Author Topic: What you need is something... CHEAP!  (Read 3847 times)

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
Re: What you need is something... CHEAP!
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2017, 11:01:25 AM »
Captain shared this article by Martin Newell on his Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/sensiblecaptain/posts/10155667684828102:0

I had a good laugh re-reading this Colchester Echo article by my occasional songwriting partner Martin ‘The Alien’ Newell…
DANCING WITH THE CAPTAIN
Pigalle, Paris April 1990
“T.V. Smith's band, Cheap, are on stage and giving it some helmet. They're pounding through a song called Third Term, a perfectly good bit of punk ramalama, which TV has written because of his despair at Mrs Thatcher being re-elected It's the last number of the night. The French support band and their liggers have already been backstage and polished off most our rider – this is the food and beer which the club supplies for starving English rockers. Most nights of our residency, all that's left for us when we get offstage, usually, are broken French baguettes, Laughing Cow cheese and loads of bananas, which for some reason, the hangers-on don't like. The dressing room is like all rock dressing rooms and is covered in graffiti, much of it scrawled by other English rock bands.
Captain Sensible has found a good use for the unwanted bananas. Every night, after he's played his set, he stands in the wings breaking them up and flinging the pieces at the audience, Smith's band and me. I'm standing in the wings on the other side of the stage and as the banana fragments whizz through the air, they are momentarily illuminated in the stage lights. When the audience start throwing things back, the air is thick with the flying fruit, which ,when it's lit-up, resembles tracer bullets. I'm on my side of the stage, shirtless, with my black cycling trousers on, picking banana out of my hair. The audience, meanwhile is heaving and jumping at the front of the stage, Captain Sensible's making even more mess and laughing about it all, and poor old Cheap have got to finish their set in this mayhem.”
(This is only the "Cheap" part, read more at the link above)
Just around the corner and miles away...

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
Re: What you need is something... CHEAP!
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2017, 10:47:47 AM »
Great new interview about CHEAP!

http://www.behindtheamp.com/2017/09/not-so-cheap-tv-smith-and-best-band-you.html

It was that black hole I wanted to know more about, when TV fronted Cheap, a band who rallied against the injustices of the dying years of Thatcherism and produced one of the best pieces of seven inch vinyl I have ever bought, the magnificent and beautifully crafted ‘Third Term’, a sadly ignored plea to the public not to let Thatcher and her cronies ruin Britain with another term in office.

BTA: What was the catalyst for forming Cheap?

TV Smith: “I really missed playing live. I had been dumped by the record industry. No deal, no manager, no publisher, I ended up at home, writing lots of songs and demoing them with Tim Cross, and occasionally sending them to labels and being told to “Fuck Off”.

What was missing was going out and playing to people. The plan was for a small-scale band to get out and around to gigs in a couple of cars and gear. We had no thoughts of being mega-successful but only of  getting out and playing pubs and small clubs. We would go anywhere, any gig that would have us and pay the petrol money.
We had no chance of trying to do our own thing as against what the music business wanted. Now it is a dream compared to then. You can make your own records independently, sell them at your merch stand and play your gigs independently. In the eighties there was NOTHING. Unless you were picked up by a label, there was no DIY scene, there was no guitar music, and there was nowhere to play. You were looking into a hole whatever you would do.
Read more at the link above!  8)
Just around the corner and miles away...