Author Topic: Who hasn't heard CHANNEL 5?  (Read 14687 times)

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
But I said I was only joking!!!
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2004, 06:02:34 PM »
Sorry!
TV SM!TH - for the beer and the company! (AND great songs too!)

Offline C5

• Republican
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
    • http://www.liverpoolfc.tv
    • Email
I KNOW
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2004, 06:25:52 PM »
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
If It isn't invented yet, It will be"

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • True  Results - People Change for Good
    • Email
Re: Who hasn't heard CHANNEL 5?
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2007, 09:14:34 PM »
 ;D
"Deep inside you know it's right to lean towards the light"

Tj Sundown
Leaning towards the Starlight

Offline Willi

• Bored Teenager
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2007, 11:04:52 AM »
I've just bought Channel 5 as part of the turbo-charged acquisition process resulting in my Almost Instant TV Smith Collection.  I've now fully heard - and been stunned by - Immortal Rich, Generation Y, Useless, Not A Bad Day and Misinformation Overload.  I also now own, but haven't yet listened to March of the Giants and.... Channel 5!

I am holding off on March and C5 for two reasons - firstly, I want to give my tiny brain a chance to absorb the others before overloading it with these last two.  Particularly with Channel Five as I know its 80's sound will probably set it a little apart from the others and I don't want the differences between this and the other albums distract me from the quality of the songs. 

The other reason I haven't listened to Channel Five (and I don't want this to sound ingenuous or insincere) is out of respect for Mr C5. If Dave loved this album so much, I want to give myself every possible chance, in the right frame of mind, to see what he saw in it. I will wait until I am fully across the other albums before spinning this one up.

Willi

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2007, 01:03:37 PM »
Wow! You are holding back on my favourite album of all time. The mighty March Of The Giants and Channel 5 (I think we know who liked that). ;)

Boy do I envy you that first hearing.

What do you think of the other albums. As actual songs go I think Not A Bad Day takes some beating.

PS: You got Channel 5 right got to admit I sniggered the first time I heard the 80's keyboards on Token. I love that song now though. It just takes a while to adjust. You see C5 (and Dave Thompson) heard it in the 80's when it was released in the New Romantic days. That's why he loves it more than us. He was their. We wern't...

TV's forever fan. :) 

Tj Sundown

Offline Willi

• Bored Teenager
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2007, 02:27:02 PM »
I'll  right more fully on my thoughts about the other albums over the coming short period of time, but I have been amazed by each of them, in different ways and for different reasons.  There is such great diversity across the albums, as well as remarkable consistency. 

I've been involved in discussions on another site (www.rateyourmusic.com, which is a pretty interesting place for people to rate and review albums and share thoughts on music and lots of other stuff) about consistent performers.  The general view on that site (and my own) is that there are very, very few performers/bands who have managed to maintain consistently good output across a lengthy career.  Many have produced one or two great albums and then gone rapidly downhill or disappeared.  Many others with long careers have produced one or two great ones and maybe another great one or two somewhere else in their career, and a whole lot of far inferior material in between.  Some just continue for years or decades delivering mediocrity. 

There is only one performer I can think of who has maintained consistently good work over a lengthy career - the Australian singer-songwriter Paul Kelly.  He would not be familiar to many outside Australia, but he had a few quite big hits here at one stage.  Paul has been playing and releasing albums continuously for 25 years and while I like some of his songs and albums more than others, I don't think he has released one bad song in that whole time.  I'm sure there are a few other performers who the same can be said about, but Paul Kelly is the only one I can think of.

Until now, that is. Across all of TV's material I have now heard, I can honestly say there is nothing I don't like (even though some songs are stand-outs), nothing that "falls below the line" and the overall quality of his work - particularly his melodies and lyrics - is simply remarkable.  Maybe TV summed it up best himself when he said to me in Wollongong "I've never put filler on my albums".

As I say, I will have more to write about individual albums and songs as time goes on.

Willi

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2011, 02:08:03 PM »
Just to remind you all, whoever has not heard Channel 5 yet, should be doing so! As C5 used to tell us, it's a great underrated album!  8)
Just around the corner and miles away...

Offline Gabumon

• Cast Of Thousands
    • ICQ Messenger - 131442393
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gabumon18
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2011, 04:43:56 PM »
i have a Channel 5 "Live" on my Harddisk  ;D because TV played the whole thing
Welcome to the Chelsea Girl Store!

:D

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2011, 05:39:34 PM »
Yeah, you have it, but did you ever listen to it?  ;)  :-*
Just around the corner and miles away...

Offline Gabumon

• Cast Of Thousands
    • ICQ Messenger - 131442393
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gabumon18
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2011, 06:17:25 PM »
sure, next project is "Explorers - Live"  ;D
Welcome to the Chelsea Girl Store!

:D

Offline Nick

• Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
    • Nick
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2011, 07:04:59 PM »
I am happy to say that I am now the proud owner of all TV's albums. Everyone a masterpiece. They all get played regularly.  :)

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2011, 10:14:09 PM »
Yeah - that's one TV where you don't mind repeats!
TV SM!TH - for the beer and the company! (AND great songs too!)

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2011, 12:10:32 PM »
I am happy to say that I am now the proud owner of all TV's albums. Everyone a masterpiece. They all get played regularly. Nick 

You managed to track down Sleeze, I'm real impressed Nick. ;)

Tj Sundown

Offline Nick

• Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
    • Nick
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2011, 12:53:45 PM »
Yeah - that's one TV where you don't mind repeats!

Very true Fred  :)

I am happy to say that I am now the proud owner of all TV's albums. Everyone a masterpiece. They all get played regularly. Nick 

You managed to track down Sleeze, I'm real impressed Nick. ;)

Ahem. I forgot about that one.  :-[