Author Topic: "I Know I'm A Tease But... SOON SLEAZE" TV Smith  (Read 29886 times)

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • True  Results - People Change for Good
    • Email
"I Know I'm A Tease But... SOON SLEAZE" TV Smith
« on: November 21, 2009, 06:31:08 PM »

Not quite what you were expecting TUTS?

Hmm speaking of Sleaze I wonder if we'll get to here Piss Artists at our EARTHBOUND 2010 piss up in the brewery?   
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 12:08:11 PM by Tj »
"Deep inside you know it's right to lean towards the light"

Tj Sundown
Leaning towards the Starlight

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
Re: Ready to Witness SLEAZE?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 12:24:39 PM »
Nice one. TV played with the Creeps, so it's still relevant in TV Chat.  :)
Just around the corner and miles away...

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Ready to WITNESS SLEAZE?
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 12:24:42 PM »
Thank you Uli. :D Not so Slaby. ;) ;D ;D ;D

I loved reading about Slaby Witness and Sleaze on pages 10 to 13 in Your Ticket Out Of Here.

GET IT NOW to find out the full story TUTS.

I so know what you want to wish clearly for this Xmas Bloody Xmas.  ;)

Tj Sundown

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 07:32:36 PM »
Here's TV talking about his first band, Slaby Witness, in Wake Up...

I borrowed my first guitar from the village Sunday school, which had been donated this old guitar and kids could borrow it one at a time and take it home with them. I borrowed it and kept it. My brother taught me a few chords and I learned a few chords out of guitar books. I could never play very well but I found if I worked slowly I could play enough to write my own songs on it. I put a band together at school when I was about 16 and we played in lunch hours and every now and then in music lessons and back rooms when we supposed to be learning theory or something. It was our version of a rock band. And then we went to the great heights of hiring village halls and putting on our own gigs there. Our first real gig was at Belstone Village Hall. That really set me on the road to being interested in being in bands; I could use it as a way to write my own stuff.

Here's TV talking Sleaze in Wake Up..

TV: Then I went on to Torquay to do a year at art college, a foundation course. I formed another band there pretty much straight away. By this time I'd discovered the New York Dolls and so it was the influence of that and also a bit of the glam stuff that was going on. I was really into David Bowie at the time, his Ziggy Stardust tour was one of the greatest gigs I'd ever seen. There was another glam band called Cockney Rebel, they were one of the few bands that came down to the west country, and Doctors of Madness, Heavy Metal Kids. We didn't get most of the bands who were on the circuit down there, so when one did play there it was really quite important, the gigs were pretty special to start with. I met Gaye at college and we started formulating plans for a band, which would have been about 1975, I
suppose.

TV: Sleaze actually recorded an album, pressed up 50 copies ourselves to give to friends, and it's a long long way from what I was doing a year later, for sure. For a start everything sped up a great deal. I don't think I'd ever realised how fast it was going to be until we started playing it with a bunch of people. I'd actually written the songs quite a bit slower. And the other big difference was the lyrics. With Sleaze they were just a stream of consciousness that didn't really mean anything. Like the worst elements of glam, it sounded like poetry but it wasn't.

Tj Sundown

Offline Gabumon

• Cast Of Thousands
    • ICQ Messenger - 131442393
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gabumon18
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 12:16:33 AM »
damn that they is nothing left from Slaby Witness, no recordings, no songs
Welcome to the Chelsea Girl Store!

:D

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 10:20:54 AM »
True, not even any Slaby song titles, but I bet Belstone Village Hall is still standing.

I might just seek it out on my next trip to the South West. ;) ;D

Tj Sundown

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 10:29:18 AM »
Good old Google.

So here it is for the first time ever TUTS.

Belstone Village Hall, the exact location of the first ever gig by TV Smith.

I wonder if they have a plague on the wall.  ;) ;D ;D ;D

Originally built in 1910 as the Church Room, the building became the Village Hall in 1957.  A new foyer and toilets (including an accessible toilet) were completed in 2000; a new kitchen was added in 2005; and a new meeting room, a second accessible toilet and various store rooms were built in 2008.  The Man Hall has seating for 150 and has a raised stage with associated lighting at one end for theatrical productions and live music from local bands like the now famous Slaby Witness.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.belstonevillage.net/images/directory/Village%2520Hall%2520sign_80.png&imgrefurl=http://www.belstonevillage.net/&usg=__CQtWY29RCSbuE826W1oWcgJWMVU=&h=53&w=80&sz=52&hl=en&start=7&sig2=5e7usFUKlGQZWWlgZiR5UA&um=1&tbnid=kvk-hQmEs5kXYM:&tbnh=49&tbnw=74&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dbelstone%2Bvillage%2Bhall%26hl%3Den%26rls%3Dcom.microsoft:en-us:IE-Address%26rlz%3D1I7ADBR_en-GB%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1&ei=jBs7S_rlAdLAjAfM3OGmDg

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.devonperspectives.co.uk/belstone/telegraphoffice200.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.devonperspectives.co.uk/belstone_village.html&usg=__ZN6obTn4lm-dXGMtrUL48JBe9aI=&h=200&w=176&sz=44&hl=en&start=16&sig2=DYBOrdTQ3pt73JTBSwxxnQ&um=1&tbnid=XVx0mrd4qVk25M:&tbnh=104&tbnw=92&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dbelstone%2Bvillage%2Bhall%26hl%3Den%26rls%3Dcom.microsoft:en-us:IE-Address%26rlz%3D1I7ADBR_en-GB%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1&ei=jBs7S_rlAdLAjAfM3OGmDg

I wonder if this was where TV's first guitar was borrowed from...

« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 10:41:43 AM by Tj »

Tj Sundown

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2009, 10:51:25 AM »
Sorry I couldn't resist slipping that line in.  :-[

Tj Sundown

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2009, 12:48:12 PM »
This Big Untidy interview with TV is interesting...

http://www.biguntidy.com/Articles/TVSMITHDiscographyPart1.pdf

SLEAZE:
Tim Smith (vocals), Andy Bennie (bass), Buzz Chanter (guitar), Stuart Guest (guitar), Dave Heath (drums)
Sleaze (50 copies only. No label or cat.no, LP) July 1975
Side 1: 1.Showbiz Kid 2.Dum De Dum 3.Piss Artist
Side 2. 1.Hollywood 2.Listen Don´t Think
Big Untidy: “Who were Sleaze?”
TV Smith: “Sleaze were the band that came before The Adverts. I formed them when I moved to Torquay to study art for a year at the polytechnic, recruiting Andy Bennie, the bass player from my school band Slaby Witness, who´d also moved to Torquay to study art. We found a few other musicians, began rehearsing some songs I´d written and played a few gigs in local clubs, schools, pubs, and on one occasion – our only brush with celebrity – supported George Melly at the Tech´s 1974 Christmas party. Towards the summer we had enough songs to record an album and went into a local studio – getting a day´s session and 50 copies of the result on vinyl for an all-in-one price (about 40 pounds) and gave the records out to friends and family.”
Big Untidy: “Didn´t one of the Sleaze tracks later became an Adverts song?”
TV Smith: “The song I took with me to rework for The Adverts was originally called Listen Don´t Think – and ended up as Newboys.”

Big Untidy: “Is it likely the Sleaze album will get released on CD?”

TV Smith: “I have absolutely no plans to reissue the Sleaze record.”

Tj Sundown

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2010, 03:24:41 PM »
TV's interview with John Robb - so will that Sleeze album get released?!

Taken by Alan at Rebellion 2010

You having a pop at my smelling?

What did John Robb and TV say about the Sleaze album, Alan?

Tj Sundown

Offline Rockula

• Global Moderator
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2010, 05:18:49 PM »
What did John Robb and TV say about the Sleaze album, Alan? [/color]

It was actually TV saying he wasn't embarressed by Sleaze, it was of it's time, and a release of the album was possible due to the interest shown by fans.
 Not a definite but a definite maybe.

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2010, 09:34:26 AM »
Thanks DJ. More substance to the rumours then. Bring it on.  8)

I agree its of its time. Dave Thompson talks about the Diamond Dogs and Cockney Rebel influence.

I hope Teev uses that bondage Sleaze gig advert for the cover. Sleaze indeed. :o

Tj Sundown

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2010, 11:08:21 AM »
SLEAZE – white label/no cat #, July 1975
7501 Showbiz Kids
7502 Dum De Dum
7503 Piss Artists
7504 Hollywood
7505 Listen Don't Think

A limited edition of 50 copies was pressed and distributed amongst friends
and family in a plain white sleeve.

“We did the Sleaze album in June 1975,” Andy Bennie recalled. “It was the first
time any of us had ever been into the studio; I’d only been playing bass about
eight months, I’d been playing guitar before that. We did the whole thing in two
hours, completely live, no overdubs or anything. The guy who mixed it was a
BBC engineer, he did a really amazing job on it.” Total cost -  38.88, including
VAT.

Though clearly a child of its time – Diamond Dogs era Bowie, Cockney Rebel’s
Psychomodo and the Doctors of Madness can be numbered among its sonic
contemporaries
– Sleaze is also a shockingly far-sighted disc, and not only
because one song, “Listen Don’t Think,” would be revived by the Adverts as
“Newboys.”
The interplay between rhythm and melody puts one in mind of an extravagant
Television (“Signals,” from the band’s live set, is “Marquee Moon” two years early),
while Smith’s lyrics pack a decadent edge that would not come into fashion for
another five years or more. “Hollywood,” in particular, remains one of the most
overwhelming songs, both lyrically and musically, he has ever penned.

Dave Thompson

For the full story on Sleaze (and Slabby Witness check out Your Ticket Out Of here and the 30th Anniversary edition of TV Times books by Dave Thompson. A must buy for any fan of TV.

Bring on the Sleaze. :o

Tj Sundown

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2010, 11:05:51 PM »

Tj Sundown

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2010, 11:14:57 PM »
Ready to WITNESS SLEAZE?

2qTJ: Your career began with a stardust theft of an innocent guitar… Did the bitter come out better?

2aTV: Well, it wasn't exactly theft. My local Sunday School loaned me a guitar and I never gave it back. I used it, they never missed it, and at some point I got a guitar of my own and passed the old one onto a friend who was learning, so it carried on being used. It's the only thing religion has ever given me.

TJ: Somewhere between a permanent loan and a gift from the Gods!

3qTJ: Is the rumour true that it was this life directing action that you named your new album after and was taking that innocent Sunday School guitar a blessing or a curse?

3aTV: Never heard that rumour, but it's nonsense. Blessing or curse? You rarely get one without the other.

TJ: I wonder if that innocent guitar was thinking I am lying in the arms of the enemy?

Maybe instead it sensed great excitement ahead… A journey from young poet to protest panther.

4qTJ: So not to let you of the hook too easily, was Slaby a witness to the crime and if not what really happened in darkest Devon?

4aTV: I'll tell you about how we named my school band "Slaby Witness." It was the old standby method of finding a name for a band when you can't think of anything - we agreed to open a book at random, put a finger down on the page and choose whatever phrase it landed on. Unfortunately it landed on an article about the first attempt at using telegraphy and the phrase was "Slaby witnessed the experiments." This was never a name that was going to shoot us into pop stardom, but a deal's a deal. No doubt you could Google it and find out all the facts now, if you are particularly interested in early telegraphic experiments.

5qTJ: Like the corrupt and dum de dum Politicians, you passionately protest about, do you think you’ll ever escape the Sleaze?

5aTV: You can't shake off your past, and I don't want to. But I do downplay the "Sleaze" issue. People expect so much from it because they think there's going to be a pre-Adverts sound to it, but there really isn't. It was okay for the time, but out of context it's too slow, the lyrics are too pretentious and the songs are far too long. There are a couple songs from live gigs around that capture the band a bit better, but unfortunately this was a time before recording concerts became the norm, so they're very poor quality.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 11:17:51 PM by Tj »

Tj Sundown