Author Topic: Some New Kind of Great EXPLORERS  (Read 20283 times)

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • True  Results - People Change for Good
    • Email
Re: Exploring The Great EXPLORERS
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2009, 06:00:05 PM »
Do you see Parade and Be Brave as Explorers songs?

Tj

I really liked them at the time... remember being disappointed that they didn't follow "Imagination" into the live set.   Maybe in place of "Walk Away"....

DT

I've got the Walk Away picture. ;)

I bet Parade would have been superb live.
"Deep inside you know it's right to lean towards the light"

Tj Sundown
Leaning towards the Starlight

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2009, 06:02:02 PM »
Wish someone had made a listenable tape of one of the Greyhound shows....

DT

I'll bet.

At least you saw the gigs.

Tj Sundown

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2009, 06:03:10 PM »
Any chance you could send a few Explorers photo's to tj@tvsmith.com Dave?

Tj Sundown

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
Re: Exploring The Great Explorers
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2009, 11:55:13 AM »
What do you think of The Explorers?

Well, I admit I didn't know they existed until I first visited tvsmith.com at the end of the last century (in fact almost 10 years ago)...  :-[
Of course later on I got the CD re-release and I'd always liked it when TV performed some of the songs (especially Tomahawk Cruise and The Servant). Never got to be a big fan though.
I really like "Walk Away", sounds a bit like early Waterboys (who hadn't released an album at the time)!
Just around the corner and miles away...

Offline Klaus

• Administrator
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • ICQ Messenger - 47852913
    • View Profile
    • http://www.tvsmith.com
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2009, 01:15:22 PM »
Guess I discovered TV's music another way than most TUTS.
First thing I got to know was Giants, then Immortal Rich.
Around that time my first gig. Then Cheap, Explorers and last and least  ;) the Adverts.

Explorers always stood out for me. Until this day if I had to choose between Adverts and Explorers, I would give away all my Adverts stuff away if I could keep the Explorers' album.  ;D
"And if our castle should come tumbling down - We'll fix it up again somehow
We can do anything - That' the wonderful thing...

Carrying On"

Offline anotherdt

• Bored Teenager
    • View Profile
    • http://www.davethompsonbooks.com
Re: Exploring The Great Explorers
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2009, 02:42:09 PM »
I really like "Walk Away", sounds a bit like early Waterboys (who hadn't released an album at the time)!

And when they did, look who was singing backing vocals on it.  There are no coincidences.
cross London Bridge, the night crashes in
I'm being shipped to America limb by limb...

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2009, 03:04:30 PM »
Well, I admit I didn't know they existed until I first visited tvsmith.com at the end of the last century (in fact almost 10 years ago)... 
Of course later on I got the CD re-release and I'd always liked it when TV performed some of the songs (especially Tomahawk Cruise and The Servant). Never got to be a big fan though.

Uli

Nice one Uli. Three ACE tracks two.

...TV really put the Adverts Cheap Explorers into ACE!

Ouch! ::) :-[

Tj Sundown

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2009, 03:08:50 PM »
Guess I discovered TV's music another way than most TUTS.
First thing I got to know was Giants, then Immortal Rich.
Around that time my first gig. Then Cheap, Explorers and last and least   the Adverts.

Explorers always stood out for me. Until this day if I had to choose between Adverts and Explorers, I would give away all my Adverts stuff away if I could keep the Explorers' album. 

Klaus

Great to hear again how how top two German posters got into TV. I always thought you were into Immortal Rich first, Klaus.

Got to admit that as great as The Adverts were live and on Peel, The Explorers win the race for me too.

The only other UK band that compete with The Explorers for me is Stoner's other great band; The Doctors of Madness.   

Tj Sundown

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2009, 03:10:37 PM »
And when they did, look who was singing backing vocals on it.

DT

That's it! Get TV and The Waterboys to re-record Walk Away! Let's create a version that Dave loves. ;) :D 

There are no coincidences.

Now your talking!  8)

Tj Sundown

Offline anotherdt

• Bored Teenager
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2009, 03:13:22 PM »
Got to admit that as great as The Adverts were live and on Peel, The Explorers win the race for me too.

The only other UK band that compete with The Explorers for me is Stoner's other great band; The Doctors of Madness.     

That's a difficult call... it's a time-and-place thing for me, the Explorers gigs were really amazing and I saw them more than any other band ever.  At the same time, though, an Adverts gig during the first half of 77 had a magic that I don't think any band has ever eclipsed.

As for the Doctors... unfortunately I didn't see them when they were REALLY good (either side of the first album), so they'd already started to change by then.  But yeah, they were okay....

Hey TJ, did you get the photos I sent?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 11:28:59 AM by Tj »

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Some New Kind of Great EXPLORERS
« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2009, 11:44:05 AM »
That's a difficult call... it's a time-and-place thing for me, the Explorers gigs were really amazing and I saw them more than any other band ever. 

dt

You saw them more than any band ever and I never saw them. Oh! For a time machine. Real shame they didn't finish in a high and play that TV show.

At the same time, though, an Adverts gig during the first half of 77 had a magic that I don't think any band has ever eclipsed.

dt

I caught The Adverts first in September '77 and then again later in the year. They blew me away...

1st September 1977
"Up. Work usual crap, but, bought NME and Record Mirror (featuring GAYE ADVERT poster). Usual shitty day untill it's time to get ready for the ADVERTS gig. Picked up Mass, Chris, Dicco and Nev. Got tickets - queued for ages! Sold Chris a ticket and talked to Rich Bligh (Punk friend), had a can of Tartan. Got in and listened to Punk disco - Clash, Only Ones, Drones etc - I didn't pogo as I was waiting for the main event. On came the ADVERTS, Gaye on bass (looking beautiful), T.V. Smith on vocals, Howard Pick-up on guitar (a giant!) and Laurie Driver on drums. They were brilliant, especially T.V.. I managed to pogo-push my way to the front. They played One Chord Wonders (twice), New Boys, Bombsite Boy, Great British Disaster (Oops! I made a Mistake!), Quickstep, Bored Teanagers, We Who Wait, No Time to be 21, New Church, On the Roof and Gary Gilmores Eyes (twice). T.V. gave us a go with the mike "looking through Gary Gilmores Eyes" - I patted him on the head while I was singing. I touched Gayes leg and patted Howard on the back and said "well done" - he said "cheers". I was stood on the stage at the end. Two encores. We waited ages to speak to them, but we were unlucky. Got Bored Teanager and Gary Gilmores Eyes badges. Dropped others off.

.....Almost forgot - the ADVERTS are the best - my No. 1 favourite band!

Excerpt from my Tj's 1977 Diary

As for the Doctors... unfortunately I didn't see them when they were REALLY good (either side of the first album)

dt

I got to see Stoner in the Doctors and at the same time as that awesome first 'Late Night Movies' album.

Weird Scenes Addict (Waiting In Leeds '76)

I first crossed paths with the name 'Doctors of Madness' in late 1975. They where tipped by one of the rock papers to be one of the three bands to watch out for in '76. I decided to give all three a try and planned to buy their first releases. First came Boxer (all I can remember is an advertisement of a fit young lady sporting a pair of boxing gloves and not a lot else). The second had the rather lacklustre name of Charlie (they turned out to be a rather uninspiring rip off of Queen). The third were The Doctors of Madness. These looked the most interesting to me as my other favourite bands in '76 were the theatrical and bizarre Split Enz and the wacky and eccentric Sparks - I was a certified Weird Scenes Addict.

Weird names, blue hair, electric violin, horror make up - The Doctors certainly fit the weird category. The only problem was that the gutter press described their music as dirge. Even a weird scenes addict needed some imaginative words and an infectious tune.

Back in early 1976 I got my chance to find out for myself, because they where supporting one of my then favourite bands, Be-Bop Deluxe at Leeds University. I went to the gig with my two best mates, Mark (Smit) Smith and Rob Matley. Whilst eagerly waiting for the Doctors of Madness to appear some music was played - what the hell was it? I had no idea it wasn't like anything I had ever heard. Then I picked out the electric violin... .surely not, I thought. I remember saying to Smit 'this can't be the Doctors album - it's not dirge!'.

The Doctors of Madness suddenly appeared on stage. Kid Strange, a gangly giant of a man, with blue hair and a KID shaped guitar. Stoner on bass, complete with skeletal Frankenstein face paint. The amazingly named Urban Blitz, resplendent in boiler suit. Finally, in full support, came Pete Dilemma, the bleached blonde drummer.

We were totally transfixed by the eerie, almost horrific spectacle. The sound of Urban's violin filled the air with roller coaster crescendo of sound, 'Tapping my feet on main street, counting the stars in the sky, stretching my arms and inspecting my palms, and I'm waiting..' sang the man. This confirmed that the beautiful, but intense music, played earlier, was indeed the Doctors. Madness maybe, but dirge no way! Adding to this theatre of intensity was the strange stare coming from the Kid. It took a while to realise he had false eyes painted on his eyelids - definitely weird!

Smit and I were in total awe - we took a quick glance to see what Rob was making of this mesmerising performance. To our surprise Rob had his Parka hood up (looking more like a demented later day Kenny from South Park). 'The sound is even better like this,' he said with pride (and we thought the Doctors were weird!).

The songs ranged from a melancholic drip, drip, afterglow slow to 100 miles per hour pre Punk Punk (was Waiting the first ever real British Punk song?) Again I dared to let my eyes leave the stage to gauge the reaction of the crowd. It seemed pretty extreme. People had a dramatic reaction - love it or hate it! The guy behind me had a tape recorder running barely visible through a gap in his coat (boy would I have loved a copy of that tape).

Many of the songs were later recognised as being from their first album, but one cool line was to stay on constant playback inside my head until the final track on the final Doctors of Madness album. The line was 'Dooowwwwnnnn, Dooowwwwnnnn'. It was sung in a style that is best described as akin to the swoop of a hungry vulture on a dying rodent.

This tuned out to be the last song from the set 'mooooorrrre, mooooorrrre' screamed those in love and awe. The Doctors of Madness obliged with a touch of Lou Reed.

After the Doctors encore we hung around waiting for the so-called main event, only to be informed that Be-Bop Deluxe wouldn't be playing. Believe it or not we got a full refund, which meant that we saw the greatest band of all time for free! The story on the street was that Be-Bop had been to record Ships In The Night for Top Of The Pops and got stuck in traffic on the return journey. The irony is that Be-Bop Deluxe probably did themselves more harm then good. They missed the chance to capture and harness the energised Yorkshire 'home' crowd - warmed up so much that we were practicably alight! Be-Bop fell from favour with the three of us and never recovered. The Doctors - well the legend grew to the extent that many years later Richard (Kid) Strange is still one of my top two favourite artists of all time.

Tj Doctors of Madness Live review 4.08.09

Hey TJ, did you get the photos I sent?

dt

I sure did and I loved 'em! Thanks Dave. Sorry I didn't reply. I've been diving into C5's treasure chest of old TV Times issues so I didn't get on my PC.

Next stop is to catch up on the issues C5 didn't get and go through your TV Times back issues CD Dave. Can'y wait. 8)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 12:43:11 PM by Tj »

Tj Sundown

Offline anotherdt

• Bored Teenager
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2009, 02:08:52 PM »
I got to see Stoner in the Doctors and at the same time as that awesome first 'Late Night Movies' album.

My first exposure was the Twiggy show, then the first LP... but didn't see them till after Figments... a couple of "original" line-up shows, then it was the Marquee with Vanian, and the Music Machine farewell.  Not fair.

Did see what I think was Richard's first post-Doctors show... went with Gaye and Tim to some college somewhere (maybe in Chelsea?).  That was a goodie.  Bunch of Cabaret Futura nights as well... I have a great photo somewhere of Richard there, sitting in front of a painting and more or less in the same pose as the woman in the pic.  I'll see if I can dig it out for you.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 03:39:26 PM by Tj »

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2009, 03:42:50 PM »
That would be great, Dave.

It must have been incredible watching twiggy and see The Doctors appear. :o

At the Pat Travers tour at Leeds Poly Pat Travers didn't turn up. Sadly this time the Doctors didn't play solo.

I didn't fancy the Vanian tour and missed Music Machine.

I did however see Richard perform Phenominal Rise with his band. 8)

Back to Stoner's other band, have you seen this Explorers second album thread...

http://www.tvsmith.com/forum/index.php?topic=5887.0

« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 03:44:21 PM by Tj »

Tj Sundown

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2009, 10:17:40 AM »
It's amazing about having thsi clarity around release dates makes you think drifferently about songs.

I used to think that Carrying On was written when TV hadn't had an album out for ages. The period just before he formed Cheap. Instead it looks like TV's castle that came tumbling down might well have been The Explorers and the song could be about picking himself up after his band of such great hope and potential fell on the German tour.

Here's how the Explorers second album would have looked if TV had recorded his very next batch of songs...

Parade
Be Brave
Wheels Out Of Gear
Impulse Buy
Open Up Your Heart
The Impossible Person
Beautiful Bomb
New Ways Are Best
People Don't Know
Carrying On

Tj Sundown

Offline anotherdt

• Bored Teenager
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2009, 02:44:35 PM »
Here's how the Explorers second album would have looked if TV had recorded his very next batch of songs...

Parade
Be Brave
Wheels Out Of Gear
Impulse Buy
Open Up Your Heart
The Impossible Person
Beautiful Bomb
New Ways Are Best
People Don't Know
Carrying On

Still not convinced about Parade and Be Brave, they were already getting on for a year old by that time, and don't forget these are only the songs that he played to the intrepid TV Times interrogator.  And, as you pointed out, "Carrying On" probably wouldn't even have been written if the band had not fallen apart.  Others, written but not demoed at that time, would surely have squeezed in, and then there was that awful thing called "democracy", wherein the band members would also have had a say in what became their repertoire.  I'd say half of that list would have been in with a shout, but the rest exist only in that parallel universe where the Explorers didn't fall apart.