Author Topic: Glen Matlock interview  (Read 2588 times)

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
Glen Matlock interview
« on: April 13, 2015, 04:11:17 PM »
Nice interview with Glen Matlock:

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/apr/11/glen-matlock-interview-sex-pistols-johnny-rotten?

Did it feel very different the second time around? You were a married man with kids.
It was kinda different. But it felt natural. No matter what we've all done individually, nothing is ever going to equate to the Sex Pistols. I think we collectively thought, "Well, that's what people want, let's give it to them." The biggest gig I did with the Pistols first time around was to 600 people. The second time round it was 125,000.

Did punk rock have to happen?
I dunno, but music was in a trough. Glam rock had been and gone, the big gigs at Wembley with Yes and Genesis and Jethro Tull cost a lot of money to get into, unless you were like Steve and Paul and had ways of bunking in. But none of us could relate to that stuff anyway. We liked the Faces because they seemed like they just didn't care.

Do you remember much of the first Pistols gig at Saint Martins College?
I organised it: it was my college. I had a bottle of vodka before going on and they pulled the plugs on us. People were shoving each other around. Then it all descended into chaos. I think we played half a dozen numbers, mostly covers. Pretty Vacant and No Feelings were already in the set but I don't think we got to play them.

Did you really steal the riff for Pretty Vacant from Abba?
Yeah, from SOS. Being at art school and being hip to the Dadaists and Marcel Duchamp, you'd nick something and make it your own. If I hadn't come clean no one would have ever spotted it.

After the Pistols you played with Iggy Pop. Was that a very different experience?
That was my first proper tour. He had roadies that knew what they were doing! Very clever chap, Iggy. He'd worked out that there was always someone from the band missing at rehearsals, because they'd gone down the hall to get a beer. So he said, "I can't stand for this." Then he sent a roadie out to get a dustbin and a bin liner, several bags of ice and bottles of whiskey and stuck it in the rehearsal room to keep us in the same place. I liked that style. Very professional.

Whatever happened to the new song you wrote for the Pistols, which you said sounded like Pink Floyd's Interstellar Overdrive?
It's still around, unfinished. Then Paul had a good idea for a tune but John said it sounded too much like the Sex Pistols. You can't win with some people, can you?
(Just a few sentences, read all of them at the link above.)
Just around the corner and miles away...

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
Re: Glen Matlock interview
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2016, 12:28:47 PM »
Great review of Glen Matlock's recent appearance at Nottingham's Theatre Royal. I couldn't make it, and sadly, many others couldn't either. It says the show was "sold out", but it was actually transferred to a make-shift stage in the bar area as sales were so low.

A shame, as it sounds like we missed a great night and he's always been really entertaining when I've seen him:

http://www.nottinghampost.com/glen-matlock-at-nottingham-s-theatre-royal-review/story-29523802-detail/story.html
TV SM!TH - for the beer and the company!

Offline Alan

• The Newshound
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 04:58:26 PM »
That's a very dodgy mustache he's sporting....

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2016, 05:51:09 PM »
They all are - trust me on this one...

Offline Alan

• The Newshound
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2016, 12:02:53 PM »
Hmmmmm I guess you do have form

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2016, 09:03:17 AM »
This is cool!  :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xc20gDT1rRE

Glen Matlock with Slim Jim Phantom, Chris Spedding and Mark Halligan playing God Save The Queen at the 100 Club, 02/08/2016.

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2016, 09:35:01 PM »
Agreed - nice find.

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2016, 11:02:56 AM »
Nice story - shame they posted the wrong clip!

http://www.nme.com/news/sex-pistols/95531

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
Glen Matlock & Zak Starkey
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2016, 09:51:26 AM »
Didn't really know where to put this, but I guess it fits into a Glen Matlock topic:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/zak-starkey-taps-original-sex-pistols-for-problems-cover-w438719
Zak Starkey and vocalist Sshh Liguz have teamed with original Sex Pistols bassist Glen Matlock and drummer Paul Cook for a ragged cover of the pioneering punk outfit's 1977 cut, "Problems."

The track appears on Starkey and Liguz's new project, Issues, a covers album featuring an array of guests and benefitting Roger Daltrey's Teen Cancer Program. On the album, Starkey steps out from his usual spot behind the drum kit ó he currently performs with the Who ó to play guitar while Liguz sings.

As Starkey tells Rolling Stone, Issues was initially pitched as a song series that paired covers with original music, but the duo decided to take it in a different direction. "We suggested we cut the tunes that influenced us with the original rhythm sections from the bands we covered," Starkey says. "It turned out so good that everyone involved thought it should be a record. So it is."

Sshh Issues Track List

1. "Problems" with Paul Cook and Glen Matlock of Sex Pistols
2. "Jah War" with Dave Ruffy and Segs of the Ruts
3. "Shoot Speed Kill Light/Rocks" with Darren Moonie and Simone of Primal Scream
4. "All The Young Dudes" with Mick Ralphs of Mott the Hoople and Martin Chambers and Glen Matlock
5. "Dominos" with Robbie Furze of Big Pink, and Twiggy and Gil Sharone from Marilyn Manson
6. "One Way Or Another" with Clem Burke of Blondie
7. "Back To Black" with Dale Davis and Nathan Allen of Amy Winehouse's band
8. "Private Life" with Martin Chambers of the Pretenders and Glen Matlock
9. "Get Up Stand Up" with Santa Davis and Fully Fullwood of Peter Tosh Word Sound & Power
10. "Babylon's Burning" with Dave Ruffy and Segs of the Ruts
11. "Tin Soldier" with Kenney Jones of the Small Faces
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 11:17:07 AM by Uli »

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2016, 10:54:07 AM »
Wow! Who'd have thought that a Starkey could be a musician!

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2016, 02:44:50 PM »
As the topic title promises an interview, this time I deliver:
http://www.philjens.plus.com/rattle/glen_conversation_050916.html

You're 60 now Glen, why oh why?

Glen: Why am I 60? Because I used to be 59, and life is like one of those old movies where the calendar pages fly off at a rate of knots. I feel like I'm 50, but I'm wrong, I'm 60. I'm the last one out of the Pistols to be 60 though!

It's 40 years since it all started with the Pistols..

And it's been 40 years of being reminded about it!

20 years since the Filthy Lucre Tour...

That's the surprising thing. Time goes quicker when you're older. But during that time I've been really busy with lots of different projects. None are runaway successes but I get around a lot; put a smile on people's faces sometimes. I feel in a good place. I was chuffed this year when I did an acoustic set at Glastonbury and 2000 people came and checked it out. Just me and my guitar. I did the Montreux Jazz Festival - it's not really a jazz festival, it's more "all that jazz" - and I played in a big club and it was rammed. So I think people dig my particular take on things

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2018, 12:39:54 PM »
http://www.philjens.plus.com/rattle/glen_conversation_080918.html
Glen's new album Good To Go, initially released via Pledge Music, goes on general release 21st September. The perfect time to take stock of all things Glen Matlock and Good To Go.

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2018, 09:50:05 AM »
https://www.chaoscontrol.com/glen-matlock-interview-good-to-go/

What made you decide to do a solo album now?
Glen Matlock: ďI had the songs for it and everything fell into place. When you write songs, once you have more than 14 or 15 songs in your head, you canít think straight. You need to get them out, to clear out the cupboard of your mind. Iíd been working with Slim Jim on a few projects, and Iíd done stuff with Earl Slick before, and I didnít realize the two of them knew each other. It sort of fell into place, really. I would have liked it to be a band, but everybody has to do different things these days, and whenever I do a band, everybody puts down ĎEx-Sex Pistolsí on it, so I thought Iíd just call it Glen Matlock.Ē

Over what timespan did you write the songs?
Glen Matlock: ďIt took about 6 or 9 months. I tend to write in batches of songs. You write something, and you think, ĎOh itís going in this kind of directioní or ĎThereís this song I wrote ages ago that never came out; that might fit in if I change it around a little bit.í You just start somehow by doing something and end up with some kind of blueprint in your mind. But what inspired me to make a record sounding the way it did was that about 3 years ago, I went to see Bob Dylan at the Royal Albert Hall in London. Now, while I can appreciate Bob Dylan, I think live, heís dreadful. I think he should give up. But the band he had was fantastic. And I thought, ďOh, maybe I can apply that lighter sort of rock sound to my songs.í And that was the starting point, really. Thatís when I called up Slim Jim [Phantom].
ďIíve been doing loads of acoustic shows around the world. So, I wanted a band on it, but I didnít want it to be too overbearing. Not heavy rock. Iíve done that with the Sex Pistols. Thatís about as heavy as you can get unless youíre talking about death metal, which isnít really my bag these days. And I donít think itís very dignified coming from a 62-year-old guy.Ē