Author Topic: Some New Kind of Great EXPLORERS  (Read 20303 times)

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • True  Results - People Change for Good
    • Email
Re: Some New Kind of Great EXPLORERS
« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2009, 02:42:51 PM »
You could always replace them with Move On and In My World of Words. ;)

Printing off TV Times at the moment and working my way through Times by Times.

You really were quite a fan wasn't you, Dave? :D
"Deep inside you know it's right to lean towards the light"

Tj Sundown
Leaning towards the Starlight

Offline anotherdt

• Bored Teenager
    • View Profile
    • http://www.davethompsonbooks.com
« Reply #46 on: November 25, 2009, 02:47:20 PM »
You could always replace them with Move On and In My World of Words. ;)

Hmmm.  But I'd love to have heard the Explorers get to grips with "Little Knocks."

You really were quite a fan wasn't you, Dave? :D

either that or an obsessive little stalker.
cross London Bridge, the night crashes in
I'm being shipped to America limb by limb...

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2009, 05:59:02 PM »
Stalker? You not The Unwelcome Guest are you?

See link...

http://www.tvsmith.com/forum/index.php?topic=5902.0
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 06:01:57 PM by Tj »

Tj Sundown

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2009, 06:00:34 PM »
My The Explorers have even sneaked into World Chat.

It really is Explorers time. :D

The Explorers? Get onto it TJ...

Fred (Today in World Chat)

With Ronson passed away from The Spiders and with me now seeing Mott The Hoople that only really leaves teh first Bearsville version of Sparks (my favourite Sparks incarnation) and my favourite ever English bands; The Doctors Of Madness and TV Smith's Explorers.

Long term TUTS will know I have already achieved my joint dream around Exploring Madness with Britain's finest...

Of course what you might not know is that on the eve of the first Exploring Madness re-union gig TV had a prod at me about a perceived goal he thought I had to reform The Explorers. It was not part of any of my cunning plans. This subject was then raised the next day in my as yet unreleased interview about TV with Jamie Palmer. ...Maybe if Jamie is cool with this it would be fun to put my interview on You Tube.

To date there have been five semi-Explorers re-unions not counting the three recent EARTHBOUND gigs with Tim Cross. If you count them it makes 8. ;)

There was two with Stoner in 1999, One with Erik Russell at the first TUTS gathering in May 2002 and the two Exploring Madness gigs with Stoner in September 2006.

It's the 30th Anniversary of the The Explorers first instrumental (yep that's instrumental - check out page 62-3 of Your Ticket Out Of Here Uli) demo's right NOW. On March 13th next year it's the 30th Anniversary of the Explorers first gig at the Marquee. the first song they ever played live was The Servant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQCRaeapYsw

I can dream can't I?

Tj Sundown

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
Re: Some New Kind of Great EXPLORERS (30th Anniversary)
« Reply #49 on: November 26, 2009, 06:22:00 PM »
TV Smith's Explorers Play "Channel 5"!

Now there's a show worth catching!!!

Get onto it TJ...
TV SM!TH - for the beer and the company! (AND great songs too!)

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: November 26, 2009, 07:10:11 PM »
Ha! If TV Smith's Explorers reformed and played Great Explorers and Channel 5 Dave Thompson would be in London before you could say "Your Ticket Out Of Here."  ;) ;D

Nah! The 30th Channel 5 Anniversary is in 2013 with the Three Tim's towing The Party Line. Leaving us all very High.

By the way speaking of Channel 5. C5's Dad has just told me he has had C5's Channel 5 album framed at put on his wall.

C5 would love that.

...You must be very proud TV.

C5's Dad has also just bought In the Arms Of My Enemy on I Tunes.

Tj Sundown

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: December 06, 2009, 07:36:17 PM »
Fred Owen 

Are you onto it yet TJ?

an Explorers Reunion would be nice, they split up before i was born

but please with all songs

Gabumon

Interestingly despite lots of people in 2006 and now 2009 assuming I have. I have never made a serious attempt to try and persuade TV to re-form the full Explorers band, Fred and Gaby.

Of course that doesn't mean to say I can't wish and dream. :D

Up their with Sparks/Halfnelson and Ziggy Stardust and The Spiders from Mars as the awesome live band I never saw live.

Woudl it make 2010 the best year for decades. Well as TV would say...

Probably. ;)

Tj Sundown

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: December 13, 2009, 12:28:52 PM »
I wonder if I can get to replace Doctor Who before than new guy who's name we can't remember does?

Alaska Studio's December 1979 here I come. :D :D :D

Tj Sundown

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: December 28, 2009, 02:19:45 PM »
I always used to wonder if TV took The Explorers name from the line in On Wheels.

I'm some new kind of great explorer
I sink the lowest, I go further
I'm sailing in the 'Lucky Dragon'
I'm ready for whatever happens
Living out the life unstable
Men like animals, untameable

TV Smith On Wheels

Dave Thompson: "Why did you call the band The Explorers?

TV Smith: "Because i'd already mentioned them in 'On Wheels'.

Taken from TV Times 9. TV Times CD of all 43 issues available from Dave Thompson...

http://www.davethompsonbooks.com/

Tj Sundown

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 29, 2009, 11:37:20 AM »
I always used to wonder if TV took The Explorers name from the line in On Wheels. 

Interesting! And we thought TV was "looking forward" with his new band. (Well, okay, he did, as they never played old Adverts stuff.)  8)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 02:41:40 PM by Tj »
Just around the corner and miles away...

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: December 29, 2009, 06:56:19 PM »
Maybe it made for a natural link to the next step Uli.

Here's The Explorers story taken from the Dave T 'Wake Up' interview...

TV: I immediately started putting a new band together, with Tim Cross on keyboards. We'd brought him in as a keyboard player in for Cast of Thousands. I thought, well the next band I'm gonna have really good players with me as a basis and see how that goes. And I'd got on very well with Colin Stoner, who was originally bassist with Doctors of Madness and was a fantastic musician and understood what I was writing about in a classical way and could find new ways of responding to the songs. I also brought back John Towe, who was the best drummer I'd ever played with and a friend of Tim's, Erik Russell, on guitar, and we started rehearsing as The Explorers.
And it was really great, very thrilling. But almost immediately that started to get problems as well. Our rehearsal room was owned by Andy Czezowski who ran The Roxy and we were running up a mountainous bill that we couldn't pay. We weren't getting enough money to get paid ourselves. John Towe got fairly pissed off with it and left again; Tim got an offer with Mike Oldfield, so he left. So I was immediately back without musicians trying to rebuild a strong band. Got Mel on keyboards who was a friend of Erik's, and got a new drummer from London Zoo, David Sinclair, who was also a friend of Erik's. I'd seen London Zoo a few times and I liked his drumming.
And so we got into this second line-up, then Big Beat offered to record a single for us and we recorded
Tomahawk Cruise. That actually crystallised at the point where The Explorers was at its best with that second line-up, we were working really well. Then we managed to get a deal with a Chiswick subsidiary, put out the single and it got great reviews, started to sell, was virtually on the point of being a hit record when the little label we were on found they couldn't actually press enough copies - they hadn't been expecting it - and the shops ran out of copies. Big Beat moved it up onto the Chiswick label and they repressed it, but by then it was too late. It bombed. Ridiculous.

Like I was saying, the problem was that as soon as I established a band, it all seemed to start falling apart. Tom Newman had come under a lot of criticism for his production of Cast of Thousands, which was done in difficult circumstances and I don't think any of us would produce it the same way again. But for me, his production of Tomahawk Cruise totally vindicated why I chose him; it showed that he could work with a band and put out something unique. If you're lucky you get the right wave of being in synch, which we did with Tomahawk Cruise.
We wanted him to do the album as well but unfortunately he was booked to do a Doll By Doll album and couldn't do it - at the last minute, it turned out. The initial plan was for him to come in on New Kings after he'd done a Doll By Doll session and then spend a few hours with us. But in fact he didn't do that and we ended up without a producer. The studio engineer we were using was very good at engineering but someone to help us actually put a stamp or style on the record was not there. So it put a lot of pressure on us to be doing that ourselves and in some ways it's his album. I do like it but I think now it shouldn't have sounded so conventional. I would rather have had the kind of ragged edge that we had with Tomahawk Cruise. It was a commercial disaster. We did get signed up to a decent label, a subsidiary of CBS, but somehow nothing Kaleidoscope did could push the first single we released into any kind of charts at all and it was roundly slagged off in the music papers. We'd missed the wave. The album sounds much better today, if you listen to it in the context of nothing else, than it did back then, unfortunately. The Oi brigade totally missed it obviously and the New Romantic thing, it was also nothing to do with them. So we were pretty much standing on our own.

So The Explorers folded, again under rather unhappy circumstances. We were riddled with debt, touring and desperately unable to pay ourselves or road crews. We finished up on tour in Germany, where the PA crew had pulled out half way through the tour because they hadn't been paid and left us there without any PA. With the promoter not paying us, and the nightmare of breaking up, we just said, "Let's go back to England and forget it, this isn't any fun". A familiar story!"

Tj Sundown

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2010, 01:21:08 PM »
"the first kiss of an endless repeat" ("World Of My Own")... "across London Bridge the night crashes in, I'm being shipped to America limb by limb" ("New Ways Are Best")...

Got it wrong. Dave's post was about forgotten lyrics not lyrics you get wrong.

I must be getting rusty after my forum vacation.

Isn't SEARCH and PROFILES great you can find anything you want on this site? :D

Tj Sundown

Offline Alan

• The Newshound
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: June 01, 2012, 12:47:13 PM »
My second favourite British band ever. :)

My favourite ever British band are hopefully on BBC4 tonight.

Tj Sundown

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: June 01, 2012, 12:49:09 PM »
...And then we'll all be The Doctors of Madness.

Tj Sundown