Author Topic: The Adverts Live CD's; (Not) Live At The Roxy and Live and Loud  (Read 3560 times)

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • True  Results - People Change for Good
    • Email
Boy this sure is an interesting interview by Big Untidy...

http://www.biguntidy.com/Articles/TVSMITHDiscographyPart1.pdf

Live At The Roxy Club (Receiver RRLP 136, LP) November 1990
Side 1: 1.Safety In Numbers 2.Newboys 3.One Chord Wonders 4.On The Roof 5.New Day Dawning 6.Great British Mistake
Side 2: 1.Bombsite Boys 2.No Time To Be 21 3.Quickstep 4.New Church 5.Bored Teenagers 6.Gary Gilmore´s Eyes
Live At The Roxy Club (Receiver RRCD 136, CD) November 1990
1.Safety In Numbers 2.Newboys 3.One Chord Wonders 4.On The Roof 5.New Day Dawning 6.Great British Mistake 7.Bombsite Boy 8.No Time To Be 21 9.Quickstep 10.New Church 11.Bored Teenagers 12.Gary Gilmore´s Eyes
Big Untidy: “In the sleevenotes to the Adverts Anthology you write that the
album known as Live At The Roxy was, in fact, recorded at another venue a year or so later (1978). Any ideas as to how this mix-up occured? And any idea where the LP was actually recorded?”
TV Smith: “The Roxy album wasn't a mix-up - everyone involved knew the
recordings weren't made at the Roxy. My recollection of the Roxy recordings is that they were pretty awful. The Adverts could put on a stunningly good show or a terrible one according to circumstances and the Roxy was one of the terrible ones: we were using borrowed equipment, couldn't hear ourselves on stage and were nervous knowing everything was being recorded. When we heard the tapes back at EMI in 1977 we initially thought there wouldn't even be one useable track for the Roxy compilation. So when the label (Receiver) approached me
about the "Adverts live at the Roxy" idea I immediately said no, but they told me they had the rights to the "Live At The Roxy" name as a generic title for a series of albums and most wouldn't be the original recordings. I think the tape they'd got hold of was actually recorded in Birmingham. It was a good performance and at that point I seriously needed the money so I agreed to it.”
Live And Loud!! (Link CD 159, CD) 1995
1.Gary Gilmore´s Eyes 2.Newboys 3.One Chord Wonders 4.On The Roof 5.New Day Dawning 6.Quickstep 7.Safety In Numbers 8.Great British Mistake 9.We Who Wait 10.New Church 11.Bombsite Boy 12.Bored Teenagers 13.One Chord Wonders (encore)
Big Untidy: “Do you know where and when the Live and Loud!! LP was recorded? I don´t actually have this - I always thought it was another version of the Roxy LP though from having compiled this discography it seems it is a different concert.”
TV Smith: “I don't have a copy of Live and Loud!! either and can't remember where it was recorded, but for sure it's a different concert. I seem to remember they had a concert recording where we didn't play Gary Gilmore's Eyes so they had to add one in from a different gig.”

I knew at some point Teev might have heard the rest of that early Adverts live at The Roxy set, now we know why it was never released (bar Bored Teenagers).]
"Deep inside you know it's right to lean towards the light"

Tj Sundown
Leaning towards the Starlight

Offline Gabumon

• Cast Of Thousands
    • ICQ Messenger - 131442393
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gabumon18
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: The Adverts Live CD's; (Not) Live At The Roxy and Live and Loud
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 04:06:59 PM »
hm i would be interested to have the original recordings, but i would bet the Stupid EMI have them, and i bet they dont gave them out..
Welcome to the Chelsea Girl Store!

:D

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 04:26:04 PM »
Gaby, you'd be interested to have every recording ever. ;) ;D ;D ;D

Tj Sundown

Offline Gabumon

• Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 09:47:44 PM »
sure, i love my big recording archive  ;D

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2009, 01:51:04 PM »
:o :o :o

I bet that's what you tell all the girls. ;)

;D ;D ;D

Tj Sundown

Offline anotherdt

• Bored Teenager
    • View Profile
    • http://www.davethompsonbooks.com
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2010, 04:30:52 PM »
Funny thing about the Roxy, of course, is that it was there that I saw/heard the Adverts for the first time, and they were certainly good enough for me to want to see them again.
cross London Bridge, the night crashes in
I'm being shipped to America limb by limb...

Offline Gabumon

• Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2010, 03:29:27 PM »
so live is different from taped stuff

i have some concerts that sounds live really crapy, the Recordings then sounds good, and the other way i have too

damn that it sounds not very possible to get that Roxy Recordings, maybe with today technics could it be possible to make it hearable :D