Author Topic: "Leigh! Leigh! Leigh!" our Earthbound Guitar Hero  (Read 17980 times)

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • True  Results - People Change for Good
    • Email
"Leigh! Leigh! Leigh!" our Earthbound Guitar Hero
« on: September 19, 2009, 05:39:02 PM »
So who is TV's latest axeman?

And has he played with TV before The Load of Hay and Bull gigs earlier this year?

Leigh Heggarty loves guitars.

The Price is Cheap.

Here's Leigh's blogs...

http://leighheggarty.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2009-01-01T00%3A00%3A00Z&updated-max=2010-01-01T00%3A00%3A00Z&max-results=50

« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 11:59:53 AM by Tj »
"Deep inside you know it's right to lean towards the light"

Tj Sundown
Leaning towards the Starlight

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Leigh Heggerty is TV Smith's new cheap price "Guitar Hero"
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2009, 05:44:48 PM »
Leigh's '79 punk band was The Society...

http://www.boredteenagers.co.uk/society.htm

Leigh's key band where The Price from the late 80's and early 90's.

Here's Leigh back then...

Tj Sundown

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2009, 05:49:24 PM »
Here's some info for Fred and Gabumon...

Cheap played with TV Smith's Cheap on 31st March 1990 at West Drayton Anglers Retreat and on 22nd December at Uxbridge Fottball Club.

Leigh and The Price live in 1990...

More info on The Price...

http://www.theprice.piczo.com/?cr=2

Tj Sundown

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2009, 05:54:01 PM »
The Price reformed in 2003 and TV played with them at The Load of Hay gig on 22nd March 2009. Before teaming up for his first set with Leigh since they were very cheap together.

Leigh takes over vocals at a recent The Price gig...

Leigh ready for the axe to fall...

Leigh played guitar for Cheap back in 1990 and now he's back live with TV for the third time this year on the Goldblade tour.

See you in Cambridge by hook or by crook TUTS.

Tj Sundown

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2009, 06:04:21 PM »
This is Leigh's review of the gig where I met Leigh and Lio. It was Leigh's and TV's reunion gig.  ;)

Sunday 22nd - T.V Smith and The Price in Uxbridge

This run of gigs ends locally at The Load of Hay in Uxbridge. It's been 15 months since The Price last played together- I gave them all a year off for bad behaviour!- so we were long overdue to get together again, and there's no better occasion to do so as it's East's birthday weekend as well as being a chance to play once again with the God-like genius that is T.V. Smith. It seems that being the person that books the acts at a venue has it's advantages...

Since we're playing acoustically we all arranged to meet up at East's flat at 4 p.m. for a rehearsal. Around 4.20 Huggy calls to say he's on his way; at 4.25 Paul's on the phone with the words 'I give up'- he's lost, but just around the corner, him and Huggy arrive together and Malcolm with his wife Jane are not far behind. After much hello-ing and catching up on things we start putting a set together- Paul's got a bewildering array of percussive devices, Huggy's using East's acoustic bass and Malcolm's in good voice. East has a couple of requests- one of our latter-day songs 'Matter Of Time', and the Mega City Four song '21 Again' which we played at our 2007 gigs as a tribute to the then-recently departed MC4 singer Wiz- he hands around the birthday cake as we run through them.
There's just time to go to The Pipemakers Arms for a Chinese meal before we head off to the venue. I set the P.A. up (maybe booking the acts has it's disadvantages too!) and say hello to T.V. who does a quick soundcheck as the audience starts arriving. We get set up, check everything works and start saying hello to people who we've not seen for far to long- The Uxbridge Lads, Eddie our old manager, Pete Kennedy who drummed for us when Mick left the band, Andy Knight... suddenly the place is packed and we're playing 'Standing In Your Way' which ends with tumultuous applause and it's going to be a great night. 'Crazy Times' sounds like a better song than I for one remember it being, and by 'She Belongs To Everyone' (written in the very last days of the band and not played live at the time) I'm thinking to myself that we really should do this more often...
Then, suddenly, everything stops. We're playing too loud, and we've blown the volume restriction device, when it comes back on we turn it down (a bit!) and restart the song. The sound goes off again during our last song 'So What About Love?' not least because the audience was singing along so loudly; we encore with The Buzzcocks classic 'Ever Fallen In Love' (or as East put it, 'Ever Fallen Down Drunk') which we hadn't rehearsed and probably last played nearly 20 years ago. And that's it- the show's over all too soon, a sure sign of a good gig- and this was definitely a good gig.
With all our gear shifted away from the 'stage' (i.e. the bit of floor where the acts play) I help T.V. get his guitar and microphone set up. As we're talking we say how we should have rehearsed something together, and he reminds me that I helped Cheap out once when their guitarist Mik was absent and made a good job of 'Third Term' that night, and we could always play 'Gary Gilmore's Eyes'... as he says it I'm thinking 'am I really going to play 'Gary Gilmore's Eyes' with T.V. Smith? Could that really happen to little old me?'
It takes a couple of numbers for me to get the balance between the guitar and vocals right- T.V. likes the guitar to be as loud as his voice, but still wants the words to come through- by 'The Newshound' it's all sounding good and going down well. I'm not sure that there's such a thing as a bad T.V. Smith gig but this was a classic, with songs from his latest album 'In The Arms Of My Enemy' next to old Adverts numbers and everything inbetween. Halfway through I bump into East just as T.V. starts 'My String Will Snap', we curtail our conversation as East heads back down the front... then I hear my name mentioned, I fight my way through to my guitar, say something like 'play another song Tim' as I try in vain to get the strap to stay on, he says 'I thought you were a professional' much to the audience's amusment. He plays 'Expensive Being Poor' and I've finally got the bloody thing to stay on the guitar but now I can't find where I've left my lead... he introduces 'Third Term' and I'm sure the chords didn't go like that last time I played it with him- then again that was 2 decades ago and a lot's happened since then. He says something like 'follow me for the intro' and starts 'Gary Gilmore's Eyes'- and there I am, playing one of the greatest punk rock songs of them all with the man that wrote it. I've only mentioned it a couple of hundred times since (!) but I'll never be able to say just how much it means to me to have done it. An unforgettable evening.

So there you have it- as I say, a very busy 5 days. Reading back through what I've just written here makes me realise how very lucky I am to do what I do, which is why I don't take any of it for granted- and I never will.

God-like genius. Like it! 8)

What a great night. Even a flower flowing Fish couldn't spoil it.  ;) ;D ;D ;D :D :D :D

He says something like 'follow me for the intro' and starts 'Gary Gilmore's Eyes'- and there I am, playing one of the greatest punk rock songs of them all with the man that wrote it. I've only mentioned it a couple of hundred times since!

« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 06:08:53 PM by Tj »

Tj Sundown

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2009, 06:15:24 PM »
Another Leigh and TV live review from Leigh...

Friday, May 29, 2009
Bombsite boys
Here, in suitably punky red felt pen, is the setlist from my part of last night's gig with T.V. Smith. I don't think I'm being too presumptive when I say that it all went well... actually it went brilliantly, even better than I'd hoped for. T.V. did several songs solo (from memory- 'Ghost Of Westminster', 'Not In My Name', 'Bring The Bull Down', 'No Time To Be 21', 'Bored Teenagers', 'Generation Y' and 'Together Alone') before calling your humble narrator to the stage for a breathless 40 minutes or so of twin acoustic guitar thrashing. Both East and myself agreed that The Bull & Gate was smaller than we remember it (or maybe we've got bigger?!?) but it's still a classic pub gig venue, and speaking personally it was great to play there for the first time in many a long year. They've still got the same people behind the bar! They must have been there over 20 years! If I tell you that my guitar strap and indeed my guitar are still drying out then get an idea of what kind of night it was; I've rambled on in these hallowed pages about T.V.'s songwriting genius before on many occasions but to play these songs with him- well, words (almost) fail me. A classic gig.

Wednesday, May 27, 2009
Thumb's up!
I'm rehearsing with T.V. Smith today!

I'm joining him at The Bull and Gate in Kentish Town (my first performance there this century!) tomorrow evening; I played 'Third Term' and 'Gary Gilmore's Eyes' with him at his gig with The Price at The Load of Hay back in March and he suggested that we get a few more songs together- so we are! It should be a great night

Tj Sundown

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2009, 06:16:35 PM »
THIRD TIME anyone? ;)

Fri 09 Oct 09 LONDON - Dirty Water Club 
With Goldblade. TV plays with special guest Leigh Heggarty.
Sat 10 Oct 09 CAMBRIDGE - Man On The Moon 
With Goldblade. TV plays with special guest Leigh Heggarty.

Thu 15 Oct 09 MINEHEAD - Hobby Horse 
Solo. Esplanade, Minehead, SomersetTA24 5QP. Tel. 01643 702274. Tickets 6, available from the venue, West Quay Records, Bridgewater and Martian Records, Taunton.
Fri 16 Oct 09 WESTON-SUPER-MARE - Hobbits 
With Goldblade.
Sat 17 Oct 09 MANCHESTER - Academy 3 
With Goldblade.
Fri 23 Oct 09 NOTTINGHAM - Seven 
With Goldblade.

I'm well up for the fourth time.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 06:18:52 PM by Tj »

Tj Sundown

Offline Alan

• The Newshound
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2009, 06:18:53 PM »
Not sure I can make Cambridge... definitely up for Nottingham, but no Leigh then I see....

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2009, 09:50:42 AM »
Don't worry Alan. TV, Leigh and Goldblade can't make it either on the 10th Ocotober, so you won't miss out.

You might guess that the switch was done by Goldblade.

Bit of a shame after all I did to put Leigh on the TV map. He's a great guy. :D

At least there is the London gig and EKTaff might go to Brighton if TV and Leigh are playing with Goldblade their on the 10th.

Tj Sundown

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Leigh Heggarty is TV Smith's new cheap price "Guitar Hero"
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2009, 12:45:11 PM »
Someone's just sent me an email about this theme, this is part of his response...

Bloomin' heck- I should hire you are a PR man!!

The Price played quite a few shows with Cheap- somewhere I've got some recordings which it'd be interesting to hear now.

Leigh Heggerty

He'd love to do the play a show with Goldblade and TV in October that I can get to see.  :D

Not sure how Leigh found out about this theme?  :-[  ;)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 04:08:26 PM by Tj »

Tj Sundown

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Leigh Heggarty is TV Smith's new cheap price "Guitar Hero"
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2009, 02:30:06 PM »
Welcome to EARTHBOUND Leigh.  :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uI13CswftjU

Tj Sundown

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
April. :o

It won't be long now Leigh. :D

"I know I'm EARTHBOUND" 8)

Tj Sundown

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
It's hard to put into words how I or indeed Shirley felt about our time with the TUTS - suffice to say it's one of the best weekend's work I've ever been part of, although I'm not sure 'work' is the right word to describe something that was so much fun. As we arrived home at nearly 5 a.m. we were both very tired but had just been part of something that we wouldn't have missed for the world.

Leigh Heggarty May 2010

Here's Leigh's full triple Earthbound gigs blog... http://leighheggarty.blogspot.com/

Tj Sundown

Offline Klaus

• Administrator
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • ICQ Messenger - 47852913
    • View Profile
    • http://www.tvsmith.com
    • Email
Re: "Leigh! Leigh! Leigh!" our Earthbound Guitar Hero
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2010, 02:05:03 PM »
Great read! :-)
"And if our castle should come tumbling down - We'll fix it up again somehow
We can do anything - That' the wonderful thing...

Carrying On"

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: "Leigh! Leigh! Leigh!" our Earthbound Guitar Hero
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2010, 08:17:41 PM »
So who is the TUT of the year?

I was at an Attila gig sometime in the late '80's, I think at the Mean Fiddler Acoustic Room although I could be wrong there; Attila said something like 'I'm going to play a song by one of Britain's greatest ever songwriters' before performing 'The Suit' on mandola. One of the people I was with asked who T.V. Smith was - I turned to them and said words to the effect of 'you must heard of T.V. Smith, he was in The Adverts, a great songwriter, a genius in fact...' and as I said it I realised he and Gaye Advert were standing right behind us. I think I managed an awkward hello and then said 'well - you are!'

He doesn't remember it happening, but I do. I've just played 3 gigs with him, and as I say, I'll remember them too.

Super Leigh

My votes for Super Leigh!  :D

Here's his latest blog on the adventures of TV & Leigh...

T.V. and myself soundchecked with 'Third Term' (T.V. noted that he was plugged into P.A. channels 2 and 6 - 'half a crown') before Steven sets up his amplifier ('I've hired it for 6!') and I walked down to the nearby kebab shop for some chips in a pitta bread. Well - you're allowed to eat stuff like that when you're on tour!
9.15 and with considerably more people in that he'd anticipated (many of the old Sawyers crowd had made the journey) Steven rather unsteadily took to the stage for a fine if rather, shall we say, loose set of original material. 'Am I slurring my words?' he asked smiling broadly; 'I was the 60th Whiskey Priest, the umpteenth Blyth Power guitarist at least' - now there's a chorus that only he could write! He also referred to T.V and myself as 'Jedward' on a number of occasions...
10.15 and we're on with 'No Time To Be 21'. We'd not had chance to rehearse together so had decided to stick to our 'chronological set' of the last few gigs, and with only a few moments of madness it all went rather well. I'd hoped to use my MXR Micro Amp pedal to boost the volume of my solos but that had refused to work at the soundcheck (good job I'd tried it then as it had worked fine at home) so I used the tried and trusted 'hit the stings harder during the solos' method - still I use it all the time when playing electrically so I'll have to either fix it or buy a new one. Bugger! Our set finished with the 'Adverts trilogy' of 'Gary Gilmore's Eyes', 'Bored Teenagers' and 'One Chord Wonders' to plenty of applause and at least one cry of 'awesome' from a younger audience member. A good first gig of 3.

I woke up the next morning at 10 o'clock, though I think that I'd have slept a lot longer if I hadn't set an alarm. I'd taken a sleeping bag and there were 2 quilts on the bed since there was no radiator in my room - I wasn't cold in the night but I guess with that lot on I shouldn't have been! When I went downstairs Bambi was loading footage of our gig onto his computer; whilst doing so he showed me some Sawyers footage, it looked like a really good venue but as he said, 'it's time to move on' Let's hope it works out for them in Wellingborough.
'What was going on at the end of 'Gary Gilmore' last night?' said T.V. rather pointedly; well I don't know so let's have a look at the footage... one too many riffs from the guitarist. It's a fair cop!
A thankfully recovered Trina dropped us at the station at 1 o'clock ('one down' said T.V. as we walked away from the car) where we learned that our train was delayed by 15 minutes. This gave us time for coffee and a scone (punk rock eh?!?) before heading over the bridge to catch our train back to St. Pancras. Yes, St. Pancras - strange as it may sound it's easier for us to go back to London then up to Ipswich than to cut across country directly. Given my storage problems on the way there we opted to use our reserved seats as luggage space and sit in nearby unreserved seats - T. V. produced a book written in German as I caught up on phone calls. From St. Pancras we made our way to Liverpool Street via the Underground where we checked the departures board - ominously there was no platform indicated for our train - and stocked up on caffeine. At 3.25 and with our train due in 5 minutes there are still no clues as to where we're leaving from - an announcement says that the 3.30 train is about to leave from platform 10 and panic grips the assembled multitude. Somehow we get on board just as the whistle blows - as the train pulls away I make vain attempts to store my guitar on the crowded carriage, eventually (almost) wedging it in a luggage rack with my bag and sitting as near as I can to it so that I can keep an eye on it. We had reserved seats elsewhere on the carriage (mine was C60 - one for the cassette users among us!) but the ensuing chaos meant that things had descended into a free-for-all with people saying things like 'there are no reserved seats on delayed trains' as they elbowed people out of their way. As I say, I despair of people sometimes... 'welcome aboard the delayed 15.30 train to Norwich' said a cheery voice, before saying something about 'signaling problems at Ipswich'. At least he had his seat.
As we pulled in to Ipswich Station T.V. phoned the venue to tell them that we'd arrived. He came off the phone with the words ' look out for the blue Escort'. Outside the station the snow was thicker than we'd seen up until this point on our travels, and there were cars, taxis and buses everywhere in a 'it's-nearly-5 o'clock-on-a-Friday-evening' state of near-emergency. We managed to signal our presence to the blue Escort before it got caught in the chaos, and we arrived at The Steamboat Tavern a few minutes later where Val the landlady showed us to our rooms (to be precise she showed me as T.V. has played and stayed there many times before) then offered make us some food which we were both very grateful for - it had been a long time since the scones.
Soundcheck time - Rikki from Red Flag 77 is running the gig, and also on the bill is the splendidly named Ed Ache (yes!) and local poet Rowan. I lent Ed a lead so that he could use an in-line guitar tuner, and with him due on at 8.30 we're given a stage time of 9.45 with Rowan doing a set inbetween our 2 acts. With quite a few people in Ed in onstage on time, he's got dreadlocks down to his knees and uses a ukulele for the first few songs and an acoustic guitar for the rest, both of which sound like a chainsaw as he roars through his material with great energy. 'Here's another song about having no money, it's called "12.50 a day" - he's going down well and the atmosphere is good with a great evening in prospect, when suddenly the lights go out, the P.A. goes off and the initial audience cry of 'Whay-hay!' is replaced by confused murmurings. I look out of the window at the flats opposite, there are lights on so it can't be too bad - or is that emergency lighting on the stairs? Bar staff with torches eye the fuse box warily as Val produces a bewildering amount of candles and people wonder if they can still get a drink or not. Ed carries on singing then Rowan bravely begins his set, gripping his pint glass like his life depended on it as people struggle to hear him. Meanwhile people are asking how come the lights are still on in the toilets as T.V. and myself wonder what to do - do we go on or do we wait to see if the power returns? We're at the bar speculating furiously when there's a sudden burst of light, then darkness again, then light again with another cry of 'Whay-hay!' - people start blowing candles out as we get ourselves ready to play. 'No Time To Be 21' ends to relieved applause, it's all going to be alright and everything's going great until 'The Suit' when the power suddenly dips for a split-second, then again a few seconds later, no 'Whay-hay!' this time but we get to the end of the song in one piece. 'Runaway Train Driver' sees a conga around the pub (Val banned them from going outside as it was too dangerous!) and the Adverts Trilogy sees more than a little pogoing. Great stuff, although I can't help wondering what I would be typing if the power hadn't come back on...
After the show it's time for a drink, and with Me First and The Gimme Gimmes on the Cd player everyone seems relieved that it all went well in the end. T.V. and myself sign birthday boy Stalkie's gig poster as an 'are Gogol Bordello any good?' debate begins and Rikki attempts to tell us about his 'other' band The East Town Pirates - 'we get called ''The East End Pirates'', I mean what's that all about, do people think we're going to go "da da da da daa daa daaa" then shout "OOO AH ME HEARTIES'?'

Saturday began with coffee and Marmite on toast - a good start. T.V. sits changing his strings as we talk through the day to come - catch the train down to Stratford, then from there T.V. is off to do a late afternoon solo gig in Hove before meeting myself and the long-suffering Shirley in Shoreham for our evening show there. Baz gives us a lift to the station, it's busy as Ipswich are at home to Swansea but we get there in time for the 12.08 to Stratford - which is of course delayed to 12.30. A man asks me if I'm 'on the fiddle' as I'm getting my ticket out, I misheard him and thought he'd said something about the football but he points at my guitar case and looks pleased with himself. I smile and join T. V. on the platform, pausing to read the 'leaf fall update' by the ticket machines - it seems that they've 'implicated an extensive line side vegetation management programme' which I guess means that it's not leaves causing all these delays then... on the platform the '2010 Timetable Change Surgery' notice sits next to the 'New Footbridge and Lift' information which thanks us all for our 'support and co-operation while we undergo the enhancements'. Hmm...
With the platform full of Swansea City fans our train arrives in the nick of time.It's not too full so we anarchically choose seats in coach F instead of our allotted coach C (punk rock eh?!? Mind you T.V. was now reading Steve Ignorant's book so maybe anarchy really was in the air...) and, passing through T.V.'s birthplace Romford on the way, arrive at a busy Stratford Station without any problems. The Central Line train back into town is full as quite a few of the other lines aren't running due to maintenance work (how annoying is that every weekend?) and I'm very relieved to meet Shirley at West Ruislip Station where we make a detour to drop some posters off at The Bell in Ruislip for the upcoming Upper Cut show there this Friday before coming home. A shower and some food are both much needed from my point of view, and at 6 o'clock we leave to wind our way down to Shoreham. As we pull up outside the Duke Of Wellington it's pouring down with rain, we're steeling ourselves to get indoors as quickly as we can when a bedraggled Attila The Stockbroker arrives on a bicycle carrying a violin. We go inside to find him and T.V. ordering drinks, the pub has an excellent selection of real ales which Attila is something of an expert on. We set up and soundcheck in no time, and Peter from Peter and The Test Tube Babies arrives just as we finish. I attempt to describe his band to Shirley but give up after telling her the title of their first album... by the time we go on there are a few people in including ex-Blyth Power guitarist Wob who I'd not seen for ages abut who now works behind the bar at the pub. Attila is right at the front for most of our set singing along, he joins us on violin for 'Lion And The Lamb' and 'Runaway Train Driver' in the middle of our set and 'One Chord Wonders' at the end, he speaks emotively about how T.V. inspired and continues to inspire him, eventually persuading T.V. to play 'Not In My Name' to end a great gig, in fact a 3 great gigs which I'll remember for a very long time. And talking of remembering things...

I was at an Attila gig sometime in the late '80's, I think at the Mean Fiddler Acoustic Room although I could be wrong there; Attila said something like 'I'm going to play a song by one of Britain's greatest ever songwriters' before performing 'The Suit' on mandola. One of the people I was with asked who T.V. Smith was - I turned to them and said words to the effect of 'you must heard of T.V. Smith, he was in The Adverts, a great songwriter, a genius in fact...' and as I said it I realised he and Gaye Advert were standing right behind us. I think I managed an awkward hello and then said 'well - you are!'

He doesn't remember it happening, but I do. I've just played 3 gigs with him, and as I say, I'll remember them too.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 08:22:12 PM by Tj »

Tj Sundown