Author Topic: Chrissie Hynde Interview & Pretenders live  (Read 17147 times)

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
Re: Chrissie Hynde Interview & Pretenders live
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2009, 05:00:23 PM »
Very impressive and much more detailled than expected. Wow.  :)
I just edited a bit of it (song title/cover info added).

During his act, someone in the audience called "Hey, you sound like Donovan” and Gus called back "You sound like a guy in the audience".

Very funny indeed.  :D

Wish I could read the second part now, but so what; I have to leave soon as well.
Looking forward to part 2.  8)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 05:03:17 PM by Uli »
Just around the corner and miles away...

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile

Offline Chrissie Stuttgart

• Driver Or Passenger?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2009, 09:06:36 PM »
And here's the continuation:

The Pretemders started exactly at 9.00 PM with their show. First I was a little bit confused because the contrast to Gus Black seemed quite large to me, but after short time I was enthusiastic about this kind of music and style. Chrissie Hynde IS the Pretenders, you cam say! But also the four other members of the group were excellent and gifted musicians. (I didn’t know anyone of them before, but I was convinced immediately. As far as I am informed, the Pretenders had several personal changes during their about thirty year old history. The actual instrumentalists except the drummer Martin Chambers never had toured with Chrissie before and it is the first tour of the Pretenders for a long time. Last year in October they published their new album “Break up the Concrete” and so of course they played songs of this album at this evening too (mixed with older songs).
The musicians were: Chrissie Hynde (leading vocalist and guitar), Martin Chambers (drums) (on the the new, there was another drummer engaged: Jim Keltner), James Walbourne (Guitar), Nick Wilkinson (bass) and Eric Heywood (pedal steel).
Chrissie Hynde – also she is an outstanding and charismatic singer – participated in the guitar-characterized sound of this group by playing guitar in nearly all songs (except two or three) of this evening. But – you can believe me – she didn’t play guitar because she doesn’t know what to do with her hands while singing! I think it belongs to her selfcomprehension to be a musician who sings and plays simultaneously. (This is what Captain Sensible told about her in an interview of the BBC as I remember: that from the beginning ‘she wanted to be a guitarist-player’).
I never saw Chrissie Hynde live before, but I ‘knew’ her from the mentioned interview of the BBC (from 2006) about the early history of the ‘Damned’ and of the documentary film “Punk Attitude” by Don Letts. Chrissie Hynde had been involved in the early history of the Damned because she lived in London at this time and worked in the shop of Malcolm McLaren and Vivienne Westwood and Malcolm engaged her for his project ‘Masters of the Backside’, where also Captain Sensible, Rat Scabies, Dave Vanian and another “Dave” were engaged for by McLaren. Later the others separated for the ‘Damned’ and Chrissie Hynde founded the ‘Pretenders’. This is why I was courious about this singer and her band and I was pleased when I heard a few weeks ago that the Pretenders would come to Stuttgart.
Chrissie Hynde (and the band) exceeded al my expectations I had before concerning power, musicality and beauty of the songs. Apart from this I really was surprised what a good-looking woman she is (aged 57): tall and slim and athletic. She wore a narrow jeans, a narrow black-white-striped waistcoat, a necktie. A white jacket she wore at the beginning she took off after the first song.
But also the other musicians made a very vital impression on me (in contrast of Gus Black…)! Martin Chambers often threw one of his drum sticks (or both) high in the air at the end of songs and caught it with the same hand exactly with the final chord!
Also the plying of the young guitarist James Walbourne I liked very much. He had virtuous solos in several pieces (for example in 'Thumbelina').

And here are the songs they played (as far as I could find out the titles):

1. Boots of chinese plastic
2. Don’t cut your hair
3. Message of love
4. Talk of the town
5. Loves a mystery
6. Don’t lose faith in me
7. Kid
8. Back on the chain gang
9. The Nothing Maker
10. Rosalee
11. I go to sleep
12. Stop your sobbing (a song by Ray Davies)
13. Don’t get me wrong
14. Tequila
15. Night in my veins
16. Brass in pocket (here C.H. didn’t play the guitar)
17. Thumbelina
18. Break up the concrete (here C.H. didn’t play the guitar but rattle.E.H. played guitar)
19. Middle of the road
20. I’ll stand by you (here C.H. didn’t play the guitar)
and additionally:
21. Cuban slide
22. Up the neck

It is difficult to assign the Pretenders (their sound, their musical style) to a clear and defined musical style. I would say it is a mixture and combination of elements of Rock’n' Roll, Country, Blues and Punk music. In different variation and intensity.
The sound of the pedal steel which Eric Heywood played in nearly every peace, makes them sound ‘Country’. But the songs haven’t the comfortableness (and melancholy?) which  I associate with ‘Country’. They also have elements of (Rhythm and) Blues (for example in ‘Don’t lose faith in me’, ‘Rosalee’, ‘Middle of the road’), but it is no distinct Blues. There are also Rock’n' Rolle styled songs (for example ‘Don’t get me wrong’ and 'Cuban slide'). Of course it is no real Punk, but I think an element of Punk – as far as I can assess – is the fact that most of the songs start relative directly with the songtext and all instruments (in a powerful way); there are no extensive instrumental introductions or other things that turn one’s attention away from the text (this is my impression). There are no extensive repetitions of sections of the text; he is sung relatively straight and fast (and much text in short time). Chrissie’s voice pleases me very much. An Alto Voice, I would say. She has a vibrato in her voice, but not too much (in some songs she uses more vibrato as in other songs, for example in number 14, where it is suitable, I think).

The official programme ended at 22.20 PM, then they played two additional songs, and on 22.30 PM it was final cut.

The gig had pleased me very much. But I must also confess, that my musical impressions of this evening where al little bit overlapped by personal feelings and impressions, so I couldn’t judge this gig – especially the second part - objectively enough, I suppose.

After short time people left the hall. Uli and I weren’t in hurry, but we where literally sweeped out!  >:(At the entrance there were some people who distributed some books among the audience who went out. I suppose that it was a kind of religious group (?) or something. I successfully could shirk taking one, because Uli had already took one. (So I don’t know what it is about  ;)).
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 09:19:46 PM by Chrissie Stuttgart »

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2009, 09:43:29 PM »
Very well done (again)!  :)

I liked the fact that both Ray Davies songs "I go to sleep" and "Stop your sobbing" were played one after the other (and it links this nicely to the Kinks/R.Davies thread here in World Chat).

At one point they tried the intro to a song and Chrissie Hynde said "I can't fucking play", but then it worked.
Martin Chamber is a great drummer really, liked his playing and his "show". New members were also good. Chrissie H. of course still has a fantastic voice.

Btw, I agree with above linked German reviews, they talk about "Bo Diddley influence" in some songs: I thought the same at the gig!

Good thing they played quite many songs off the new album (it's not just a "Hits" tour), C.H. told us to steal or download it...  ;D

Gus Black was a good support act. Not sure if I'll ever buy his albums, but I'd watch him again if he's anywhere close.  8)

But I must also confess, that my musical impressions of this evening where al little bit overlapped by personal feelings and impressions...

Nothing to do with me, I'm sure...  ;)   :-*

Oh, the book someone gave me afterwards - it's not as bad as I feared. Not very good, I admit, but at least they don't "damn" rock music as a whole. They just write about bands and their music (well, a few facts are wrong, but nothing too serious) and mostly about band members/musicians who died (Morrison, Hendrix, Elvis, Ian Curtis, Ramones and many more). Every chapter comes to the same conclusion (that music isn't enough, you need faith in Jesus etc. etc.). Strange book somehow. But at least they don't claim it's all "satanic" etc., which is what I first expected when I was handed the book.  :-\
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 09:48:51 PM by Uli »

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2009, 09:11:14 AM »
I've got far more faith in Chrissie's gig reviews! Many thanks for this Chrissie - a great read. I think I will catch them if they tour again here.

Thanks again to you and Uli for the info!
TV SM!TH - for the beer and the company! (AND great songs too!)

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2009, 04:00:38 PM »
Thanks, a good read. I like this sentence:
"The crowd think we're there to entertain them, but often it's the other way round."  :D

Offline jock

• Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mohawks.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2009, 03:17:06 PM »
Cheers for the reveiw Chrissie ---   8)

TJ LOOK OUT !    ;) :D
Bloody hell !

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2015, 12:24:55 PM »

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2015, 04:53:27 PM »
Oh dear...

http://www.nme.com/news/chrissie-hynde/87950

Well I understand how she got to this view back then, but that she kept it till now...  ::)

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2020, 01:18:49 PM »