Author Topic: Gabumons Gig Reviews #1 to Now  (Read 18272 times)

Offline Gabumon

• Cast Of Thousands
    • ICQ Messenger - 131442393
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gabumon18
    • View Profile
    • Email
Gabumons Gig Reviews #1 to Now
« on: January 11, 2010, 12:09:10 AM »
so as planed short/longer reviews of my TV Smith gigs, as far as i remember, i try to Add one every day, i try my best

#01 19.12.2002   Düsseldorf   AK47

A Friend (Wolf Kadaver, from Tanzende Kadaver) told me that i should go to TV Smith when he is near me, so TV is one of Wolfs favorite Musican etc. So i look at that site here for Tourdates, and i found out that there would be a Gig in Düsseldorf on that Date. First thing i do was to Mail TV if its allowed to Record, the big wonder for me was that the Reply Mail says "Yes, but there is no Soundboard Acces, i Record myself too" Years later i found out that Klaus Record, as i see the MiniDisc in that one he gave me to digitalize them :D ) So i went to Duesseldorf, i was printing out a Map to find the AK57. So lets say the Ak57 is a normal House, that looks Old, and you would think it will Collapse when the Wind blows strong. That "CLub" had no door(!) and it was inside colder than outside. So i was to early (intersting, i´m still mostly to early..) so i could see the 2 minutes Soundcheck too.

So the Club was filling, the "ticket" costs 5€, so it was just a Stamp, not a real ticket. And as TV starts at 9 the Club was full, and it was Hot inside. TV starts with Like a Rocket, so that song was the First i heared ever from TV, Youtube wasnt Invented in 2002, so there was no chance to hear anything before. So that song is a bit Special for me, and i love it when TV plays it.

Good thing was that i positioned my MD Recorder somewhere on a Table where the PA was Located, so the complete Crowd was Jumping and Dancing, that would be a crappy recording then, so TV plays a few songs that are still my favorites as: Sugar Crash, Your ticket out of Here, Tomahawk, Statute of Liberty etc. He used the Sequencer on a Few songs, but you know the setlist. So i dont have to Name that songs. After the "last" song Useless the Crows shout for Encores and TV plays 5 of it. Including Bombsite Boy. So the Last of the 36 Songs was Runaway Train Driver, and the Crows was Lucky, and starts to buy CDs etc. I dont remeber witch ones TV have there to sell them. But he gaves Autogramms, so i let him signate my MiniDisc.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 06:59:20 PM by Tj »
Welcome to the Chelsea Girl Store!

:D

Offline fleagle

• Cast Of Thousands
  • you will never know who you really are
    • MSN Messenger - info@stagefrite.co.uk
    • View Profile
    • stagefrite - keepin it live!
    • Email
Re: Gabumons Gig Reviews #1- to Actual
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 11:36:47 AM »
thats going to be a long hard piece of writing, every gig eh Gaby!  ;D

nice one

fleags
I got some presents for you boo-boo

Offline Gabumon

• Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 12:44:20 PM »
i think its more fun to read my English  ;D

Offline fleagle

• Cast Of Thousands
  • you will never know who you really are
    • MSN Messenger - info@stagefrite.co.uk
    • View Profile
    • stagefrite - keepin it live!
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 03:43:55 PM »
nicht as fun as mine deutsch  ;D ???

fleags
I got some presents for you boo-boo

Offline Gabumon

• Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 12:39:15 AM »
#02 19.02.2003 Essen Zeche Carl

After the First gig i chose to go to every gig near me, so the next one was Essen, i read that it would be with a Full Band, so i wasnt knowing what would be happend. So it was still winter, it was still cold and i came to early to the Location  ;D Good thing that it was already open. So the Zeche Carl have a Café in it too, so i chose to wait. I meet a few others who was waiting for. One of the was Steffi, so we talk a bit about this, and that. Before the Doors opend i saw Vom walking thru the Cafe. I wasnt thinking that he would do that, i was more like "hm the plays in a Big Band, he would have security." but he had nothing like this. I let him signate a Concertcard from Toten Hosen that i still had in my Wallet. Yes i know, total kiddielike to let him signate it, but i was young :P. After the doors for the Concertroom opent we went in. So the Zeche Carl was really a Zeche (what the Hell is the English word for that?) before. So the Rooms still look like that the workers could go in every second..

The First Band was Great Big Kiss, as far as i remember a RocknRoll Band, it was ok, but nothing so interesting. The Second one was the Beatlesons, they Cover songs from several Bands and rearrange them into ahm they call it Trashpolka, it was really nice to hear that, so i see them a few times more in the Future. Then TV went on Stage, alone, i was thinking "were is the Band?".. But TV starts solo with Not in my Name. So that song was New, so i think the Band just dont have time to practise it. After it the Band goes on Stage, as Far as i remember Vom on Drums, Thomas on Guitar, and sorry i forgot the name of the bass player :(, i´m bad with Names. Maybe TV can help me here? or Klaus? It was complete Different for me to hear that songs with Band the First time. The Venue was not really filled with people, but that ones who was there was very energetic and very happy to see TV & Band on Stage. The Set was a more Typical Best off set from Useless and the not released yet Not in my Name. Lords Prayer was the Last song in the Main set. And the Crowd shouts for Encore. So TV came back Alone and Played Useless, for the Last 2 Songs the Band joined again. After One Chord wonders it was finaly over.

i decide to leave soon, so there was nothing more to do for me, i planed to go to Bochum on the next day, but i cant make it, so i make Jülich. But thats another Story..

next one Jülich Kuba 21.2.03

Offline Klaus

• Administrator
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • ICQ Messenger - 47852913
    • View Profile
    • http://www.tvsmith.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 07:45:20 PM »
Gabumon, I really enjoy reading your reviews.
Nice memories.
And great story about the soundboard being occupied by my MiniDisc.  :)
"And if our castle should come tumbling down - We'll fix it up again somehow
We can do anything - That' the wonderful thing...

Carrying On"

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 09:15:45 AM »
So the Zeche Carl was really a Zeche (what the Hell is the English word for that?) before. So the Rooms still look like that the workers could go in every second..

The word for Zeche is "coal mine" I think.  :)

Nice reviews and an ambitious task you set yourself!  :o
Will keep us reading while Tj is away.  ;)
Just around the corner and miles away...

Offline Gabumon

• Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2010, 03:32:55 PM »
#03 21.02.2003   Jülich   Kulturbahnhof

After i cant make Bochum i chose to go to Jülich, its only 80km more to drive but ok, so i print out a Map (GPS Systems wasnt very common this time) and driving to Jülich, after 1 hour searching the KuBa i finaly found it, and i was to early (again  ;D ) so i talk a bit with Roman (the Sound Engineer) and Kathleen (she is normaly Roadie for Kuddel(?) at Die Toten Hosen) i talk english to her before she say me that is German  ;D I Ask for Soundboard Acces, but Roman record it himself (hm i should ask TV for the Recordings  ;D )

I get a Nice Place, the Stage was in the Middle of 2 Walls with a high of 2 meters, so i could watch the Band from Above, nice place to Film  ;D So the after the Soundcheck i went to the Merchandising and bought a "B. Bang Cider" CD, that was a Band with Vom and Monique (from the Beatlesons) before the Beatlesons. Its starts this time with The Beatlesons, it was a fun gig too, and the Crowd seems that they liked it too. After the Beatlesons finished, soon later TV enters the Stage for Not in my Name, and after this the Band joins, the gig itself was Mostly like the one in essen, but the Kuba was more filled in front of the Stage. So again the Encores starts with Useless Solo, and the Gig Finished with the Adverts Classic One Chord Wonders.

After the Gig i went Backstage to sort my stuff and chatting a bit around, so after 30 minutes i went to home. One song of that Gig is released on the "TV Smith One Chord Wonder" DVD from Cherryred Films (that DVD is missing in the Archiv .. ahm)

i was thinking to make Düsseldorf the day after too, but again, not possible :(

Offline Mrs Fleagle

• Cast Of Thousands
    • MSN Messenger - aliensathome@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2010, 06:11:54 PM »
Gabumon are your writing this all from memory  :o

Mrs Fleagle  ::)
e have guided missiles and misguided men.

Offline Gabumon

• Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2010, 07:19:07 PM »
yes, the only thing that i use for "help" is the setlist i mostly know them i just dont want to forgot anything

Offline Gabumon

• Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2010, 07:54:47 PM »
oh i forget to write a fews days

#04 22.05.2003   Düsseldorf - Benrath   Benrather Hof
TV Returned for a Big Tour to Germany again, this time with the Garden Gang, so Düsseldorf was the first near concert so i chose to go there first. An sure, i arrived to Early, but the door was open and i step in, there was Enough Time to ask the Soundguy for a Mixing Desk output, and i got it. Just after manager all the wires the Garden Gang starts they Soundcheck i like them from that time. After the SOundcheck was just waiting time, a few guys stepped in and payed and it fills slowly up, bevor the Support band, Groovie Ghoulies enters the stage it was already good filled. But the Groovie Ghoulies, a mix between Rock and Metal was just bad, i really dont like that style of music. I meet Steffi again and we just Talk a bit. After Groovie Ghoulies had finished after 40 minutes the Garden Gang comes on Stage soon, and they was much better than the Support Band. After them TV enters the Stage for a Solo Set. All the Right Hands Rise get into the Set, and i like it from the First time, its still one of my Favorite on that Album (another will had his Premiere later in 2006) so TV had his little Computerband too and they "join" for a few songs too, after Big Fish Steffi enters the Stage to use her Kazoo on Stage on Last True thing. (a Shame that TV dont play it anymore after Steffi lost her Kazoo) for the Last 6 Songs the Garden Gang joins the Stage Again and its get loud. SO the Main Set finished with One Chord Wonders, and the in this Time full Hall shouts for Encore. So TV joins back for another 2 songs and finished the Gig with Statue of Liberty. I remember that i leave early because i was Worn out, and the next day another gig waits for me, so i pack my Videocam and Minidisc and leave soon that former Trainstation.

#05 23.05.2003   Viersen   RKW
So the next day was Viersen, its a small town in the Area of Moenchengladbach, hm thats not even bigger, so lets thay its in the near of nowhere.. So i arive to early, and even the Band and TV wasnt there. They arrived around 20 minutes later than me, and i stepped in with them. After i set up my equipment it was Soundcheck time, so there was nothing Special. After it TV sets up his Merch, and he never had so much T-shirts with him, i think it was 4 Differents in differents size, so i Buy one of that lightblue Not a Bad Day shirts, but i buy it to small, and after washing it got even smaller, it dont fit anymore its just Worn Once :D Oh and i Bought. So the Support band this time was "Golden Cockring" and RocknRoll Band, it was ok as Support. After them the Garden Gang Joins the Stage again, and played another nice Set. The Venue was not really filled, just around the Half, but as TV enters the Stage it gets more filled. So i think most people was DOwnstairs and only come up for TV. The Concert ROom is Upstairs there, the Backstage is Downstairs. TV starts with the 2 AntiUSPolitic songs Atlantic TUnnel and Not in my Name, and the Old Demo "Open up your heart" it was a absolute Rarity this time, it wasnt played for the First time (i think Cottbus 8.5.03 was the First time) but i never heard it before, but i like it from the first time. After Runaway Train Driver the Garden Gang Joins again to 5 Songs with TV. and after Gary Gilmores Eyes they all Leave the Stage. So the normaly Game, the Crowd shouts for Encore and they went back to play Bored Teenagers and One Chord Wonders. After that it was FInished. After the Gig i chat around with Steffi, and Pamp, and Steff (from Garden Gang) i think and decide to leave 1 hour after the Gig ends.

#06 24.05.2003   Ratingen   LUX
Ratingen is a Small Town near Düsseldorf and the Venue is a Nice Youthclub, so i arrived to early, and helped the Soundguy for the Linecheck before the Band and TV arrived, after they arrived i help them Carry they stuff. Fun thing was, one of the Monitorspeakers had the problem that he cant stand right, so wie use LEGO to do it :D I had nothing to do, so why i should not help. After the Soundcheck was Finished i ask TV for a song the First Time, so it was an Easy one, March of the Gigants and TV said yes (could be a bad mistake to say yes the first time  ;D my wishes get more difficult each time  :D ) so there was no Support Today (because it had to be an early finish, neighbours ..) so the Garden Gang starts at 8, and the Venue was total full, as i remember it was sold out. Like the others days they played their version from Eurodisneyland Tomorrow. And my still Favorite Haunted Hill. Around 30 minutes later TV enters the Stage, and starts with No Time to be 21. My Wishsong March of the Gigants was the 4. There was Safety in Numbers in the Set again, i like that Adverts Classic. So later on Last True Thing Steffi joins again with her Kazoo. The Garden Gang enters the Stage Again for the Last 5 Songs, and for the 2 Encore Songs too. Then it was already 11 and the Concert have to finish, so i just chat a bit with Steffi, Pamp and another guys i dont know. Problem was during the Gig i stand on the Right side on the Stage and i got wet from beer and those stuff. So we all got wet from it. Good thing that i dont get into a Policecontrol on the way home

next one is: Gabumon went to Hamburg.. #07 08.12.2003   Hamburg   Knust

Offline Klaus

• Administrator
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2010, 08:28:02 PM »
 :)

Carrying On"

Offline Nick

• Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
    • Nick
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2010, 01:03:47 PM »
I have enjoyed reading your reviews Gabumon. A TV Smith gig is always something special. I Have only been to three, but they were among the best gigs of my life.  :)

Offline Gabumon

• Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2010, 12:59:55 AM »
#07 08.12.2003   Hamburg   Knust

So it was Monday, a Rainy Monday. for the Gig in Kassel i had no time, to i chose to go to Hamburg (130 km each direction more) and some traffic jams, but i arrived still to early, (2 hours to early) so there was nobody at the Venue, so i try do to a bit shopping there, but there wasnt only a few food stores and some restaurants. So i eat something India, dont remember what it was but it was hot..

When i go back to the Venue it was open, but no TV in Sight so i set up my equipment and waits, so i meet Viola from Berlin, so the Knust have 2 Rooms, one Big and one Small, in the Small one there was a gig to, from Jan Farrar. TV & The garden gang arrived around 6, does their soundcheck and than backstage. Jan Farrar starts then at around 8, i was watching him a bit, but its not my kind of Music so i go back into the Big room and waiting. During my Wating time i catch TV and ask for Strong Horse. Jan Farrar finished at 9:30 so the Garden Gang starts at 10 for a 45 minutes set. Most of the Guys who watches Jan Farrer goes into the Big Room too, but it was not very filled. But for a Monday it was ok i think. After the Garden Gang was finished TV enters the Stage. So Strong Horse makes as 4th Song, so i could erase it from my "Songs Left" list (yes i had those a list in 2003 already, and it was pretty long, now its short) Somebody shouts for The Servant too, and later another for On The Roof. After "I know what you want" the computerband joins, but after 3 songs they had to do a break, somebody shouts for No Time to be 21. After one more Sequencer Song the Garden Gang joins again for a few more songs. After Bored Teenagers it was time for the 2 Encore songs. And the Gig finished at 1 in the Morning. So i had a 4 hour drive back to home (including a Control ..) so i left short after the gig.

#08 17.12.2003   Bochum   Wageni (or as i call it "How to come in when there is no door?")

Bochum is not so far from here, so i could drive later, but i was still to early, i park at the Bahnhof Langendreer and try to get in the Wageni, that was a big difficult, the door was not any more a door, they build a wall behind it. So i walk to the Other side of the Venue, it was like the Bronx there was a Ton with a Fire in it, a few guys standing around and warm their hands on it. The "Door" was a Window, a not very high window. Interesting way. The reason for that was, the Venue was to loud when they had the door in the Front. So they make one of the Backwindow as the Door. The Wageni is pretty small, so small that there was a Stage that was only big enough for TV and the Drumset of the Garden Gang, the Rest of the Band hat more or less to stay in the Crowd. Steff (the Guitarplayer) chose to stand behind the Soundboard that was standing on s type of old Schooltable. It was much improving on that Gig :D

But the Beer was cheap, 50cent for 0,5l, but i had to drive. So the Garden Gang starts, mostly the normalset but they add a Christmas Medley. After the first 7 songs i shout for Lies, it was followed by Walk the Plant (another favorite) People don´t know was in the Set too, because Lari was there i bet. During the Gig TV Ask Steffi if she want to hear Useless, because she wears a useless T-Shirt. TV was a bit confused as Steffi says no. After GenY i shout again, this time for Living World. So TV say that he had played it in Frankfurt, but i wasnt there so he Played it Again. then 4 Songs with the Sequencer followed, for one of them (Xmas Bloody Xmas) Steffi gave TV a Christmas Hat, so he weared it during the Song :D.  And then it was Tight on the Stage the Garden Gang Joins again. It was pretty Loud, even louder as the Soundcheck. So they played their 6 songs set, nearly direct followed by the Encores, the Reason was it had to finish at 11, and at the encores it was already 11. So the gig ends with One Chord Wonders. Í chat abit with Pamp, TV, Lari and Steffi and went then to home.

#09 19.12.2003   Düsseldorf   Tor 3

4 Days till Xmas, and it was cold ans Snowy, so i start early to drive to düsseldorf and arrived to early (oh what a surprise) so i manage my normal stuff, Setting up my Minidisc and my Videocam and watched the Soundcheck, Male (an old German Punkband) was first, then TV, than "DIe Parasiten" but the Garden Gang had no time left for the Soundcheck. It was fun to see when all that frozen guys who waits for the gig gets in :D So the Tor 3 was good warm inside. The Garden Gang plays short, only 25 minutes, even Die Parasiten (a nice Women Punkband from Krefeld, they will Split up after their final gig at 1.5.2010 :( ) So TV & Band where Coheadliner, it was nearly the Band from earlier this year, but they add Like a Rocket to the set. It was pretty Full at this time, there was sold a bit more as 1000 tickets as i remember right. So it was a Good Party. For the Encore they Played Only one Flavor, and then for the Last song Xmas Bloody Xmas with addition of a Keyboard and much Konfetti, very fun to see :D Some of you might seen it as Xmas Download from this Page. After TV Male playes, Male is an Old Punkpunk from germany, they was foundet in the Year the Adverts Split up. Was nice to see them, they splitted up during the 80s and was refoundet in 2003. Right after the Gig i pack my stuff and went to home, it was very bad wetter and had nearly an accident with a Tree, damn trees always jump in my way! But i had Luck, i could break before i hit it.

#10 20.12.2003   Stolberg   The Savoy

After the Big gig in the Tor 3, TV chose to play a small last one for this year. Stolberg is a small town near Aachen. But the Pub was difficult to find, i had to ask a few people (remember that GPS was still for professional drivers and not payable..) but then i found it. It was already open but TV wasnt there. We was waiting long, after TV and Klaus arrived they told us that their was eating and forgot the Time.. So TV set fast up, and starts the Gig soon without a big soundcheck, so the Pub was already good filled. After a few songs like Let em go, Atlantic Tunnel etc a women from a Newspaper ask TV to play a song on that the crowd could clap hands, that would be look good on Pictures. So TV was thinking about those a song. So he played Big Fish, so the Women was Lucky and just watch the rest. But for TV it was a good reason to play his antipress songs Cast of Thousands and The Newshound :D A Few songs later TV plays My Trojan Horse, it was the first time i heard that, nice song :D After the First few sequencer Songs Steffi Joins the Stage again for Last true thing. A fews songs later including Carrying on, We want the road. GGE and much more the Computerband Joins Again for another 6 songs including Luxury in Exile. Somebody shout for Useless so TV played that before he Played his Last song Runaway Traindriver. After the Encore Shouts TV wants to play more, but after the First Encore Song he had to abort. A Student that just moved in the House had alredy called often to "break up the noise". What a stupid asshole. moves in a house with a pub where a concerts in it and wonders about that it could be louder. Those guys you should drown into the see, but thats impossible. Shit swims.. so it finished after 39 Songs. But it was still a very nice gig. I would say the best of the 2003 Gigs i see.

Next one is Essen in 2004, 11 month later  :o

« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 01:02:15 AM by Gabumon »

Offline Klaus

• Administrator
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2010, 04:50:44 PM »
Another great read!  :)

Especially loved these lines:

Those guys you should drown into the see, but thats impossible. Shit swims..

Carrying On"