Author Topic: Michael Demsey THE TV Smith Manager  (Read 2979 times)

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • True  Results - People Change for Good
    • Email
Michael Demsey THE TV Smith Manager
« on: December 29, 2009, 07:04:28 PM »
The second edition on TV Times focuses on this forums unsung hero of TV Smith's career; Michael Demsey the Manager of The Adverts, The Explorers and the first few days of TV Smith's solo career.

Sadly Michael passed away after a tragic accident at home in December 6th 1981.

In the interview Michael talks to Dave Thompson about how he met TV and The Adverts and how the rapport in The Explorers is "really unbelievable."

Michael closes the piece with these words about The Great Explorers; "I don't think there's many bands around with so much potential and excitement as this lot. So, give them all you've got, cos that's what they're gonna give you." 

"Deep inside you know it's right to lean towards the light"

Tj Sundown
Leaning towards the Starlight

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Michael Demsey THE TV Smith Manager
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 07:12:27 PM »
One thing I really wanted to do this year is give Michael his own post in this forum. Like C5 he is one of the greats in TV's life who helped him keep Carrying On whilst leaving us way before their time.

It's fitting that Carrying On was demo'd jusyt as Michael passed away.

Here's to you Michael. You played a major role in developing the legend. 8) 

Here's TV talking about Michael in my favourite TV Smith interview by Dave T in 'Wake Up' magazine...

TV: Up to this point we had a manager, called Michael Dempsey, who was a really great friend and a kind of maverick book publisher, and he was absolutely fascinated with coming down to The Roxy in the very early days and was interested in The Adverts. He was a real lyrics fan so he was reading up on this stuff I was writing and he loved the whole band and the concept of the new idea of punk music. He was a rebel in his own way, he was 15 years older than us, and not a great businessman and quite unable to do the stuff you have to do to make a band profitable - thank God because the compromises a band has to make to do that are often not pleasant. But he was a great creative mind and he steered us really well through The Adverts and The Explorers. Very shortly after the break-up of The Explorers I did some solo tracks as a kind of demo for the next project, which turned out really good. We felt convinced that we could get me a deal with that and I'd then turn into a solo artist. But then Michael died at home. He had an accident where he fell off the third floor of his flat changing a light bulb and went down the stairwell and died. So I then found myself without a really good friend and, in the context of what I was trying to do musically, without a manager, which was weird because none of us had ever got involved in that side of things. From the first time he took over those reins he was then dealing with record companies and tours and everything really. We just rehearsed and went out and played and did what musicians do. So after the break-up of The Explorers, the new project that I was excited about that I was about to take round and show people - what you had was a musician without a band, without a manager, with two failed albums behind him, trying to sell himself to record companies.

Tj Sundown

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 11:42:44 AM »
I didn't know much about him, apart from what I read in interviews. It's really time for him to get a mention and his own thread.  8)
Just around the corner and miles away...

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 12:28:43 PM »
Richard Strange read a story out of his book about Michael Demsey at the Strange Bloody Xmas gig he did with TV back on the 13th December, 2004.

It was about holding a massive expensive party for Richard Strange and then doing a runner without paying (followed by a straled Strange) fleeing in and out of taxi cabs.

Michael sounded like quite a case. ;D

He also edited Sniffin Glue...

http://www.punk77.co.uk/Books/sniffinglue.htm 

Here's an interesting Adverts site...

http://www.nostalgiacentral.com/music/adverts.htm

Clearly they haven't read Your Ticket out Of Here as Michael died in 1981 shortly after the Explorers broke up, not The Adverts...

Crossing The Red Sea With The Adverts was The Adverts' debut album and was released by Bright Records in March 1978. Unfortunately, despite releasing some more well-regarded singles, The Adverts were not able to maintain the momentum and their career stalled after the release of their second album, Cast Of Thousands.

The album was a huge departure from Crossing The Red Sea, with the opening title track awash in sweeping orchestral arrangements, grandiose piano, wild synthesizer and massed choirs. Elsewhere, the album actually featured tubular bells!

They split up shortly after the accidental death by electrocution of their manager, Michael Dempsey. Their last gig was at Slough College on October 27, 1979.

While Tim Smith continued in the music business, ultimately to release solo albums, Gaye (real name Black) gave up music and followed a career with Social Services. Driver (real name Muscat) moved to Iceland - the country not the shop - and sadly, Howard (Pickup) Boak died from a brain tumour.

...Actually this article is quite ;D

Tj Sundown

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 12:43:49 PM »
After One Chord Wonders, our new manager, the much loved and missed Michael Dempsey (publisher ' 100 Nights At The Roxy' and ' Sniffing Glue - The Bible'. Paul Punk 77) started angling to move us onto a major label, and we fetched up on Anchor.

TV Smith

This article claims to be about Adverts facts...

Adverts Career

The band was formed in 1976 by T.V. Smith and Gaye AdvertGaye AdvertGaye Advert is an English punk rock musician, who played bass guitar in the band, The Adverts, in the late 1970s. She was one of the first female rock stars of the punk rock movement....
Smith and Advert were both from Bideford, a small coastal town in Devon and were later married. 

The band impressed Michael Dempsey so much that he became their manager.   

Unfortunately, despite releasing some more well-regarded singles, The Adverts were not able to maintain the momentum and their career stalled after the release of their second album. The band members at the time were also threatened with lawsuits by former members Rod Latter and Howard Pickup, who objected to the band continuing to use the name The Adverts without them. They split up shortly after the accidental death by electrocution of their manager, Michael Dempsey. Their last gig was at Slough College on 27 October 1979. After the band split up, T.V. Smith continued with Tim Cross forming as TV Smith's Explorers, then Cheap, and finally from the 1990s to date performing as a solo artist.

In regards to their legacy, critic and author Dave Thompson argues that "nobody would make music like The Adverts and nobody ever has. In terms of lyric, delivery, commitment and courage, they were, and they remain, the finest British group of the late 1970s".

Well, the Dave Thompson's comment is a fact other than that they're are just a few little non-facts in there like TV coming from Bideford, TV and Gaye being married and Michael dieing in 1979.

The bit about Howard and Rod suing is interesting. I've not heard that tale before.

Tj Sundown

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 01:09:26 PM »
TV Smit to Big Untidy: "Later during the recording we augmented our sound with keyboards from Tim Cross, who went on to become a permanent member and tour with us in the final months. In this experimental approach we were encouraged by producer Tom Newman, who we bought in at the suggestion of our long term mentor Michael Dempsey. Tom was a friend of Michael´s and producer of Mike Oldfield´s Tubular Bells, an iconic object of hatred for most punk fans. Tom, however, proved to be anything other than the conservative producer one might have expected. Genial and enthusiastic, he was very keen to try his hand at working with us, despite our reputation of being chaotic and unable to play our instruments.”

Tj Sundown