess around with music and try and make up a tune and feel good about that. So thatís where that title came from. I also just kinda liked the idea of a PHD, the supposition that youíre talking about your education and your education consists of those three things. *laughs*

I spend quite a lot of time in Phoenix Arizona and Area 51 isnít far away and you have those big clear desert skies. Nearly everyone that lives in that town sees stuff that doesnít really have an explanation. There was one time I sitting in the living room of the place I was stayingÖ..you see the trouble with this stuff is if you tell people what happened it sounds like youíre a fucking nutcase *laughs*   But I swear I was with the guitar player of the band I was staying with at the time and this small black sphere the size of a squash ball floated down the stairs at quite high speed, buzzed around the kitchen damaging everything and then back out up the stairs and away again at high speed. It was one of those things that was such an outrageous event that we were both pretty gobsmacked about whether it had even happened. If it hadnít been for the fact that the two us had seen the same thing youíd put it down to some kind of marijuana induced incident *laughs* So that was one of the strangest things that happened. I never reported it or anything like that but out thereís a lot of stuff buzzing around out there out in the sky thatís a mystery.

So I had this whole broad left field influence when I was growing up and a part of that was things like Atlantis and the Holy Grail and all these legends. Where do they come from? What is it based on and is there any element of truth in any of these stories? And if there is, can you find it? So thatís kind of how I am with the whole thing, I find it quite fascinating and Iíve witnessed enough strange small events that it makes you go Ďwell that was weird, I think thereís something going on here that I donít really have a name for or an understanding ofí but at the same time Iím very rational about it. I donít Ďbelieveí in things like ghosts or fairies but I like to observe it and see if itís proven to me.

I remember Rat telling me the Arizona story and closed with "you don't believe me, huh?".  ;D
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 12:46:55 PM by Uli »
Just around the corner and miles away...

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2018, 06:07:27 PM »
Lengthy interview with Rat. Not sure if all the facts are 100% ("abandoned as a baby"? - never heard that one), but it's a fun read.
https://pleasekillme.com/rat-scabies/
PKM: Have you ever met Ginger Baker?

Rat Scabies: Actually, a friend of mine is his roadie and I fill in when he canít do it. So I set up Gingerís drums regularly. Itís great because Iíve been watching Ginger play since I was fifteen.

PKM: So you obviously get on with him well.

Rat Scabies: No. I donít think anyone does really. Haha! I was interviewed in his documentary and they cut me from it because I was the only one to say nice things. So I thought it was a bit unfair to him. The thing that Ginger did was bring African music to Europe. He went to Africa just to learn about African rhythms and how that music worked. He was the first person to do that in the early 1970ís. He nearly got shot for supporting a revolution and nobody is interested in that, they are only interested in him being a cunt.

That part was quite interesting as I'd watched that doc a while ago... had no idea Rat could've been in it.

Here's a review of the PATM gig last week:
https://louderthanwar.com/professor-madman-london-100-club-live-review/
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 06:12:42 PM by Uli »

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 08:53:58 AM by Uli »

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2018, 09:54:35 AM »
I remember this was up on his myspace ten years ago or so...

https://youtu.be/Xqj8wz2Mkuc

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2020, 12:09:46 PM »
TV SM!TH - for the beer and the company! (AND great songs too!)